Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Let's Reminisce. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/lets-reminisce-71234.html)

Margaret Pilkington 28-07-2020 09:34

Let's Reminisce.

I am putting this in general chat rather than Nostalgia because:-
1) It will get more attention there.
2) Nostalgia sounds like a painful ailment...and right now there is enough misery in the world.
I am prodded into starting this thread by the reminiscences tha Taddy and I share(totally inappropriately) in another thread.
I am sure there are many of you out there thatbhave stories from your 'growing up' days....one that would make us smile...or even chuckle.

So please post your tales of mischief, fun and frolicks(as long as they are decent) here.

cashman 28-07-2020 10:24

Re: Let's Reminisce.

used to put dolly blue in broadway fountains looked very good i thought.wasnt doing any harm either,

taddy 28-07-2020 15:03

Would it be possible for the originators, compilers, processor's, or whatever the people who run and maintain Accy Web are called; to move the recent Nostalgia posts from Monkey Hanger, Myself, Margaret Pilkington , etc, to this post under reminisce? Just a thought but maybe not because as you all know I am only a luddite (but learning slowly), with this electronic wizardry.
Your's , the Luddite.

taddy 28-07-2020 15:18

Sorry I should have said "try to move" the recent Corona virus reports from Monkey Hanger, myself and Margaret Pilkington to Reminisce, (if possible). to many Hobgoblins I fear.

Margaret Pilkington 28-07-2020 15:33

The moderator has the power to do this, but it might leave the thread a bit disjointed so Taddy....you have had a very rich experiential life....tell us about your exploits.

One of ours was taking a rope up Priestley Clough.tying it to a high branch of the tree and swinging across a gorge that had water in the bottom....trying to land on the other side without getting wet.
There was always a queue....and children came from all over to join in the fun.
We were on the go from morning until night.....no chance to get fat.

Oh yes, and the catching of sticklebacks...we got into trouble for that as we were not supposed to go down to the lodge without adult supervision.....so it was early bed that night...no cookies or milk for us(was there ever?)

taddy 28-07-2020 16:26

Maybe tomorrow,a couple or three (or so) Hobgoblins is not really condusent, with trying to tax the old grey matter into remembering things from over 60/65 or more years ago.
As I tell my kids and grandkids I am not losing my memory,(yet), it is just that I have 70 plus years of memory to drag out; where as they have only between 14 (the youngest) and 50 (the oldest) to remember.

Stay Safe, Stay Happy, Enjoy your Hobgoblin. Your's, The Luddite.

Less 28-07-2020 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1242478)
Would it be possible for the originators, compilers, processor's, or whatever the people who run and maintain Accy Web are called; to move the recent Nostalgia posts from Monkey Hanger, Myself, Margaret Pilkington , etc, to this post under reminisce? Just a thought but maybe not because as you all know I am only a luddite (but learning slowly), with this electronic wizardry.
Your's , the Luddite.

Why don't you copy them from there and paste them into this thread?

That way the other thread doesn't get disjointed and you don't have to wake a mod.

cashman 28-07-2020 18:58

reckon taddy knows less than me, and thats saying summat less,were both pretty useless with technology.:D

Less 28-07-2020 19:14

A bit like this:-

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1242448)
true, but my eyes still say different. when my family moved from hartlepool{west Hartlepool in those days** just over 60 years ago now it felt like heaven moving from a real working class town that reaked of deprovation to a small mill town near halifax. some lovely old properties in terraced streets where women took pride in their steps with those stones they used then to clean em up. same in big brother halifax where my married sister lived. go back now after years of enrichers these places make slums look acceptable. going back to hartlepool now its the opposite affect than previously. do not have to give a big clue why. keighley where i now live was actually thought of as being posh with all that green and moorland between the towns. now this has been eaten up in the last few years due to extra housing required. why is all this extra housing needed. for me its to house those who,s families are now older, from different parts of the world where contraception is seen more of a dirty word than a necessity. got to finish as i have heard a siren going off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1242457)
Oh how this post took me back sixty seven years, to when my family moved from Burnley (only six or seven miles) to the village of Huncoat where I have lived ever since. Accrington council, as it was then were allocating newly built "Corporation houses" to people who were prepared to to work in Broad Meadows Colliery ,(Huncoat Pit) or the newly built Power Station.
The house that my parents were allocated was only a cock stride from the green fields and woodland that separated Huncoat from Hapton but to a young lad it was a different world, a paradise might seem too strong a word to use nowadays but that is the only way that I can describe it.
My love of animals, gardening and the countryside in general, stems from the the day in 1954 when my (true) life actually began.
Your's with a tear in my eye, Taddy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1242458)
I think many of us had those kind of experiences back in those days Taddy.
My playground was Priestley Clough.
We(my five brothers and I) would go out first thing and would not go home until it was dark or we were too hungry to carry on playing.
We fished for stickle backs in the lodge(a stocking....attached to a wire circle and put into a length of bamboo.)
We brought hedgehogs home.(full of red mites) We picked brambles and ate them right off the bush....the same with raspberries. We picked bluebells, to our Ma's horror.....would not have them in the house...did not want to cross the fairies.
We once picked a load of apples off a tree and ate them in spite of the fact that they were really,really sour.
We were all up that night with bellyache and had the runs(not good when the lav is out the back).
Taddy, we had what would now be considered impoverished up bringing...yet we were really rich in experiences and they made us the people we are today.
I would not swap my growing up years for anything.

dotti34 29-07-2020 06:48

Gosh, I wouldn’t know where to start, so many memories. I grew up in a village and looking back I’m not sure what sort of a wish we all had but it just seemed like having fun at the time – and no we were not village idiots even if we sound like we might have been, reading some of this. We liked to think we were daredevils, everything was an adventure.

If there was thunder and lightning we wouldn’t worry about running home but we would dare each other to stand under the tallest tree in the woods. When walking through fields we would choose to take the field that said ‘no trespassing’ or even ‘beware of the bull’ – with fingers crossed that the bull was tethered by the ring in its nose. Life was never boring.

We jumped across brooks – without the help of a rope, Margaret. Usually did this until someone fell in. We went robbing apple orchards where so much of the fruit got wasted – yes, those horrible green apples. Then had to eat them before we got home so that our mum’s didn’t know what we had been up to. Never thought of throwing them away. Not like they wouldn’t have guessed when we were up all night with bellyache. Even on this ‘excursion’ we would climb over back fences and walk up paths – hoping someone would see us and give chase, that was part of the ‘fun’. I was often scared witless at times but I wouldn’t let anyone know – and I suppose others felt the same.

Come to think of it we were right little *****, but did we hurt anyone, except ourselves, no! Did we ever expect anyone to do anything or everything for us, no!

dotti34 29-07-2020 06:49

My brother used to go tickling trout and then would have to hide his spoils in his towel as it was illegal to take fish from the river – don’t ask me why because whoever owned the reach of that part of the river never fished there. We went swimming and playing in that river – even though we were aware that further upstream there were probably dead cows and sheep floating in it. None of us got any dreadful disease from this.

We had conker competitions, marble championships, went train spotting – hanging over the bridges while the trains went under us. We also walked along the train tracks because wasn’t that the quickest way to get from one place to another.

We went sledging down hills when the snow came. The bigger the hill the better. At Easter time we rolled hard boiled eggs down the same hills, they cracked open like it’s a wonder our heads hadn’t when we were sledging.

…and yes, I encouraged my own children to be adventurous and to go climb trees – and they did!

taddy 29-07-2020 07:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1242487)
reckon taddy knows less than me, and thats saying summat less,were both pretty useless with technology.:D

Absolutely right Cashy.

monkey hanger 29-07-2020 07:37

being interested in sport and being quite good at it helped me no end in finding friends after a moved. in winter unless there was a school game about 10 of us used to go up to the local rec to play football. we took it in turns for 2 of us to arrive early between 8 and 8.30 to bag out goalmouth. there was a shelter to change in where you knew no one would touch your stuff or bikes for those who cycled. one morning i,ll never forget. it was snowing so what we all thought. we were there our usual 2 hours with the snow getting incresingly heavy. when we got back to the shelter we all had a shock. we looked back up the field and all the snow was green. it was actually what we thought snowing green snow. on walking back home everything including cars were one shade of green or another. do not know to this day what went wrong with us apart from my old mans explanation of it was an early stage of snow blindness. after a hour or so i was fine but it put me off green cars for life.

Margaret Pilkington 29-07-2020 07:51

Ooh Dotti....that takes me back.
Do you remember that toys had seasons?
Skipping ropes, well they were your Ma's washing line.....and ten or twelve girls would play with it....two turning up(that is what the called it back then.....and the rest of us jumping into the rope and out of the other side....or sometimes five or six of us in the middle all skipping to rhymes that were handed down from Grandma.
Five stones....or jacks...that had it's season too....as did marbles.
I cannot remember anyone ever saying ' next week it is whip and top week'....or next week the hopscotch tournament starts......yet we all knew when these games were to begin.

We also played 'knock and run'.....and we tied door handles together.....knocked on the doors and watched (giggling) while neighbours struggled to open their front doors, often having to come out of the back door to solve the situation.
Mischief it was, nothing more.....and on odd occasions the 'bobby ' would catch us....and take us home for a lecture from out parents.
Then we would find whoever was supposed to be keeping 'cavy' and give them a Chinese burn.
No drugs, no alcohol, though some of the older lads used to steal dog ends and smoke them.
Fun times indeed.

monkey hanger 29-07-2020 09:34

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1242503]
Mischief it was, nothing more.....and on odd occasions the 'bobby ' would catch us....and take us home for a lecture from out parents.

wasn,t there a dedicated mischief night that was just before bonfire night if i remember. basically it was more about mischief and the worst thing that could happen was when a rival gang{not the modern version of a gang either** would set fire to someones bonfire. conkers also had their own season for a few weeks. cannot think of any activily that was banned in the playground even with minor injuries we picked up. surprised i was never hooked on iodine for life.