Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Do you know where your nearest defibrillator is? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/do-you-know-where-your-nearest-defibrillator-is-69176.html)

bobthedj 23-05-2017 20:59

Do you know where your nearest defibrillator is?

Just asking because I know, I thought my partner was having a heart attack on Monday night and I was told by the ambulance service to get it quickly.
I got it straight away but luckily I didn't have to use it
My partner is fine now but I think that all should know where this equipment is because it could be worth finding out.

Restless 23-05-2017 21:05

re: Do you know where your nearest defibrillator is?

Nearest to me now(if it's still there) is Clayton outside the library

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Margaret Pilkington 23-05-2017 21:13

Yes and me...I think I would be alright. I have used a defibrillator before and I am told that the current ones give you instructions.
Glad to hear that your partner is alright Bob...it must have been very scary.

Rowlf 23-05-2017 21:16

Glad your partner is ok. I have no idea where there is one near me. I didnt even know there were ones for the public to use. Wouldnt think it is a good idea to leave someone you suspect of having a heart attack while you go off to find one anyway.

bobthedj 23-05-2017 21:48

No I was in a panic I got a next Door in, if you think this is it your brain doesn't work properly, I just think everyone should know if this is needed.

bobthedj 23-05-2017 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowlf (Post 1194800)
Glad your partner is ok. I have no idea where there is one near me. I didnt even know there were ones for the public to use. Wouldnt think it is a good idea to leave someone you suspect of having a heart attack while you go off to find one anyway.

That's why you should know where it is mine is 200 yards away

accyman 23-05-2017 22:41

in the kitchen

if someone rushes in and waves my last gas bill in front of me the shock should do the trick :D:eek:

KiTChener 24-05-2017 08:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobthedj (Post 1194806)
That's why you should know where it is mine is 200 yards away

Is there a register of where these are situated within the borough?

bobthedj 24-05-2017 10:33

I don't know but will try to find out

accyman 24-05-2017 14:07

http://www.heartsafe.org.uk/AED-Locations

put your location in atthe bottom of the map and it shoudl put up the nearest ones

KiTChener 24-05-2017 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1194829)
http://www.heartsafe.org.uk/AED-Locations

put your location in atthe bottom of the map and it shoudl put up the nearest ones

Thanks, accyman, have checked, none anywhere near where I live, shall have to rely on paramedics!!
Although, not sure how up to date map is, as I know that one has been installed in Baxenden in recent months, & not shown.

Thanks anyway.

accyman 24-05-2017 16:06

it might be an idea for them to show only ones that are available and charged ready for use as there was an issue with one been missing for some considerable amount of time due to it getting left somewhere uncharged

it was tracked down eventually and recharged then put back

Rowlf 24-05-2017 18:06

I have checked on the map but unfortunately the nearest one is in Trawden which is miles away. Seeing as I am only 5 mins from Burnley General I am better waiting for an ambulance. I think these devices are useful but unless you knew exactly how to use one it would take ages reading the instructions . I know from personal experience that if the person who needs immediate aid is a loved one it is very hard to think straight . My mum collapsed outside Burtons in Accy Arndale and I couldnt have told you my name never mind anything else. I do think it is vital for junior football or cricket or other sports groups to have one onsite and have a few people trained to use them.

Margaret Pilkington 24-05-2017 18:22

These defibrillators are specially designed to be used by lay people...but yes, I get what you are saying.
At times of stress we are inclined to go into panic paralysis.
I have had extensive experience, but could not guarantee that in circumstances where a family member was in dire straits, I would remain cool and collected.
You never know until you are tested...and I hope to forego that.

cashman 24-05-2017 18:23

Cheers accyman, none near ossy so thats us knackered,wi the time it takes Ambulances to come these days.:eek: mind yeh until bobthedj posted this, we didn't know anyway that these lifesavers existed outside of medical places.;)