Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   New coinage (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/new-coinage-68775.html)

boxermum 01-01-2017 19:28

New coinage

Reported in Daily Mail today.New shape £1 coin coming into circulation this year.
Old pound coin to be replaced with new shape.Make sure to get rid of old round ones as they will no longer be legal tender after October (15th)I think.
Good excuse to empty the kids piggy bank.:s_whizz:

Retlaw 01-01-2017 21:14

Re: New coinage

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxermum (Post 1184202)
Reported in Daily Mail today.New shape £1 coin coming into circulation this year.
Old pound coin to be replaced with new shape.Make sure to get rid of old round ones as they will no longer be legal tender after October (15th)I think.
Good excuse to empty the kids piggy bank.:s_whizz:

Thats bloody daft, it will cost millions to convert all the cash machines that use the present pound coin, the mind boggles. April 1st hasn't come early this year has it.

Michael1954 01-01-2017 21:29

Apparently the new ones will be harder to forge, although as Walter says it will cause a lot of problems and expense converting cash machines. Bring back the 10 bob note and £1 note!

Rowlf 01-01-2017 21:39

Its not just the cash machines there are all the trolleys at the supermarkets. Making them harder to forge is good I suppose but surely they could have done that without changing the actual shape.

Alan Varrechia 01-01-2017 22:33

Looks like an old Thruppeny bit, and worth about the same now. :rolleyes:

odders 01-01-2017 22:47

It's been in the know for the last at least 2 Years. Hard cash should be done without anymore who needs pockets of metal in n their pockets when a plastic card requires only 4 numbers to pay for anything? More so now we have wireless they should up the limit from £30 to £100.

odders 01-01-2017 23:00

Is there a cash machine in the country that dispenses £1 coins? I think it's about cutting out the fraudulent use and manufacture. Your machine will conform to deposit them and not the billions of knock offs. Makes sense to me.

yerself 02-01-2017 06:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1954
Bring back the 10 bob note and £1 note!

While we're at it let's have button A and button B back in the phone boxes.:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 02-01-2017 07:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by odders (Post 1184214)
It's been in the know for the last at least 2 Years. Hard cash should be done without anymore who needs pockets of metal in n their pockets when a plastic card requires only 4 numbers to pay for anything? More so now we have wireless they should up the limit from £30 to £100.

Not everyone has these cards.
I have a debit card, but I never ever use the thing to pay for stuff wirelessly.
I do not trust them as I know that they are easy to get scammed.

I also think that using a card makes you consider your purchase far less... And this may lead you to overspend.
I LIKE cash. I do not mind having coins in my purse.
The other thing about having coins in my purse is that sometimes I will donate my loose change in one of the Charity shops or to the Salvation Army guy who stands on Broadway.
These cards may serve you very well, but they are not for everyone...and for a variety of reasons.

Margaret Pilkington 02-01-2017 07:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by odders (Post 1184216)
Is there a cash machine in the country that dispenses £1 coins? I think it's about cutting out the fraudulent use and manufacture. Your machine will conform to deposit them and not the billions of knock offs. Makes sense to me.

It isn't necessarily about machines dispensing coins, but about machines that receive coins in payment...like the self service tills in super markets.

cashman 02-01-2017 08:37

I have always preferred using cash, hence my username, and will continue to do so, i do have a card, for the simple reason yeh need one to book certain things, much to my annoyance, but sod all i can do about that fact, so am forced to tolerate em up to a point.

Margaret Pilkington 02-01-2017 09:13

I am a bit like you Cashy, I have both a debit and a credit card. They are necessary evils.
I use my debit card occasionally, my credit card rarely...as you say it is required to book certain things. I would never have had a credit card if we had not done a lot of Australian trips. You cannot book a hotel or a flight over there if you do not have a credit card.

AccyMad 02-01-2017 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowlf (Post 1184209)
Its not just the cash machines there are all the trolleys at the supermarkets. Making them harder to forge is good I suppose but surely they could have done that without changing the actual shape.

Wonder if they will change the trolleys to accommodate the new shaped £ coin or if it'd be cheaper for the supermarkets to issue all their customers with free trolley tokens? The mind boggles :rolleyes:

Less 04-01-2017 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1184248)
Wonder if they will change the trolleys to accommodate the new shaped £ coin or if it'd be cheaper for the supermarkets to issue all their customers with free trolley tokens? The mind boggles :rolleyes:

The idea of customers using coins to get a trolley is to get the customer to put it back rather than employ people to put them away, if they issued tokens which are worthless, people wouldn't bother returning the trolley.

As for all the electrical devices that accept pound coins, their coin mechs are programmable these days, only takes a few seconds to get them to take any coins from anywhere in the world.

AccyMad 04-01-2017 19:20

I almost always use my trolley token & I've never abandoned or nicked a trolley yet!:) just a handy way to make sure I can use a trolley if I need to even if I don't have a £ coin in my purse