Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Referendum is a load of crap.!! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/referendum-is-a-load-of-crap-67387.html)

cashman 16-05-2016 07:45

Re: Referendum is a load of crap.!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1168744)
By the way, I also will be voting to stay in, ask any ex service personnel, (not saying that I am)

have a mate who's ex service, and thinks the same as me.

Barrie Yates 16-05-2016 07:47

Quote:

By the way, I also will be voting to stay in, ask any ex service personnel, (not saying that I am)

I served 18 years in the Forces. I originally voted to leave and I have only had my convictions hardened since the last referendum by the loss of control to unelected officials riding the gravy train, uncontrolled immigration, unfair fisheries policy, ridiculous bans of equipment by the EU (kettles, light bulbs, toasters, hair dryers and numerous other examples, massive financial costs which would be far better spent on the NHS, Police, schools and many more. As for security - that is provided by NATO - the only involvement militarily by the EU was a fiasco and had then to be recovered by NATO. Intelligence, well the majority of that comes from UK, USA, Canada, Australia & New Zealand - Cheltenham is one of the major sources, and we have seen recently how good the intelligence of France & Belgium are.
If you prefer to live in a European Super State run by Germany and France, with exceptionally high unemployment rates, particularly for the young then that is your choice - you can always emigrate. Just for the record I did live in France for a number of years.

cashman 16-05-2016 08:08

Well thats 2 i know Taddy, sorry Barrie forgot about you.:o

taddy 16-05-2016 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1168793)
Well thats 2 i know Taddy, sorry Barrie forgot about you.:o

Ha, Ha, many thanks for that.

DaveinGermany 16-05-2016 12:53

Quote:

Ex-Army, 11 years in, all in Germany (with jaunts to NI, Canada & the ME 1991 when they were shooting) as part of the NATO alliance (the real reason why peace has been kept within Europe), got out & stayed in Germany, married to a Bartzi Mädel & I'm 110% OUT!

I can endorse Barries argument wholeheartedly & add to it, due to Mental Merkels policies, Germany is on a steady spiral to self destruction, there's quite a bit of resentment in the "Volk" about how things are being run here & when you've got "Sauer Krauts" it's never a good thing!

RainbowSix 16-05-2016 13:11

So Germany won the war in the end :)

I'm still undecided, whatever is said I see nothing as proof of sentiment and peoples feelings.

Its all "what if" and "we may "but there are no hard facts about what will happen.

I consider my kids rights and their erosion through taking away the ECHR etc.

DaveinGermany 16-05-2016 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainbowSix (Post 1168831)

And that same ECHR is at the root of a lot of recent grievances within the UK & elsewhere due to its misuse & interpretation by inept ECHR Judges & further exploited by scummy, slimy human rights lawyers!

The talk is about a British bill of rights for the British people, laws & protections laid down & banged out by the British for the British, an enhancement & modernised version of the "Magna Carta", which for centuries was the basis of our laws & the enabling of our freedoms. It was good enough that many free countries based their own legal & social systems on our model.

The eu's interference has diluted & destroyed its inherent principles & value, should UK fail to break free, what is presently seen as unfair, prejudiced & undermining of British justice will become markedly worse as we'll have no control over an unelected body deciding what's best for us & our constitution. Especially as the effects of their diktats will have no direct bearing on them (the makers) , but will most definitely be used to grind us down & make us complacently accept further binds on our freedoms.

Margaret Pilkington 16-05-2016 13:46

Quote:

yet you do not consider they have a right to have a say in the running of their country...who comes here and who does not....you do not consider their right to jobs, houses, health care.
You want them to live in a Britain which is 'foreign'......whose cultural values will be changed forever.
Just as a matter of interest the ECHR was drafted in 1950 by the Council of Europe(it was drafted at the behest of the Allied Powers and it was hoped to prevent some of the things that went on during the second world war) and came into force in the latter part of 1953.
Do you think the UK had no human rights regulations before this time?(UK human rights were enshrined in common law and go back to 1689)

As I have said in the past, I thnk we will not get out of the EU....but will become even further enmeshed in the finance and politics of this organisation..to the detriment of future generations and the country in general.

Margaret Pilkington 16-05-2016 14:05

And these Human Rights...would they be the ones which protect the criminals rights over those of the victim?...that allow murderer and rapists to stay in this country because it contravenes their human rights to a family life to deport them?...never mind that your child/spouse/ friend is dead and can have no life whatsoever.

This question does not require an answer.

Barrie Yates 16-05-2016 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1168826)
Mental Merkels

Wasn't Hitler considered to be insane as well? Perhaps it runs in the family.:rolleyes::eek:

Barrie Yates 16-05-2016 17:03

Quote:

I'm still undecided, whatever is said I see nothing as proof of sentiment and peoples feelings.

Its all "what if" and "we may "but there are no hard facts about what will happen.

So you agree that rapists and other criminals from other countries can remain here in UK and not be deported? - that is one of the decrees of the EHCR.

Barrie Yates 16-05-2016 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1168836)
And these Human Rights...would they be the ones which protect the criminals rights over those of the victim?...that allow murderer and rapists to stay in this country because it contravenes their human rights to a family life to deport them?...never mind that your child/spouse/ friend is dead and can have no life whatsoever.

I am sorry Margaret, but I do think your statement requires an answer.You responded to a post that apparently supports the right of murderers, rapists, paedophiles, drug suppliers and many other varieties of criminals to remain in the UK because the ECHR says we cannot deport them.
Perhaps they should read a little Shakespeare, may I suggest - John of Gaunt, Richard II, Act II, Scene I

Margaret Pilkington 16-05-2016 18:15

Don't be sorry Barrie, it is a very relevant post.....to what was a rhetorical question.

Barrie Yates 17-05-2016 07:20

Keeping it in the family - Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) figures hidden from the public but seen by Express.co.uk reveal the PM's father-in-law has received at least £614,577.26 in CAP payments since 2008.

Official figures for the scheme, which has been running in its current format since 1999, do not go back to beyond that, but independent data compiled from Freedom of Information requests by an online watchdog indicate Sir Reginald's companies may have received as much as £2.7million in the last 15 years.

Safe to presume that his daughter, and therefore DC, will eventually benefit from this income.

cashman 17-05-2016 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1168891)
Keeping it in the family - Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) figures hidden from the public but seen by Express.co.uk reveal the PM's father-in-law has received at least £614,577.26 in CAP payments since 2008.

Official figures for the scheme, which has been running in its current format since 1999, do not go back to beyond that, but independent data compiled from Freedom of Information requests by an online watchdog indicate Sir Reginald's companies may have received as much as £2.7million in the last 15 years.

Safe to presume that his daughter, and therefore DC, will eventually benefit from this income.

Certainly that sort of thing is well beyond those who think we should stay in.:rolleyes: Thing is no-one really knows one way or the other if it will be good or bad for the economic sector, but what is known is immigration will get far worse if we remain, FACT, but say things like that n yer called a racist.

Margaret Pilkington 17-05-2016 09:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1168897)
Certainly that sort of thing is well beyond those who think we should stay in.:rolleyes: Thing is no-one really knows one way or the other if it will be good or bad for the economic sector, but what is known is immigration will get far worse if we remain, FACT, but say things like that n yer called a racist.

Not by me you won't.
I do not see how stating a fact can be considered racist. If you were to say that all Irish were thick or all French were arrogant...then those would be considered racist...but I doubt that you would be taken to task for it because those two groups of people have thicker skins, they have a more balanced view, than some ethnic groups.( who feel that it benefits them to play the vistim)

Eric 17-05-2016 12:38

Quote:

True indeed. And that's what pees me off so much about Germany (not the Germans, if that makes sense.) After all the shiite hey caused in the last century! Tanj, as Louis Wu would say.

Lucysgirl 17-05-2016 13:04

Quote:

I've had to train myself not to have an apoplectic fit whenever I read that our legal eagles haven't managed to persuade EU judges that it's in Britain's interest to eject undesirables from our shores - can't they understand their own Human Rights document!

ARTICLE 8
Right to respect for private and family life
Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family
life, his home and his correspondence.
There shall be no interference by a public authority with the
exercise of this right EXCEPT such as is in accordance with the
law and is necessary in a democratic society in the interests of
national security, public safety or the economic wellbeing of the
country, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection
of health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms
of others.

cashman 17-05-2016 13:34

Perhaps its cos they have no wish too Lucy,? after all legal eagles make loads of dosh from this stuff, ask cherie blair.:rolleyes:

RainbowSix 17-05-2016 15:32

Don't be so bloody stupid!
Of course I don't support rapists and murderers, you suggestion so is damn insulting!

The EHCR has nowt to do with keeping scum like that in this country, our government and security forces are well able to do whats required to get rid of them.

I have just said that I consider my kids rights that have been given to them by Europe.
That's not ALL that is for consideration, just part of it.

What happens if we leave, will all this that your saying suddenly come true?
Will it heck as like, will the magna carta etc be given more subsistence than it already has? Or will it continue to just be a legacy thing that we no longer apply as much.

As I have said - I do not know all the details that should enable me to make a choice, because I cannot see them with verification of accuracy, of being current and knowing what will happen once we do leave.

I have a feeling that if we do, not a lot will happen before I'm dead, pollytiks do not work that fast.

Don't bother replying if all you can do is come out with stupid comments that cannot be quantified with accurate visible facts I can read to aid me making a decision.

You want to vote out then vote out, some of us consider what the future could be like if the UK government was allowed to remove some of what european laws have given us.
There is a good side to europe you know.

Less 17-05-2016 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainbowSix (Post 1168929)
Of course I don't support rapists and murderers, you suggestion so is damn insulting!

The EHCR has nowt to do with keeping scum like that in this country, our government and security forces are well able to do whats required to get rid of them.

I have just said that I consider my kids rights that have been given to them by Europe.

Will it heck as like, will the magna carta etc be given more subsistence than it already has? Or will it continue to just be a legacy thing that we no longer apply as much.

As I have said - I do not know all the details that should enable me to make a choice, because I cannot see them with verification of accuracy, of being current and knowing what will happen once we do leave.

I have a feeling that if we do, not a lot will happen before I'm dead, pollytiks do not work that fast.

Don't bother replying if all you can do is come out with stupid comments that cannot be quantified with accurate visible facts I can read to aid me making a decision.

You want to vote out then vote out, some of us consider what the future could be like if the UK government was allowed to remove some of what european laws have given us.

From what you say and the way you say it I take it that a logical discussion is, unfortunately out of the question?

cashman 17-05-2016 15:40

Well sunshine its you making stupid comments, if yeh think we are able to do whats required to get rid em, obviously yeh dont follow the news, cos a village idiot would know that.:rolleyes:

Wynonie Harris 17-05-2016 16:09

What's the ECHR got to do with the referendum?

Even if the UK votes to leave on June 23rd, we'll still be bound by the ECHR just like Norway is.

Anders Breivik?s human rights violated in prison, Norway court rules | World news | The Guardian

cashman 17-05-2016 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1168937)
What's the ECHR got to do with the referendum?

Even if the UK votes to leave on June 23rd, we'll still be bound by the ECHR just like Norway is.

Anders Breivik?s human rights violated in prison, Norway court rules | World news | The Guardian

I wonder who looks bloody stupid now?:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 17-05-2016 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainbowSix (Post 1168929)

Your suggestion that the ECHR has nothing to do with keeping scum in this country(your words - not mine) is frankly ludicrous.
There have been many incidences where murderers and rapists have been allowed to remain,because sections of the ECHR have been cited as being contravened if we ejected them.
But you are happy for your children to live in a country who has no control over its borders.

As for facts as to what will happen if we leave....let me assure you that NO ONE KNOWS.
definitive facts are not available because it has not been done before....there is only conjecture assumptions and plain guesses.

We know for a fact that Turkey is going to be given EU status....that means that Turks can come here and seek what for them is a better life.
It also means that they will gain access to jobs, health care, benefits(regardless of what David Cameron has said about the renegotiations - they are not worth the paper they are printed on.
Member states will be able to veto them, and what is more they have said they will do so) your children will be in competition with these migrants for jobs, health care, houses, benefits....but you want that.

All the refugees flowing into Europe right now will be given EU passports which will allow them to come here too....but you think this is alright for your children and their future.
These refugees have gained access to Europe on fake documents, so we have absolutely no knowledge of their backgrounds or whether they mean us harm.
They certainly will not subscribe to a western way of life....but this the future you would choose for your children.

I have thought my opinions through after looking at as much information as is available from many and varied sources.
I am also old enough to remember what our country was like before we joined the common market...which is what it was sold to the UK electorate as.

If you went out and paid for a super duper car, but once you had handed your money over you found you had bought a camel wouldn't you feel aggrieved?

Even more so when governments of all colours have taken little notice of what the electorate wanted....getting us more enmeshed in an organisation that is corrupt and has not had a budget ratified by auditors for 21 years.

So, you want all this AND erosion of democracy for your children....they will be ruled by people who they have not sanctioned by a vote....laws will be made for them by people they cannot remove.
Forgive me if this is all too much information for you...But my vote(probably a waste of time and ink) will be for us to get OUT.

Margaret Pilkington 17-05-2016 16:25

Yes there is something good about Europe....it is that we are separated by the English Channel.

Margaret Pilkington 17-05-2016 16:32

My vain hope is that people think about what politicians are telling us and reason things out for themselves.
If someone is suggesting we remain, just check out to see if they have ulterior motives for this stance.....and many politicians do....they hope to jump on a very lucrative EU gravy train when their UK political career is over.
Check out to see if they are involved in businesses which rely heavily on EU subsidies.
If this proves to be the case, take their scary stories with a healthy dose of cynicism.....whatever authority they seem to speak wit.....THEY DO NOT KNOW!

Less 17-05-2016 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1168943)
THEY DO NOT KNOW!

Let's make that the motto of this thread, no matter whether for or against whatever is in the future, they don't know.

So speculating about the results and perhaps frightening someone to vote one way or the other is WRONG.

What needs to be done is to allow folk to see the results of our membership, let them decide has this been good for me and mine (nation not family).

If not then, vote out, otherwise vote remain.

Whichever is your choice do not pretend you know the future, if I could predict the future I wouldn't bother with the EU I would just invest in the lotto with the following 6 numbers...

Eric 17-05-2016 18:27

Quote:

murderer and rapists

Holy feces Batperson ... you got Mexicans too:eek:

Barrie Yates 17-05-2016 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1168954)
Holy feces Batperson ... you got Mexicans too:eek:

Oh yes - and just about every other nationality that is allowed to wander freely through the rest of the EU without being required to register in the first safe country that they arrive in and then enter UK illegally.

Margaret Pilkington 17-05-2016 18:44

These refugees, are not refugees.....they are economic migrants travelling under the guise of refugees.
As you say, a refugee would settle in the FIRST SAFE COUNTRY where they made landfall.....but these countries are not as soft as the UK....So that is where they head for.

RainbowSix 17-05-2016 18:54

Margaret, you make my point exactly:
Quote:

As for facts as to what will happen if we leave....let me assure you that NO ONE KNOWS.
definitive facts are not available because it has not been done before....there is only conjecture assumptions and plain guesses.
Your all harping on that brexit will mean that we do not have immigration problems, that rapists and murderes, child molesters etc. will be a thing of the past if we leave.

You're guessing, your also wrong. (They will still be here and still come).

But thats absolutly not true is is, as you say we do not know, we also will not be able to simply chuck them out.

What about the rights that we have because of Europe? the disability discrimination? the race discrimination issues etc that are protected by European laws?

Think about what the politicians are telling us? I'm not going to search for it but I'm pretty sure that we could find another thread where you or others are calling them all liars, that they are dishonest and not to be believed. So why would we listen to them?

I listened to the clip where an economist did the maths and said that by 2030 we would have paid off our national debt for being out, the current debate on CH4 where being out would be fairer in that everyone no matter where they come from face the same border bureaucracy and checks. All good, but what about the European laws that force us to make our products safer? the European laws that mean that our products must meet EMC standards, so that they do not interfere with other things? CE certifications that are designed to make our childrens toys safe? simple yes - but they are good things born out of European laws..

So as Less puts it so well, using terms like saying that someone agrees with keeping murders and rapists in this country just because they are undecided or want to stay in - is wrong.

(And imo this makes a change for Less to have reasoned comment - lol)

We simply do not have such a closed mind on what Brexit means and are considering lots of other issues than immigration (which is actually a very small part of it).

But you keep your vitriol up, it will only make people like me vote to stay in just because we know it will p1$$ you off :)

Have a nice day, I cant pass it to you so I'll eat your share of this ice cream...yum yum :)

cashman 17-05-2016 19:05

Doubt very much if it will make people like you vote the opposite, yeh aint fooling anyone with that line.:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 17-05-2016 19:21

So you think I made your point....I did not make your point. You were asking for firm facts....THERE AREN'T ANY. Get over it. don't expect other people to find out information for you. Go out and seek it for yourself.....do a bit of reasoning.....do some working out.

It has already been pointed out to you that ECHR existed(in some form or another) long before we became members of the common market......and whatever happens, it will not disappear.
You consider that I am wrong about the migration that will come if we stay in the EU.....I hope I am wrong....for your children's sake.
I DO know that leaving the EU is not only about migration....and if you have read through this thread you will know that.
That you feel my responses are vitriolic says more about you than it does about me.....and it won't irritate me( though you use different terminology).

As for me calling politicians liars......yes, and I will continue to do so until they prove that they are telling me the truth(i won't hold my breath waiting).
I am not believing them....I am seeking out information for myself...not swallowing whole what they want me to believe. They have ulterior motives and none of them will benefit me...or you.
And who is this 'we' you are talking about? My mind is made up....but only after careful consideration of many issues......so yes, right now my mind is closed.

I am quite resigned to the fact that many of the electorate will put their cross in the box that keeps us in a sclerotic corrupt organisation....an organisation which has very little will to reform......and I will be very very surprised if anything changes.
enjoy your ice cream.....I am pleased to let you have my share....i can't eat it and it is better on your waist line than mine.

Margaret Pilkington 17-05-2016 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainbowSix (Post 1168963)
Margaret, you make my point exactly:

Your all harping on that brexit will mean that we do not have immigration problems, that rapists and murderes, child molesters etc. will be a thing of the past if we leave.

You're guessing, your also wrong. (They will still be here and still come).

But thats absolutly not true is is, as you say we do not know, we also will not be able to simply chuck them out.

Of course the murderers and child molesters will not be a thing of the past...That wasn't what was being said.(and I think you know this)

We would though, be able to control our borders. We would be able to say who comes in and who does not. We would be able to impose restrictions on those who were undesirable or detrimental to the country. Currently if these undesirables have an EU passport they can come here
And of course those who are already here could not be forced to leave.

If you look back through this thread you will see that I have mentioned many issues other than migration.....but it is uncontrolled migration that worries most people.
I have mentioned the undemocratic way in which the EU operates, business rules and regulations which tie up small businesses(the large ones break through these)....I have mentioned agriculture and the unfair nature of quotas.....many more things than migration.

DaveinGermany 17-05-2016 20:33

Quote:

We simply do not have such a closed mind on what Brexit means and are considering lots of other issues than immigration (which is actually a very small part of it).

Immigration may be a small part of the debate but it certainly has the most major impact on everything else. Getting out won't cure all our ills or return Britain to what it was 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 years since, but it will at least put a brake on the galloping changes happening to the Country.

Getting out of the eu would save the Country money (the exact amount can't be stated as all the figures are juggled to suit the claimant) but we'd certainly save at least all sides are agreed upon that. The money saved could then be reinvested within the UK as "we" require & on what "we" decide.

Control of our borders would be in our hands & "we" could decide the requirements & conditions for entry as they suit "us" & not because we belong to some "club" whose members we have to admit regardless.

Housing, health & education are all impacted by immigration whether you like it or not. The bigger the population the more pressing the needs on the aforementioned services, added to that the illiteracy & inability of immigrants to grasp the basics of the English language adds further costs in the form of translated forms & paper work or interpretors.

Benefit payments reduce the Countries ability to pay for services for its populace, it's problem enough when you're paying for your own lame & lazy who've no intention of contributing to society, but what's even worse is paying for the rest of the worlds sick, lame & lazy who not only won't work, but can't work because of language or education (immigrants mainly) at least our own can be gotten a grip on.

So you see where this is going, you may dismiss immigration as an irrelevance, but it most certainly isn't, it is in fact an extremely relevant issue.

And finally before you get on at me about being a little Englander/racist/fascist/Nazi or whatever hand wringing, whining lefty epithet you deem fitting, a few facts about me.

I left UK with the Army, based in Germany, worked with various nationalities & religions, learnt the language(German, even some Nepali), got out (See, I'm also an immigrant) married & settled here, assimilated into the community & lived as a good little european, travel extensively round NW Europe, & most importantly, work hard (doing some god awful jobs) & pay my way in society.

But I still think UK should get OUT!

Margaret Pilkington 17-05-2016 21:09

Not a drop of vitriol was spilt in the above post.
Well said!

cashman 17-05-2016 21:30

Well i can do vitriol, a closed brain is preferable to a closed mind, of one who to me has a head like Birkenhead.:rolleyes:

Lucysgirl 18-05-2016 00:50

Quote:

.... but what about the European laws that force us to make our products safer? the European laws that mean that our products must meet EMC standards, so that they do not interfere with other things? CE certifications that are designed to make our childrens toys safe? simple yes - but they are good things born out of European laws..

I'm being a bit pedantic here but I'd just like to point out that prior to the UK eventually conforming to CE Certification in every field back in the 1990s, all products, installations, etc., etc., had to conform to British Standards (BSI) which were always being updated - some even required higher safety standards than the EU certification.

Lucysgirl 18-05-2016 03:57

My TV preferences recently have been keeping abreast of British sports and it was only by chance that I saw Channel 4's EU poll and discussion yesterday.

EU poll ? ethnic minorities hold the balance of power | Gary Gibbon on Politics

Contrary to some posters view the participants in the TV discussion made it plain that immigration from (none English speaking) Eastern Europe concerned them greatly

If this country had nothing to offer we wouldn't be experiencing great influxes of foreigners (7,505,000 foreign born as per the 2011 census - the largest group being Irish. The whole total is a 53.3% increase on 2001 census - presumably some would have British born offspring).

Once the Referendum results are known the initial reaction will be from the international money markets. If our creditors such as Moodys etc., don't like the result our credit rating will slide down, the value of Sterling will fall and cuts will have to be made.
The first time I experienced a downturn in the country's fortunes was in 1967. My husband was a low paid Forces man and in mid 1960s was doing the work of three men due to cuts that were being made to HM Forces. When cuts are made what happens is higher paid men with experience are dismissed before their contract is ended and some replaced with new recruits who are on the lowest pay grade. In 1966 he was posted to NATO in France where we joined him, but a few months later, in 1967, NATO removed to Holland and it was then that the penny dropped that Britain was in the doldrums because the country couldn't afford to pay their men the overseas allowance which was supposed to take their pay up to a "living wage" in the country where they resided. After demob in 1970 it was even more obvious that there was no money in the country's coffers. I had the same experience as younger Brits, no vacancies advertised in the job centre, a ten year waiting list for social housing, estate agencies closed down due to no houses for sale which meant four of us sharing one room in parent's house. Prices in the shops had sky rocketed. However, Britain must have had something to offer foreigners whilst we were abroad because there was evidence of immigrants, as bus conductors were obviously from the African colonies and for the very first time I saw women shrouded in black from the Indian continent.

I'm still sitting on the fence, but whatever happens, we'll survive.

Margaret Pilkington 18-05-2016 06:41

Mind you don't get splinters in your bum.....you would need a friend with a sterilised implement to get them out.
I have listened, I have searched, I have considered carefully the assumed and projected implications of my vote.
If we do not leave then despite having a gold plated credit rating life will be tough.
The EU do not take kindly to little upstart countries doing an 'Oliver' and they have almost come out and said they will make us pat.
The EU wants compliant subservient members who do as they are told without any back chat.
We saw what happened to Ireland when a referendum went( according to the EU) the wrong way.....they were sent back to vote again and come up with the right answer.

If we stay in, then why don't we just get rid of our parliament....because most of the rules and laws will come from Brussels.

If we stay in and more of the Eastern bloc are allowed to join the EU as is mooted, then these people will also want to come here.
Their thieves and thugs will come here to what they see as rich pickings.....and we will have no way to stop them. How can this be? Other countries are bound by the same ECHR codes, but they manage to shift the thugs, the rapist and the murderers.....the answer lies in the fact that the British way is to follow rules slavishly.....and of course the rigidity of the interpretation. France bends the rules to suit her people.....the UK does not.

People come here and want it to be like their old country....they do not integrate.
If they want it to be like their old country, then that is where they belong.
You do not adopt a country then start trying to convert it to a copy of what you left.

Many of the migrants do not bother to learn the language. They have no need to. They live in their own little(or not so little) enclaves, they shop in shops owned and run by their own people.
Whatever happens...yes of course we will survive....but life should not be about survival.
We need to take back the controls to our destiny....to be able to take the direction we want
to go in....not be dragged along by the Federal States of Europe.
The larger the EU becomes and the more unstable it gets.

cashman 18-05-2016 12:58

As the late Tony Benn said, if people in this country in power, do things you dont want, you can do summat about it, cos they are elected, but in the E.U. all the top positions are appointed so yer stuffed, think about the implications of that if yer capable.

Margaret Pilkington 18-05-2016 13:11

The other thing Cashy is that the bigger the country, the more votes they have on issues....which is why in the 70 cases the UK has voted on, not one of them has gone in our favour.
So we are paying 350million quid every week to have no influence whatsoever.
I think we are the second largest contributor to the coffers of the EU.

Barrie Yates 18-05-2016 14:28

Apparently the EU has held back on the intention to merge the London & Frankfurt Stock Exchanges, according to a couple of reports from News Agencies.
The announcement is now due to be made in July.
Perhaps the Germans intend to control the largest financial market in Europe as well as everything else?

Less 18-05-2016 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1169034)
Perhaps the Germans intend to control the largest financial market in Europe as well as everything else?

Welcome to the 4th reich!
Ich bein ein Berliner!
I don't remember choosing that fate but, millions had no choice 70 odd years ago either!

Margaret Pilkington 18-05-2016 14:46

If this merger goes ahead the Deutsche Borse will own 54.4% of the London stock exchange.
The merger as Barrie has pointed out will not now take place until sometime in July......this deal is to stop thwart the interest shown by the owner of the New York stock exchange.....and of course to supposedly save money. The deal is worth 20 BILLION pounds.

Margaret Pilkington 18-05-2016 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1169036)
Welcome to the 4th reich!
Ich bein ein Berliner!
I don't remember choosing that fate but, millions had no choice 70 odd years ago either!

They must be spinning in their graves right now. All those lives lost and for what?
We just roll over and let ourselves be taken over by foreigners:(

Less 18-05-2016 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1169038)
They must be spinning in their graves right now. All those lives lost and for what?
We just roll over and let ourselves be taken over by foreigners:(

Now, now, Margaret, we should welcome the takeover with open arms, we don't want to be seen as racists.

Margaret Pilkington 18-05-2016 15:51

Well, people can think what they want of me.
Attaching a label only closes down sensible debate.

DaveinGermany 18-05-2016 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1169036)
Ich bein ein Berliner!

That comment always makes me grin!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berliner_%28doughnut%29

That's why. :D

Less 18-05-2016 17:38

Indeed I believe I copied a president that didn't duck quick enough with that comment, when stood against the wall myself I hope my sacrifice will be just as worthy.

Margaret Pilkington 18-05-2016 18:01

Less, you will be alright...as long as they are only firing at you with doughnuts :)

Barrie Yates 18-05-2016 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1169045)
That comment always makes me grin!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berliner_%28doughnut%29

That's why. :D

Don't forget Berliner Kindl DinG - wrapped myself around a lot of those whilst in Berlin - the Western Zone:D

DaveinGermany 18-05-2016 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1169049)
Don't forget Berliner Kindl DinG :D

How could I? Gopping stuff! No wonder the Germings have it with "Schuß"! :D

Lucysgirl 20-05-2016 02:22

Even with light entertainment programmes, it's getting harder to miss a passing reference to the Referendum because after a discussion about a book, a play, a cow in calf, etc., the interviewer now asks, "and before you go, have a you a view on the Referendum".

Watching Paxman was always a must, so in anticipation of seeing him raise the proverbial Sword Of Damocles over the heads of the Leaders of the EU in Brussels I anticipated I'd be needing my own trusty Charger for the hour (my sofa) and razor sharp rapier (my tongue to make cutting remarks). A bit of a let down, as the fiery Paxman of old didn't appear, instead was an old, laid back, chap asking mild questions.

I was taken aback by how large the Brussels HQ buildings are - they'll definitely be taking a fair bit of our money just to pay for the running and maintenance of the building never mind the staff. I'd read in UK papers that we employ ten thousand people but the online German newspaper Der Spiegel numbers them at thirty-three thousand! An Inside Look at the European Commission - SPIEGEL ONLINE

I found myself accepting the explanation of the stupid "straight banana and cucumber" regulation that came into being solely because they had been grouped in a long greengrocery list. Those of us who buy from a greengrocer know that there's often a sign that says "Class A", etc. which means long gone are the days when you'd buy (say) a bag of spuds containing a few clods of earth and possibly evidence of a wireworm grub enjoying being housed in a potato.

I remember hearing reports year after year that the auditors hadn't signed off the EU accounts but it's been kept quiet that they've been signed off every year since 2007 - I've just surfed to see if that's the case and found this explanation written in 2014 :- "The European Court of Auditors (ECA), an EU body set up to examine the accounts of the Union, signed off on the 2014 accounts as reliable—something it's done for every set of figures since 2007. But it did find that payments made were materially affected by error." ... the explanation for a 2% "error" is explained on this webpage:-
https://fullfact.org/europe/did-audi...ign-eu-budget/

I think the billion people in the EU knows that that Body splashes money about like it's going out of fashion and it's got to stop. It's not right that EU civil servants are paid more than our own MPs and Prime Minister. Here's an idea of the starting Salaries, Expenses and pensions:- Permanent officials

It's horrendous to think that one PM actually waived and gave away our discount which means we could be paying around £350million per week. The webpage below states with discount we pay about £250million a week.
https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-m...ee-55-million/

Also on Independent TV news tonight was a piece which showed two small companies; one company boss is voting to exit, the other is voting to stay in. The latter has a healthy order book for furniture fabric. Of a straw poll taken of some of his workers most will be voting to exit. The owner of the fabric company says he has a healthy trade in the EU and would have voted to exit but changed his mind after one incident. This being that he'd decided to promote his business in South America. He was successful in getting an order but had problems getting his order to S.America via France (probably striking French workers?). If you look at the airline routes on this map of the world you can see that there's only one direct flight from Heathrow to Brazil (the red line on the map). All flights to other South American countries have to go from the UK via Europe and thus via France (the blue lines). Presumably the fabric manufacturer is frightened he'll lose some/most/all of his EU customer base if we exit and French workers could jeopardise any other overseas trade. (I bet once he sees the TV programme he'll be having a word with his employees lol). oneworld Online Timetable

Less 20-05-2016 08:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1168930)
From what you say and the way you say it I take it that a logical discussion is, unfortunately out of the question?

Quote:

(And imo this makes a change for Less to have reasoned comment - lol)

Thank you for your most informed reply to my question.

RainbowSix 20-05-2016 18:23

OMG! Just realised that I'd not be covered by the EHCR when going abroad, what happens if I become ill etc over the pond?

Good job I don't do that too often.
lol

cashman 20-05-2016 18:33

yer not really covered now.:rolleyes: when you need medical attention these days, the first thing they ask you for is yer credit card. FACT it happened to us.

Barrie Yates 20-05-2016 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainbowSix (Post 1169206)
OMG! Just realised that I'd not be covered by the EHCR when going abroad, what happens if I become ill etc over the pond?

Good job I don't do that too often.
lol

If by "going over the pond" you mean the Atlantic the European Health Card isn't going to be much use - USA & Canada aren't involved with the European
Health System - you need to take out private health insurance. On my many trips there my US Company always provided American Express Health insurance - otherwise health care over there could easily spoil you trip.

Margaret Pilkington 21-05-2016 08:15

Jean Claude Junker, President of The European Commission has waded in and said the the EU will make life 'hell' for the UK if it decides to leave.

He has also thrown doubt on the ability of the EU to facilitate the reforms that David Cameron thinks he has secured.
This is from the Times newspaper....not one of the red tops....the story is also covered by Beitbart. The Telegraph, the Express and various other news papers also carry this story.

If any proof were needed that we are an inconsequential part of the EU when it comes to our opinions, but only required to cough up the dough and shut up about all that is wrong with the EU....then this must rank highly as being it!

cashman 21-05-2016 08:34

That comment could turn out to be a good thing for the leave campaign imho, the British have never taken kindly to threats, as the second world war will tell us. so yeh just never know.;)

Less 21-05-2016 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1169250)
Jean Claude Junker, President of The European Commission has waded in and said the the EU will make life 'hell' for the UK if it decides to leave.

He has also thrown doubt on the ability of the EU to facilitate the reforms that David Cameron thinks he has secured.
This is from the Times newspaper....not one of the red tops....the story is also covered by Beitbart. The Telegraph, the Express and various other news papers also carry this story.

If any proof were needed that we are an inconsequential part of the EU when it comes to our opinions, but only required to cough up the dough and shut up about all that is wrong with the EU....then this must rank highly as being it!

Well that convinces me, I'm going to vote stay, I always give in to bullies.
:mad:

cashman 21-05-2016 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1169261)
Well that convinces me, I'm going to vote stay, I always give in to bullies.
:mad:

Yeh swine i just slipped in the bull****.:D

Less 21-05-2016 10:29

Yet more frightening news:-
EU referendum: George Osborne warns Brexit could see value of homes fall by a fifth*

Which you would think would be good for first time buyers, but the artical also manages to put the frighteners on them as well.

Margaret Pilkington 21-05-2016 10:30

Now Cashy...if you swallowed what Less has just said...what other grabage are you guilty of swallowing? :)

Margaret Pilkington 21-05-2016 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1169263)
EU referendum: George Osborne warns Brexit could see value of homes fall by a fifth*

Which you would think would be good for first time buyers, but the artical also manages to put the frighteners on them as well.

The salient word in that bit of fear stoking is 'COULD'....which really means he hasn't got any idea what it would do to house prices.
If we stay there will be no houses to buy anyway...they will be taken up by migrants.......there won't be schhol places because the migrants tend to have larger families.
I have neither heard nor seen anything which will stop me from voting to leave.

cashman 21-05-2016 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1169263)

Whilst that would happen if that were the case, it would also be much easier for the young to get a mortgage? guess he forgot to add that?:rolleyes:

Less 21-05-2016 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1169270)
Whilst that would happen if that were the case, it would also be much easier for the young to get a mortgage? guess he forgot to add that?:rolleyes:

As I said he even attempts to put the frighteners on that theory.

Quote:

Mr Osborne’s report will also warn that first-time buyers would also be hit because leaving the EU would cause mortgage interest rates to rise sharply.

Margaret Pilkington 21-05-2016 12:28

Yes.....that is the theory.......but as I said, staying in poses problems which are just as thorny and wide reaching.......and these things are just conjecture, assumptions, suppositions.....all euphemisms for guesswork.

Margaret Pilkington 21-05-2016 12:38

Have you seen the list of actors who are all advising us that it would be so much better for us to remain.......... the thing that they do not realise is that we know that if we stay the strictures and difficulties that this poses would hardly affect them...they have access to private health care...not for them the wait in A&E to see a doctor...or a ten day wait to see a GP. They can send their offspring to private schools and they will not rub shoulders with roma children, or turks or albanians,slovenians....(OK they aren't in yet...but they are hoping to be).
They will not be affected when wages are forced down still further......so why should we listen to them? What real influence do they have on our lives...if Benedict Cumberbatch, or Keira Knightley disappeared from my screen tomorrow it would not affect me one jot.

Another little aside...i read somewhere that David Cameron is considering giving peerages to those Loyal tory MP's who support his remain campaign...so how does that strike you?
Bribery, corruption or just plain running scared. We all know the polls are saying that the remain have the lead...but remember the last election and the Scottish Referendum...the polls were of very little value because they were just wrong.(Please let them be wrong in a major way this time - is all I ask)

shillelagh 21-05-2016 14:18

I admitted the other day .. that on the day of the vote I will go in, pick up my paper and go ip dip sky blue and you are not it ... and that's how im going to choose ....:D

Margaret Pilkington 21-05-2016 14:26

Jen I suppose it is as good a way as any.......and at least there is a 50% chance you will land on the Leave section :)

shillelagh 21-05-2016 14:40

haven't the foggiest which way to vote ... so to me its going to be the easiest way to decide ...:D

taddy 21-05-2016 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1169266)
The salient word in that bit of fear stoking is 'COULD'....which really means he hasn't got any idea what it would do to house prices.
If we stay there will be no houses to buy anyway...they will be taken up by migrants.......there won't be schhol places because the migrants tend to have larger families.
I have neither heard nor seen anything which will stop me from voting to leave.

Please stop using big words like "Salient", I have had to dig out the dictionary in order to look it up; I only went to Woodnook, as you know.;););) Your's Taddy

Margaret Pilkington 21-05-2016 14:52

I didn't think 'salient' was a big word.
I only went to Woodnook too.....look at it as a learning curve Taddy. :)

shillelagh 21-05-2016 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1169286)
Please stop using big words like "Salient", I have had to dig out the dictionary in order to look it up; I only went to Woodnook, as you know.;););) Your's Taddy

so what does salient mean taddy?

taddy 21-05-2016 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1169274)
Yes.....that is the theory.......but as I said, staying in poses problems which are just as thorny and wide reaching.......and these things are just conjecture, assumptions, suppositions.....all euphemisms for guesswork.

Even more big words, you are far too verbose for me Marge.:hehetable:hehetable

Margaret Pilkington 21-05-2016 14:55

Yes, but I did give you the meanings of those words.....'guesswork'

taddy 21-05-2016 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 1169288)
so what does salient mean taddy?

Salient,(say-li-ent),adjective. projecting,prominent, a projecting part, sounds rather rude to me.:):):)

taddy 21-05-2016 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1169290)
Yes, but I did give you the meanings of those words.....'guesswork'

Thank you, Ha Ha, stay happy, Your's as ever Taddy.

Margaret Pilkington 21-05-2016 15:14

salient = Important, outstanding, major, dominant, crucial, vital,key, central, pivotal,chief.
so there you are...don't say Accyweb is not a site of learning.:)

taddy 21-05-2016 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1169293)
salient = Important, outstanding, major, dominant, crucial, vital,key, central, pivotal,chief.
so there you are...don't say Accyweb is not a site of learning.:)

I can't remember the name of the English teacher at Woodnook but you obviously took more notice of him/her than I did but then Milton Suthers the maths and sports master was always my doyen, so I was more into sports and because of this he seemed to go out of his way to help me with maths.
(DOYEN), thats got to be worth nine out of ten. :D:D

Margaret Pilkington 21-05-2016 15:47

After I left School I went to Blackburn tech and did my English O level(I got an A).....my job involved lots of writing of reports and such like.
I can't remember who taught English( I think it was a variety of teachers).Milton Suthers was my nemesis...he scared the living daylights out of me,he turned me into a shivering wreck...which might explain why I was rubbish at Maths.
As for the word doyen(a doyenne is female)...you get ten out of ten for that one because not only have you got the spelling right for a man.....you have used it well(oh, yes and it is of French origin).

Less 21-05-2016 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1169286)

Don't worry too much about long words in English Taddy, if we vote stay in at the referendum then no doubt there will be an EU edict shortly afterwards banning it's use anywhere within Europe.

Exile on Spencer St 21-05-2016 17:43

Quote:

They're making life hell now, so what's to lose?
Vote Leave.

Margaret Pilkington 21-05-2016 18:15

Even if we stay we will be punished for having the cojones(though they are pretty small cojones) to challenge the status quo...for wanting a better deal.
So yes you are right either way we are in the brown stuuf that goes under the name of Fisons.
Get us Out.

DaveinGermany 21-05-2016 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1169275)
Have you seen the list of actors who are all advising us that it would be so much better for us to remain.......

Ah, in the common parlance " The Wankerati", those who know better, but live in a separate world than the rest of us oiks. Well, if these people deem it right & proper, then I'm definitely going in the opposite direction.

Margaret Pilkington 22-05-2016 10:51

Today's part of the Project Fear campaign is to tell us that if we leave the EU prices of goods and services will rocket costing each individual household £220 per annum.
How has this figure been arrived at? Would this £220 per annum not be offset by us not having to fork out £350 million per WEEK and contribute it to the EU?

And those French merde's are saying that they may arrange some sort of trading deal which will penalise the UK.
Why would we want to be in an organisation which uses petty playground tactics?
For goodness sake vote OUT.

Margaret Pilkington 22-05-2016 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1169314)
Ah, in the common parlance " The Wankerati", those who know better, but live in a separate world than the rest of us oiks. Well, if these people deem it right & proper, then I'm definitely going in the opposite direction.

Oh yes...And poor Tom Conti is objecting to the term 'luvvies'.
It hurts his poor delicate ego. He thinks the term is as derogative as that N word for black people.
Doesn't your heart bleed purple pee for these poor unfortunate folk?

Less 22-05-2016 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1169329)
How has this figure been arrived at? Would this £220 per annum not be offset by us not having to fork out £350 million per WEEK and contribute it to the EU?

I'm afraid not Margaret, that will disappear into M.P.'s expenses after all, if they end up actually in charge of the Country they will expect extra payment for the responsibility.

Margaret Pilkington 22-05-2016 11:13

But Less, they have been paid well for years and they have just sat on their nicks doing burger all. We should be getting a rebate from them!
I will be glad when it all done and dusted.....though I fear that I will sink into a slough of despond once the results are known.

Less 22-05-2016 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1169333)
But Less, they have been paid well for years and they have just sat on their nicks doing burger all. We should be getting a rebate from them!
I will be glad when it all done and dusted.....though I fear that I will sink into a slough of despond once the results are known.

No need for depression, if the vote is stay, a public holiday will be announced and all alcoholic beverages will have duty removed for that 24hrs so we can celebrate the coming prosperity.

If the vote is out you will be too busy getting to grips with the new rules and regulations concerning rationing as the EU sends it's gunboats to blockade our larger ports and our airports are closed because we won't be allowed to enter their airspace!

Margaret Pilkington 22-05-2016 12:22

that all looks very promising.

Exile on Spencer St 22-05-2016 21:09

It's worse than we thought. That's an Egyptian Navy gunboat. No doubt they'll be the next to join the EU after Turkey.:rolleyes:

Less 22-05-2016 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1169355)
It's worse than we thought. That's an Egyptian Navy gunboat. No doubt they'll be the next to join the EU after Turkey.:rolleyes:

The EU are hiring in their gunboats there are a large number of ports to blockade, (it's rumoured that Cameron put in the cheapest bid but has been rejected because he wouldn't be able to get the Royal Navy into position in time, Oh and they are suspicious about his travel expenses distance to travel seemed too large).

Less 23-05-2016 11:23

Quote:

Just another quick thought, someone was bleating on about the improvements made to 'human rights' and so on.

As we can see from the above, the EU's human rights won't be applied at a national level (unless of course we are all criminals or illegal immigrants).

Our voting in the referendum is supposed to be legal and fair, hardly fair and hardly a free vote if we are being threatened because we don't vote to keep the mandarins happy.

Margaret Pilkington 23-05-2016 12:04

Even if we decide to stay, I believe that Brussels will find some way of penalising the UK...and if we do stay in they will feel that they can do anything they want, as we will have lost the leverage that we previously had.
No-one says that leaving will be a cake walk, but it is preferable to being the whipping boy of Brussels.

Less 23-05-2016 12:22

The last two lines of the last verse of this Eagles song seems to fit:-

EAGLES LYRICS - Hotel California

Margaret Pilkington 23-05-2016 12:29

Less I posted this ages back...probably in the first few pages of this thread.
Check out post 73.

Margaret Pilkington 23-05-2016 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1169365)
The last two lines of the last verse of this Eagles song seems to fit:-

EAGLES LYRICS - Hotel California

One of my favourite songs...my era...I can remember all of the words(so how is it I can't remember what is on my shopping list?)