Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   5p for a carrier bag (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/5p-for-a-carrier-bag-67659.html)

Margaret Pilkington 01-10-2015 18:49

Re: 5p for a carrier bag

The other year when we had very high winds the trees on the motorway were festooned with Carrier bags which had blown onto the trees from the tip at Whinney hill.
It looked terrible.

lancsdave 01-10-2015 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1151433)
They are allowed to pocket the cost of the bag, but 5 pence is in excess of what the carriers cost the retailer and they will donate the rest to charity...how this will be policed I have no idea,

If the bag is on the bill then I suspect there will be vat on it, so the government will be getting part of it, doubt if they will spend it on green issues though, probably up the expenses of MP's

cashman 01-10-2015 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 1151443)
If the bag is on the bill then I suspect there will be vat on it, so the government will be getting part of it, doubt if they will spend it on green issues though, probably up the expenses of MP's

Nah keep it back as a slush fund, to pay any fines they get fer fiddling.;)

Margaret Pilkington 01-10-2015 19:03

How much Vat would there be on a 5 pence bag?
If vat was at 20% it would be a penny.
How much would it cost to administrate this.....probably more than it would generate.

lancsdave 01-10-2015 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1151445)
How much Vat would there be on a 5 pence bag?
If vat was at 20% it would be a penny.
How much would it cost to administrate this.....probably more than it would generate.

Won't cost any extra to administer as it will be part of the process already for the big supermarkets, 8.5 billion bags used in 2014, even a fraction of that is a lot of pennies :)

Margaret Pilkington 01-10-2015 19:23

Well, then let us hope that everyone remembers to bring a bag from home.....to scupper any possibility of the government getting their hands on very much money.
I know that will strengthen my resolve to always carry a few.....I might even give one to a shopper who hasn't brought one.

DaveinGermany 01-10-2015 20:14

I always take the bag shopping, she's the one with the list & usually all me money! ;) :D

Barrie Yates 01-10-2015 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1151465)
I always take the bag shopping, she's the one with the list & usually all me money! ;) :D

You have overdosed on the stupidity pills again:D

accyman 02-10-2015 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1151444)
Nah keep it back as a slush fund, to pay any fines they get fer fiddling.;)

MPs dont get punished for fiddling

they are above the law as proven by how many are still not only not in prison but are still representing this country and telling us how to behave

if they find that they have committed a criminal offence they simple refuse to investigate themselves

i guess when anyone gets caught for fraud and they get asked why they did it they can say because the MPs showed them it was ok to

DaveinGermany 02-10-2015 05:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1151484)
You have overdosed on the stupidity pills again:D

What are you on about .... again? ;)

Margaret Pilkington 02-10-2015 06:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1151465)

And the bag takes stupid......he's the one that carries the full bags around and back to the car!
(Only joking Son:D)

accyman 02-10-2015 16:21

if they were really bothered about the impact of plastic bags they would do away with them all together at supermarkets etc and use brown bags like they do in america.Yes they may break occasionally as do plastic ones

Morecambe Ex Pat 03-10-2015 06:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1151560)
if they were really bothered about the impact of plastic bags they would do away with them all together at supermarkets etc and use brown bags like they do in america.Yes they may break occasionally as do plastic ones

Here, here or create a biodegradable alternative.

Beats me while they still allow food packaging which is not recyclable. If they want to reduce the amount of landfill fodder then stop producing it.

Guinness 03-10-2015 20:48

This is the government screwing us again under the PC 'green' values, which quite frankly will have zero 'green' effect. Those reusable ones are fine, I have a couple in my boot which, I always remember I have just as I get to the checkout.

These things are already recyclable and have been for years..used to do the odd shift for a guy to top up my apprenticeship wages some 40 years ago..stuff the bags in one end of the machine...nice little plastic chunks come out of the other, which went back to the bag manufacturer to make more.

Quite a few supermarkets have a recycling box for bags..and with a bit of forward planning by central government and local councils could actually benefit the local populace.....then again I guess its much easier to chuck a 5p surcharge and get a penny a bag from everyone to pay for duck hides, moat cleaning and second homes for MP's...

....and we'll still see trees full of bags in high winds

Who comes up with these ideas, and who passes them as 'clever'?????

Margaret Pilkington 03-10-2015 21:08

Sooooo, as I said earlier in the thread......bring your bags to put your shopping in....or trolley them to the boot of your car....don't play into their hands by giving the 5p for a bag....that will increase the governmental revenue.....and do nothing for green causes.
Landfill is still going to be full of bags which will take goodness knows how long to break down as we still use bin bags.
It will still be full of plastic bottles that are supposed to be recycled, except many are not(this despite the fact that we have spent time and effort into sorting our rubbish into the categories specified by our own councils).