Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Referendum is a load of crap.!! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/referendum-is-a-load-of-crap-67387.html)

DaveinGermany 26-01-2020 11:45

Re: Referendum is a load of crap.!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy Clitheroe (Post 1236291)
the dissipation and destruction of their own culture and nationhood they seem less keen on the idea.

That & having to stump up by putting their hands in their own pockets to boot ....

Jimmy Clitheroe 26-01-2020 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1236302)
That & having to stump up by putting their hands in their own pockets to boot ....

They're expecting the UK to have to pay some 'reparations' for the trouble we have caused by leaving the EU - otherwise they'll be expecting sunny Deutschland to stump up the shortfall.

Margaret Pilkington 27-01-2020 06:53

Coming into circulation on Friday is the new commemorative coin that notes our leaving the EU.
Michael Heseltine says we are rubbing remainers noses in it.
Alistair Campbell says he will not accept one of these in his change...he will hand it back and ask for two twenty pence coins and a ten pence coin
Lord Adonis has made a similar comment.
How petty, how childish they are.
None of them probably use cash anyway....but do they think that refusing this coin will have any effect on us leaving?
If they like the EU so much, then all of them have the ability to go and live in one of the EU countries.

On a different note, Daniel Hannah (MEP) says that three other countries will leave the EU in the 'foreseeable future'.....and he says that the Netherlands are favourite to be first of the three....he thinks Italy might be next(but he thinks that their exit will be because of the severe financial pressure they are being put under by the EU...he thinks they may 'crash out')

The EU is a failed, sclerotic organisation (though I use that term loosely)

cashman 27-01-2020 08:29

Heseltine,adonis, aqnd campbell, also any other Politico. should be completely removed from politics, if they cannot accept democracy even now.

Jimmy Clitheroe 27-01-2020 12:47

If they don't like the 50p's they can always give them to me

Margaret Pilkington 27-01-2020 14:40

Jimmy, you have a fat chance of that.
I would bet that most of those mentioned do not use cash so there is little likelihood of them getting any change.
But, doesn't it just show the calibre of these people....and these are folk who we have(or have had) in government.
Anyway, like I said before...if they like the Eu so much they can move to the continent...they aren't trees.

I hope that the country goes from stregth to strength, just to show these metrpolitan no counts that the UK can stand on its own feet...and that we do not need to be sucked dry by the EU.

Jimmy Clitheroe 27-01-2020 21:51

I'd love the country to improve vastly but something has to be done about the leeches at all levels be they politicians, advisors etc or at the other end of the spectrum the 'entitled' who draw benefits for a 'living'. I used to vote Labour and now I'm sounding more and more like a Daily Mail reader !

Margaret Pilkington 27-01-2020 22:06

Jimmy, it is about fairness.
How can it be fair for a benefit claimant to be better off than someone who is working full time, paying their dues.
Benefits are meant to be a safety net, a helping hand...not a life style choice.
I make no apology for telling it as I see it.
The other thing that really gets my goat is the fact that governments have come and gone and done nothing to rectify the tax loopholes that corporate companies exploit.
They are doing nothing illegal, but by not paying their whack(and they have an awful lot of 'whack') it means that the little man has to pay more....therefore has less disposable income to spend.
If the likes of Google and Amazon, Starbucks and all those other large corporations paid what they really owed then we could have enough to look after the old, the disabled and the vulnerable.

But let's get on with the business of leaving the EU....that should free up some resources.
Let's look at re-appropriating the foreign aid budget.
Let's not give to those countries who have their own space programs...let's make sure the countries we DO give to, use the money wisely perhaps with a proviso that where products they need are made in the U.K.that is where the money is spent.
We have to hope that things will get better and that we will leave the EU eating our dust.
You and I (I am guessing here) are the product of experience and hail from a different era.
We can easily be cynical because we have lived long enough to have seen much and are surprised by little.

Ryewolf90 28-01-2020 01:21

Apparently the new 50p coin commemorating Brexit has a missing Oxford Comma and should be boycotted according to Sir Philip Pullman.... WTF....

The wording on the coin is "Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations.", but he says it should have a Oxford comma after 'prosperity'..... Do these people live in the same world as everyone else?????? It's a comma, that is optional, its purpose is to make a sentence clear, unambiguous, and understandable.

The clever ones amongst you will have noticed I used and Oxford Comma........

Jimmy Clitheroe 28-01-2020 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1236381)
Jimmy, it is about fairness.
How can it be fair for a benefit claimant to be better off than someone who is working full time, paying their dues.
Benefits are meant to be a safety net, a helping hand...not a life style choice.
I make no apology for telling it as I see it.
The other thing that really gets my goat is the fact that governments have come and gone and done nothing to rectify the tax loopholes that corporate companies exploit.
They are doing nothing illegal, but by not paying their whack(and they have an awful lot of 'whack') it means that the little man has to pay more....therefore has less disposable income to spend.
If the likes of Google and Amazon, Starbucks and all those other large corporations paid what they really owed then we could have enough to look after the old, the disabled and the vulnerable.

But let's get on with the business of leaving the EU....that should free up some resources.
Let's look at re-appropriating the foreign aid budget.
Let's not give to those countries who have their own space programs...let's make sure the countries we DO give to, use the money wisely perhaps with a proviso that where products they need are made in the U.K.that is where the money is spent.
We have to hope that things will get better and that we will leave the EU eating our dust.
You and I (I am guessing here) are the product of experience and hail from a different era.
We can easily be cynical because we have lived long enough to have seen much and are surprised by little.

I wouldn't say it's cynicism more looking at things in real terms. The true definition of poverty in past times was not having enough to feed or cloth yourself - now people plead poverty because they can't buy their kids the latest trainers or x-box games. The term poverty (like racism and a whole host of other -isms) lose their true meaning and those most in need end up ignored because the lazy and frivolous cry that they are 'deprived'. People who hold a similar ethic throughout the EU have seen this country as a magnet and soft touch because of the handout culture we have. Getting out of the EU is a start but it is only the tip of the iceberg - once out we need to end this 'entitled' culture.

Exile on Spencer St 28-01-2020 09:13

A coin’s value as a collector’s item is often in inverse proportion to the number that were minted. That’s why the Kew Gardens 50p can sell for over £175.

So, I’ll be quite happy to hear of Remoaners throwing their Brexit 50p into the English Channel as I’ll be keeping any I come across.

It’s just so funny to see how petty and childish are these self-appointed elites who, for once in their lives, have had to accept someone saying NO to them.

Margaret Pilkington 28-01-2020 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy Clitheroe (Post 1236390)
I wouldn't say it's cynicism more looking at things in real terms. The true definition of poverty in past times was not having enough to feed or cloth yourself - now people plead poverty because they can't buy their kids the latest trainers or x-box games. The term poverty (like racism and a whole host of other -isms) lose their true meaning and those most in need end up ignored because the lazy and frivolous cry that they are 'deprived'. People who hold a similar ethic throughout the EU have seen this country as a magnet and soft touch because of the handout culture we have. Getting out of the EU is a start but it is only the tip of the iceberg - once out we need to end this 'entitled' culture.

I grew up in the times when poverty meant having nothing to eat.
I once went into our pantry and all that was in there was a tin of Marie Elisabeth Sardines, a packet of pearl barley and half a bag of Spillers dog biscuits.....and I know that my Mum went hungry so that we could be fed.

As for the entitled culture, I think that WE bred that into our children(I use the 'we' in a collective sense).
It is going to be a hard ask to breed it out of them.

I do not want anyone to 'give' me anything.
I have always paid my way and I want to be able to continue to do that without governmental meddling.

Cynicism is a label attached to those who tell it as they see it...and anyone on here who knows me....knows that this is my trademark.

Ryewolf, as for the Oxford comma.....well not very long ago there was a move to abolish apostrophes.....because folk were too lazy to get them right......a comma is a useful thing, but I am led to believe the Oxford comma is an optional bit of punctuation and is not always necessary.
If the comma is omitted and it does not alter the sentiment then what is the point of using it...well other than showing that you KNOW about it and how it is to be used....academic.
As for Philip Pullman he is nit picking because like many other remainers who have thrown barbs at us wanting to mark an event in history...he would like us all to shut up because he is in denial.

Margaret Pilkington 28-01-2020 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1236391)
It’s just so funny to see how petty and childish are these self-appointed elites who, for once in their lives, have had to accept someone saying NO to them.

That is absolutely spot on.
These elites think they are better educated, and definitely not in the category of the hoi polloi....that is how they see us....the 'below stairs' mob.
They do not like that we have had a say....they do not like that we won the argument....so the well mannered thing would be to accept what they tried to change, but failed.
The juvenile thing is to stamp your feet, lie down, kick and scream and make a right royal show of themselves.
Their antics just show them in their pathetic true colours.

Exile on Spencer St 29-01-2020 18:57

Enjoy this and forward it to your friends and enemies.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/0...k-offs-to-no1/

Margaret Pilkington 29-01-2020 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1236481)
Enjoy this and forward it to your friends and enemies.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/0...k-offs-to-no1/

Well, I just had a listen to that....and while I absolutely detest bad language and the F word....it seemed totally appropriate.(it even made me smile)

What were those MEP's doing.....crying because the EU has given us our walking papers.
Peter Mandelson(he did not get a mention in the song, neither did thebprofessional northerner Terry Christian) is aging that we will rejoin the EU very soon.
In his dreams, Maybe....but I hope to goodness I have left this mortal coil long before THAT happens.