Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   New Driving Test (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/new-driving-test-69190.html)

Rowlf 29-05-2017 14:14

New Driving Test

I understand that from December 4th this year the new driving test will include the ability to use a sat nav including positioning it correctly and following instructions. It will not include the 'turn in the road' i.e. 3 point turn or reversing round a corner. Surely it more important to be able to manoeuvre a vehicle than know how to rely on a device which will often send you on a goose chase.

accyman 29-05-2017 14:19

Re: New Driving Test

could definatley do with a bit more emphasis on how to park and where to park and more explanation as to what a red traffic light means

cashman 29-05-2017 14:30

Cannot see any reason to include a sat nav in a driving test., be much better teaching people to drive without a mobile phone.:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 29-05-2017 14:30

Cannot see how using a satnav is important. The ability to read the road...road signs and the minds of other drivers is much more relevant.

Margaret Pilkington 29-05-2017 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1195187)
could definatley do with a bit more emphasis on how to park and where to park and more explanation as to what a red traffic light means

Especially to those who drive taxis with the name of something large on the side...a shortened version of Maximum.

Neil 29-05-2017 15:58

Satnavs are built into many new cars, maybe they want to make sure you can operate the controls of the car in a same manner.

Rowlf 29-05-2017 16:10

Knowing about road signs is included in the written test. I think being able to handle a vehicle is far more important. As you say Neil many new cars have sat nav inbuilt .Thank goodness ours does not. The voice keep piping up would drive me mad. I know from friends experiences with them they can send you way out of your way. I much prefer to read a map before setting off and making a note of road numbers. It is no trouble pulling up in a layby and checking if need be. I would not be surprised if some young ones these days have not the faintest idea how to read a map.

Neil 29-05-2017 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowlf (Post 1195196)
Knowing about road signs is included in the written test. I think being able to handle a vehicle is far more important. As you say Neil many new cars have sat nav inbuilt .Thank goodness ours does not. The voice keep piping up would drive me mad. I know from friends experiences with them they can send you way out of your way. I much prefer to read a map before setting off and making a note of road numbers. It is no trouble pulling up in a layby and checking if need be. I would not be surprised if some young ones these days have not the faintest idea how to read a map.

You can switch them off.

Satnavs are very good, you can't read a paper map while driving but the satnav will keep directing you. Many are now internet connected and know where traffic jams, road closures etc are and will take you around them.

A paper map was only correct when printed. Satnavs can be updated and many do it themselves so they are more accurate than paper maps

Margaret Pilkington 29-05-2017 17:11

The thing is, a satnav is quite distracting...and I would say it is on a par with a mobile phone...I never use satnav. I prefer to check on the route before leaving home and then follow the road signs.( though I do not drive much these days)
I also think it is a bad move to remove basic driving techniques from the test.
I can understand that most modern cars come with satnav, but the ability to read the road and follow road signs is paramount.

Less 29-05-2017 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1195197)
You can switch them off.

Satnavs are very good, you can't read a paper map while driving but the satnav will keep directing you. Many are now internet connected and know where traffic jams, road closures etc are and will take you around them.

A paper map was only correct when printed. Satnavs can be updated and many do it themselves so they are more accurate than paper maps

I do agree, a sat nav is a wonderful aid to driving usually when we are in an area unknown, (most folk only travel within 30 miles of their comfort zone, unlike professional drivers) though I think I would prefer a test that shows people competent with the minimum of incoming information such as road signs before they move on to the extra distraction of a sat nav.

Rowlf 29-05-2017 21:23

If someone cannot turn a car around i.e. 3 point turn or reverse around a corner they should not pass a driving test. Goodness knows cars are so much easier to handle now than years ago with having power assisted steering .

RainbowSix 30-05-2017 05:55

Thing is, a sat nav is not fitted to all cars, in fact it is only high end cars that get fitted with it - it is an optional extra.
So IMO it should not be a required part of the test - instead things like simple maintenance, how to check that lights actually work etc. should be.

MoreJoe 30-05-2017 12:23

They might also consider adding a couple of more categories to the test.
Driving while texting.
(Send and receive 6 texts while not hitting more than one car or pedestrian)
Driving while eating.
(Steer with your knees while eating a greasy cheeseburger without staining clothes)
Non Alcoholic driving while drinking.
(Consume a large beverage in heavy traffic with no more than one spill)
Driving while putting on makeup.
(Multiple categories; Female, Male, Transgender, Rock Star)
Safe Road Raging.
(Swerving to cut off a specific target vehicle while endangering at least 3 others)
Pedestrian Scattering
(Accelerate towards an occupied pedestrian crossing and brake at the last moment)
(Extra points for tire squeal)
Driving with earbuds.
(Earbuds playing 100 decibels of music through fast moving heavy traffic)

It is the world in which we live!

Gremlin 30-05-2017 12:45

I wonder if the motorcycle driving test will include reading a a satnav.

accyman 30-05-2017 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreJoe (Post 1195226)
They might also consider adding a couple of more categories to the test.
Driving while texting.
(Send and receive 6 texts while not hitting more than one car or pedestrian)
Driving while eating.
(Steer with your knees while eating a greasy cheeseburger without staining clothes)
Non Alcoholic driving while drinking.
(Consume a large beverage in heavy traffic with no more than one spill)
Driving while putting on makeup.
(Multiple categories; Female, Male, Transgender, Rock Star)
Safe Road Raging.
(Swerving to cut off a specific target vehicle while endangering at least 3 others)
Pedestrian Scattering
(Accelerate towards an occupied pedestrian crossing and brake at the last moment)
(Extra points for tire squeal)
Driving with earbuds.
(Earbuds playing 100 decibels of music through fast moving heavy traffic)

It is the world in which we live!

you forgot dogging etiquette ......

its all well teaching people what light setting to have in various weather conditions but just because its dark it dosnt mean its ok to drive on to a car park with full beam on