Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Help....! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/help-70575.html)

Ryewolf90 06-05-2019 12:10

Re: Help....!

You can make a system restore disk from Windows 7 itself providing you have a dvd writer in your machine.

Margaret Pilkington 06-05-2019 13:48

Yes, I have a DVD writer.
That is a damn good idea Ryewolf.
I will do that.
Thank you for the prompt.

Margaret Pilkington 06-05-2019 13:51

I am not hoping to need to go through all that again, but it makes sense to do what is necessary should it go on the fritz again.

Margaret Pilkington 06-05-2019 14:48

Done....two recovery discs made.
Back up of all files onto an external hard drive.
Belt and braces should give me some confidence just to be on the safe side.

I hope that some of you have learned from my mishap....but then I guess you are all up to speed on backing up:)

RainbowSix 06-05-2019 20:15

Nah, dont bother with it myself - after all what's the worse that could happen.

I'd only lose everything :) :) (been there, done that, lost the data!)

Margaret Pilkington 07-05-2019 09:40

Yes, I have too....three times.....so that should have taught me that there is no substitute for backing up.
Except, I backed up to an external hard drive.
Felt confident that if it was needed, all my files were safely stored.
WRONG....that hard drive failed....it had not occurred to me that this was a possibility.
My system reminds me to back up....Bullguard reminds me to back up.
I just got lazy and sloppy.....and it takes something like this weekend to pull you up sharp.

monkey hanger 08-05-2019 09:37

welcolm to my world margaret. took me ages to get back on here for a start as i could not pick up emails for a new password till yesterday. how long this will last is anyones guess. what with computers and modernish cars i,m getting ready to give up. wish we were back with getting the pink or green saturday nights sports paper and running my 1947 humber super snipe at times like this.

RainbowSix 08-05-2019 10:11

For passwords I use lastpass, this means that I only need to remember 1 secure password and then every site I go on I get to use the longest and most secure unique passwords.
Not the name of my cat, dog or firstborn child - but one that is going to take years to hack.

All accessible via any browser or phone\tablet etc.

Which, if the unfortunate happens and my PC goes to the PC graveyard suddenly, I can instantly log into places as my passwords are not stored only locally.

Margaret Pilkington 08-05-2019 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1228173)
welcolm to my world margaret. took me ages to get back on here for a start as i could not pick up emails for a new password till yesterday. how long this will last is anyones guess. what with computers and modernish cars i,m getting ready to give up. wish we were back with getting the pink or green saturday nights sports paper and running my 1947 humber super snipe at times like this.

That was my worry if I had to replace my system.
I am careful over passwords and these days many sites....especially banks have multi layered security.

But getting the thing working was a HUGE relief.
I felt very proud of myself, getting it going(wish I could work out how I had done it though).
It was losing my design program and the projects that are stored in that program that would have been the facer.
I would have had a lot of work to do to catch up.
And I know it is only a hobby....not a business.
When you have promised people hand made cards, you feel honour bound to get them made.

Margaret Pilkington 08-05-2019 15:41

10 Attachment(s)
These are just a few of the projects that would have been lost forever.

monkey hanger 09-05-2019 08:55

[QUOTE=RainbowSix;1228175]For passwords I use lastpass, this means that I only need to remember 1 secure password and then every site I go on I get to use the longest and most secure unique passwords.

do not go on many sites but accy web is the one i do seem to have trouble with for some reason. wonder if being yorkshire based as anything to do with it.

RainbowSix 09-05-2019 10:15

Probably, have you enabled the "passport mode" ?? :)