Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Greater Accrington Heroes. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/greater-accrington-heroes-68620.html)

Retlaw 30-10-2016 15:51

Greater Accrington Heroes.

1 Attachment(s)
Finally after 25 years of searcing up and down the country, searcing in Public Record Offices, old news papers, Churches, Schools, Pubs, Clubs, Institute, Factories, an other places for Memorials & Rolls of Honour, several computers later, I've got my books back from the binders, what stated out as just names 127 pges its now 3 volumes over 900 pages a ream of paper, when you include the faces nigh on 2500 of them.

I've been tryin to add a picture of them fort best prt o 10 mins, had to give up. Now its done it twice. am givin up tu much bother

Margaret Pilkington 30-10-2016 16:20

Re: Greater Accrington Heroes.

Well done Retlaw.....you deserve a medal!

Retlaw 30-10-2016 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1180146)
Well done Retlaw.....you deserve a medal!

Margaret, I got one from the Mayor of Bapaume, July 1st 2016, when the Mayor of Acc, assisted by little Luke Holmes, presnted him with book of Casualties of the Accrington Palls July 1st 1916, 638 of the 720 men, the Battalions fighting strength , the book included the mans face where available,and a potted life history, The medal grants me the freedom of Bapaume, and I'm allowed to milk a bull on the main road to Albert on the 1st thursday of every month begining with a K

Retlaw 30-10-2016 18:18

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by margaret pilkington (Post 1180146)
well done retlaw.....you deserve a medal!

Here it is Margaret it a heck of a weight for a medal hope I nevr drop id on my big toe.

Attachment 54679

Attachment 54680

Margaret Pilkington 30-10-2016 18:33

Wow.....that is beautiful.

cashman 30-10-2016 18:49

Well Deserved.;)

Margaret Pilkington 30-10-2016 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1180150)
Margaret, I got one from the Mayor of Bapaume, July 1st 2016, when the Mayor of Acc, assisted by little Luke Holmes, presnted him with book of Casualties of the Accrington Palls July 1st 1916, 638 of the 720 men, the Battalions fighting strength , the book included the mans face where available,and a potted life history, The medal grants me the freedom of Bapaume, and I'm allowed to milk a bull on the main road to Albert on the 1st thursday of every month begining with a K

That is really something to be proud of......but your books are a great achievement and will make sure that the names of our local heroes are remembered.

Retlaw 30-10-2016 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1180170)
That is really something to be proud of......but your books are a great achievement and will make sure that the names of our local heroes are remembered.

Thanks Margaret, but thinking back over the years, folk saying wod yu duin thad fer yu daft owd ,
(many times when int library's not by staff, who were always eager to help).
photographing every article in the old news papers, Accrington's Blackburn, some Burnley, some Chorley, 1000's of pics, all to be downloaded an twiddled about, faces extracted touched up, and resized, printing em out tu read and trype into tother computer, which still runs on DOS6, hour on hour till me backside aches, often siting wi me nut in me aands, "what the ell am I doing this for,"an having to put up with my uncle Mycroft, urgin me on, Holmes's don't give up. Well ave done it, not proud, just relieved a can take mi time with my next project, I once down loaded whilst on Ancstry all the 11th East Lancs Medal Cards, over 4000 of them, now lining them up straight, resizing, cleaning them up entering missing details, arguing wi Kew Records, when the've wrongly indexed or misspelt um, an they can be right snotty buggers. Scrattin me ead again an again, why am I doing this, well John int Library thinks its good idea, an given me a load of index cards to stick em on. roll on 2918.

Barrie Yates 30-10-2016 21:10

A truly magnificent effort Walter.

Margaret Pilkington 30-10-2016 21:43

I can see why you would be relieved. I would imagine it has been a mammoth task...a bit like eating an elephant with a mustard spoon......but now it is done you damn well should be proud. It is an amazing achievment and one which would have defeated a lesser man.

I don't know if anyone has ever thanked you for doing this research, but if they haven't then let me be the first to say 'Thank you Walter' may your legacy be recognised for the great achievement that it is.

Oh and if you need any decipherin' doing...I'm your man.

Retlaw 31-10-2016 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1180192)
I can see why you would be relieved. I would imagine it has been a mammoth task...a bit like eating an elephant with a mustard spoon......but now it is done you damn well should be proud. It is an amazing achievment and one which would have defeated a lesser man.

I don't know if anyone has ever thanked you for doing this research, but if they haven't then let me be the first to say 'Thank you Walter' may your legacy be recognised for the great achievement that it is.

Oh and if you need any decipherin' doing...I'm your man.

Thanks Margaret, youve been a big help with some of the old illnesses and ailments those lads suffered from, I think that 1000's of lives lost during WW1 could have been saved if Fleming had been born earlier, and you wouldn't beleive the number who died from cloroform. Yet in all the letters home fromsoldiers mates or the Battalion Padre, they all either died peacfully or instantly, no one screaming in agony or such, yet who can have his leg or arm blown off, an not scream the place down. But from what has come to light is the wounded and dying soldiers name for the R.A.M.C. Rob all my comrades. Soldiers who knew they were dying whe the doctors saw them at a field dressin station, send my watch and wallet to my wife, only for them not to be able to find any thing in his pockets. There were several articles in the Blackburn news papers of photos of wives, children an girl fiends found on battle fields, "does any one recognise who this is".

RainbowSix 31-10-2016 13:12

Well done Walter, a mammoth task.

What a nice (and well deserved) medal.

Dare I ask if there is an electronic version or ever will be?
Many researchers use web based material more and more these days so perhaps the next task is to make it web based.

Retlaw 31-10-2016 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainbowSix (Post 1180224)
Well done Walter, a mammoth task.

What a nice (and well deserved) medal.

Dare I ask if there is an electronic version or ever will be?
Many researchers use web based material more and more these days so perhaps the next task is to make it web based.

Sorry Rainbow, I wouldn't know how to do a lecktrikury version, and as for web based no way, there are too many so called Pals ex spurts, (drips under pressure), that would just love to rip it off then claim its all there work. Long long ago I created a list of old trades & occupations, when I was indexing Parish Registers for Jack Broderick, and member of a group I was with then pusuaded me to give her a copy of my list I did so on the understandin it was for personal use only, low and behold up comes the internet, and I found my lists under someone elses name, claiming all there own work. I know they were mine because of phraseology and spelling and the fact they were all English trdes on an web site run by a Septic Tank.

Retlaw 31-10-2016 13:54

4 Attachment(s)
Remembering Our Heroes. July 1st 2016, 1st & 3rd Pictures Luke (grandson age 6) helping with the crosses of rememberance, the two Accrington Mascots at the Serre Memorial. and Luke receiving my medal from the Mayor of Bapaume

Margaret Pilkington 31-10-2016 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1180223)
Thanks Margaret, youve been a big help with some of the old illnesses and ailments those lads suffered from, I think that 1000's of lives lost during WW1 could have been saved if Fleming had been born earlier, and you wouldn't beleive the number who died from cloroform. Yet in all the letters home fromsoldiers mates or the Battalion Padre, they all either died peacfully or instantly, no one screaming in agony or such, yet who can have his leg or arm blown off, an not scream the place down. But from what has come to light is the wounded and dying soldiers name for the R.A.M.C. Rob all my comrades. Soldiers who knew they were dying whe the doctors saw them at a field dressin station, send my watch and wallet to my wife, only for them not to be able to find any thing in his pockets. There were several articles in the Blackburn news papers of photos of wives, children an girl fiends found on battle fields, "does any one recognise who this is".

You are more than welcome Walter. It was my honour and my pleasure to be able to use my knowledge to help a little bit.

It is very sad to think that Army Medics would do that......betray colleagues and deprive loved ones of their effects and the memories that those effects hold.