Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Crematorium (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/crematorium-67658.html)

mab 30-09-2015 23:14

Crematorium

Heard a rumor that Hynburn Crematorium is having the Cross removed so it that doesn't up set minority groups living in Hynburn.. Has anyone else heard if its true....

accyman 30-09-2015 23:50

Re: Crematorium

not having its gone

from what i can make out the decision has been reversed but instead of restoring the large cross a piddly little cross will be available and slung under a shelf if anyone wants it removing

like or dislike peter britcliffe he acted on this and raised awareness of it so it couldn't quietly slip by

just your usual insensitive councilor coming up with anything he can to grab a headline and get his name in the press regardless of how many people he causes upset to

i doubt he would have insulted the muslim faith in this way but hey ho its only christians been offended and if the full cross isnt restored as to how it has been for many years the people of Hyndburn will know exactly how little he thinks of the people he came to live among

£2000 to remove a cross and slap a bit of white paint on the walls then pee off a whole district - bargain

just a note

no muslims complained nor did anyone else he thought this up all off his own bat although he did use the jehovas and atheists to justify his decision

his next stunt will be removing the crosses off hot cross buns

ps:

ken moss is the man in question .... yeah that one

DaveinGermany 01-10-2015 05:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1151350)
ken moss is the man in question .... yeah that one

You do surprise me, I thought Ken was one of the more "balanced" of the labour luvvie lefties ........ Aye well! You live & learn. :confused:

Ken Moss 01-10-2015 06:21

I thought this would crop up on here. It's just another headline-grabbing lie from Peter Britcliffe. The cross will remain up unless requested to be taken down, not the other way around.

Government guidelines now state that public buildings should be non-secular so the only difference is that a cross is now permanently displayed on a stand rather than the wall. It makes it easier to remove when asked.

cashman 01-10-2015 07:27

Right clarify please. Is it the original cross that will remain up? or a small one will remain to be removed if asked.

yerself 01-10-2015 07:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss
Government guidelines now state that public buildings should be non-secular

In which case the cross stays, or the council should buy a dictionary to prevent its councillors using words they don't know the meaning of.

lancsdave 01-10-2015 08:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 1151361)
It's just another headline-grabbing lie from Peter Britcliffe.

I think you meant mis-interpreted

Council accused of ?staggering U-turn? in Accrington crematorium cross saga (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Bob Dobson 01-10-2015 08:49

We haven't heard of any other councils making similar decisions. I would like to see evidence of this 'government guideline' Until then, I won't believe it.

cashman 01-10-2015 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 1151361)
I thought this would crop up on here. It's just another headline-grabbing lie from Peter Britcliffe. The cross will remain up unless requested to be taken down, not the other way around.

Government guidelines now state that public buildings should be non-secular so the only difference is that a cross is now permanently displayed on a stand rather than the wall. It makes it easier to remove when asked.

It cropped up on facebook as well, far more people are annoyed on yon, yet you have not responded on there nor clarified on here exactly whats happening/happened, so why should anyone take your word about someone lying?:rolleyes:

RainbowSix 01-10-2015 12:15

As this is supposed to be a Christian country it should be the other way around - the cross should remain there unless a funeral organizer requests it's removal.

What next churches to remove the cross & paint out their windows?
I'm sure mosques would not be removing their symbology.

Another blot on the world of sensibility & score 1 for the PC nutters.

lancsdave 01-10-2015 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainbowSix (Post 1151388)
As this is supposed to be a Christian country it should be the other way around - the cross should remain there unless a funeral organizer requests it's removal.

What next churches to remove the cross & paint out their windows?
I'm sure mosques would not be removing their symbology.

Another blot on the world of sensibility & score 1 for the PC nutters.

It's got nothing to do with mosques or the Muslim faith, they don't use crems.

It's because the majority of people (40%) do not have a faith. Yes 40% is a majority in Hyndburn, thats why the benches were removed, because the majority of people ( 3or 4 ? ) were causing problems ;)

cashman 01-10-2015 14:03

Its sod all to do with "ANY" religious group imho, more to do with stupid Do-Gooding P.C. clowns.

Margaret Pilkington 01-10-2015 14:27

I am not overly religious, but I would say to those who find the cross offensive 'Take yourself off to somewhere that does not offend your very delicate sensibilities'.
I am offended by lots of things in life......but you have to build a bridge and get over it.
As Rainbow Six says, this is still a Christian country.....and yet people are surprised and offended if they see a cross in a Crematorium. Whatever next?
Leave the cross where it is. The person who is being cremated may not have strong religious views, but many of those who attend the ceremony may have religious ideal and may find that the cross is not only appropriate but a symbol of comfort.

Yes, Cashy...I think you have scored a direct hit with that last post of yours.

cashman 01-10-2015 14:31

Ta very much Margaret.:)

Eric 01-10-2015 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1151395)
Its sod all to do with "ANY" religious group imho, more to do with stupid Do-Gooding P.C. clowns.

PC horse manure, it benefits nobody. If anyone is offended, screw them. Bring back common sense. Oh ... I know it's a little early for this ... have a Merry Christmas.:D Which reminds me: Last year I was watching the Toronto Santa Clause Parade. In the crowd were lots of muslim families with their kids, all cheering and waving, most of them wearing Ho Ho Hats. They didn't seem one damned bit offended.