Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Referendum is a load of crap.!! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/referendum-is-a-load-of-crap-67387.html)

Margaret Pilkington 27-01-2020 15:40

Re: Referendum is a load of crap.!!

Jimmy, you have a fat chance of that.
I would bet that most of those mentioned do not use cash so there is little likelihood of them getting any change.
But, doesn't it just show the calibre of these people....and these are folk who we have(or have had) in government.
Anyway, like I said before...if they like the Eu so much they can move to the continent...they aren't trees.

I hope that the country goes from stregth to strength, just to show these metrpolitan no counts that the UK can stand on its own feet...and that we do not need to be sucked dry by the EU.

Jimmy Clitheroe 27-01-2020 22:51

I'd love the country to improve vastly but something has to be done about the leeches at all levels be they politicians, advisors etc or at the other end of the spectrum the 'entitled' who draw benefits for a 'living'. I used to vote Labour and now I'm sounding more and more like a Daily Mail reader !

Margaret Pilkington 27-01-2020 23:06

Jimmy, it is about fairness.
How can it be fair for a benefit claimant to be better off than someone who is working full time, paying their dues.
Benefits are meant to be a safety net, a helping hand...not a life style choice.
I make no apology for telling it as I see it.
The other thing that really gets my goat is the fact that governments have come and gone and done nothing to rectify the tax loopholes that corporate companies exploit.
They are doing nothing illegal, but by not paying their whack(and they have an awful lot of 'whack') it means that the little man has to pay more....therefore has less disposable income to spend.
If the likes of Google and Amazon, Starbucks and all those other large corporations paid what they really owed then we could have enough to look after the old, the disabled and the vulnerable.

But let's get on with the business of leaving the EU....that should free up some resources.
Let's look at re-appropriating the foreign aid budget.
Let's not give to those countries who have their own space programs...let's make sure the countries we DO give to, use the money wisely perhaps with a proviso that where products they need are made in the U.K.that is where the money is spent.
We have to hope that things will get better and that we will leave the EU eating our dust.
You and I (I am guessing here) are the product of experience and hail from a different era.
We can easily be cynical because we have lived long enough to have seen much and are surprised by little.

Ryewolf90 28-01-2020 02:21

Apparently the new 50p coin commemorating Brexit has a missing Oxford Comma and should be boycotted according to Sir Philip Pullman.... WTF....

The wording on the coin is "Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations.", but he says it should have a Oxford comma after 'prosperity'..... Do these people live in the same world as everyone else?????? It's a comma, that is optional, its purpose is to make a sentence clear, unambiguous, and understandable.

The clever ones amongst you will have noticed I used and Oxford Comma........

Jimmy Clitheroe 28-01-2020 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1236381)
Jimmy, it is about fairness.
How can it be fair for a benefit claimant to be better off than someone who is working full time, paying their dues.
Benefits are meant to be a safety net, a helping hand...not a life style choice.
I make no apology for telling it as I see it.
The other thing that really gets my goat is the fact that governments have come and gone and done nothing to rectify the tax loopholes that corporate companies exploit.
They are doing nothing illegal, but by not paying their whack(and they have an awful lot of 'whack') it means that the little man has to pay more....therefore has less disposable income to spend.
If the likes of Google and Amazon, Starbucks and all those other large corporations paid what they really owed then we could have enough to look after the old, the disabled and the vulnerable.

But let's get on with the business of leaving the EU....that should free up some resources.
Let's look at re-appropriating the foreign aid budget.
Let's not give to those countries who have their own space programs...let's make sure the countries we DO give to, use the money wisely perhaps with a proviso that where products they need are made in the U.K.that is where the money is spent.
We have to hope that things will get better and that we will leave the EU eating our dust.
You and I (I am guessing here) are the product of experience and hail from a different era.
We can easily be cynical because we have lived long enough to have seen much and are surprised by little.

I wouldn't say it's cynicism more looking at things in real terms. The true definition of poverty in past times was not having enough to feed or cloth yourself - now people plead poverty because they can't buy their kids the latest trainers or x-box games. The term poverty (like racism and a whole host of other -isms) lose their true meaning and those most in need end up ignored because the lazy and frivolous cry that they are 'deprived'. People who hold a similar ethic throughout the EU have seen this country as a magnet and soft touch because of the handout culture we have. Getting out of the EU is a start but it is only the tip of the iceberg - once out we need to end this 'entitled' culture.

Exile on Spencer St 28-01-2020 10:13

A coin’s value as a collector’s item is often in inverse proportion to the number that were minted. That’s why the Kew Gardens 50p can sell for over £175.

So, I’ll be quite happy to hear of Remoaners throwing their Brexit 50p into the English Channel as I’ll be keeping any I come across.

It’s just so funny to see how petty and childish are these self-appointed elites who, for once in their lives, have had to accept someone saying NO to them.

Margaret Pilkington 28-01-2020 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy Clitheroe (Post 1236390)
I wouldn't say it's cynicism more looking at things in real terms. The true definition of poverty in past times was not having enough to feed or cloth yourself - now people plead poverty because they can't buy their kids the latest trainers or x-box games. The term poverty (like racism and a whole host of other -isms) lose their true meaning and those most in need end up ignored because the lazy and frivolous cry that they are 'deprived'. People who hold a similar ethic throughout the EU have seen this country as a magnet and soft touch because of the handout culture we have. Getting out of the EU is a start but it is only the tip of the iceberg - once out we need to end this 'entitled' culture.

I grew up in the times when poverty meant having nothing to eat.
I once went into our pantry and all that was in there was a tin of Marie Elisabeth Sardines, a packet of pearl barley and half a bag of Spillers dog biscuits.....and I know that my Mum went hungry so that we could be fed.

As for the entitled culture, I think that WE bred that into our children(I use the 'we' in a collective sense).
It is going to be a hard ask to breed it out of them.

I do not want anyone to 'give' me anything.
I have always paid my way and I want to be able to continue to do that without governmental meddling.

Cynicism is a label attached to those who tell it as they see it...and anyone on here who knows me....knows that this is my trademark.

Ryewolf, as for the Oxford comma.....well not very long ago there was a move to abolish apostrophes.....because folk were too lazy to get them right......a comma is a useful thing, but I am led to believe the Oxford comma is an optional bit of punctuation and is not always necessary.
If the comma is omitted and it does not alter the sentiment then what is the point of using it...well other than showing that you KNOW about it and how it is to be used....academic.
As for Philip Pullman he is nit picking because like many other remainers who have thrown barbs at us wanting to mark an event in history...he would like us all to shut up because he is in denial.

Margaret Pilkington 28-01-2020 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1236391)
It’s just so funny to see how petty and childish are these self-appointed elites who, for once in their lives, have had to accept someone saying NO to them.

That is absolutely spot on.
These elites think they are better educated, and definitely not in the category of the hoi polloi....that is how they see us....the 'below stairs' mob.
They do not like that we have had a say....they do not like that we won the argument....so the well mannered thing would be to accept what they tried to change, but failed.
The juvenile thing is to stamp your feet, lie down, kick and scream and make a right royal show of themselves.
Their antics just show them in their pathetic true colours.

Exile on Spencer St 29-01-2020 19:57

Enjoy this and forward it to your friends and enemies.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/0...k-offs-to-no1/

Margaret Pilkington 29-01-2020 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1236481)
Enjoy this and forward it to your friends and enemies.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/0...k-offs-to-no1/

Well, I just had a listen to that....and while I absolutely detest bad language and the F word....it seemed totally appropriate.(it even made me smile)

What were those MEP's doing.....crying because the EU has given us our walking papers.
Peter Mandelson(he did not get a mention in the song, neither did thebprofessional northerner Terry Christian) is aging that we will rejoin the EU very soon.
In his dreams, Maybe....but I hope to goodness I have left this mortal coil long before THAT happens.

Ryewolf90 30-01-2020 00:59

That made me smile too.... Terry Christian was on the news or trending on Twitter the other day

Margaret Pilkington 30-01-2020 07:20

Yes, he is an odious little man....talking about pensioners dying....flipping heck he is 59, so not exactly the youth he thinks he is.

I have heard nothing like the vitriol spewed by the remainers, being spouted by those who voted to leave.

Someone said to me the other day 'what's the difference between a jet engine and a remainer?
The jet engine stops whining when it gets to its destination'
That made me smile too.

Jimmy Clitheroe 30-01-2020 11:12

Terry Christian 59 ? ...maybe physically but more the mental age of a 9 year old spoilt brat.
If ever someone was counter productive to their own argument then it's surely that clown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVO_RNPh3S0

Exile on Spencer St 30-01-2020 13:12

Presumably this is the kind of world Christian (surely the most ironic surname for such a misanthrope?) wants to inhabit.

https://facts4eu.org/news/2020_jan_rank_eu_hypocrisy

Margaret Pilkington 30-01-2020 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy Clitheroe (Post 1236508)
Terry Christian 59 ? ...maybe physically but more the mental age of a 9 year old spoilt brat.
If ever someone was counter productive to their own argument then it's surely that clown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVO_RNPh3S0

I cannot abide this man.
He thinks we should all have the same opinions that he has...he has no time for any other view and is intolerant....does tha sound like facist to you....because it does to me.

His star(if he ever had one) is on the wane and antics like this raise his public profile....but not in a good way.

Margaret Pilkington 30-01-2020 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1236510)
Presumably this is the kind of world Christian (surely the most ironic surname for such a misanthrope?) wants to inhabit.

https://facts4eu.org/news/2020_jan_rank_eu_hypocrisy

That about sums it up.

cashman 30-01-2020 19:52

Whats occured to me, im sure one day the young will grow up, and be a damn site wiser ( i did myself) and they will come to understand why people voted to leave this unholy mess.

Margaret Pilkington 30-01-2020 22:11

I am not entirely sure about that Cashy...they are being educated in a way that seems to prevent them from using their brains...they are NOT being taught how to think, how to critically analyse...thay are being taugh what to think by people who have their own dystopian agenda's

Hill Walker 30-01-2020 23:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1236536)
I am not entirely sure about that Cashy...they are being educated in a way that seems to prevent them from using their brains...they are NOT being taught how to think, how to critically analyse...thay are being taugh what to think by people who have their own dystopian agenda's

The generational divide widened when pocket calculators came out. Children no longer needed to know how to do arithmetic. It widened again when the Web became widely available, now you just look up the answer(s) they are ranked in order of popularity (or are they?).

Jimmy Clitheroe 30-01-2020 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hill Walker (Post 1236537)
The generational divide widened when pocket calculators came out. Children no longer needed to know how to do arithmetic. It widened again when the Web became widely available, now you just look up the answer(s) they are ranked in order of popularity (or are they?).

..don't forget decimalisation too - made it all too bloody easy and encouraged laziness. 12 pennies in a bob, 20 shillings to a pound, half a crown at 2/6d. You had to be sharper to cope with a currency like that. Kilograms, Kilometres all mean nothing to me - I still have to convert them to proper measures for them to mean anything. Thank God we got out now or in another decade we'd be spending billions on road signs in km, changing over to the Euro and probably end up driving on the other side of the road - all at a massive cost to us while still funding the rest of the EU.

Margaret Pilkington 31-01-2020 10:52

The current education system is totally different.
The children are doing stuff at primary school that I did not come across until secondary school....we did not get homework at primary school.

I consider that my education during my school years was sub standard...except, it was suitable for the time....and they were really only educating us to be factory fodder.

Now children are being taught to pass exams, but not really to think broadly...or to question WHAT they are being fed....or WHY they are being taught to think only as those in power want them to think....there has been a serious dumbing down of minds.

This is because those who do not think broadly are easier to control and manipulate.

The internet is a double edged sword....it gives people like me the ability to educate ourselves....but it is also insidious in that it can indoctrinate if you do not analyse what you are being told...and ask yourself the pertinent questions.

I am still learning, still have not got my Masters degree in the University of Life.

Ryewolf90 31-01-2020 23:43

Well, that's it we are now no longer a part of the EU....

Exile on Spencer St 01-02-2020 09:46

But we’ve got to stay alert for another year.
Institutional Remoaners in Parliament, the Civil Service, the judiciary, the metropolitan media, and corporate business will spend this year trying their damndest to continue to frustrate cutting the chains that have bound us to the EU Empire.
But, so far, what a historic victory for ordinary people against the establishment and for democracy itself.

cashman 01-02-2020 09:51

Many of the So-called "Establishment" will do everything they can in next 11 months to frighten people into wanting a second referendum im pretty sure of that BEWARE.

Margaret Pilkington 01-02-2020 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryewolf90 (Post 1236613)
Well, that's it we are now no longer a part of the EU....

Is ther a little hint of anti climax there Ryewolf:):)

I have to say that I never usually stay up to see the New Year in....and for us this is something of a New Year(or maybe a new dawn).....but last night I watched the minutes tick by as we approached the door to our freedom.
And in truth although we are not IN the EU anymore we are not yet completely free.
There were times in the last three+ years that I thought it was all going to fold.
So I feel quietly pleased that we have at last had our vote honoured.

Margaret Pilkington 01-02-2020 11:13

Reading what Exile has written and Cashy too...I agree entirely.
It will not be until a deal(or perhaps no deal, if the EU insist on jacking us about) has been hammered out and the transition ends that we will truly be free and I would not put it past the remoaners to do everything in their power to make this as difficult as possible.
It's not over because the fat lady has not sung....YET

Margaret Pilkington 01-02-2020 12:33

This is what I was doing on the last few minutes before we were out(but not quite all the way).

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/b...going-now.html

MoreJoe 01-02-2020 12:40

Congratulations!
You are out!
Well done!
As Winston Churchill once said:

“Each time we must choose between Europe and the open sea, we shall always choose the open sea.”

Sincerely,
MoreJoe

Margaret Pilkington 01-02-2020 13:28

I agree with Churchill!

cashman 01-02-2020 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1236647)
I agree with Churchill!

i do also,

Exile on Spencer St 02-02-2020 09:52

1 Attachment(s)
Sign outside pub....

Margaret Pilkington 02-02-2020 14:10

The Eu must be really desperate....Donald Tusk is giving hope to Scotland being accepted as a member.
He says he feels very Scottish....does that mean he has his hands on his Trossachs?
No don't answer that...it is a thought too far.

Hill Walker 02-02-2020 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1236704)
The Eu must be really desperate....Donald Tusk is giving hope to Scotland being accepted as a member.

Apparently some other countries are 'interested' in joining the EU. Who else in Europe other than Switzerland, Turkey and Russia are not in. If its Lebanon, Israel (they turn up for the song contest), or the southern med countries they will have to change the name!

Margaret Pilkington 02-02-2020 15:42

slovakia want to join, but that is because the EU are wooing them with vast sums of money...probably that we have poured into the pot.
Also I read something today which says that we will be contributing to the EU coffers until 2064.They also want another billion quid from us because our economy is thriving.
I would be telling them to sit on it and twist until their nose bleeds.

I cannot put into words my complete and utter loathing for this corrupt lot.

Hill Walker 02-02-2020 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1236707)
slovakia want to join, but that is because the EU are wooing them with vast sums of money...probably that we have poured into the pot.

According to Wikipedia Slovakia is already in and the list 'must be up to date' because we are not on it any more.

Margaret Pilkington 02-02-2020 16:34

Oh maybe it is one of those other eastern bloc countries....it isn't Estonia, they're in too.
My daughter and I were talking about it yesterday....it has just come to me....not Slovakia, but Serbia....well, let me off....they do both begin with S.
Never mind, just glad to be out.
I wish them all a happy time.

Margaret Pilkington 02-02-2020 17:59

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/12...vorce-bill-spt

Robbin' dogs!

Exile on Spencer St 02-02-2020 18:28

Assuming the EUSSR still exists in 2064 is debatable.;)

Margaret Pilkington 02-02-2020 20:28

Yes of course...I really hope that it doesn't.
I am hoping it folds in less than ten years...what do you think the chances are?

Exile on Spencer St 02-02-2020 21:57

I guess it all depends on how the electorate in, maybe, three of four countries act.
We have a German friend who tells us there is much disgruntlement amongst her countrymen and women about the EU. But, Germany is even more than ever the economic engine of the EU and, along with their inherited guilt about their neighbours, I doubt their politicians would want to be the ones to ‘destroy’ Europe (again).

Italy could decide it’s not worth staying in. Since they adopted the Euro there’s been little or no economic growth. What’s to lose! But the EU wouldn’t collapse without Italy.

France invented what’s become the EU to protect its peasant farmers and artisans from nasty Anglo-Saxon competition. The trouble with the French is that protesting against their government is an annual ritual, and their police are quite happy to smash French skulls. It’s no coincidence that Macron has exempted the police from the proposed pension cuts that will apply to all other public sector workers. So I doubt the French elite would have any qualms about ‘dealing with’ any anti-EU movement if it started to get close to power.

The interesting one might be the Netherlands. I suspect Verhofstadt is but a lone extremist in a country that has lots of EU sceptics and, if you recall, voted against the early ‘constitution’ that eventually turned into the Lisbon Treaty (you remember, that was the one on which John Major wouldn’t allow us a referendum).

But, then, it’s their Empire. Leave ‘em to it, I say.

Margaret Pilkington 03-02-2020 09:43

That is a very erudite synopsis of the current climate.
I think that what might influence the aquatics a little is that there are going to have to be some hefty hikes in contributions in the coming months and years....and I guess it will also depend on how those still in the bloc view the economic situation here.
Once we get out properly and can forge ahead economically (for that is the hope) then maybe that will be a motivating feature.
Poland won't jump ship...it gets far more out than it puts in.
The EU talk about 'level playing fields' yet they do not practice what they preach.
How can it make sense for a country to contribute 7 billion Euros, but take 11 billion from the pot(by the way, those figures were plucked from the ether, they are not what Poland pay....or at least I don't think so).

Margaret Pilkington 03-02-2020 09:47

I have just looked at the figures of what Poland contributes(these are figures from 2014 and are the latest record)
Poland pays in 3.5 billion Euros per annum, but receives 17.37 billion Euros back.
So where does this extra money come from eh?.....14 billion Euros are coming out of some other mugs pocket.

cashman 03-02-2020 12:16

that is exactly how the E.U. works, and many are much too dense to see it.

Margaret Pilkington 03-02-2020 12:33

Cashy, we leavers are supposed to be the ill educated and thick folk.

cashman 03-02-2020 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1236723)
Cashy, we leavers are supposed to be the ill educated and thick folk.

Aye thats whats so damn funny.;)

Margaret Pilkington 03-02-2020 15:31

You DO mean funny peculiar don't you...?because it certainly isn't funny haha.

cashman 03-02-2020 16:37

yep.

Exile on Spencer St 03-02-2020 19:05

Good article on Spiked today that sums things up.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/0...rexit-britain/

And they didn’t even mention that juvenile twerp Christian!

Margaret Pilkington 03-02-2020 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1236737)
Good article on Spiked today that sums things up.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/0...rexit-britain/

And they didn’t even mention that juvenile twerp Christian!

That is absolutely spot on.

Maybe the media chose those people they wanted to interview and we all know that the media are 'Brexit haters' and have been from the very outset. So would choose people who they consider will represent the elitist viewpoint.

It is all very well for the elitists to generalise about the pensioners, the people they consider ill educated.
These elitist people have NO tolerance for anyone who does not have the same opinion as them.
Now forgive me....but isn't that some kind of fascism?

Margaret Pilkington 03-02-2020 19:45

On a different note.....the way is being paved for a default exit....what is termed 'no deal'
WTO has been notified of our exit.....and if the EU prove to be intransigent, then I guess that maybe Boris will walk away. The threat of it is there anyway. Maybe this will focus the mind of M. Barnier.

I hope this means that we do NOT pay the divorce settlement!

cashman 03-02-2020 20:07

to be honest it dont seem to me like B.J. will be messed about, thats with the way the election went i think.

monkey hanger 07-02-2020 10:57

thought black ties would have been compulsory for all newsreaders after brexit day.

Margaret Pilkington 07-02-2020 15:35

Germany is wanting their own slice of Brexit....but theirs will be Dexit.

The EU wants to punish the U.K. For leaving.
Macron wants to tie us into EU rules and regulations forever.
I wil post links to these stories so that you can see for yourself.

Margaret Pilkington 07-02-2020 15:37

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...-brexit-trade/

Margaret Pilkington 07-02-2020 15:38

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...gela-merkel-eu

Margaret Pilkington 07-02-2020 15:40

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...andards-brexit

Margaret Pilkington 07-02-2020 15:44

Reading those articles, it does seem like the EU still does not 'get'it.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...it-news-Macron

Don't they see that there are more who would love to get out of their stranglehold?
Obviously not.

DaveinGermany 08-02-2020 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1236718)
So where does this extra money come from eh?.....14 billion Euros are coming out of some other mugs pocket.

Think it was the UK's, but that's now been put a stop to & as for the countries looking to join, I was under the impression it was the likes of Serbia, Albania & Macedonia ......

Germany leaving the eu? Not really probable unfortunately, the Germans benefit vastly from the whole process, they make the goods, lend countries the money from their banks(getting a hefty wack of interest), then sell the loanees the German made kit, win-win for Krautlingdom!

Admittedly there are a few grumbles from the Germings & more so now as they realise that with the UKs' readies being well, not so ready anymore they're going to have to stump up more cash, or at least the Gov't will (but that will be coming out of Adolf & Evas' very own pockets). And not just Germany the other major payers will be expected to add to the pot, so not happy Bunnies in the sunny uplands of "eu"topia.

In fact I believe the Austrians & the Dutch have pointedly given a major "Non!" to the subject.

Margaret Pilkington 08-02-2020 13:09

Thanks Son for the perspective from across the channel...it is much appreciated.

I think that there is major unrest in Italy and also France....still fighting over pension pots.
The Channel Islands have put a block on the French trawlers being in UK waters...causing great dischuffment.

Exile on Spencer St 08-02-2020 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1236795)
The Channel Islands have put a block on the French trawlers being in UK waters...causing great dischuffment.

Not to some of us! :rolleyes:

Jimmy Clitheroe 10-02-2020 21:43

Now we are (virtually) out of the EU another referendum needs to be organised....

Restoration of Capital Punishment Referendum.

Why the hell do we end up spending vast amounts more on the perpetrators of heinous criminal acts than we ever do on the victims or those who have suffered ?

Myra Hindley, Ian Brady, Ian Huntley, the killers of Lee Rigby and now this verminous wretch that helped his brother murder children going to a concert all costing us millions of pounds. I don't think the death penalty is a deterrent but the most vile murderers are an ongoing threat to all around them and should be put down like the mad dogs they are. Spending money keeping the likes of those is almost as criminal as the acts they commit.

monkey hanger 11-02-2020 10:11

agree if you were talking about victims of crime only. capital punishment would be seen as a backward step for me apart for terrorists who are not shot on the scene.

Exile on Spencer St 16-02-2020 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1236783)
Reading those articles, it does seem like the EU still does not 'get'it....

Maybe it’ll slowly sink in to those dense skulls in Brussels eventually...

https://facts4eu.org/news/2020_feb_u...ntial_for_eu27

Margaret Pilkington 16-02-2020 13:44

Just do not hold your breath while you wait...I think it will take a while yet....they do not like to admit that this organisation is as bent as a paper clip.

Exile on Spencer St 16-02-2020 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1237195)
Just do not hold your breath while you wait...I think it will take a while yet....they do not like to admit that this organisation is as bent as a paper clip.

That’s not fair! At least a paper clip can keep things together.;)

Margaret Pilkington 16-02-2020 19:03

It's not Fair till Easter(or that is what my dad used to tell me when I wailed those words).

Exile on Spencer St 18-02-2020 16:04

Absolute classic on BBC’s allegedly ‘flagship’ radio programme ‘Today’, today!
And if anyone has any doubt about that programme’s past present and, no doubt, future bias against Brexit, this was it.

Interviewing someone towards the end of the programme about a U.K. company’s new technology being installed on the International Space Station, the male interviewer asked the person whether leaving the EU will adversely affect future work.
There was a very slight pause before the person said ‘no’, and then corrected this well-briefed and educated BBC interviewer by telling him that the European Space Agency had nothing to do with the EU.

We rest our case: BBC Radio 4 is institutionally biased against the British electorate.

Exile on Spencer St 26-02-2020 13:28

Brilliant interview with Claire Fox here:

https://www.spiked-online.com/podcas...ent-is-a-sham/

If you don’t have time for the whole thing, try to listen to the first 22 minutes.

I know I have mentioned it before on here but we have friends in Germany who say that the politicians there use exactly the same excuse about not being able to do things because ‘it’ comes from the EU.
If you’re even more time-stressed, there’s a great insight about this very issue between 18:25mins and 21:24mins which reveals just why the Brexit vote was so important for our hard fought democracy.

Exile on Spencer St 18-03-2020 13:58

For some politicians the current media hysteria over a new flu virus appears to be a godsend.
Macron has confined the French to their homes and got rid of those pesky gilet jeunes at a stroke of his pen while he destroys their pensions.
Banning groups of people (no more than 5 in Austria!) is a great way to stop democratic engagement.
And, here in the U.K., we have our old ‘friends’ in the Remoaner elite, still trying to thwart the result of the referendum and the last election.

https://facts4eu.org/news/2020_mar_brexit_virus

Margaret Pilkington 18-03-2020 14:20

I think the EU cancelled the trade talks in the hope that it would defer the final leaving date....but this is enshrined in law.
The trade talks do not need the physical presence of the negotiators.....many businesses conduct their affairs by video conferencing....so why can't the EU.
The answer is that for every month we are not completely out, we pay 1 billion quid into their coffers.
I have said it many times, they do not want us, or value us...they just want our contributions.
And if we leave with no trade deals then we should pay them not one penny piece.

Exile on Spencer St 30-04-2020 14:43

Here’s some news that, surprise, surprise, you won’t read, hear or watch on the MSM...

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/202...al-commission/

Margaret Pilkington 30-04-2020 17:06

we currently are not hearing much about Brexit. It has fallen off the news radar replaced by scary stuff about the virus.....I hope this doesn't mean there is mischief afoot withour final release date.

monkey hanger 01-05-2020 10:26

it isn,t just brexit its every other item of news thats not virus related that we have not heard about.

Margaret Pilkington 01-05-2020 11:28

The media are not there to present us with news....they are only there to scare-ify us into meek and compliant submission.
To teach us to love house arrest and fear going out into the world....so much so that many people are now saying that they will stay home even when lockdown ends.

That will not be ME.....you won't see my behind for dust.

It is getting really bad when you look in your cupboard for something to lift your spirits and all you find are three oxo cubes, a packet of exlax and a box of Imodium.
Anyone out there swap a pack of Imodium for a Valium sandwich?

Exile on Spencer St 01-05-2020 13:56

Good piece from this lass today.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/0...irrationality/

Margaret Pilkington 01-05-2020 14:03

Hoo-bloody ray someone who talks sense.....someone who is telling it like it is.
Shame the author does not get heard by a wider 'thinking' rather than compliant, scared audience.
Thank you for the link.

monkey hanger 02-05-2020 10:29

one good thing about this virus is that we are not getting climate change thrown at us at every single opportunity by the media. wonder if little greta is lockdowned for good.

DaveinGermany 02-05-2020 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1239789)
wonder if little greta is lockdowned for good.

Now there's a thought to brighten the tedium of corona! :)

Less 02-05-2020 18:28

We aren't using oil she'll see that as a plus and probably be campaigning for more viruses.

monkey hanger 03-05-2020 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1239802)
We aren't using oil she'll see that as a plus and probably be campaigning for more viruses.

in their twisted logic and minds they will be saying that viruses are really good for their planet and for the future of our grandchildren. it will have killed off so many of their detractors so be seen as a plus in their long term stratagy.

Jimmy Clitheroe 08-05-2020 22:59

I see the 'Remain Bleaters' are once again seeking an extension... are they INSANE ? One thing this country does not need at such a time of economic doom and gloom is to be propping up the EU by what would be hundreds of billions of pounds. Don't they see that the country just won't be able to afford a minute longer in this corrupt and dis-functional organisation than it absolutely has to ?

Margaret Pilkington 09-05-2020 10:08

Boris gave the EU 744million quid a few days ago...ostensibly to help the EU with the coronavirus crisis.
I don't really recall seeing much reported about this.
We are still paying A billion quid a month to the EU until we leave entirely in December, so the last thing we need is an extension....because sure as eggs are eggs they would be stinging us for more money to help support this failing organisation.

An extension is prohibited by law....so a new law would need to be passed to make an extension legal.
If the EU cannot come up with a deal then we leave by default.....and they will be the losers.(and they know this)

Exile on Spencer St 09-05-2020 11:18

Why would any independent nation state want to subject itself to an undemocratic, authoritarian, elitist empire that deliberately lies to its ‘citizens’?

https://facts4eu.org/news/2020_may_eu_economy_plunges

Margaret Pilkington 09-05-2020 12:25

As the Swiss observed 'only lunatics join'.

monkey hanger 10-05-2020 09:04

[QUOTE=Exile on Spencer St;1239950]Why would any independent nation state want to subject itself to an undemocratic, authoritarian, elitist empire that deliberately lies to its ‘citizens’?

with recent events then turkey sound a prime candidate.

Exile on Spencer St 21-05-2020 15:03

In these self-inflected days of doom, here’s some good news that really deserves greater attention but, of course, about which the Brussels Broadcasting Corruption remains (no pun intended) silent.

Read it and cheer yourself up.
https://facts4eu.org/news/2020_may_beautiful_david#

Here’s the letter in PDF format which is easier to read on some devices.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...r_19.05.20.pdf

cashman 21-05-2020 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1240387)
In these self-inflected days of doom, here’s some good news that really deserves greater attention but, of course, about which the Brussels Broadcasting Corruption remains (no pun intended) silent.

Read it and cheer yourself up.
https://facts4eu.org/news/2020_may_beautiful_david#

Here’s the letter in PDF format which is easier to read on some devices.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...r_19.05.20.pdf

i have held the view all along we should just tell them to sod off we leave with NO agreement.

Margaret Pilkington 21-05-2020 15:51

Brilliant, now the EU notiatoprs cannotnhide behind the shield of 'the UK being intransigent'

Margaret Pilkington 21-05-2020 16:45

No I wasn'drunk when I wrote that( if I had been drunk I would not have been able to spell intransigent)......just sausage fingered....but I am pretty sure you got my drift.

monkey hanger 22-05-2020 08:16

[QUOTE=Exile on Spencer St;1240387]In these self-inflected days of doom, here’s some good news that really deserves greater attention but, of course, about which the Brussels Broadcasting Corruption remains (no pun intended) silent.

they certainly have been good at ignoring this. better at just stretching the news out on just the virus and not much else. suppose we,ll see pictures of the happy clappers again today looking for their 5 seconds of fame.

Exile on Spencer St 23-05-2020 09:15

Yes, it’s funny (not) that the Brussels Bull**** Corruption ignores the UK’s letter to the EU (which neatly summarises why it’s taken four years to get where we are and why we voted to get out of the decrepit EU Empire), ignores the French navy deliberately guiding economic migrants into British waters, but decides that hounding their bete noir, Dominic Cummings, is headline news.
Pathetic.

Margaret Pilkington 23-05-2020 09:36

I read somewhere that the BBC now accepts that certain parts of the country(namely regions where support for Brexit was strongest) were under represented and largely ignored.
That they have said this as a sop to opinion is just pathetic....and it is too little and way, way too late.

Every question time audience was filled with people who represented what was going on in the metropolitan bubble....there was very little dissent even in places wher support for Brexit was strong....so the Beeb must have been selecting their audiences the way they select their panellists.

It is time to strip the BBC of its charter....let it sink or swim on what it can make in a commercial market.
It is long past it's 'sell by' date and is no longer an unbiased representative of the way life is in this country.

DaveinGermany 26-05-2020 17:01

After browsing for the "Witch hunt" clip I had a look at some others, this is one I've somehow missed, not even sure when it was first aired, but I did have a chuckle though. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-WO73Dh7rY

Margaret Pilkington 26-05-2020 17:40

blocked for us here in the UK...that's the Beeb for you!

Exile on Spencer St 27-05-2020 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1240532)

Why are we not surprised? Having extracted money from the British public to make programmes, the arrogant BBC then censor any of those programmes being shown in Britain without someone stumping up more money.
So much for the BBC’s oft quoted ‘public service remit’. What a joke that has become.

DaveinGermany 28-05-2020 07:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1240532)

Shame that as it is quite amusing, I've now found out it was part of a series of sketches "The nearly complete & utter history of everything" on Al-Beeb 1999-2000. Maybe that'll help you find a playable version if you're interested & you've got nothing else pressing to do. :)

gpick24 30-05-2020 07:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1240573)
Shame that as it is quite amusing, I've now found out it was part of a series of sketches "The nearly complete & utter history of everything" on Al-Beeb 1999-2000. Maybe that'll help you find a playable version if you're interested & you've got nothing else pressing to do. :)

Hope this works..
https://us15.proxysite.com/process.p...6JXw%3D%3D&b=1

monkey hanger 30-05-2020 09:21

[QUOTE=gpick24;1240636]Hope this works..

thanks but it still does not work for me. do not know what those two cars with blacked out windows are doing parked outside my house now.

Margaret Pilkington 30-05-2020 10:30

It will work if you know the URL of something you wish to view and put it into the search, it will bring up what is banned for geographical reasons.

taddy 30-05-2020 10:33

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1240638]
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1240636)
Hope this works..

thanks but it still does not work for me. do not know what those two cars with blacked out windows are doing parked outside my house now.

Does not work for me either, maybe we can share the car.
Your's, The Luddite.