Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Sequoia Tree in Rhyddings park (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/sequoia-tree-in-rhyddings-park-67737.html)

MrMan 08-11-2015 12:13

Sequoia Tree in Rhyddings park

I've been told that the sequoia tree is to be cut down. What are peoples thoughts on this? I can't see it being a popular decision.

Margaret Pilkington 08-11-2015 13:18

Re: Sequoia Tree in Rhyddings park

Maybe the tree is diseased or is a danger to the public.

I don't like the thought of any tree being cut down, but sometimes it is necessary for the best of reasons.

Exile on Spencer St 08-11-2015 13:50

If it's a sequoiadendron (Wellingtonia), these trees can live for 3,000 years, or at least they could before the arrival of chainsaws and Councils.

maxthecollie 08-11-2015 14:20

Welcome to the nuthouse although it's nice to have an intro before launching into posting.

Accyexplorer 08-11-2015 15:00

It's probably,like M said,that the tree is diseased or dangerous.The council are chopping lots of trees down at the moment :rolleyes:.

My advice would be to either scrub the green line off and hope they miss it or chain yourself to it in protest....PS welcome to the forum :D

Neil 09-11-2015 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMan (Post 1154232)
I've been told that the sequoia tree is to be cut down. What are peoples thoughts on this? I can't see it being a popular decision.

Why can't you see it being a popular decision? Who said it's being cut down and are you sure it's true or just rumour?

Neil 09-11-2015 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1154240)
It's probably,like M said,that the tree is diseased or dangerous.The council are chopping lots of trees down at the moment :rolleyes:.

My advice would be to either scrub the green line off and hope they miss it or chain yourself to it in protest....PS welcome to the forum :D

Most of Hyndburn parks were gifted by wealthy families about 100 years ago. Many of the trees were planted all at the same time and many now have problems and need to be taken down. Some parks have far to many trees in them for the size of the park including Rhyddings Park. When trees have to be cut down for whatever reason replacements are usually planted. Not always in the same place they were taken down but often in more suitable locations.

Scrubbing the line of a dangerous tree would be a stupid thing to do as it may then me missed and left standing which could then injure someone or cause damage

Accyexplorer 10-11-2015 08:50

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by neil (Post 1154313)
scrubbing the line of a dangerous tree would be a stupid thing to do as it may then me missed and left standing which could then injure someone or cause damage

Attachment 51579

RainbowSix 16-11-2015 12:53

I notice that 2 trees in Whittaker Park, Rawtenstall have been cut down this week too.

Burningman 17-11-2015 09:32

1 Attachment(s)
Sequoias are amazing things that defy imagination. Here are the wife and kids in front of one in Yosemite. They should leave it alone and let if stand as a teachable moment for the kids.

Neil 19-11-2015 23:51

Do you seriously think that is a suitable tree for a formal park in Oswaldtwistle that is planted to close to houses?

Burningman 20-11-2015 00:26

Do you seriously think that these houses, or the park, or Oswaldtwistle will be there in 2000 years... when this tree will only then be middle aged? It's a tree not a Triffid.

Neil 20-11-2015 01:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burningman (Post 1155001)
Do you seriously think that these houses, or the park, or Oswaldtwistle will be there in 2000 years... when this tree will only then be middle aged? It's a tree not a Triffid.

I doubt that tree will be there in 2000 years.
It keeps getting bits chopped off it trying to stop the kids climbing it. Before it was last chopped the kids were climbing it right to the top. It's lower branches were really springy like they were made of rubber.