Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   7% Council Tax support cut (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/7-council-tax-support-cut-67932.html)

Chris Cross 23-01-2016 12:16

7% Council Tax support cut

2016 will see a 7% cut in Councl tax support for working age claimants, in addition to the 3.99% increase in C-Tax by Lancs County Council (call it 4% please, you're not a supermarket). Claimants will lose double that of non-claimants (do the sums). This decision by HBC was based on a consultation with a total response of less than 1000 (great response HBC). The majority of all respondents (59.2%) agreed to a 1% increase in HBC's portion of the C-Tax. Results of the consultation here: http://democracy.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/d...t%20Scheme.pdf (pages 8-34).

So despite the above HBC decided to snatch it from those who can least afford it. Disabled folks can't fight back right? Most claimants don't bother voting anyway. Now they can shirk all the blame on County/Police/Fire, and contribute to the crusade against claimants. They are the reason this town is in the gutter. Nothing to do with the billions lost to dodgy banks, corruption, wars, tax evasion, shoddy schemes, and incompetent governance.. :whip:

One of the highest Council tax rates in the country, and we're living in a dump biting at the ankles of the needy.

accyman 23-01-2016 12:51

re: 7% Council Tax support cut

is there a list to show which councilors voted in favor and which voted against this or was it not voted on ?

accyman 23-01-2016 13:42

read some of the comments and when people write things like this i kinda wonder how they would feel if they became ill or lost their job and became one of the people they despise so much

i have no doubt they will be running their mouths shouting they have paid taxes and worked...AS HAVE MOST PEOPLE WHO FIND THEMSELVES UNEMPLOYED OR SICK

Quote:

Services have been cut time and time again. I don't think we can endure more cuts. In
addition, as a full time employed, fully paying council
tax resident, I think it's very unfair
that I should be expected to pay more (in times of austerity) for other people who aren't
paying nor working their way through life
this person also dosnt seem to like part time workers either

Rowlf 23-01-2016 18:20

It must be a real headache for both local councils and county councils deciding how they can make the cuts that they are being forced to make by the Government. The councils in the north of England have had far bigger cuts to their money from Westminster than any of the councils in the south. Ofcourse we were told 'We re all in this together.' HARDLY !!!!

Studio25 23-01-2016 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Cross (Post 1159182)
...This decision by HBC was based on a consultation with a total response of less than 1000 (great response HBC)...

It's only when producing (meaningful) statistics that you need to make sure you're working from a large sample. If just one person responded to a consultation, theirs is the only opinion that is considered. Everyone else is deemed to "not care".

It's only a council consultation, anyway. The decision had probably already been made and the consultation was one of those irritating legal obligations they have to undergo to make the population feel like their voice is being listened to.

Margaret Pilkington 23-01-2016 21:43

I was one of those who responded and my responses were obviously not valid enough for notice to be taken of them.....now isn't that a surprise.
Like you Studio, I think this was just a public bamboozlement issue.....some call them public relations. It just makes it look all legal and following the rules.....box ticking, as usual.

When has a public consultation made a jot of difference to what politicians(local or otherwise) do?

accyman 24-01-2016 00:21

you have more chance of getting aid from the British government if you move outside of the UK

it wouldnt surprise me if they were giving grants to other countries to fill potholes while we wreck our cars on our roads

as further cuts are been made to the british tax payer each year the amount of aid going out to china , India and others goes up as agreed a few years back by our in it together PM

problem is labour are also very free handed with our money as well if not worse

anyway thats enough racism from me i should really be bashing the amount of money wasted on the vulnerable and needy in OUR society as thats ok to do infact applauded by government

Neil 24-01-2016 10:16

Re: 7% Council Tax support cut

Was this the consultation where they asked if those that have to pay the full Council tax wanted to pay extra so those who get some of it paid for them didn't have to pay more themselves?

Margaret Pilkington 24-01-2016 10:28

yes Neil, it was.

accyman 24-01-2016 12:24

my conclusion from this meeting is that Labour also hate the poor and vulnerable in society

but im sure labour will blame the tory government who will then blame the previous labour government for blowing all the money thats led to cuts

one thing for sure is no MP will be suffering