Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   something wrong. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/something-wrong-71510.html)

Less 26-08-2021 10:29

Re: something wrong.

The title of this thread is 'Something Wrong'.

Well, I can see nothing wrong with those that live, eat, breathe football posting in the threads that interest them, it is their choice.

Obviously the 'Something Wrong' is with the posts and threads started by the rest of us if they can't even generate interest amongst ourselves how can you expect others with their own interests to reply to something they aren't interested in?

taddy 26-08-2021 10:29

You did say "Cart on" Cashy, will my last post? do

cashman 26-08-2021 10:55

nowt wrong with that taddy if its summat that interests yeh.;)certain stuff if it dont interest some people they bitch about it.

dotti34 26-08-2021 11:32

Of course there is nothing wrong with people who have the same interests discussing these, exchanging views and ideas, and good on them for having such an interest. However, there are other topics that could be discussed as well, and wouldn‘t it be great for the forum if this was happening on a regular basis.

Les, the reason I put my postings on the ‘something wrong’ thread was that it seemed to be appropriate, this existing thread being on similar lines.

MH, I know where you are coming from but this is the sort of outlet where we can voice our opinions, whether they make a difference or not, it doesn’t mean we are moaning about a situation, it doesn’t have to be boring. Our opinions are important but how will we know what others think if they don’t express theirs. Even if nothing comes of it then at least we have had our say. Waste of time – I don’t think so. Good for the brain.

Margaret, you are right – without being impolite I would hazard a guess that the main contributors these days are of the older variety. However, I am sure there must be members who are of the younger set, it would be great to hear their views on current affairs from their perspective.

Taddy, if I lived near you I would buy my vegetables and fruit from you, you have so much and I am sure they are delicious (though I suspect your nose has grown quite a bit in the telling of your accomplishments as a gardener). I actually found your post very amusing and not boring at all.

Less 26-08-2021 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1256912)
Of course there is nothing wrong with people who have the same interests discussing these, exchanging views and ideas, and good on them for having such an interest. However, there are other topics that could be discussed as well, and wouldn‘t it be great for the forum if this was happening on a regular basis.

Yes, it would be great, but obviously it isn't going to happen, we are lucky, thanks to the Stanley contributors AccyWeb is still a viable concern, plenty of action going on just not in the threads YOU are interested in, if they had an interest in posting in the general forum they would be posting in it, obviously they enjoy the football, perhaps if you were to start a word game that involved free kicks, throw ins and penalties they might take an interest?

Margaret Pilkington 26-08-2021 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1256907)
The title of this thread is 'Something Wrong'.

Well, I can see nothing wrong with those that live, eat, breathe football posting in the threads that interest them, it is their choice.

Obviously the 'Something Wrong' is with the posts and threads started by the rest of us if they can't even generate interest amongst ourselves how can you expect others with their own interests to reply to something they aren't interested in?

Of course, you are right Less....and I would not presume to contribute to a football thread because I have little knowledge and even less interest.
The fact that there is nothing else on the forum is definitely down to us too.....and you know that there have been attempts to stimulate interest...you have yourself posted threads that have something other than football about them, but yet they have not gone very far.

Maybe the days of Accyweb are numbered....I do not know....but it takes interest and participation to keep it going....where is that going to come from if not from us?

Margaret Pilkington 26-08-2021 12:27

[QUOTE=taddy;1256906]
Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1250665)
I think that I may have to bore some Accy Webbers with "tales from my Allotment" or even articles about my coin collecting hobby. Yours, still the Luddite.[

Ok, here goes, I will be going onto my allotment this afternoon just to tidy up and add compost/manure where needed. It has been a good year; over half a hundred weight of three variety's of potatoes,two hundred Onions, ten pounds of Strawberries, fourteen pounds of Blackcurrants, sixty plus Apples,60 plus sticks of Rhubarb, four pounds of "shelled Peas, Three pounds of Green Beans, they are really( French) Beans but I don't like using the word, over two hundred Plum Tomatoes, Thirty Garlic bulbs and just to finish off I still have twenty Brussel Sprout plants to harvest in a couple of months.

I think thats enough to bore all Accy Webbers for a while, Stay safe, Stay happy, Your's, the Luddite.;);)

No, Taddy...that does not bore me....that you have had such a wonderful growing season and been able to ensure that your family has a plentiful supply of a variety of fresh, wholesome homegrown produce....that has added nothing to the air miles that this food stuff usually generates is to be applauded.
When does your fruit and veg stall open on the market?
We only have one stall selling this kind of stuff...it could do with some competition.

dotti34 26-08-2021 12:33

Less, that is a brilliant idea. It's bedtime over here right now but you know what - I will work on this tomorrow. Thank you for the suggestion. Might not be exactly as you suggest, and I know little about UK soccer and the players these days but I'm sure I will work something out. It might even be successful, who knows.

Less 26-08-2021 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1256916)
Less, that is a brilliant idea. It's bedtime over here right now but you know what - I will work on this tomorrow. Thank you for the suggestion. Might not be exactly as you suggest, and I know little about UK soccer and the players these days but I'm sure I will work something out. It might even be successful, who knows.

I know nowt about football either, but it must be interesting Stanley gets plenty of posts, I bet they don't have threads complaining about our lack of interest in their favourite subjects.

Margaret Pilkington 26-08-2021 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1256917)
I know nowt about football either, but it must be interesting Stanley gets plenty of posts, I bet they don't have threads complaining about our lack of interest in their favourite subjects.

Of course they have a huge following....they are an iconic club(followers all over the country and indeed the world)......so they have no need to complain about lack of interest.
So do you contribute to the Stanley threads then?
Are your comments taken seriously?
Because I can be certain that mine would not be....purely because I have nothing at all to add.

So should the general part of the forum be allowed to die?
It seems that you imply that it our own fault that there is a lack of interest....that somehow we are not posting interesting stuff.
There are relatively few contributors to the the general part of the forum....and the fewer there are, the less likely we are to come up with topics of interest.
Maybe we should just stop trying eh?

DaveinGermany 26-08-2021 17:50

[QUOTE=taddy;1256906]
Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1250665)
I think that I may have to bore some Accy Webbers with "tales from my Allotment" or even articles about my coin collecting hobby. Yours, still the Luddite.[

Ok, here goes, I will be going onto my allotment this afternoon just to tidy up and add compost/manure where needed. It has been a good year; over half a hundred weight of three variety's of potatoes,two hundred Onions, ten pounds of Strawberries, fourteen pounds of Blackcurrants, sixty plus Apples,60 plus sticks of Rhubarb, four pounds of "shelled Peas, Three pounds of Green Beans, they are really( French) Beans but I don't like using the word, over two hundred Plum Tomatoes, Thirty Garlic bulbs and just to finish off I still have twenty Brussel Sprout plants to harvest in a couple of months.

I think thats enough to bore all Accy Webbers for a while, Stay safe, Stay happy, Your's, the Luddite.;);)

Eeh, all that & you still get change from a guinea! :D

DaveinGermany 26-08-2021 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1256896)
think the problem is people have been worn down by covid, the dingy divers and afganistan. we can have our opinions, but at the end of the day there seems to be less and less we can do about the situation but moan. we are voices in the wilderness. however our voices seem to be the majority of the population but rearely we can get a look in. you would have thought corbyn had won the last election when this country is more bothered about any minority and smaller the minority the better, than its majority of citezans whose views do not count anymore. this weekend will be interesting as the greenies go on rampage with very little done about it.

Good Lord, I thought your account had been hijacked, the plaintive despair, impotent desperation & a longing for a better time all eloquently paraded for the reader ..... then these final few telling sentences followed

"its majority of citezans whose views do not count anymore.this weekend will be interesting as the greenies go on rampage with very little done about it."

And I realized all is still well in the world & this really still is our very own MH. :D long may it remain so my friend. ;)

Ryewolf90 27-08-2021 00:37

I also have no interest in football, so when I see the most recent posts are about football my internal monologue says 'Why isn't this website called Accrington Stanley Web?'

Margaret Pilkington 27-08-2021 07:27

Ryewolf...maybe it will morph into that one day...it will be when those like you and me and the others who are not football minded, stop coming and posting.
And it will be a sad day for us, but it will be alright for the football fanatics.

cashman 27-08-2021 08:23

doubt if it will ever morph into that myself, but what do i know. think myself its sad when some suggest that cos they dont like football.