Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Referendum is a load of crap.!! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/referendum-is-a-load-of-crap-67387.html)

Snarling Mallard 25-06-2016 10:42

Re: Referendum is a load of crap.!!

Just thought I'd pop by and congratulate Hyndburn district on it's emphatic Leave vote. Nearly all the North West was pretty solid apart from those pesky Mankies voting almost two to one to stay - yet Salford next door wanted out.
Now we get all the bleating 'luvvies' and "celebrities" telling us how wrong we all are.
They make me puke - all the people who are doing rather well for themselves (the Geldofs and the Rowlings) lecturing to us how we should vote.

Margaret Pilkington 25-06-2016 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1954 (Post 1171123)
If they don't like the result of the referendum, they could always move to Europe. The ferries are still running.

Oooh, what a damn good idea.

DaveinGermany 25-06-2016 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1171118)
...or at least that is what I think Dave in Germany was referring to...

Not at all Ma, it's just that your reply in post 811 carried my earlier comment & I thought you may have been wanting to answer the Eggy ones utterances but mistakenly included my, as opposed to his observations.

Hopefully my reasoning not to confusing here?

Margaret Pilkington 25-06-2016 11:07

thank you son for clarifying that...no my post was not a mistake......it was reasoned and deliberate.......very much like my vote in the referendum.
(I still broke the good manners rule of a thread though....a bit like whispering at a public gathering)

cashman 25-06-2016 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snarling Mallard (Post 1171124)
Just thought I'd pop by and congratulate Hyndburn district on it's emphatic Leave vote. Nearly all the North West was pretty solid apart from those pesky Mankies voting almost two to one to stay - yet Salford next door wanted out.
Now we get all the bleating 'luvvies' and "celebrities" telling us how wrong we all are.
They make me puke - all the people who are doing rather well for themselves (the Geldofs and the Rowlings) lecturing to us how we should vote.

Thing is with those people, democracys only ok if it suits em.:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 25-06-2016 11:47

I have to say that had the result gone the other way I would have felt quite sour about it, but I would recognise(I hope) that in a democratic process there has to be a side which is not the winner.
I voted in the 1975 referendum and it went against what I would have liked.....and for a while I was disgruntled.....but would never have thought to question the outcome and suggest that we did a re-run.

Margaret Pilkington 25-06-2016 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1171126)
Not at all Ma, it's just that your reply in post 811 carried my earlier comment & I thought you may have been wanting to answer the Eggy ones utterances but mistakenly included my, as opposed to his observations.

Hopefully my reasoning not to confusing here?

Looking back....I was answering Egg and Chips......but I used your relevant comment to underline what I was saying.(not sure if that makes sense....but it did at the time, and I had only been drinking tea:)).

Eric 25-06-2016 13:01

Let's face it ... there should be no argument about the result. The question was so simple that even the Tykes and the Taffys understood it. (We'll forget about the scousers, 95% of whom were confused;)) The Jocks understood it too. For them it meant: "Do we still want to get handouts from England and Europe"? Even those who might have been hammered or stoned could figure it out. Concerning the question, there was little chance that folks didn't know what they were voting for.

Now, if the question were like the one posed to Quebecers in 1995, there might have been some justification for confusion:

Do you agree that Quebec should become sovereign after having made a formal offer to Canada for a new economic and political partnership within the scope of the bill respecting the future of Quebec and of the agreement signed on June 12, 1995?

Ouch. Duh:confused: And here's me thinking I was voting for cheaper beer and fags.:D

The government asked; the voters answered. Simple. Vote's over. Time to get on with life and sort shiite out.

Margaret Pilkington 25-06-2016 13:13

Nicola Sturgeon is now angling for a second Scottish referendum....she feels that the Scots are being taken out of the EU against their will.

Let them go.....they will have to sort out their own currency, they will have to sort out money for their health care and for education......they will cease to get money from England...so it will be an uphill struggle. good luck with that.
I am missing them already.

Eric 25-06-2016 13:54

I've just done something I should have done months ago when the referendum was set up. No ... I'm not talking about trimming my beard, cutting back on the beer and tokes, and updating my wardrobe ... I checked a list of the countries in the EU. Holy feces batperson! Not exactly a catalog of economic muscle is it? Take out Germany, France (ok, they are facing major problems, and there is a storm looming on the right), Italy (maybe), possibly Sweden (they make great automobiles), maybe Spain, if the Catalans don't go on their own, but the rest:eek: .... And this is the Union that millions of Britons wanted to be a part of:confused: Talk about chaining yourselves to a corpse.

The way I look at it from my rude, backwoods vantage point out here in the colonial wilds, is that the really dumb choice in the referendum was "in". The way I see it ... and please feel free to disagree; I would be interested, seriously, in other interpretations ... the EU was Germany and the UK. Put the Frogs to one side; they have major internal problems to deal with. Subtract Britain, and what's left? Germany.

There is another way of looking at the equation: EU - UK = 95%. Just had to get that number in somewhere.;)

DaveinGermany 25-06-2016 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1171134)
The way I see it ... and please feel free to disagree.;)

Don't think there'll be much disagreement on here to be honest mate, you're preaching to the converted! :D

Burningman 25-06-2016 14:46

Like turkeys voting for Christmas.

https://www.facebook.com/financialti...type=3&theater

cashman 25-06-2016 15:01

You should know.:rolleyes:

Eric 25-06-2016 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burningman (Post 1171138)
Like turkeys voting for Christmas.

Which side:confused:

Burningman 25-06-2016 16:17

Lancashire county as a whole has fared well in the latest funding rounds with some £211m allocated from the European Regional Development Fund and the European Social Fund for 2014 to 2020. Only London, Leeds, Manchester and Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly received higher allocations.

How has funding from the EU ever helped Lancashire? - Lancashire Evening Post