Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Sir ken dodd (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/sir-ken-dodd-68770.html)

Rowlf 30-12-2016 22:05

Sir ken dodd

Ken Dodd has been Knighted in New Years Honours. About time too if you ask me. 60yrs in showbusiness and no one has worked harder. Still doing 4/5 hour shows at 89 yrs old. Played every live theatre in the country. No one deserves it more. He's a credit to Lancashire.

AccyMad 31-12-2016 07:23

Re: Sir ken dodd

They've finally forgiven him his little tax dodging indiscretions then? :) You're right though, he deserves it & people have done much worse things

cashman 31-12-2016 08:08

Perhaps i'll get knighted then, they had me fer tax dodging in the 80s.:rolleyes:

Michael1954 31-12-2016 08:31

I've mixed feelings about the Honours system. I notice a lot of sportsmen and women have been honoured for doing well at the Olympics and Wimbledon etc. Surely their reward is the Olympic medal or trophy, so why give a further reward of a gong? And Victoria Beckham's OBE is a reward for what? It can't be for being the worst singer in the Spice Girls.

cashman 31-12-2016 08:36

Seems May has done a Cameron and knighted her cronies for donating and things, hardly a surprise yon. The one who decides Foreign Aid has been knighted also,:( sooner they do away with this corrupt system the better imho.

Rowlf 31-12-2016 10:24

I agree the system is outdated but when the likes of Victoria Beckham are receiving them certainly Ken Dodd is long over due. As for his tax incident he was after all found Not Guilty so it should not have had any bearing on being eligible for an award. I agree the Olympians have had their reward already.

Margaret Pilkington 31-12-2016 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1954 (Post 1184047)
I've mixed feelings about the Honours system. I notice a lot of sportsmen and women have been honoured for doing well at the Olympics and Wimbledon etc. Surely their reward is the Olympic medal or trophy, so why give a further reward of a gong? And Victoria Beckham's OBE is a reward for what? It can't be for being the worst singer in the Spice Girls.

I am like you Michael. I would feel better about the Honours list if the honours were given to the true heroes in this country.
Those who care for people, those who give their time to make a difference to childrens lives, those who do the thankless and often dirty stuff that we rely on.
Sportsmen and women are doing what they love to do, they get good amounts of recognition if they are successful, along with money to compensate them for their so called sacrifices(OK, they may not get money while they are amatuers, but they certainly make up for it once they aren't).
Likewise, the actors and other celebrities aren't exactly doing hard graft...yes they may donate to charity, but they can afford it . My admiration goes to those who have little but give much. It is easy to give when you have a lot of money....and sometimes the giving is done for the wrong reasons...to raise the personal profile of the celeb.

RainbowSix 01-01-2017 13:02

Yeah but look who Victoria has had to put up with for years, that on it's own is well worth a knighthood :) :)

Rowlf 01-01-2017 17:36

Well with a face that looks like it would crack if she ever smiled I think it is David who deserves a Knighthood.

MoreJoe 01-01-2017 17:36

How tickled I am.
Have you ever been tickled Mrs.?

yerself 02-01-2017 06:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1954
And Victoria Beckham's OBE is a reward for what?

You know what OBE stands for. Other B*ggers Efforts.

Exile on Spencer St 03-01-2017 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1184048)
Seems May has done a Cameron and knighted her cronies for donating and things...

I read (I know, I know, can you believe anything these days?) that these honours were settled months ago when Glossy-Cheeks Cameron was still PM.
Let's see what difference, if any, there is next year if May is still around.

kestrelx 14-01-2017 13:12

He was funny don't think he's that funny now... well not all the time...

This is Ken in 1963 with the Beatles and sporting what could be seen as the first punk rocker hair cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgiiSfrf3So

accyman 14-01-2017 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1184041)
They've finally forgiven him his little tax dodging indiscretions then? :) You're right though, he deserves it & people have done much worse things

didnt victoria beckham get one

and she sang live :eek:

badly

Rowlf 14-01-2017 20:25

He might not be as funny now KestrelX but he still packs theatres and he is certainly funnier than the so called comedians of today who seem to think they have to use bad language and obscene talk to get a laugh.