Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   New Bus Station (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/new-bus-station-67980.html)

Rowlf 25-07-2016 21:35

Re: New Bus Station

I went to Accrington last Friday and there were only about 2 stalls on the Peel Street side of the market. How sad when you think what the old open market was like. People came from all over to it then. I used to hate Tuesdays and Fridays when I was at Peel Park as I could not get on a bus home on those days as they were already full when they got to Alice Street both the Padiham and Burnley ones. Strange how some towns still have a thriving market and most others have died a death.

Margaret Pilkington 26-07-2016 18:08

I have been told by a market trader, that from September the outside market will be closed on Mondays and Wednesdays.
Both days are flea markets, the Monday one is very low key...but the Wednesday one seems busier than proper market days.

Are the powers that be actively working to kill off the town, because that is what it seems like?
I am beginning to have a similar loathing for Accrington as I have for Blackburn.....there just seems to be no point at all in going into town.

Neil 27-07-2016 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1173069)
I am not surprised by what you are saying Busman.
Some of the people who used to go into town every day have stopped doing so.
I know this is crazy, but I have not used the bus since the bus station opened......and I used to go into town or home from town by bus about three times per week.
I do not WANT to use the bus station.
Why are there no bus stop around the town? The fact that the bus station is down Union ST. has cut off the life blood to the Abbey St/Little Blackburn Rd side of town.....and although I have no mobility problems,for those who have, it is a bit of a hike from the GPO (where we get the pension) down to the bus station.
The routes should be formulated to take in this side of the town..and there should be intermediate stops around the town

Try being a little more positive, the lovely walk from the post office to our grand new bus station passes by many shops you may wish to use and help the shop keepers of Accrington.

Why are so many people negative so often? Lets try and have a warm, rosy and positive outlook on things.

cashman 27-07-2016 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1173163)
Try being a little more positive, the lovely walk from the post office to our grand new bus station passes by many shops you may wish to use and help the shop keepers of Accrington.

Why are so many people negative so often? Lets try and have a warm, rosy and positive outlook on things.

easy for you to say, neil yeh weren't born here.
:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 27-07-2016 12:45

Quote:

Neil it would be easier to have a positive attitude if what you said were true.

Mannings in Peel St.....a chip shop and two coffee shops in Infant St..oh yes and a carpet shop that is in the process of closing down.
Wilko's isn't worth much..the market is dire.....a couple of pound shops and a miserable clothes shop on Broadway..a couple of mobile phone shops(don't use a mobile so they hold zero interest for me.
Just where might these nice shops you are talking about, be situated?

As I said the people responsible for the running of this town...for promoting it are doing a pretty hapless job of it...and I can find no real reason that I would actually LIKE to be walking around Accrington Town centre.

The place is dead on its feet...and a shiny new bus station will do nothing at all to remedy this..it won't bring folk into town(there is nothing at all to bring people here)..it will just ferry them away

lancsdave 27-07-2016 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1173164)
easy for you to say, neil yeh weren't born here.

I suspect it was typed with a little bit of sarcasm :)

cashman 27-07-2016 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 1173173)

so did i, thats why i was sarcastic back.;)

Margaret Pilkington 27-07-2016 15:09

I suppose the people who have businesses in the Abbey St,Little Blackburn Rd side of town will appreciate the sarcasm...and maybe when trade in the market hall goes down the pan, they will appreciate it too.

AccyMad 27-07-2016 16:21

All that money spent on the bus station & they can't even keep it open after 10 pm even though some buses are still running??
But that's ok as according to some LCC councillor in the Telegraph everyone he's spoken too are impressed with the shiny new build & some have even said it improves the town!!
Not sure who he's talked to as I certainly haven't heard anyone say any such thing about it :confused::rolleyes:

cashman 27-07-2016 16:24

L.C.C. are a joke, n that proves it.:rolleyes:

Less 27-07-2016 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1173177)
I suppose the people who have businesses in the Abbey St,Little Blackburn Rd side of town will appreciate the sarcasm...and maybe when trade in the market hall goes down the pan, they will appreciate it too.

It's their own fault, they should have built into their business plan, what if Hyndburn council and the LCC just run around like headless chickens rather than get their act together!
[emoji15]

Margaret Pilkington 27-07-2016 16:44

What point is a business plan when the powers that be, take the centre out of the town?

What point is a business plan when the life blood is squeezed out of a portion of the town?

LCC and Hyndburn Council they should be stood up against a wall and shot with the bullshine that they try to feed us.

Anyway I am going to ask Neil if I can borrow his 'rosy tinted specs' - he's only borrowed them from Ken Moss anyway...see if they make me see good ol' Accrington in a better light.

Less 27-07-2016 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1173187)
What point is a business plan when the powers that be, take the centre out of the town?

What point is a business plan when the life blood is squeezed out of a portion of the town?

LCC and Hyndburn Council they should be stood up against a wall and shot with the bullshine that they try to feed us.

Anyway I am going to ask Neil if I can borrow his 'rosy tinted specs' - he's only borrowed them from Ken Moss anyway...see if they make me see good ol' Accrington in a better light.

What is the point of putting a smiley on to emphasise one's sarcasm when the only sober member of the site throws a wobbly and asks...

...ALL OF THE ABOVE?

You're absolutely right we know you're right, but as much as others hate us doing it (and moan at us for moaning about it), all we can do is moan about it because,

No one listens, they/we all know best, let the small shopkeeper go under but look, look, we have the modern equivalent of the emperor's clothes.

Isn't it ooh, isn't it ahh, isn't it absolutely wow?

We've never seen a bus station so absolutely fine.

Even if it is in the wrong place at the wrong time, we should gather together and cheer the naked audacity of it.
[emoji41] (WARNING this smiley may or may not contain sarcasm)

Margaret Pilkington 27-07-2016 19:06

Less...I have always thought smileys were a bit overrated.
I didn't think it was a wobbly either...I just thought it was a relevant comment.

How do you plan for the stupidity of thoughtless, ill considered council actions...for a council who seem to care nothing at all for the state of the town...who appear to be sitting twiddling their thumbs while the town goes down the gurgler.
This is a hypothetical question...as no-one really seems to have the answer other than to build a very expensive white elephant and call it a bus station.
Yes....I know you mentioned it too.

This bus station is the equivalent of an elastoplast for a severed Carotid Artery.....bloody useless!
PS...that smiley had not a bit of sarcasm in it...it was a chocolate M&M

Busman747 27-07-2016 20:05

Quote:

Know what you are saying Neil but - - most of my customers are 80+ and have to walk the other way ie: Bus station to the Post office. True, they pass some nice shops - but it is uphill to the P.O.

I have managed to divert my bus to go along Abbey St. instead of using Eastgate after leaving the bus station for some of my customers and other companies are doing similar routes. More and more customers are realising that they CAN get to the Post office by bus providing they are willing to wait a few minutes :alright:

I am sure that they enjoy the downhill stroll through those shops as they go back to the bus station :D

lancsdave 27-07-2016 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1173177)

As one of those affected the most I found Neil's sarcasm a light hearted relief from some of the stuff that's gone on in the past few weeks :)

A bit of sarcasm is the only thing we have left, we have no hope left

lancsdave 27-07-2016 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1173183)
All that money spent on the bus station & they can't even keep it open after 10 pm even though some buses are still running??
But that's ok as according to some LCC councillor in the Telegraph everyone he's spoken too are impressed with the shiny new build & some have even said it improves the town!!
Not sure who he's talked to as I certainly haven't heard anyone say any such thing about it :confused::rolleyes:

I saw that and saw the comments :)

The worrying thing is that these people actually believe their own spin.:eek:

Neil 27-07-2016 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 1173173)

Thats the trouble with me being a sarcastic sod, no one thinks I'm being genuine when I am

Margaret Pilkington 27-07-2016 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 1173200)

I find that a really sad comment.(and I mean that in the context of 'unhappy' sad)

Busman747 27-07-2016 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 1173200)
As one of those affected the most I found Neil's sarcasm a light hearted relief from some of the stuff that's gone on in the past few weeks :)

All the bus companies recognise the importance of the shops around Peel St. lancsdave even if the council don't and so bus traffic around Abbey St. is as busy as ever using Broadway and the stop above Infant St. to drop off customers. We can but try :o

Margaret Pilkington 27-07-2016 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busman747 (Post 1173199)
Know what you are saying Neil but - - most of my customers are 80+ and have to walk the other way ie: Bus station to the Post office. True, they pass some nice shops - but it is uphill to the P.O.

I have managed to divert my bus to go along Abbey St. instead of using Eastgate after leaving the bus station for some of my customers and other companies are doing similar routes. More and more customers are realising that they CAN get to the Post office by bus providing they are willing to wait a few minutes :alright:

I am sure that they enjoy the downhill stroll through those shops as they go back to the bus station :D

I am really pleased to hear that. I know of a few of the older folks who are struggling to get to the post office. I will be telling them that they can get the bus there now I know.

shillelagh 27-07-2016 22:54

at least one thing .. you can take your dog in there .. was in there with the tedster today waiting for the bus back up home .. and no one said to me that dogs weren't allowed .. ok the tedster for a change was in good behaviour mode ...and didn't cock his leg up :D

Less 28-07-2016 08:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1173197)
PS...that smiley had not a bit of sarcasm in it...it was a chocolate M&M

Oops sorry wrong smiley then, it should have been the one that is similar to our Council chambers, you know the ones that contains nuts.

Less 28-07-2016 09:01

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1172601)
Take a close look at the lettering on that pic, obviously cheap letters have been used and they are tarnished already, obviously there will be the odd glitch but bad drainage dripping the shine already?

Mick had removed that pic cos it was too big, here's a smaller version.
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/a...6&d=1469696323

maxthecollie 28-07-2016 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busman747 (Post 1173205)
All the bus companies recognise the importance of the shops around Peel St. lancsdave even if the council don't and so bus traffic around Abbey St. is as busy as ever using Broadway and the stop above Infant St. to drop off customers. We can but try :o

The bus companies have more sense than the whole lot of L.C.C. put together.

AccyMad 28-07-2016 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busman747 (Post 1173205)

That's good to hear - just hope that none of them need to spend a penny on their way down Peel Street :(

Exile on Spencer St 28-07-2016 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1173220)
Mick had removed that pic cos it was too big, here's a smaller version.
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/a...6&d=1469696323

Looks like the stained letters are in a vertical line below the tannoy/camera (or whatever it is). Wonder if it's brick dust from having to drill into the wall, if the tannoy/camera was put up after the lettering?

Less 28-07-2016 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busman747 (Post 1173199)

What's the betting that your bus route is planned by LCC?

No doubt even as we speak, they are preparing to put some form of inspector out there to ensure you follow the correct route?

Even though all you are doing is making up for their lack of forethought!

Margaret Pilkington 28-07-2016 14:46

It is just so obvious that those who planned the bus station and the bus routes are not users of the service.

Service users are disregarded. Their needs seem to be of absolutely no interest to those who decide where and when the buses run.
That many of those who use public service buses(and that is a real contradiction of terms) are elderly and less mobile does not seem to have been considered at all.

cashman 28-07-2016 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1173244)
It is just so obvious that those who planned the bus station and the bus routes are not users of the service.

Service users are disregarded. Their needs seem to be of absolutely no interest to those who decide where and when the buses run.
That many of those who use public service buses(and that is a real contradiction of terms) are elderly and less mobile does not seem to have been considered at all.

Perhaps cos our council are completely useless?:rolleyes:

Less 28-07-2016 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1173244)

This monument to civil service planning and using a grant (because we have to use it or lose it) even though with real planning no doubt less than half as much could have been used just to improve what we had.
Will have moved somebodies career a step forward, the Architect will get an award at some obscure architects award ceremony, the LCC councillor will get an award at some obscure councillor award ceremony, all those that used their lick spittle to ensure no real people's points of view should be considered will be gaining an inflation proof pension.
Who could possibly lose...

...Joe public? Well yes, but what does that matter? He/She only has to put up with services that are no longer services.

Less 28-07-2016 15:19

Maybe we should pity the poor bus drivers?
They have to put up with the new station and no doubt, 8 hours of folk complaining about what has happened!
Are they being offered incentives to praise the latest horror put their way?
I doubt it, after all if I planned it and I'm getting enough to drive my car I don't need to use this obvious barnacle on the comfort zone of mankind.

Less 28-07-2016 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1173245)
Perhaps cos our council are completely useless?:rolleyes:

Sorry cash, I can't imagine our council being completely useless.

That would make them perfect at something, only thing I've seen them coming close to that with is telling us we're wrong.

Barrie Yates 28-07-2016 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1173227)
Looks like the stained letters are in a vertical line below the tannoy/camera (or whatever it is). Wonder if it's brick dust from having to drill into the wall, if the tannoy/camera was put up after the lettering?

If it was from the camera installation then it was obviously not in the installers job description to clear up his mess - but surely someone was responsible for signing off that particular task?

Less 28-07-2016 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1173251)
If it was from the camera installation then it was obviously not in the installers job description to clear up his mess - but surely someone was responsible for signing off that particular task?

Don't ponder the point too much, no doubt we'll have years of conversation as the real cracks appear through this particular wallpaper.

Maybe, who knows, a few accusations about underhand dealing or other normal council wherewithal!

Obviously this is only speculation on my behalf I don't have nor have I ever had proof of underhand goings on, no need to send in the heavy mob to silence me in the middle of the night.
:D

Busman747 30-07-2016 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1173248)
Maybe we should pity the poor bus drivers?
They have to put up with the new station and no doubt, 8 hours of folk complaining about what has happened!
Are they being offered incentives to praise the latest horror put their way?
I doubt it, after all if I planned it and I'm getting enough to drive my car I don't need to use this obvious barnacle on the comfort zone of mankind.

Thank you Less, you are right, we get the brunt of peoples moans but I don't take it personally. As for incentives? Yes please, I recently had a rise to bring me up to the new legal minimum wage!!! :o

Busman747 30-07-2016 21:48

A strange thing happened in the bus station last week, I was in the bus at the time so am unsure what exactly happened but - - -

An alarm went off (Fire?) and simultaneously the power was cut. (Was it the alarm that cut the power or the power cut that started the alarm?) This only lasted perhaps 30 seconds but my customers were unable to get into the bus station and more worryingly, customers that were waiting to get on the bus couldn't get through the doors to exit the building!!:mad: For a few moments there was panic on both sides of the closed doors. Is this a design fault do you reckon?

In a normal situation, the doors remain closed and locked until a bus pulls up. A gadget on the wall recognises that there is a big red lump in front of it and the doors then open & close for passengers. Woe betide any passenger that loiters outside (talking?;)) until I pull away, the doors close and will not re-open. :eek:

Less 30-07-2016 21:58

By the sound of it could they have spent a little of their budget on air conditioning? An essential extra in our climate and it will only work efficiently if you ensure all the doors and windows are permenently closed.

AccyMad 31-07-2016 09:08

Called in the bus station on way home yesterday to check bus times to Burnley for a hospital appointment later this week, the nice man in the information office gave me a timetable - so far, so good - only when I got home did I see it was telling me to catch my bus at 9.30 from stand M on Infant Street?????
Obviously I know there's not even a bus stop there anymore but on googling the timetable not even the time is right on the printed version & if I'd taken it at face value would've missed the bus & probably my appointment

Margaret Pilkington 31-07-2016 09:18

If you relied on what was put on the interent (in the way of bus timetables) you would still be waiting for a number 14 bus to get to Blackburn Hospital.....why oh Why don't they keep this stuff up to date?
It is because they (the bus comapanies) are not interested in providing a SERVICE to the travelling public. They are only in it for the money.
By the way this is no reflection on the drivers, many of whom are doing their level best...OK there are one or two miserable sods, but they still do a thankless job.

Gremlin 31-07-2016 09:19

I used a bus to get home from Accrington bus station last year and nearly choked on fumes blowing in to the shelter from a little red bus.
When the driver let us on it was as bad with fumes blowing back into the bus and the door left open until we moved off. At least the new bus station won't have that problem.
I won't know until I use it which may be a long time yet.

As an ex holder of a transport managers CPC I know it's illegal to let a vehicle stand with the engine running for any length of time.

AccyMad 31-07-2016 09:42

Very true Margaret, I'm just gonna get to the bus station very early to give me the best chance of getting there on time.
And at least I can get to Burnley General on public transport much easier than getting to Blackburn hospital - well, it looks that way on paper?? :)

Margaret Pilkington 31-07-2016 10:31

well good luck with that one and even better luck with finding your way about BGH. It is a nightmare unless you are going to the Womens centre...that is easy to find.

Busman747 02-08-2016 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1173400)
If you relied on what was put on the internet (in the way of bus timetables) you would still be waiting for a number 14 bus to get to Blackburn Hospital.....why oh Why don't they keep this stuff up to date?
It is because they (the bus comapanies) are not interested in providing a SERVICE to the travelling public. They are only in it for the money.

Are you blaming ALL the bus companies Margaret? What company in the UK would operate long-term without making a profit and survive? Don't forget, all subsidies have now been removed curtesy of the government and LCC!
My routes are quite busy but the profit after operating costs per week are taken out wouldn't pay for a weeks beer money/dole payment for one family. It is that small! I run my routes on a Saturday and I am sure that the company actually makes a loss that day :o So much for mercenary companies!

As for the timetables, they are printed by LCC and each amendment is charged to the company involved - that includes changing the timetable from "Peel St" to "Accrington Bus Station"

I WROTE EARLIER:

An alarm went off (Fire?) and simultaneously the power was cut. (Was it the alarm that cut the power or the power cut that started the alarm?) This only lasted perhaps 30 seconds but my customers were unable to get into the bus station and more worryingly, customers that were waiting to get on the bus couldn't get through the doors to exit the building!! For a few moments there was panic on both sides of the closed doors. Is this a design fault do you reckon?

As I entered the toilets the other day, I noticed that the lights came on automatically but for a split second, it was pitch black. I shudder to think what would happen if there was a power cut while someone was in a cubicle :eek: especially IF the power cut was caused by the fire alarm, there does not seem to be any secondary emergency lighting system!

As for companies NOT providing a service to customers, Pilkies today have refused to go into the new bus station with their LOCAL buses and are terminating in town. I have my theories as to the particular reason for this which may or may not have to do with customer service - but M&M may follow suit. It's a shame that Pilkies could not have given their passengers more warning as many were waiting (not so) patiently in the bus station for a non-existent bus:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 02-08-2016 17:44

I guess I must be. i have travelled all over the country and indeed all over the world...it seems that some countires can run a public service which reflects the needs of the public(I cannot tell you if any of these were subsidised as I didn't feel the need to ask).

I know that bus comapnies run to make a profit....and I do not begrudge them that, but they should also be offering some kind of service too. People WILL pay to get the service they need to get about.

Many years ago(back in the early seventies) the bus services were undoubtedly better, but still there were deficiencies. If I was on an early shift on a Sunday morning I walked from Clayton le moor to Blythes chemical works at Church to get a bus that would take me into Blackburn...it was a bus the the chemical company paid for, but they let nurses travel into Blackburn on it as a courtesy.
Many other times I had to beg a lift or opt for a late shift.

More people now work those unsocial hours, but the bus services do not really reflect this.
So what do these people do...they must get taxis, for that is the only way to get about if you do not drive or if you cannot afford your own transport.

Busman747 02-08-2016 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1173594)
I guess I must be. i have travelled all over the country and indeed all over the world...it seems that some countires can run a public service which reflects the needs of the public(I cannot tell you if any of these were subsidised as I didn't feel the need to ask).

I know that bus comapnies run to make a profit....and I do not begrudge them that, but they should also be offering some kind of service too. People WILL pay to get the service they need to get about.

Many years ago(back in the early seventies) the bus services were undoubtedly better, but still there were deficiencies. If I was on an early shift on a Sunday morning I walked from Clayton le moor to Blythes chemical works at Church to get a bus that would take me into Blackburn...it was a bus the the chemical company paid for, but they let nurses travel into Blackburn on it as a courtesy.
Many other times I had to beg a lift or opt for a late shift.

More people now work those unsocial hours, but the bus services do not really reflect this.
So what do these people do...they must get taxis, for that is the only way to get about if you do not drive or if you cannot afford your own transport.

My first run is at 7:50 going around Barnfield and Laneside. If any elderly customer has an important doctors appointment, this bus is a godsend. I average ONE passenger per day on this particular run, sometimes none at all. rarely, I may have two. I am being paid for this, diesel is used, the mechanical back up is available, wear and tear on the vehicle etc etc. There is NO PROFIT in this but management continue to run it.

As for your comment that people will pay for the service, the answer is NO!!
9 years ago (imagine the cost of fuel in 2007) the cost of a ticket was £1-25 and due to the removal of subsidies, last year (after a couple of increases in the intervening years) the price of a ticket into town was put up to £1-90. You have no idea of the complaints that I received because of this ------ Outrageous, Criminal, It's cheaper by taxi and I'm not going to use your bus ever again!!!

People want the service but are not willing to pay for it.

Like you, I too can remember the 70's, I lived in a village in Bedfordshire and we were served by a bus that went through the village twice an hour. By 1990, we had three buses per day to and from town and the last one was around 7pm.

I understand that you expect a service Margaret but service comes at a price that you would not be willing to pay. I sympathise with your sentiments but practicality transcends.

Margaret Pilkington 02-08-2016 20:24

I WOULD be willing to pay for a service.( even though I have a bus pass I frequently pay my fare....If I want to go out early then I do......and pay my fare)
I want to pay my way.
I would prefer to pay a bus fare than pay for a taxi.
I prefer to travel with others, than travel in a taxi with a driver I do not know.
I feel safer on a bus....But what choice do you have when there are not buses at certain times?
I appreciate what you say about the lack of passengers.....and yes there are practicalities.
Passengers cannot use a service that doesn't exist.
I have to say that since the new bus station opened I have not used the buses at all...When previously I would have used the buses three or four times per week.....sometimes more depending on my Mum's needs.
I know that my not using the buses is counter productive to having good bus services.
The lack of subsidies has been a killer for many services....And these services are what prevent many of the elderly from becoming isolated.
Isolation is an enemy to the elderly and the lonely, but then you will already know that as you have a good rapport with your elderly passengers

Margaret Pilkington 04-08-2016 07:18

Angry Market Hall traders petition for bus stop after ?loss of trade? - Accrington Observer
Well, now...Isn't that a surprise?
What do our town planners have for brains? Rocks?

How many of us poor uneducated idiot(that is what they think we are) saw this coming?

Barrie Yates 04-08-2016 08:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1173699)
Angry Market Hall traders petition for bus stop after ?loss of trade? - Accrington Observer
Well, now...Isn't that a surprise?
What do our town planners have for brains? Rocks?

How many of us poor uneducated idiot(that is what they think we are) saw this coming?

Only 95% of us are deemed to be idiots and don't know "The Meaning of Life" - it certainly seems that we live in a pythonesque borough.

AccyMad 04-08-2016 08:32

I hope the petition is successful, from a personal point of view the re-siting of the bus station has had a big impact on some members of my family, but somehow I'm not too hopeful that anyone will listen - hope I'm wrong

Margaret Pilkington 04-08-2016 09:30

I don't for one minute think you will be wrong Accymad.
I am still very active and have no mobility problems, but I know a large number of people who have been inconvenienced by the move of the buses and the fact that there are no intermediate bus stops which are close to the market hall.
Many of these rely on the post office for their pension and to pay their bills.
These people are no longer going into town as a social thing.....they are going in only when they have to.
So, it is inevitable that businesses are feeling the brunt of this ill considered move.

LCC say they will put in bus stops if the bus companies want them.
It is the passengers who not only want them, but need them.

lancsdave 04-08-2016 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1173703)
I hope the petition is successful, from a personal point of view the re-siting of the bus station has had a big impact on some members of my family, but somehow I'm not too hopeful that anyone will listen - hope I'm wrong

Nobody will listen they never have. As long as it doesn't impact on their lives then stuff everybody else.

I have never known a collective group of decision makers so arrogant as this lot.

Margaret Pilkington 04-08-2016 10:02

If they had been trying to kill off the town centre...they could not have made a better job of it.

Less 04-08-2016 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1173712)
If they had been trying to kill off the town centre...they could not have made a better job of it.

If they had been trying to kill off the town centre, it would now be as popular as London's Oxford St!

Barrie Yates 04-08-2016 14:43

Can anyone think of any actual improvements that HBC have made to the town in living memory? I have only been back living here for 6 years so only know of recent "improvements".

Less 04-08-2016 14:49

Only one, Britcliffe isn't in charge, although, I couldn't call the alternative a massive improvement.

cashman 04-08-2016 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1173736)
Can anyone think of any actual improvements that HBC have made to the town in living memory? I have only been back living here for 6 years so only know of recent "improvements".

Please name these recent improvements? i musta missed em.:confused:

Margaret Pilkington 04-08-2016 15:26

I suppose we should say 'define recent'.
pretty soon our market is going to be like the one at Haslingden....two stalls and only open on a Friday.....then they will have to change all those planters to say 'floral village'.

Less 04-08-2016 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1173741)
then they will have to change all those planters to say 'floral village'.

Don't give them ideas! It's not as if they can just go around with a marker pen, they will have to replace everything with new!

Barrie Yates 04-08-2016 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1173738)
Please name these recent improvements? i musta missed em.:confused:

I was thinking of the removal of seating from outside the Market Hall, the Bus Station, the Crematorium Cross, Peel St Toilets - Peel st in general, and others - sorry Cashy, I was attempting to be sarcastic:rolleyes:

Less 05-08-2016 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1173749)
I was thinking of the removal of seating from outside the Market Hall, the Bus Station, the Crematorium Cross, Peel St Toilets - Peel st in general, and others - sorry Cashy, I was attempting to be sarcastic:rolleyes:

Don't forget that really special bit of deep thinking, proposing to take expensive DNA tests of dog turds and then match them to the canine responsible, we could have employed 10 full time dog wardens with the budget that would require had common sense not been brought in from somewhere.

cashman 05-08-2016 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1173798)
Don't forget that really special bit of deep thinking, proposing to take expensive DNA tests of dog turds and then match them to the canine responsible, we could have employed 10 full time dog wardens with the budget that would require had common sense not been brought in from somewhere.

Doubt that was common sense? think the cost frightened em.;)

Less 05-08-2016 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1173799)
Doubt that was common sense? think the cost frightened em.;)

Since when, has wasting large amounts of money frightened them? Or even caused them to hesitate?

I refer you to the title of this thread as proof!

accyman 05-08-2016 11:00

so after all the promises of how much better a labour ran council would be than a tory ran council can anyone say they have noticed any difference in how the council acts and runs things ?

all it took for the labour lot that posted regularly to run away and hide was to ask them a few questions about removal of benches from town center and why we were denied a referendum

if you look at accywebb before the questions these labour lot were full of criticism of the tory lot for not coming on here and answering questions and were full of ideas until they got in power

no matter what party is in power it seems teh same people pull the strings

cashman 05-08-2016 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1173800)
Since when, has wasting large amounts of money frightened them? Or even caused them to hesitate?

I refer you to the title of this thread as proof!

Fair Point Less.;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1173803)

no matter what party is in power it seems teh same people pull the strings

yeh mean knobheads? that think they are superior to us oiks?

Neil 05-08-2016 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1173741)
I suppose we should say 'define recent'.
pretty soon our market is going to be like the one at Haslingden....two stalls and only open on a Friday.....then they will have to change all those planters to say 'floral village'.

What planters? How many have you seen this year compared to last? They were part of budget cuts as were flower beds in parks

Margaret Pilkington 05-08-2016 12:57

To be honest Neil...i haven't looked for them...I thought they were naff anyway(it doesn't matter how many flowers you use to decorate a dung heap....it is still a pile of you know what, or as my Ma says..it is poor soil that need a lot of top dressing...all fur coat and no knickers)and frequently the yobs used the plants as missiles.
So if they are gone...good shuttance.
I am fed up with these tiny titivations that do nothing positive for the town.
The town needs a radical overhaul. It needs someone with something other than spit for brains to get it off the floor. Someone with a vision and dynamism.

Can you see anyone with the skills and the enthusiasm to do this?

I know it may sound like moaning and negativity, but give me something to rejoice about, to be positive about and I will shout it from the tower of St James's church.

The bus station cost something in the region of 4.6million quid. I do not see that as being good value for money.
People will not come to look at the shiny new bus station while the market and the market hall is left to die and fester...however(far more worrying) the bus station will take Hyndburn residents out of the town to somewhwere that is better marketed, gives them a good experience and is pleasant to visit.
Thus taking their cash out of our local economy.

It could all have been so different.

Barrie Yates 05-08-2016 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1173803)

all it took for the labour lot that posted regularly to run away and hide was to ask them a few questions about removal of benches from town center and why we were denied a referendum

We must be fair on this point - Bernard Dawson comes on here just about every day - doesn't comment on anything (wonder if he comments at LCC/HBC meetings?), but he does come on here. Probably just to report to the others who daren't come on.

Less 05-08-2016 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1173824)
We must be fair on this point - Bernard Dawson comes on here just about every day - doesn't comment on anything (wonder if he comments at LCC/HBC meetings?), but he does come on here. Probably just to report to the others who daren't come on.

They might all look at the site on a regular basis for all we know, if you view the site as a guest no-one knows who you are.

Barrie Yates 05-08-2016 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1173825)
They might all look at the site on a regular basis for all we know, if you view the site as a guest no-one knows who you are.

Would they be that cowardly? (Smiley for Cashy :rolleyes:)

Less 05-08-2016 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1173842)
Would they be that cowardly? (Smiley for Cashy :rolleyes:)

It isn't cowardly, AccyWeb is an open forum, anyone in the world can look at what we say, they don't have to be a member.
What is cowardly is what happened a few years ago, members of the site calling the opposition to gain brownie points and get themselves elected.
They promised sweeping changes should they gain responsibility, what did we the members get?
We were told to shut up because we don't have the nouse to understand the political ins and outs of local or Parliamentary Government.
When folk proved they have the nouse by asking awkward and searching questions, those helped into power resorted to flannel then insults and then thought it easier to no longer openly come on site.

But, I bet ya they still look in (or have their minions look in to this site) because they want to see the what honest folk think of them before they have to make up their next lot of excuses for not being any better than their predecessors.

Less 05-08-2016 18:13

A quick addendum to the above,
Instead of not being any better than their predecessors, in some ways they are worse. They offered a change an improvement instead we have slaves to labour policy not free thinking individuals.
They would prefer us to be the same.

Margaret Pilkington 05-08-2016 20:37

If I had a magic wand...I would
1) take us back to the time before the bus station was even thought of.
2) I would knock down the Peel Street side of the market..including the very smelly fish stall( there is only one now)
3) the stalls that had been accommodated on the Peel St side of the market would be located inside the market hall.
4) the Bus station would be built on the land that used to have the Peel St bit of market on it.
5) Broadway would still be free for the occasional continental markets.
6) the front of the market hall would be a town sqaure that all the powers that be seem to think this town needs(more than it needs viable businesses and traders).

I would have markets every day if the stalls could be filled(it seems that the flea markets are better attended and there are more stalls than on regular market days) after all stalls that are tenanted are bringing in revenue for the council and bringing trade which benefits the local economy.
Those folk coming to the flea markets may buy a coffee and a sandwich or they may buy nothing at all, but if they see a market that has lots of people looking at the stalls it would do much to banish the tumbleweed feel of the town.
I am sure that many of these things are not just down to money, because if they could spend 4.6million quid on something that no-one wanted, wasn't needed and is in the wrong place(just my opinion you understand) then there surely would have been money to do these lesser tweaks.....which would have been more sensible and would have actually benefitted the town. But it seems we have a planners who couldn't give a flying fig about what happens to the place as long as there are spaces for folk to park their cars on Peel St...though once they are here in their cars, there will be nothing worthwhile for them to buy or see.

Alas, I have no magic wand, I have no influence over the way the town is being ground underfoot(despite using my vote).
I only have the vision of how it might have been.

Guinness 05-08-2016 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1173824)

Seen a couple of LCC meetings..he's monosyllabic (aye or nay) in line with the party..voted to close the libraries and cut the bus services like the other labour members of LCC...Pritchard, Parkinson etc..etc..etc..(on a good screw from the public purse, keep your head down, keep schtum and blame the tories)