Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Corona Virus (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/corona-virus-70938.html)

cashman 31-01-2020 08:57

Corona Virus

i just heard two people from same family in britain have this horrible virus, hope they recover, but what amazes me, is the fact the government will not name them , cos of Patient Confidentiality, this to me is crazy in these circumstances,the point to me is, if they name them, then anyone who has had contact, is very likely to go for a test? surely? also if they are elderly then theres a fair chance they cannot remember everyone they have been in touch with. to me this Patient Confidentiality, in this instance puts the public at risk. what do you think?

taddy 31-01-2020 09:50

Re: Corona Virus

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1236555)
i just heard two people from same family in britain have this horrible virus, hope they recover, but what amazes me, is the fact the government will not name them , cos of Patient Confidentiality, this to me is crazy in these circumstances,the point to me is, if they name them, then anyone who has had contact, is very likely to go for a test? surely? also if they are elderly then theres a fair chance they cannot remember everyone they have been in touch with. to me this Patient Confidentiality, in this instance puts the public at risk. what do you think?

In rare instances like this I can only agree with what you say but the downside could be public panic and a rush on A.E. departments by people who have cough, sore thoat etc.

Margaret Pilkington 31-01-2020 11:37

Cashy, there will be a team who are very used to dealing with contact tracing....so it really is not necessary to publish the names or locations of these people.
Ask yourself if it were members of your family, would you like their names published?

Everyone regardless ,should be taking precautions at this time of year(flu season)
My own precautions are these:-
1) Wear gloves when you are out and about....touching surfaces that other people have touched when they have sneezed into their hands, is a fine way of picking up viruses.
Viruses can live on hard surfaces for more than 24 hours.
2) wash your hands before you eat....always. This is more effective than using antibacterial gel(this gel may be ineffective in killing viruses unles they are heavy on the alcohol).
3) steer clear of young children....they are good carriers of bugs and viruses.
4) if you have a cold /flu stay home.....don't spread the virus....use paper hankies and dispose of them sensibly....wash your hands frequently so that whatever you touch does not become contaminated with the virus.

The media are whipping up a frenzy about this issue.
If you look at the population of China and try to put those who are infected and those who have died into a percentage of the population....it is infinitesimal.
That is not to say we have to be cavalier.
They keep telling us that there is no CURE for this....but then there is no cure for the common cold or for flu...both are treated symptomatically.

cashman 31-01-2020 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1236573)
Cashy, there will be a team who are very used to dealing with contact tracing....so it really is not necessary to publish the names or locations of these people.
Ask yourself if it were members of your family, would you like their names published?

Everyone regardless ,should be taking precautions at this time of year(flu season)
My own precautions are these:-
1) Wear gloves when you are out and about....touching surfaces that other people have touched when they have sneezed into their hands, is a fine way of picking up viruses.
Viruses can live on hard surfaces for more than 24 hours.
2) wash your hands before you eat....always. This is more effective than using antibacterial gel(this gel may be ineffective in killing viruses unles they are heavy on the alcohol).
3) steer clear of young children....they are good carriers of bugs and viruses.
4) if you have a cold /flu stay home.....don't spread the virus....use paper hankies and dispose of them sensibly....wash your hands frequently so that whatever you touch does not become contaminated with the virus.

The media are whipping up a frenzy about this issue.
If you look at the population of China and try to put those who are infected and those who have died into a percentage of the population....it is infinitesimal.
That is not to say we have to be cavalier.
They keep telling us that there is no CURE for this....but then there is no cure for the common cold or for flu...both are treated symptomatically.

To be perfectly honest if we were unfortunate enough to be involved and it was members of my family, i would not mind at all, safety of people comes first in my book.

Exile on Spencer St 31-01-2020 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1236574)
To be perfectly honest if we were unfortunate enough to be involved and it was members of my family, i would not mind at all, safety of people comes first in my book.

Trouble is, would any medics be able to reach you and your family through the throng of media vultures that would be camped outside your front door? :rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 31-01-2020 12:47

I can understand that you are concerned about safety Cashy, but the professionals are also concerned in protecting not just the general public, but also the two people who are diagnosed with the virus.
The two people will be treated and quarantined, the contacts will be sought and likewise, they will be looked after and very likely put into quarantine to protect the public.

cashman 31-01-2020 13:16

i wonder cos if that was me then i could defo not remember who i have been in touch with for the last 2 weeks, not a hope in hell.

Margaret Pilkington 31-01-2020 13:27

These tracers are skilled in getting information....and they will not rely on the two people who are currently sick....they will look at how they travelled, they will have lists from airlines of who was on the flight, they will put out requests for people who are likely to have come into contact with them on trains, or in the hotel....and to be fair if the names were published, the people who may have been in contact with them on a train or a bus would not know who they were....how often do we give our personal details to a fellow traveller on a bus or train.
The Health teams are just as keen to prevent an escalation of the spread of this virus as you are to stay safe.

The situation is serious, but it needs to be put into perspective...and right now it is forcing the news of Brexit out of news bulletins(to a degree) and that pleases the mainstream media, who have had absolutely nothing positive to say about it from the outset....somfornthem this is a win.

cashman 31-01-2020 14:59

Brexit will never be out of the news, the media will see to that, today means not much, the next 12 months they will play and bitch like hell about how the deal is going.

Jimmy Clitheroe 31-01-2020 20:04

Quote:

I think we need to leave it in the hands of the authorities. Involving the public would only complicate matters and may even endanger innocent people. I recall when a mob went on the rampage down in Portsmouth after some paedophile and attacked the home of a paediatrician. Could see a mob burning the poor folk's house - there are that many idiots about these days.

DaveinGermany 01-02-2020 15:35

Quote:

i just heard two people from same family in britain have this horrible virus,

Just a side note to that, perhaps despite being in UK they are of foreign extraction? Just think how that would also play out in the papers. I admittedly don't see or hear much British news coverage except what I read daily online & have seen no mention of this, where did you get it from Cashy? Genuine question.

cashman 01-02-2020 16:23

was on the news here dave never said they were foreign though.

DaveinGermany 01-02-2020 17:19

Not saying they are, but a lot of media outlets don't mention (aren't allowed) peoples ethnicity in case of being slated as "Ist", unless of course it's a white male then they're fair game.

Margaret Pilkington 01-02-2020 19:24

Yes...they are Chinese..one is a student studying at York University the other is a family member visiting form China

DaveinGermany 01-02-2020 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1236670)
Yes...they are Chinese..one is a student studying at York University the other is a family member visiting form China

Bingo, now if the majority of press had highlighted this the lefterists & sjw's would've been hopping up & down going apopleptic screaming racist & nazi reporters picking on some poor Chinky. ;)

cashman 01-02-2020 19:42

thats typical of the snowflakes in the media, most people wish em well and soon recover dont matter a stuff there authenticity.

DaveinGermany 01-02-2020 20:14

1 Attachment(s)
Ooh, I think I might be poorly soon! Will have to book in sick ....

Jimmy Clitheroe 02-02-2020 00:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1236661)
Not saying they are, but a lot of media outlets don't mention (aren't allowed) peoples ethnicity in case of being slated as "Ist", unless of course it's a white male then they're fair game.

Kind of like how a poor newsreader gets treated.....

a black man calls a white man an ape that's an insult
a white man calls a black man an ape that's racist...

and people wonder why we're fed up with it all

Margaret Pilkington 02-02-2020 08:07

Alistair Stewart should be reinstated immediately....it was a total politically correct knee jerk reaction.
What is wrong with thin skinned folk these days....can't they shrug off what they feel are insults.
All I can say is that they must be very insecure people.

Exile on Spencer St 05-03-2020 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1236585)
The situation is serious, but it needs to be put into perspective...and right now it is forcing the news of Brexit out of news bulletins(to a degree)...

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1236591)
Brexit will never be out of the news, the media will see to that....

You couldn’t make it up but those congenital Remoaners, the Libdums, just can’t help making idiots of themselves.
https://facts4eu.org/news/2020_mar_coronavirus

Margaret Pilkington 05-03-2020 14:43

I am not sure what the scores on the doors are regarding the Covid19 virus right now,but the population of the UK is around 60.7 million.....so if we have 85-100 cases it is not worthy of all this panic.
Panic that is being generated by the media.
If you are under 60 years old and you get this you have a 98% chance of a full recovery.
If you are over 60 (or have other complex medical problems)then you have an 85% chance of a full,recovery if you catch this.
You may not get it at all.
It is time that people started using their brains and putting things into perspective.
No...I am not saying that this infection does not have the POTENTIAL TO KILL.
it does in the same way that I have the potential to become a millionaire.

Take precautions, be sensible, but let's live cheerful, not fearful....experts have been wrong in the past.

RainbowSix 06-03-2020 06:12

Given the way one Chinese guy has already been treated and he didn't even have the sniffles, publishing their names would be like saying to the stupid thugs out there "hey - here is someone who you can go harass, beat up and burn down"...

It would be like a KKK revival meeting outside their house.

Do the government publish the names of everyone that gets the flu every year? (no)
As far as I know that kills over 600 people every year.

cashman 06-03-2020 08:21

As usual the public in general are overeacting to this virus, with panic buying, i know of one family that have cancelled a £5000 grand holiday they have lost the money. everone has been told its more dodgy for people of my age and older, but the chances of getting it are VERY small. we go away in 2 weeks time and i sure aint cancelling.

Margaret Pilkington 06-03-2020 08:55

Live Cheerful, Not fearful Cashy.
Have a great time...we are only here once.

Margaret Pilkington 06-03-2020 08:56

If it has your number on it, it will get you...where ever you are.

Hill Walker 06-03-2020 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1237875)
As usual the public in general are overeacting to this virus,

On this day in this country: Your chances of catching this virus is about the same as your chances of being involved in a serious road accident. As for dying from it, about the same as a really big lottery win.

Obviously this will change with the passage of time but how much and when is not yet properly predictable. People have very poor ability to judge risk, this adds to the Lemming Effect, and panic buying is one consequence.

monkey hanger 06-03-2020 10:57

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;
Panic that is being generated by the media.

or is it just good for sales and viewing figures. would have been interesting to have seen the present day media reaction to the dunkirk evacuation and bombing raids on britain. do not worry folks, the virus has not hit love island yet and there is time for it to be cleared up before that jungle starts up next november.

cashman 06-03-2020 11:45

was on telly this morning some hand gel which retails at £3-odd, is selling for £130 odd quid on Amazon. obviousy some dickheads will pay it.:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 06-03-2020 12:35

If you really wanted to make something that would give you some added protection(hand washing is the best though)....you could do worse than adding ten drops of lavender oil and ten drops of tea tree into 100 MLS of water, put it into a micro spray bottle.
Spray this on your hands(shake before use) don't over wet....and rub your hand together until they dry.
It is important to realise that over use of hand gels and antibacs can get rid of you natural friendly bacteria, leaving the way open for more dangerous bugs.

It is really all about PERSPECTIVE.
Everyday life has risks attached to it....risks that we hardly give a thought to....the current media coverage is magnifying the risks and creating anxiety and panic.

DaveinGermany 06-03-2020 21:56

A couple of bottles of Domestos should cover all eventualities & Beer, stay home drinking Beer (other beverages are available, but don't taste as good) & I reckon you'll be right! :)

Margaret Pilkington 06-03-2020 21:58

Just don't get the bottles mixed up in an alcoholic haze....drinking Domestos and rubbing your hand with Beer .....might work you know....but it won't be fun!

DaveinGermany 06-03-2020 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1237924)
Just don't get the bottles mixed up in an alcoholic haze....drinking Domestos and rubbing your hand with Beer .....might work you know....but it won't be fun!

Most assuredly, but I think I'm pretty safe as I only drink what I fetch out of the fridge. :D

Jimmy Clitheroe 06-03-2020 23:15

I would like to see the NHS issue some info on who is most at risk (age, underlying medical conditions etc) - they seem to be a bit slow at letting people know who is most likely to succumb to the virus.

Margaret Pilkington 07-03-2020 08:06

Jimmy, I can tell you that information.
Anyone over the age of 60 is more at risk.
Diabetics
Those whose immunity is compromised....Patients having Chemo,pregnant women.
Anyone with a heart condition.
Anyone with chest problems....asthma, chronic lung disease.
This is not rocket science to work it out, but even then the risks, if you take sensible actions are not that great, because right now with the current state of things you probably have more chance of winning the lotto(even if you haven't bought a ticket)
Now if whole swathes of the country are knocked down by this virus, then you can get out your worries then.
Oh, by the way, that list is not exhaustive....but it gives you the ideas...probably as much as the NHS would issue....except they are a bit busy right now dealing with 'worried well' who demand to be tested for this virus because the have a headache..

The whole thing about the media is they go into a frenzy.
And you know what, a lot of our population swallow it whole without the process of chewing....they put zero rational thought into the equation, hence the panic buying of lavvy paper and hand gel.

taddy 07-03-2020 09:35

We could always go back 60 years or so, to the time when the daily paper was cut or torn into six inch squares and hung on a nail on the Lavvy door.
If anyone is thinking of this option, please feel free to use the Sun, In my opinion thats about all it is fit for.

Hill Walker 07-03-2020 10:52

Just come back from a supermarket trip. I hate going to the supermarket so having a choice of two, one big, one small, both equidistant I normally go to the small one, better parking and I can get round it quicker. However about once a month I go to the big one to get the items that the small one does not sell mainly refill packets of various things and large packets of some items.
The Lemmings had obviously been there.
The 'pain killer' shelves had been stripped bare, no problem didn't want or need any. Interestingly the 'cold and flue remedy' shelves had not been touched, obviously the Lemmings don't read the ingredients part of the labels.
The 'gel type' soap shelves also stripped bare but interestingly solid soap in packets untouched. No problem, I would have bought a refill pack if there had been any but only because that would have been a normal purchase at this time, I've got about a months worth at home.
The pasta shelves were nearly bare, one lonely packet in the back corner of one shelf, no problem didn't want any. Did notice the solitary packet had gone ten minutes later when going to the payout.
Toilet rolls, the larger packs had obviously taken a big hit, still some there but not as many as there should have been. Lots of small packs, obviously the Lemmings were being selective.
Got sort of grumbled at for using cash rather than a credit card.
I suppose it was about what I expected.

cashman 07-03-2020 11:15

Lemmings is a nice word for those people, myself i say knobheads.;)

RainbowSix 07-03-2020 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1237942)
please feel free to use the Sun, In my opinion thats about all it is fit for.

Sorry but I don't use loo paper thats previously been used, and thus I wont use the sun/mirror/mail as it's already full of $h1t :)

DaveinGermany 07-03-2020 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1237953)

Aah Cashy my friend, subtle & concise as ever. :D

Jimmy Clitheroe 07-03-2020 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1237953)

It's a pity they don't emulate the original lemming myth and take a jump over the nearest cliff (mind you if the papers or telly told 'em to.....)

dotti34 07-03-2020 21:44

The toilet roll saga has certainly brought out the worst in some people. Latest pictures over here show women actually fighting very viciously over packets of the stuff. Unbelievable! On my weekly shopping expedition to the supermarket I found that all the shelves of food, etc., were well stocked – but not a toilet roll in sight. However, there were lots for sale at the local fruit and veg shop, which I found very amusing.

However, another fruit and veg shop elsewhere has been banned from selling toilet rolls as they were asking a much-inflated price.

What I can’t understand is that if people are worried about possible shortages why isn’t it foodstuffs they are stocking up on and not toilet paper of all things. There’s no rhyme or reason. Only thing I can think of is that there must be a lot of bums around the place.

ferret man 09-03-2020 21:11

could be this has really scared people, I mean "REALLY SCARED"

Margaret Pilkington 09-03-2020 21:19

yes I read somewhere that someone sneezed and ten people crapped themselves

monkey hanger 10-03-2020 08:22

with having a nearly a permanent cold and sneaze i,m just waiting to be stoned to death or burried in a toilet roll mountain for my troubles.

cashman 10-03-2020 08:47

those stocking up on toilet rolls are crapping themselves fer chance they get the virus dotti, complete idiots in other words.

Poinsterity 10-03-2020 16:59

Why are people hoarding toilet papers? also saw a video of women fighting for toilet papers. it's insane!

cashman 10-03-2020 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poinsterity (Post 1238089)
Why are people hoarding toilet papers? also saw a video of women fighting for toilet papers. it's insane!

see post 45 mate theres yer answer.:D

Ryewolf90 10-03-2020 18:43

I Saved £22.50 on my daily shop by not buying 72 rolls of toilet paper.....

RainbowSix 10-03-2020 19:20

Perhaps it's because we in the UK have not accepted the use of the Bidet ???

They are uncommon over here. :)

I picked up 2x48 pack while at Asda the other day, it was 50p cheaper than normal so I stocked up on it, nothing to do with expecting to be housebound for 2 weeks.

Margaret Pilkington 10-03-2020 21:39

We shopped yesterday and bought nothing extra.
Feed a cold and starve a fever.

monkey hanger 11-03-2020 09:15

shopped yesterday and bought up a few copies of the guardian, a hole punch and a bowl of string.

Margaret Pilkington 11-03-2020 10:23

that won't clean the crap off your bum..in fact it might add some!

monkey hanger 11-03-2020 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1238129)
that won't clean the crap off your bum..in fact it might add some!

unless you are contortionist at least you cannot read it. anyway i,ve some holy water on order to finish the job off. i,ll be fine now.

Margaret Pilkington 11-03-2020 13:07

You do not need to be a contortionist to read that rag whilst wiping your bum....you just need to be a MOTHER...they have eyes everywhere!

Ryewolf90 11-03-2020 17:14

Just been to Asda they have sold out of toilet rolls, pasta and beans.....

Exile on Spencer St 11-03-2020 18:32

Presumably, baked beans are the priority then comes the realisation of the need for more toilet rolls? :rolleyes:

RainbowSix 12-03-2020 08:47

I do wonder how things will go on at work, coz if they cannot get loo roll then they are not providing the toilet facilities they are legally required to do and may have to send us home.... (just like if the water gets cut off)
Lol

DaveinGermany 13-03-2020 11:21

What a wicked bunch of irreverents you lot are! Mocking the hard of thinking so ruthlessly. ;)

cashman 13-03-2020 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1238232)
What a wicked bunch of irreverents you lot are! Mocking the hard of thinking so ruthlessly. ;)

true but nobodys telling lies.:D

Ryewolf90 16-03-2020 18:39

Went to both Asda and Tesco today, no fresh chicken to be found at either and tinned food shelves virtually empty... Accrington Asda has reduced it's opening times

Margaret Pilkington 16-03-2020 20:58

aldi at Accrington and Great harwood were a little better..though there were no eggs, no paracetamol.
There was fesh chicken, minced beef and steaks...no pasta, no toilet rolls, no nappies.

This situation has been generated by the media.
They have whipped up a storm of fear and anxiety in people.

We have bought nothing out of the ordinary...we have not bought extra food or toiletries...even though we are in the age group that are going to be asked to confine ourselves to home.

It really beggars belief.....they let criminals out of jails and ask pensioners to submit to house arrest for four months....even if they are fit and well.

This is all very nebulous...and worrying. We do not know how we are expected to self isolate, yet get prescriptions, or food...or pay our bills.
They think we all have smart phones and can order groceries online.....when most retailers are not taking new subscribers.
Many of the elderly will not have internet access and some may not have any family to help them out.

I think someone left the bag of idiots open.

monkey hanger 17-03-2020 10:10

you are wasted on here margaret. you should get a regular column in some national paper to put the view that the vast majority of us other oldies think. got told off by my other half for putting a black cross on our front door with plastic tape to warn others that 2 over 70,s live here. infact someone should get those stickers like those that say stuff like german shepherd on board made that say over 70 on board to warn folk that us plague carriers are about.

cashman 17-03-2020 10:26

doubt if they would allow her on national media they percieve what she says dont sell papers, imho.

Margaret Pilkington 17-03-2020 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1238315)
you are wasted on here margaret. you should get a regular column in some national paper to put the view that the vast majority of us other oldies think. got told off by my other half for putting a black cross on our front door with plastic tape to warn others that 2 over 70,s live here. infact someone should get those stickers like those that say stuff like german shepherd on board made that say over 70 on board to warn folk that us plague carriers are about.

I just say it how I see it.
I have a verydown to earth view of life....with just a dash of what I consider to be 'common sense'.
Like Cashy says, I don't think my opinions would go down with the current 'woke' ideas....but if there is anyone out there who would employ me as a columnist....well he'll, I 'd be up,for that.:D

Margaret Pilkington 17-03-2020 12:33

Went into 'Old and Bargain' this morning.....the place was like the plague of locusts had landed and devoured everything.
Wanted some paracetamol(they used to be on prescription for himself....now we buy them)....I have not stocked up, or bought extra stuff since this drama started.....but none to be had.
The cleaning product aisle was also empty.
They were unloading some loo rolls.....and it was like a bun fight.....one woman loaded 14 packs of nine rolls into a trolley.......how very, very selfish.
She could see the black looks she was getting and probably hear the comment that were passed, but she strolled to the till and out to her car.

Aldi was bereft of fresh meat....although there were chickens and chicken fillets.
No eggs, no pasta....tinned products very limited.

Himself went to Morrisons and he said it was very similar there.

From this weekend, we are in the category of the population who are supposed to be voluntarily self isolating.....but yet there is still no solution as to how we obtain daily staples like bread, milk, vegetables....let alone any medications that might be required.
Yet these selfish people stockpile items when they are able to go out and about freely and unrestricted.
Don't they realise that they are part of the problem?
Yes, I know that is a silly question in this 'me, me, me, society'.

Ryewolf90 17-03-2020 14:16

Cooling oil is also hard to find none in Asda except very expensive olive oil, none in B&M or Aldi.

Aldi did have a good supply of toilet when I went 30 minutes ago - they were restricting things to 4 units per person.

Margaret Pilkington 17-03-2020 14:35

The expensive olive oil is not good to cook with.....it changes when heated and produces chemicals that are said to be implicated in causing cancer.
Fultons on Union street had some bottles of Crisp and Dry this morning...though how long they will last is anyone's guess.

Exile on Spencer St 17-03-2020 18:02

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1238319)
....one woman loaded 14 packs of nine rolls into a trolley.......how very, very selfish.....

Was it this woman?

Margaret Pilkington 17-03-2020 18:43

Ha-ha-ha....I like that.

I said to my husband....'I hope that when she opens them all they are misaligned...or the glue has stuck many layers together...It would serve her right.
I am not usually vindictive...but for her I made an exception.

dotti34 17-03-2020 21:10

Here in Australia some of the big supermarkets made a decision that, for one specific hour a day (7 am to 8 am), only senior citizens and disabled people would be allowed in to shop, to make it safer for them because during the day there is so much pushing and shoving, and selfish shopping.

Good idea for those who want it but unfortunately on the first day when the people got there a lot of the shelves were empty!! I think it was a bit better today – but I can’t understand why the most popular item is still toilet paper. Personally I can think of better things to do early in the morning – sleep! enjoy a cuppa!

Margaret Pilkington 17-03-2020 21:16

Iceland, Lidl and Nationwide bank have done this, but unfortunately not where we are.
I think this is a good idea...but it still means that people cannot self isolate.
This self isolation has been badly thought out...in fact I doubt that much thought was given to it at all.
It just seems that there is nothing by way of organisation to ensure those who have no one can get services. No firm measures to ensure the vulnerable are taken care of.
It is almost like they are saying we oldies are disposable, yet they are pretending it is to safeguard our health and safety.
That is my take on the situation.
In wartime at least folk got Red Cross parcels.

shillelagh 17-03-2020 22:30

1 Attachment(s)
bramwells fish stall on the market had a special offer on today :D

shillelagh 17-03-2020 22:36

3 Attachment(s)
it was quiet in town today … you could even park on warner street at 10am this morning .. normally its full of cars ..today well you can see

Hill Walker 17-03-2020 22:44

I seem to be suffering a side effect from this virus. No I don’t have the virus, just the side effect, which is memories of other ‘National Crises’ and other illness related things. Some examples:-

“Kills All Known Germs” an advertising slogan I haven’t heard for a very long time. For some reason this keeps popping into my head just like one of those songs or tunes that pop up from time to time.

Toilet Paper. The first ‘domestic task’ I was given as a small child was tearing up newspaper. This was before I was tall enough to be able to participate in the washing up and shopping tasks. The first and for several years the only place I came across ‘real’ toilet paper was school. If you needed to go you had to ask and were then indiscreetly asked 1 or 2. If it was 2 you were given one sheet and were expected to use your initiative for the rest of your requirement.

The Three Day Week. This panic buying of candles and wicks for old oil lamps. Actually for me this was not a problem, I live in a windy rural area with lots of overhead electricity wiring so the local shop had plenty as did all local residents. Also remember the petrol rationing coupons that were issued, they appeared to have been in storage somewhere since WWII.

The trigger for this memory was a brief conversation with a neighbour who was just returning from a shopping trip. I asked how successful it had been and got the obvious and expected comments about toilet rolls etc followed by the comment ’they haven’t thought it through - the condom shelf is still full’. Remember nine months after the three day week?

Hill Walker 17-03-2020 23:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1238319)
.....but yet there is still no solution as to how we obtain daily staples like bread, milk, vegetables....let alone any medications that might be required.

There was a comment on something I read earlier today that said GP's would get in touch with 'vunerable patients' to explain how to get medication. I cannot remember where this was but time will tell if its accurate.

Ryewolf90 18-03-2020 03:30

I spotted a stall on the outside market in Accrington selling 6 rolls of toilet roll for £6.99, meanwhile in Aldi two of our muslim brothers were seen trying to buy 10 packs each of 12 toilet rolls only to be told there was a limit of 4 units per person.....

Margaret Pilkington 18-03-2020 07:11

There are signs all over Aldi about the maximum purchase of items....so they obviously can't read...or think it does not apply to them

Exile on Spencer St 18-03-2020 11:53

According to a map on a website a few days ago (can’t find it now), outside of London, Hampshire, where we currently live, had/has the most confirmed Covid-19 cases in the U.K. It was about 53, which represented 0.003% of the population. In Lancashire confirmed cases equated to 0.0005% of the population.

We have been asking everyone we know whether or not they know of anyone, or know someone who knows someone who knows anyone who has been confirmed with this virus. So far it’s been zero.

Just out of interest, does anyone on here know anyone who’s been confirmed with Covid-19?
I mean actually know them, not just read about someone on their phone or computer who they don’t know.

Hill Walker 18-03-2020 12:28

For the first time in over a week I have just been to the supermarket. An almost completely surreal experience. The first thing odd thing happened when I went to get a trolly. I had just got hold of one when a man dressed like a bank robber (combat fatigues, cap, face mask etc) rushed up to me and said “that’s my trolly - I just put it there!”. As this made little sense I just stood there for a second trying to process this comment in some way. He repeated “Its my trolly - I want it back - don’t you understand!!”. I released the trolly and took one from the next row. Strange!

Inside the supermarket things were much as expected, pain killers, nappies, baby food, hand washing gels, etc, etc all stripped bare. Didn’t really expect to find tea, coffee, crisps, eggs and baked beans totally stripped bare but they were. Washing powder and similar, bleach and toilet cleaner - stripped bare, Puzzled as to why the drain cleaners and un-blockers were also stripped bare, also the air freshners. Not surprised the pasta shelves were stripped bare but puzzled as to why the equally long life rice products were untouched. Annoyingly the milk area was stripped bare - going to have to try my other supermarket as this was on my need to get list as I only had about 100ml left. Obviously the supermarket is not expecting toilet rolls anytime soon, the entire bay has been filled with Easter Eggs, this could cause some confusion. Overheard a member of staff being asked where the nappies were, the reply - “And the next joke is”.

Went to the other supermarket (smaller, same firm, different town). Milk - no problem, full shelves but restricted to 2 per customer. Actually managed to complete my list of items.

Slowly coming to the conclusion that maybe this virus like pregnancy causes strange cravings.

Margaret Pilkington 18-03-2020 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1238349)
According to a map on a website a few days ago (can’t find it now), outside of London, Hampshire, where we currently live, had/has the most confirmed Covid-19 cases in the U.K. It was about 53, which represented 0.003% of the population. In Lancashire confirmed cases equated to 0.0005% of the population.

We have been asking everyone we know whether or not they know of anyone, or know someone who knows someone who knows anyone who has been confirmed with this virus. So far it’s been zero.

Just out of interest, does anyone on here know anyone who’s been confirmed with Covid-19?
I mean actually know them, not just read about someone on their phone or computer who they don’t know.

I do not know of anyone who has been confirmed to be suffering from Covid19....but my daughter's sixteen year old son was sent home from school yesterday because he had a low grade temperature and had coughed a couple of times.
His sister was removed from her class and also sent home.
Their Dad was informed of the situation and he was told to go home and self isolate for 14 days.
He will not get sick pay from his job(he would normally get full,pay for six weeks) because he is not considered by the firm to be ill.
So financially they will be penalised.
They cannot get tested to ensure that it IS this virus and not any other viral illness,because only hospitalised patients are being tested.

I am in the coffin dodgers bracket, that is being asked to self isolate from weekend, but my intention is to go about my life normally unless I feel poorly or someone in the family is confirmed to have this virus.

Margaret Pilkington 18-03-2020 13:47

On the good side of things.
Just a few minutes ago, there was a knock at our door and a young man who lives in our street offered to shop for us if we need anything...or pick up prescriptions.....and he has done the same for the other oldies in the street.
How kind is that?
Thank you Mark and Ellie....you are stars!

dotti34 18-03-2020 19:20

The present situation is certainly bringing out the best and the worst in people, as we keep finding out.

As for the way your son-in-law is being treated by his employer, Margaret, that is awful. Surely at a time like this more consideration should be given to people's circumstances and a bit of compassion and understanding shown. If he is told to self-isolate for 14 days then it could be argued that the possibility of him being sick is there - otherwise why the isolation.

I do sincerely hope that all Tyler has is a common cold, which is bad enough given your daughter's situation. Of course more preferable is that it was just a one-day 'sniffle'.

AccyMad 18-03-2020 19:25

Would just like to put a good word in for McDonalds - they're very kindly offering free hot or cold drinks to emergency service workers, nhs workers & council employees during this current situation. Only a small thing maybe but a much appreciated gesture & I've got to say the hot chocolate I had earlier very much hit the spot, well done McD's :)

Margaret Pilkington 18-03-2020 20:16

Yes, I read that too Accymad...and it is good to hear something like that.
so yes...Very well Done to Mc Donalds.

Dorothy, it is just a small company and this crisis could see them off.
We will help them out with odds and sods .....and I am taking stuff over and leaving it on the doorstep.
Que sera, sera.

Ryewolf90 18-03-2020 20:32

When people start panic buying red wine I'll know it's the end of the world.....

Speaking of McDonalds, the one near Whalley was only doing takeaway orders, apparently not the only one. I only go in to buy a large tea when I go to watch the birds at Spring Woods picnic site near Whalley.

https://www.mcdonalds.com/gws-newsro...9_updates.html

Margaret Pilkington 18-03-2020 20:56

All McDonalds are closing their dining in areas...only selling food to be taken away.

Oops, only just read that link...sorry Ryewolf.

Margaret Pilkington 18-03-2020 20:59

Ryewolf...when I start panic buying red wine you will know it IS the end of the world...can't stand the stuff. Give me a good mug of tea.

dotti34 18-03-2020 21:05

Margaret I can understand now about the sick pay issue with your son-in-law. So many small businesses are going to be finished after this is over unless the government helps them to survive wherever possible. Small businesses are so important.

On another tack, it should be interesting today - I am going to do my normal shopping - though I doubt there will be anything normal about it. Doesn't worry me, if there is anything there I want I'll get it but otherwise it doesn't matter as I always make sure I have sufficient in the house to last me for a while. If I run out of anything then I'll make do with something else. Be interesting to see just what is left on the shelves.

Margaret Pilkington 18-03-2020 21:34

I think you might find that you will be having grilled Brillo on toast....but without the bread.
The places we visited to get basic supplies were bare this morning.
I'm not talking smoked salmon here...just eggs, milk and bread.....no tinned beans or peas, no pasta (no skin off my nose...don't much like it).
Managed to get some fresh chicken drumsticks, some minced beef(plate meat pie....and a cottage pie).
We will manage I guess.

Ryewolf90 18-03-2020 22:15

Just to let you know that the Tesco Express Accrington on Abbey St, next to The Swan/Tiger Lounge is only open between 6am and 10pm instead of midnight

dotti34 19-03-2020 05:33

My shopping expedition was sort of interesting. Yes, there were lots of empty shelves, more than a week ago, but still plenty of fruit and vegetables, breads, etc. No pasta on the shelves but that good old fruit and veg shop that was selling toilet paper last week was selling packets of the stuff. People were still out and about and enjoying coffee and cake with their friends. Maybe not as many as usual though.

Not being in the panic-buying category I only had a few items on my list and the only product I couldn’t get was washing-up detergent. My friend couldn’t get sugar.

On the way home we called in to a new Aldi shop that has just opened for a look around and there were lots of packets of sugar and a shelf full of the washing-up stuff……

The Premier of South Australia has made the most ridiculous announcement and that is that trading hours will be extended and supermarkets will be allowed to open 24 hours a day….how stupid! What’s the point of extra hours of opening if there’s nothing much on the shelves in the first place.

I often wonder how some people have got to where they have….

monkey hanger 19-03-2020 09:57

we have gone to shops we do not normally use. managed to get everything we wanted but has cost us more. wonder if other sensible non hoarders have been in the same boat.

DaveinGermany 19-03-2020 09:59

Barnier has caught it, despite his being the main argumenter for the eu & as such a thorn in the side of our choice to leave, I'd like to think he'll get through this.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...it-talks-delay

monkey hanger 19-03-2020 10:01

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1238353]..but my daughter's sixteen year old son was sent home from school yesterday because he had a low grade temperature and had coughed a couple of times.
His sister was removed from her class and also sent home.
Their Dad was informed of the situation and he was told to go home and self isolate for 14 days.

remember that other illnesses and medical conditions are still readily available.

DaveinGermany 19-03-2020 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1238372)
we have gone to shops we do not normally use. managed to get everything we wanted but has cost us more. wonder if other sensible non hoarders have been in the same boat.

Yes, the situation in Germany isn't much different, many of the shops you go to regardless of the chain it seems there are particular items that are constantly sold out. Regardless of the government, transport firms & supermarket chains constantly reiterating that there is enough for all, no problems with resupply & life goes on.

Still the selfish, antisocial & inconsiderate take the pish with no thought for anyone else but themselves, I really do hate these people & despite all the warnings & advice the Germans still don't get the principle of personal space!

Margaret Pilkington 19-03-2020 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1238373)
Barnier has caught it, despite his being the main argumenter for the eu & as such a thorn in the side of our choice to leave, I'd like to think he'll get through this.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...it-talks-delay

Son...you are just too kind.
I hope the man gets over it, but I hope it takes him four years and that his bed shakes him onto the floor every night with the rigours of illness.
And even that would be too good for him

Greeny 19-03-2020 17:58

Being in the wrong age group I am trying to follow the PM advice. Today I was in a very short queue , I stood well back from the customer in front that was being served, the customer behind me was stood well back from me , when another shopper walked straight in front of me and placed her shopping on the belt, I could not believe it, she obviously hasnt been keeping up to date.
On the other hand I called at Accrington Pharmacist at Oaklee where they are only allowing two customers in at a time and you have to stand well back from the counter , my goods where then place in a plastic crate and passed over for me to take out the box, now that is sensible , Well done Justin.

cashman 19-03-2020 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1238377)
Son...you are just too kind.
I hope the man gets over it, but I hope it takes him four years and that his bed shakes him onto the floor every night with the rigours of illness.
And even that would be too good for him

may just be a con to delay brexit, yeh never know wi that slimeball.

Margaret Pilkington 19-03-2020 18:35

Cashy, the cynical old baggage that I am....also thought that. They will do ANYTHING to try and get more money from us.
If there is no deal worked out by December 31st, then we leave on WTO rules.

I will believe he has the Wuhan Flu when I can seen him pictured in extremis....looking pale,poorly and needing oxygen.

Margaret Pilkington 19-03-2020 18:42

Greeny...I have not been anywhere where there has been a short queue for anything.
Everywhere has been MAD.
No sugar, no cooking oil, no pasta, no tinned goods.
I am also in the crumbly age bracket(but, fit, robust and healthy)....but I can't see how we can follow these instructions if we cannot get food or medicines to sustain us in our four month incarceration.
You can't stockpile four months worth of fresh milk, or eggs.
I have some stuff in my freezer, but nowhere near enough for that length of time....I have not bought into the panic buying mentality.