Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   A month ago today. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/a-month-ago-today-71349.html)

taddy 16-10-2020 09:23

A month ago today.

I have just been reading an old article in the Daily Mail dated September 16th,2020.
Anthony Eden, British Foreign Secretary, today warned the 16-Nation consultative Assembly of the Council of Europe that Britain might become politically seperated from the Continent if nations go off on their own and form an exclusive federation in Europe.
It has taken sixty eight years but we are almost there, let Britains be British or as I always put on any forms that ask for my Ethnic Origin, I use a quote from Tony Hancocks "Hancocks half hour".
"I am Anglo Saxon with a dash of Viking".
Your's, the Luddite.

monkey hanger 16-10-2020 09:38

Re: A month ago today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1245822)
Your's, the Luddite.

thats worth kneeling to good sir.

Margaret Pilkington 16-10-2020 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1245822)
I have just been reading an old article in the Daily Mail dated September 16th,2020.
Anthony Eden, British Foreign Secretary, today warned the 16-Nation consultative Assembly of the Council of Europe that Britain might become politically seperated from the Continent if nations go off on their own and form an exclusive federation in Europe.
It has taken sixty eight years but we are almost there, let Britains be British or as I always put on any forms that ask for my Ethnic Origin, I use a quote from Tony Hancocks "Hancocks half hour".
Your's, the Luddite.

Yes, it has been a long time coming.
I will rejoice heartily when we are finally free of the shackles of the EU.

I haven't a clue whether I am Anglo Saxon...or whether I have any Viking blood(maybe I have because I can be quite fierce...or so I am told).
I never wanted to be part of Europe....I am British through and through.

taddy 16-10-2020 11:38

According to Hollywood there never were any Female Vikings, All Danes and Norwegions shown on the silver screen were male, had horns growing out of their heads and beards growing out of their chins. The only females mentioned in their saga's were the hand maidens of Odin who served mead to the fallen warriers in the Halls of Valhalla.
Who was our history teacher at Woodnook? whoever it was they certainly had me interested and still am; maybe thats why I am a Luddite

pifco 16-10-2020 11:51

I disagree Taddy there were women vikings who always seemed to wear skimpy animal hide bikinis whilst their menfolk always wore bearskins and never washed whereas the women always appeared to have bathed and then shaped their eyebrows and put on mascara and eye shadow.

Margaret Pilkington 16-10-2020 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by pifco (Post 1245836)
I disagree Taddy there were women vikings who always seemed to wear skimpy animal hide bikinis whilst their menfolk always wore bearskins and never washed whereas the women always appeared to have bathed and then shaped their eyebrows and put on mascara and eye shadow.

Oh, dearie me.... does that mean I cannot have Viking blood?
It cannot be true that there were no Viking women.....where would baby Viking
males come from?
No Taddy don't tell me....I know. I remember human biology well enough.
I would not be wearing a skimpy elk skin bikini(after all weren't the Viking lands a bit on the chilly side?)
Didn't we get 15 tog duvets from the Scandinavian countries?...yet these women were running about in skimpy fur underthings and no overthings.

Methinks it was just a Hollywood ploy to get men to put their bums on Cinema seats.
These anti-cynical pills are not doing their job today.

monkey hanger 17-10-2020 07:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1245831)
I never wanted to be part of Europe....I am British through and through.

i do not want to be another state of the USA either. that was my main fear when voting for brexit. actually if we got an even closer relationship with the yanks i may of wished i,d have voted the other way.

Margaret Pilkington 17-10-2020 08:51

I think it unlikely that we would be gobbled up by the US.

cashman 17-10-2020 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1245866)

agree not a hope in hell.

DaveinGermany 17-10-2020 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1245835)
According to Hollywood there never were any Female Vikings

Er'hem, think you've forgotten the Valkyries Tads, buxom wenches skimpily clad riding flying 'osses, who carted off the fallen warriors to the halls of "Valhalla" to quaff & debauch for all eternity (deep sigh of contentment :D)

https://www.fjordtours.com/inspirati...king-warriors/

Less 17-10-2020 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1245866)

It would be absolutely wonderful, the first thing they would do is write us off as a tax loss thus wiping out any national debt at a stroke and secondly if we have to have a weird leader rather than all the wiff waff our Boris comes out with, we could get to grips with calling that really strange leader of men Trump.