Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   New Bus Station (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/new-bus-station-67980.html)

DaveinGermany 13-02-2016 10:45

Re: New Bus Station

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1160981)
Not just the buses that belch out the diesel particulates, there are a large number of cars that run on diesel nowadays -

Don't they have particle filters built into them? I believe the Krautlings forced through laws which ensured all Diesel vehicles sold on the German market had to have particle filters fitted (this happened about 05/06). Older Diesel vehicles like our ford had to have them retrofitted, that or get hammered in taxes & banned from certain zones.

Barrie Yates 13-02-2016 11:04

Wasn't fully aware of that DinG, knew that there is something like the Cat Converter fitted to Diesels nowadays but not the details. Are the filters meant to reduce or even prevent the carcinogens being emitted?
I am sure that the VW Group found a way round the requirements if it improved the specifications - only during testing of course.

DaveinGermany 13-02-2016 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1160999)
Are the filters meant to reduce or even prevent the carcinogens being emitted?

Two different things Barrie, the in built or retrofitted filters remove a higher percentage of the "Soot" from the emissions, but have little or no bearing on the CO2 output. It was the latter that got VW & various others into bother as their stated output was significantly different to the actuality.

Gordon Booth 13-02-2016 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1160996)
Don't they have particle filters built into them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1160999)
Wasn't fully aware of that DinG, knew that there is something like the Cat Converter fitted to Diesels nowadays but not the details. Are the filters meant to reduce or even prevent the carcinogens being emitted?

They're called Diesel Particulate Filters(DPF).
All diesel cars have had them fitted since 2009. They filter out all the little black particles and hold them. You won't see a modern diesel blow a cloud of black smoke out as it accelerates hard. They don't take out the nitrous oxide which is the main worry now about diesels.
Trouble is the filter clogs up with the particles especially if you use it for a lot of short runs and it never gets really hot. Pressure sensors detect this and inject neat diesel into the engine or exhaust to burn and turn the particles to ash(but the ash stays in the DPF.
Three problems-
When the burn-off starts the miles per gallon drops heavily( down from 45 to 25 on mine). This can last for several miles, ruining your fuel economy.

If you get a warning light from the DPF and don't do a hot run it can wreck your engine. The first thing it will do is force your maximum speed down to about 50mph. If you're lucky you can limp into a dealers, they can burn it off but will also have to change your oil if it's an engine injection system-£150 to £200 cost.

Thirdly the DPF eventually becomes clogged with the ash and has to be replaced, cost for mine £1800, can be a lot more for Mercs etc. Life of a DPF should be above 60000 depending on your type of driving but that's not a lot for a modern diesel.

Moral- if you don't do a lot of long distance driving don't buy a diesel.

I think they're fitted to new buses but you don't see many new buses(unles your in London of course!)

Neil 13-02-2016 16:21

How does the DPF wreck your engine? It's just a lump in the exhaust.

Gordon Booth 13-02-2016 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1161032)
How does the DPF wreck your engine? It's just a lump in the exhaust.

If it's blocked with particles or ash it creates massive back pressure in the exhaust system. As I recall this can damage the valves, pistons and turbo to a major extent.
The onboard computer lights a warning light when it detects a dangerous build-up of pressure but if you carry on without doing a 'burnout' it trips in a 'disabling' engine control. This drops your speed to about 50/55 and cuts the power down. Not funny if you're in the fast lane. You are committed to a dealer reset then. If you carry on-bang!
It's not like a catalyst, they don't block. It's actually a very fine filter.

cashman 17-02-2016 17:10

Have just read that "Most" operators are considering NOT using the new Bus Station,due to the ridiculous costs, Hardly a shock to me, How stupid is building this thing and NOT even bothering to speak @ sort out with the companies?:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 17-02-2016 17:46

Asking the potential users is far too sensible Cashy.
If the operators had been told ahead of the build what the proposed costs would be(and told LCC where to shove their bus station)....do you think the build would have gone ahead?
I think this was all cut and dried. And I would not put it past LCC in using strong arm tactics to coerce bus operators to get onside and use the facility.
They are going to look really silly with a bus station that is used by only one operator.

cashman 17-02-2016 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1161352)
Asking the potential users is far too sensible Cashy.
If the operators had been told ahead of the build what the proposed costs would be(and told LCC where to shove their bus station)....do you think the build would have gone ahead?
I think this was all cut and dried. And I would not put it past LCC in using strong arm tactics to coerce bus operators to get onside and use the facility.
They are going to look really silly with a bus station that is used by only one operator.

Aye but as i seem to recall, was Graham not on LCC at the time?

Margaret Pilkington 17-02-2016 20:03

I don't know Cashy, but even if he was.....why would that make any difference?
As I said, it was all cut and dried.
It was never about what was needed or what made sense.

Margaret Pilkington 18-02-2016 08:30

According to to Observer, the independent bus companies were not involved in any discussions about using the bus station....the charges were not discussed.
How blooming daft is that. Wouldn't you think that a consultation of the users should be part of the business plan?
I know that there was supposed to be a consultation between passengers, but I don't know anyone who was asked their opinion.......I never saw any sort of forms to be filled in by passengers.....and I use the buses quite a bit

cashman 18-02-2016 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1161361)
I don't know Cashy, but even if he was.....why would that make any difference?
As I said, it was all cut and dried.
It was never about what was needed or what made sense.

Cos quite simply the public elected him and if he was there is no way he would not be aware? cos he aint thick.

Margaret Pilkington 18-02-2016 12:59

Yes, but once elected these politicos become very paternalistic.....they think they know much better than us what we want and what is good for us.
they do not do the bidding of their constituents.....they are more interested in doing what their party dictates?
I know he isn't daft. That is something that could be levelled at us for electing these people.
Well we know what to do next time don't we?

shillelagh 23-05-2016 13:41

July before its open ...

New Accrington bus station delayed another SIX weeks - Accrington Observer

wadey 23-05-2016 20:36

Thanks Shillelagh for the link

Took this Sunday lunchtime

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rossen...-5miogX-5minNK