Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Corona Virus (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/corona-virus-70938.html)

Margaret Pilkington 16-03-2020 20:58

Re: Corona Virus

aldi at Accrington and Great harwood were a little better..though there were no eggs, no paracetamol.
There was fesh chicken, minced beef and steaks...no pasta, no toilet rolls, no nappies.

This situation has been generated by the media.
They have whipped up a storm of fear and anxiety in people.

We have bought nothing out of the ordinary...we have not bought extra food or toiletries...even though we are in the age group that are going to be asked to confine ourselves to home.

It really beggars belief.....they let criminals out of jails and ask pensioners to submit to house arrest for four months....even if they are fit and well.

This is all very nebulous...and worrying. We do not know how we are expected to self isolate, yet get prescriptions, or food...or pay our bills.
They think we all have smart phones and can order groceries online.....when most retailers are not taking new subscribers.
Many of the elderly will not have internet access and some may not have any family to help them out.

I think someone left the bag of idiots open.

monkey hanger 17-03-2020 10:10

you are wasted on here margaret. you should get a regular column in some national paper to put the view that the vast majority of us other oldies think. got told off by my other half for putting a black cross on our front door with plastic tape to warn others that 2 over 70,s live here. infact someone should get those stickers like those that say stuff like german shepherd on board made that say over 70 on board to warn folk that us plague carriers are about.

cashman 17-03-2020 10:26

doubt if they would allow her on national media they percieve what she says dont sell papers, imho.

Margaret Pilkington 17-03-2020 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1238315)
you are wasted on here margaret. you should get a regular column in some national paper to put the view that the vast majority of us other oldies think. got told off by my other half for putting a black cross on our front door with plastic tape to warn others that 2 over 70,s live here. infact someone should get those stickers like those that say stuff like german shepherd on board made that say over 70 on board to warn folk that us plague carriers are about.

I just say it how I see it.
I have a verydown to earth view of life....with just a dash of what I consider to be 'common sense'.
Like Cashy says, I don't think my opinions would go down with the current 'woke' ideas....but if there is anyone out there who would employ me as a columnist....well he'll, I 'd be up,for that.:D

Margaret Pilkington 17-03-2020 12:33

Went into 'Old and Bargain' this morning.....the place was like the plague of locusts had landed and devoured everything.
Wanted some paracetamol(they used to be on prescription for himself....now we buy them)....I have not stocked up, or bought extra stuff since this drama started.....but none to be had.
The cleaning product aisle was also empty.
They were unloading some loo rolls.....and it was like a bun fight.....one woman loaded 14 packs of nine rolls into a trolley.......how very, very selfish.
She could see the black looks she was getting and probably hear the comment that were passed, but she strolled to the till and out to her car.

Aldi was bereft of fresh meat....although there were chickens and chicken fillets.
No eggs, no pasta....tinned products very limited.

Himself went to Morrisons and he said it was very similar there.

From this weekend, we are in the category of the population who are supposed to be voluntarily self isolating.....but yet there is still no solution as to how we obtain daily staples like bread, milk, vegetables....let alone any medications that might be required.
Yet these selfish people stockpile items when they are able to go out and about freely and unrestricted.
Don't they realise that they are part of the problem?
Yes, I know that is a silly question in this 'me, me, me, society'.

Ryewolf90 17-03-2020 14:16

Cooling oil is also hard to find none in Asda except very expensive olive oil, none in B&M or Aldi.

Aldi did have a good supply of toilet when I went 30 minutes ago - they were restricting things to 4 units per person.

Margaret Pilkington 17-03-2020 14:35

The expensive olive oil is not good to cook with.....it changes when heated and produces chemicals that are said to be implicated in causing cancer.
Fultons on Union street had some bottles of Crisp and Dry this morning...though how long they will last is anyone's guess.

Exile on Spencer St 17-03-2020 18:02

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1238319)
....one woman loaded 14 packs of nine rolls into a trolley.......how very, very selfish.....

Was it this woman?

Margaret Pilkington 17-03-2020 18:43

Ha-ha-ha....I like that.

I said to my husband....'I hope that when she opens them all they are misaligned...or the glue has stuck many layers together...It would serve her right.
I am not usually vindictive...but for her I made an exception.

dotti34 17-03-2020 21:10

Here in Australia some of the big supermarkets made a decision that, for one specific hour a day (7 am to 8 am), only senior citizens and disabled people would be allowed in to shop, to make it safer for them because during the day there is so much pushing and shoving, and selfish shopping.

Good idea for those who want it but unfortunately on the first day when the people got there a lot of the shelves were empty!! I think it was a bit better today – but I can’t understand why the most popular item is still toilet paper. Personally I can think of better things to do early in the morning – sleep! enjoy a cuppa!

Margaret Pilkington 17-03-2020 21:16

Iceland, Lidl and Nationwide bank have done this, but unfortunately not where we are.
I think this is a good idea...but it still means that people cannot self isolate.
This self isolation has been badly thought out...in fact I doubt that much thought was given to it at all.
It just seems that there is nothing by way of organisation to ensure those who have no one can get services. No firm measures to ensure the vulnerable are taken care of.
It is almost like they are saying we oldies are disposable, yet they are pretending it is to safeguard our health and safety.
That is my take on the situation.
In wartime at least folk got Red Cross parcels.

shillelagh 17-03-2020 22:30

1 Attachment(s)
bramwells fish stall on the market had a special offer on today :D

shillelagh 17-03-2020 22:36

3 Attachment(s)
it was quiet in town today … you could even park on warner street at 10am this morning .. normally its full of cars ..today well you can see

Hill Walker 17-03-2020 22:44

I seem to be suffering a side effect from this virus. No I don’t have the virus, just the side effect, which is memories of other ‘National Crises’ and other illness related things. Some examples:-

“Kills All Known Germs” an advertising slogan I haven’t heard for a very long time. For some reason this keeps popping into my head just like one of those songs or tunes that pop up from time to time.

Toilet Paper. The first ‘domestic task’ I was given as a small child was tearing up newspaper. This was before I was tall enough to be able to participate in the washing up and shopping tasks. The first and for several years the only place I came across ‘real’ toilet paper was school. If you needed to go you had to ask and were then indiscreetly asked 1 or 2. If it was 2 you were given one sheet and were expected to use your initiative for the rest of your requirement.

The Three Day Week. This panic buying of candles and wicks for old oil lamps. Actually for me this was not a problem, I live in a windy rural area with lots of overhead electricity wiring so the local shop had plenty as did all local residents. Also remember the petrol rationing coupons that were issued, they appeared to have been in storage somewhere since WWII.

The trigger for this memory was a brief conversation with a neighbour who was just returning from a shopping trip. I asked how successful it had been and got the obvious and expected comments about toilet rolls etc followed by the comment ’they haven’t thought it through - the condom shelf is still full’. Remember nine months after the three day week?

Hill Walker 17-03-2020 23:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1238319)
.....but yet there is still no solution as to how we obtain daily staples like bread, milk, vegetables....let alone any medications that might be required.

There was a comment on something I read earlier today that said GP's would get in touch with 'vunerable patients' to explain how to get medication. I cannot remember where this was but time will tell if its accurate.