Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Referendum is a load of crap.!! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/referendum-is-a-load-of-crap-67387.html)

DaveinGermany 15-09-2017 21:01

Re: Referendum is a load of crap.!!

Oh I forgot about gender equality too, not the jobs bit or equal pay, but that the Ladies should be chucked in with the "Boy racers", well fairs fair & all that!

EU rules on gender-neutral pricing in insurance industry enter into force - European Commission

Margaret Pilkington 15-09-2017 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1201532)
The enforcement of renewables - Obesity is a disability? - Weights & measures - Fisheries & agriculture policies to name a few, spend a bit of time "Goggling" for more precise examples, but this just gives you somewhere to look.

Ah the veto, that old chestnut! How often have countries opposed something put forward by the numpties, only to be ignored, overruled or simply disregarded? Migrant quotas objections from the Visegrad 4 - overruled or the Dutch not agreeing to the Ukraine being allowed visa free travel - disregarded then going back a while Ireland & Denmark being told to "Vote again" because the right outcome wasn't achieved.

Ah, yes I had quite forgotten about that one.I plead old timers disease.
One of the bullying tactics that they are so very good at.

Morecambe Ex Pat 15-09-2017 21:15

I have Googled quite a lot of stuff but articles on discrimination have been solely about EU citizens being discriminated against in the UK.

I have, in the back of my mind, that Obesity is a Disability was a home grown thing dreamt up by our own NHS think tank but I may be wrong. I t isn't easy separating fact from fiction sometimes.

DaveinGermany 15-09-2017 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1201539)
articles on discrimination have been solely about EU citizens being discriminated against in the UK.

Not sure I follow your meaning here in relation to discrimination MeP & I can certainly agree with you about separating fact from fiction.

Morecambe Ex Pat 16-09-2017 06:39

Dave, I was looking for examples of discrimination against UK workers in the UK in favour of foreign nationals. All I found were instances of workers being required who had to be fluent in certain languages. For some jobs, like interpreters, I would say it is pretty essential. Then I noticed that the source of the article was UKIP and so took it with a pinch of salt as it could well be the ranting of some activist.

I was asked for examples of how specific EU laws directly rule an aspect of our lives in the UK. The open border policy is the obvious one but s soon as I have mentioned that to a remoaner, they have started ranting about me being racist and how the fruit growers rely on seasonal workers from abroad for their successful harvest. This picking used to be carried out mostly by students but nowadays it seems that many students either struggle getting out of bed in the summer or are off on kangaroo trekking holidays funded by the bank of mum and dad.

Neil 16-09-2017 07:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1201476)
They have imposed a raft of restrictions...the working time directive is one of them......

Why don't you like the working time directive?

Margaret Pilkington 16-09-2017 08:16

Neil read it again. Did I say that I did not agree with the WTD?
I was pointing out the specifics that had affected lives...directives from the EU.

It certainly affected the lives of those who use the NHS.

When completing duty rosters, the WTD had to be considered.
I (myself)certainly broke the rules of the WTD on a number of occasions...this was in order to provide safer care for patients.
Now, you are going to come back at me with something like...'how could care be safer if you had exceeded your working hours?'...I will tell you that I know my capabilities and would not have done it if I had felt that there was risk to either myself or my patients or other staff I was supervising.

It did create havoc though with Medical cover(doctors)... it took a while until resources were freed up to cover the deficiencies(on a couple of occasions I remember consultants coming in to cover the work of junior doctors).

Doctors working less hours also impacted on their skills....this was something that they, themselves brought up.

Margaret Pilkington 16-09-2017 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1201547)

The open border policy is the obvious one but s soon as I have mentioned that to a remoaner, they have started ranting about me being racist and how the fruit growers rely on seasonal workers from abroad for their successful harvest. This picking used to be carried out mostly by students but nowadays it seems that many students either struggle getting out of bed in the summer or are off on kangaroo trekking holidays funded by the bank of mum and dad.

You will find that those who have a weak argument against a point of view will resort to name calling...virtue signalling, whatever you want to call it.
Call someone'racist' or 'homophobic' or 'islamophobic' shuts down any meaningful discussion very quickly and lets the one who is doing the name calling off the hook...it is calculated to do just that.

The history of the school holidays in September, was so that everyone could help out with harvesting.
Whole families would head out of their city homes into the country to fruit pick.
It was a way of them getting a paid holiday(jobs did not come with holiday pay) and it was a time for families to have social time together...yes, they worked hard, but they also had fun too.

Londoners used to head off to Kent to farms where they got lots of fresh air good wholesome food and they all enjoyed themselves.

In later years it was students who did a lot of this work.

We do need some immigration, but not in the volumes that was encouraged by TB's Labour government.
That level was on a par with social engineering and it was done with no real thought about long term impact or consequences...other than securing a firm Labour voting base...that is unless you subscribe to the Coudenhove-Kalergi plan.

Morecambe Ex Pat 16-09-2017 09:14

I have nothing against immigration as a mix of cultures is a thing to be encouraged. I do however remember the 'ghettos' in certain parts of Accrington where workers in the cotton mills and associated industries were housed in cheap houses and formed a community all of its own.

Migrants integrating into the locality is a wonderful thing but large numbers all at once create problems and this is being discovered in some parts of the country but is being ignored by people in power. Even good old Poland have realised that unlimited numbers of migrants are not sustainable in their economy but there are some people who think we should allow anybody and everybody into our country.

Brits are just as bad for forming communities though as my experiences in Spain would show. Closed, gated communities where the residents had built a small bit of Britain for themselves. No wonder they were despised by the locals, many of them didn't speak a word of Spanish yet were very vocal in calling Spain their home.

DaveinGermany 16-09-2017 09:20

Don't know how you feel about the "Express" (tendency to the right mostly) MeP, but here's an article from 2016.

British workers can be discriminated against, EU rules | UK | News | Express.co.uk

I personally don't see how any company or employer can specify a language skill unless they are for language education, interpretation or dealing with foreign customers in their own tongue. Living & working in UK the language is & should be English no ifs or buts! I chose to live in Germany & guess what? No-one is bending over backwards for me to have my own mother tongue implemented, the attitude is, you chose to be here, speak & write our language, you don't want to, pack up & ship out!

And as to the shrieks of faux outrage for you being a racist because you want our country to have a strong immigration policy, well ain't that just typical of your liberal lefty snowflake idiots! The cry of racist is the SOP of the left, they've no concise or relevant argument so to shut down opposition & hide their feeble ignorance they pull the Ace in the pack & scream racist! Weak, feeble, & ineffective.

Next time one of these useful idiots goes on about the need for fruit pickers or scrubbers, challenge them about "Would they do the hours demanded for the pay they'd receive" & if they're truly honest with their answer it'd be a big fat "No", so just who is the discriminating racist bigot now?

Margaret Pilkington 16-09-2017 09:26

I have friends who still work in the NHS and one of them who is a health visitor was abused and threatened by a muslim youth when she went to visit one of her clients( a woman from his own community )...she was told that this was an 'Asian' area and that she was not welcome.

I have looked after women who have lived in this country fo two and three decades who do not speak English.

Yes, you are right about Brits abroad too. I visited Spain many times in the eighties, but always tried to learn a bit of the language and would try to ask for things in Spanish when I shopped....being of mediterranean colouring and looks, meant that frequently they tried to engage me in conversations which I could understand, but could not think fast enough to answer...and had to confess(Soy Inglese) to being English.

I suppose it is all down to comfort zones...and I would guess that many who have taken up residence in these communities are the older generations who just want the sun on their bones....and if they could get that here they would never have left.

DaveinGermany 16-09-2017 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1201547)
The open border policy is the obvious one but s soon as I have mentioned that to a remoaner, they have started ranting about me being racist

Well obviously you're not the only nasty Wwwhhaycist! These people must be verging on Uber-Waycist then!

https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/key...oyment-welfare

Margaret Pilkington 16-09-2017 11:13

That is a very interesting site....and even more interesting if you look at other pages within the site.

DaveinGermany 16-09-2017 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1201565)
That is a very interesting site....and even more interesting if you look at other pages within the site.

In the words of Sybil Faulty "Oh I Know!" :) And just another random chuck it on the table for contemplation article ...

Automated car washes pushed out by gangs - Motors.co.uk

DaveinGermany 16-09-2017 11:46

Here you go MeP, show your remoaner snowflakes these little snippets.

£15-an-hour power plant job criticised - as it favours someone speaking Portuguese - Gazette Live

Unions question 'one in ten workers must speak English' rule at major Wilton power plant - Gazette Live