Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   The joys of RE-cycling?? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/the-joys-of-re-cycling-67371.html)

Redraine 02-06-2015 11:14

The joys of RE-cycling??

If you are thinking of visiting the Whinney Hill site to dump any household rubbish you need to try to acquaint yourself with the new, fiendishly complicated rules which apply from yesterday. Otherwise, you stand a very good chance of being turned away and having to bring your load back home. If you can understand the explanatory(?) leaflet which was given to my next door neighbour when being turned away yesterday you are a better man than me! Looking at the rules for Ribble Valley online it would appear that LCC, who also administer their Clitheroe site give them much more leeway. Here, what with 12 monthly permits required for "inert waste", monthly permits for general "household waste", and a limit of 10 bags per year allowed, etc, etc, etc it seems our Hyndburn jobsworths are intent on inviting us to fill the town with even more fly tipping eyesores than we have already.

Michael1954 02-06-2015 11:26

Re: The joys of RE-cycling??

I haven't seen any leaflets about new rules. I disposed of some garden waste last week. Is this now affected by new rules?

gpick24 02-06-2015 11:32

The joys of RE-cycling??

I was under the impression it was just soil/hardcore & plasterboard skips that you needed a permit for (10 bags per year), all other skips are unchanged, has that changed now?

cashman 02-06-2015 11:48

I went up yon yesterday, wi a load of cardboard plus other stuff, all i encountered was a guy nosing in me boot, no-one said out n i was given no leaflet?:confused:

Michael1954 02-06-2015 12:27

From their website this morning.

Types of waste our recycling centres accept - Lancashire County Council

Following the links, it seems you only need a permit if you are using a van, certain types of commercial vehicles or a trailer.

gpick24 02-06-2015 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1954 (Post 1141956)
From their website this morning.

Types of waste our recycling centres accept - Lancashire County Council

Following the links, it seems you only need a permit if you are using a van, certain types of commercial vehicles or a trailer.

It mentions in that link that an inert permit is needed for rubble, hardcore, plaster & plasterboard.
Needing a permit for a van is nothing new, but in the leaflet I got a while back it mentioned that taking rubble, hardcore etc. in a trailer would incur a charge (£17.50 I think)

gpick24 02-06-2015 12:52

And if you follow the inert waste permit link, it takes you here - Apply for a waste permit - Lancashire County Council which suggests you might now need permits for everything.:(

Redraine 02-06-2015 13:32

The rules are a nightmare to understand. All I know is that my neighbour was spitting feathers after being refused permission to dump a few ceramic tiles plus a bucket full of soil, and had to return home with them. Wonderful.

Barrie Yates 02-06-2015 14:28

I went to Whinney Hill about a month ago - general rubbish, black bin stuff and small electrical items. No problem and I was given a leaflet which covered rubble, builder's material stc. but no mention of restrictions for other types of waste.
Unless the Lancashire County Council document (Apply for a waste permit - Lancashire County Council), is a badly worded document then it is inevitable that there will be an increase in fly-tipping - is that what LCC/HBC want?
Yet another example of how our elected representatives can screw up once again.

Margaret Pilkington 02-06-2015 15:06

My husband took a huge bag of nails(removed from pallets) and a brass fire front...grate style thing.
I thought that metals were sought after and sold....these were just chucked in a general waste skip.....not recycled!

gpick24 02-06-2015 15:15

There is a skip there just for scrap metal but if you have a lot it`s worth taking round to the metal recyclers in Huncoat and you`ll get a bit of dosh for it.

Margaret Pilkington 02-06-2015 15:35

He said there was a skip for metal, but that neither the nails nor the brass fire front went in it.

accyman 02-06-2015 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1141965)
My husband took a huge bag of nails(removed from pallets) and a brass fire front...grate style thing.
I thought that metals were sought after and sold....these were just chucked in a general waste skip.....not recycled!

yup theres a big skip that says metal on it

accyman 02-06-2015 17:14

everything that goes through SITAS's gates is sold by them from the rubble to your laptop or TV or even your old iron or hi-fi , sofa etc ( you get the picture)

i find it rather galling for them to charge you to give them something they are going to sell and make money on

dealers in the area pay a monthly fee for what they call the brick a brack cabin where they help themselves to anything they want and then sell the stuff in their shops or flea markets

nothing against a company making money out of peoples unwanted items but to charge people for the pleasure of allowing said company to make money from them is a bit rich

Barrie Yates 02-06-2015 17:16

I have always found the different skips etc. to be clearly identified and the staff there have always been most helpful.