Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   something wrong. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/something-wrong-71510.html)

taddy 21-02-2021 16:32

something wrong.

After the last few weeks, I have noticed that the downturn in posts on Accy Web has been very significant, what has altered ? (someone) knows the answer to this. Regards, The Luddite.

cashman 21-02-2021 17:23

Re: something wrong.

no idea taddy soz. noticed it myself.

dotti34 21-02-2021 21:17

Taddy you have just beaten me to it. I intended to write something today along the same lines as it is very concerning and disappointing to see nothing but Accrington Stanley threads. I am not belittling these as I know Stanley is of great importance to many people on Accyweb - and of much interest, but surely there are plenty of members who have lots of other subjects to comment about as well.

Where are the debaters that used to fill Accy Web pages, and the ones who made interesting comments about day-to-day happenings? Apparently there are a LOT of members - and more keep joining.

I would have thought with the lockdown restrictions people would be looking for an outlet for a good old 'chat'.

taddy 23-02-2021 10:20

I think that I may have to bore some Accy Webbers with "tales from my Allotment" or even articles about my coin collecting hobby. Yours, still the Luddite.

cashman 23-02-2021 10:27

cart on taddy sod all wrong wi that.

monkey hanger 23-02-2021 10:54

funny how that something the majority of us own that never gets mentioned anymore anywhere, cars and motoring. cars to avoid, buying suggestions, next must have overpriced collectors/classic car.

DaveinGermany 23-02-2021 16:52

Think it may be to do with limited topics, lets face it, it seems the only thing happening in the world right now is MeMe & softlad or covid, you get pretty fed up of them both rather quickly. ;)

cashman 23-02-2021 17:31

possible is that dave.

monkey hanger 24-02-2021 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1250685)
Think it may be to do with limited topics, lets face it, it seems the only thing happening in the world right now is MeMe & softlad or covid, you get pretty fed up of them both rather quickly. ;)

everything at the moment is repetition and even listening to the news is a bit like, well i heard that yesterday. even when you discuss whats going on at the moment you end up repeating yourself which is something i hate doing and imagine others hate reading it even more.

taddy 24-02-2021 11:45

[QUOTE=DaveinGermany;1250685]Think it may be to do with limited topics, lets face it, it seems the only thing happening in the world right now is MeMe & softlad or covid, you get pretty fed up of them both rather quickly.

The MeMe & soft lad comment really tickled me, Keep it up Dave.

monkey hanger 27-02-2021 08:50

again, where is margaret pilkington. anyone know if she is alright or not. never met the lass but feel i know her after the years on here.

taddy 27-02-2021 08:59

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1250857]again, where is margaret pilkington. anyone know if she is alright or not. never met the lass but feel i know her after the years on here.

Me too M.H. Margaret and I were in the same class at Woodnook Schoool in Accrington 60 years ago plus as you say we have talked for years on Accy Web,I have received a private message from her and other members to say that she is fine; I hope that she sees that you and I are a little concerned.
Regards, Taddy.

cashman 27-02-2021 09:11

sure most people on here have been concerned she has certainly been missed.

Margaret Pilkington 27-02-2021 10:59

First of all let me say that I am touched by your concern and the PM's I have had asking if I am alright.
Please let me assure you that I am as fit as I have ever been, and I know that some of you know that I have a daughter who does not have the best of health...and may be worried that something is amiss there.
She and her family are all OK.
The simple answer is that lately there has been very little on here that is worth a comment.
I do not understand football or Accrington Stanley...though I know that it has a great following on here.
So I am taking myself off the forum until I have something worth saying.
There is nothing more to it than that.
I have only posted this because Dorothy in south australia alerted me to your general concerns.
So Ta-ta for now.
M x

taddy 27-02-2021 12:22

O/K Marge, Over and Out.

ferret man 27-02-2021 12:49

A bit of good news for a change.

monkey hanger 28-02-2021 09:33

do not worry about not understanding football or accrington stanley. there are many who attend games at the wham and everywhere across the country in the same boat as you. at least you admit it.

dotti34 28-02-2021 11:14

The very fact that so many people have missed Margaret and have been concerned regarding her absence, shows that she is a very important member and contributor to the forum. Her knowledgeable expertise and intelligent ‘conversations’ have helped make numerous threads extremely interesting – albeit sometimes controversial, but isn’t that what forums are about, encouraging people to voice their opinions.

Having said that, I understand where Margaret is coming from because, let’s face it, for a while now not many topics of general interest have been discussed and debated. So here’s hoping that members will soon start discussing more than football and the corona virus and let’s hope that Margaret’s hiatus is only a short one. Until she comes back Margaret will continue to be very much missed.

Margaret Pilkington 28-02-2021 13:48

Dorothy, you say the kindest things. Thank you
I truly believe that the forum is bigger than any one member...that we all have a part in it and those parts are equal.

shillelagh 09-03-2021 20:54

ive been ill and in hospital and out and back in and escaped and ive been rotten .. still not right now ... and ive got an addition to my person .. a titanium plate stuck in upper cheek ... a fractured eye socket thats why ive not been around .. .hopefully i will find out tomorrow about the sling .. when that will come off ..

taddy 10-03-2021 10:06

Sorry to hear that Shillelagh,glad that you are on the mend; all the best for the future, Regards, Taddy.

cashman 10-03-2021 12:20

take care jen best wishes x

DaveinGermany 10-03-2021 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 1251391)
and ive got an addition to my person .. a titanium plate stuck in upper cheek ... a fractured eye socket thats why ive not been around .. .hopefully i will find out tomorrow about the sling .. when that will come off ..

You & Spuggy really need to give up the cagefight datenights Jen! :D ;)

shillelagh 11-03-2021 18:08

i scared the spugster Dave .. i got my brother to take me to a & e ... expecting id be home later .. and they kept me .. wouldnt let me back out .. think they only let me out because it was saturday night and they could do with the bed ... also because my eye wasnt going down as fast as what they thought it would do .. they couldnt do the op so i had to go back a week later .. they said for day surgery ... and they kept me in again overnight had a job finding me a bed in a ward without covid 19 .. but they did .. i was in with the pensioners .. one of them was a rovers supporter as well!!!! i made her and her son laugh when i was defending burnley ...

cashman 11-03-2021 19:28

thats easy to make em laugh jen defending burnley lol

dotti34 12-03-2021 19:07

shillelagh, I am so sorry to hear you have had so many health issues. Here's hoping that things improve greatly and quick. You are a very brave woman, keep up that fighting spirit. Sending best wishes to you from South Australia.

dotti34 26-08-2021 00:53

A while ago I used to make my early morning coffee and sit by my computer, opening up Accy Web and relaxing with a good read to start the day, joining in when I had something to say. Great debates, lots of interesting stuff. Sharing ideas. A platform to discuss issues with a wider circle of people than we would normally meet in our everyday lives. A true forum. What do I open up to these days – no need to answer that.

Where is everyone? Is football the one-and only interest that so many have. Even the subject of COVID is no longer discussed. Lots of things going on in the world but lately the main contributors to this site only seem to have space for the round ball in their lives and in their discussions, almost to the point that nothing else seems to matter.

If the last comment stirs up some indignant responses well Hallelujah! – I make no apology because this posting will not have been in vain.

monkey hanger 26-08-2021 08:16

think the problem is people have been worn down by covid, the dingy divers and afganistan. we can have our opinions, but at the end of the day there seems to be less and less we can do about the situation but moan. we are voices in the wilderness. however our voices seem to be the majority of the population but rearely we can get a look in. you would have thought corbyn had won the last election when this country is more bothered about any minority and smaller the minority the better, than its majority of citezans whose views do not count anymore. this weekend will be interesting as the greenies go on rampage with very little done about it.

Margaret Pilkington 26-08-2021 09:48

You cannot be indignant about the truth Dorothy.
The truth is that there seems to be no stomach for discussion....well unless it is about football.
MH....since when did it matter who was listening or not listening to the man in the street...oh yes and the woman too.
Forums like this have been a valuable community sounding board, but this does not appear to have much interest for those below pension age.
The younger folk are more into other platforms....twitter, instagram, WhatsApp and it is very unlikely that Accyweb has anything that draws them to it.
Another thing is that people are increasingly wary of saying the wrong thing.....the world has become a very strange place....well, no not the world but the people in it.
There are those who could take offence at Jack and Jill going up the hill....they’d be telling us that this rhyme was sexist, colonialist, not green or some other such nonsense.

I am really quite glad to be at the tail end of a very happy and productive life.....but can see nothing like a ‘future’ for those who come after us.

taddy 26-08-2021 10:24

[QUOTE=taddy;1250665]I think that I may have to bore some Accy Webbers with "tales from my Allotment" or even articles about my coin collecting hobby. Yours, still the Luddite.[

Ok, here goes, I will be going onto my allotment this afternoon just to tidy up and add compost/manure where needed. It has been a good year; over half a hundred weight of three variety's of potatoes,two hundred Onions, ten pounds of Strawberries, fourteen pounds of Blackcurrants, sixty plus Apples,60 plus sticks of Rhubarb, four pounds of "shelled Peas, Three pounds of Green Beans, they are really( French) Beans but I don't like using the word, over two hundred Plum Tomatoes, Thirty Garlic bulbs and just to finish off I still have twenty Brussel Sprout plants to harvest in a couple of months.

I think thats enough to bore all Accy Webbers for a while, Stay safe, Stay happy, Your's, the Luddite.;);)

Less 26-08-2021 10:29

The title of this thread is 'Something Wrong'.

Well, I can see nothing wrong with those that live, eat, breathe football posting in the threads that interest them, it is their choice.

Obviously the 'Something Wrong' is with the posts and threads started by the rest of us if they can't even generate interest amongst ourselves how can you expect others with their own interests to reply to something they aren't interested in?

taddy 26-08-2021 10:29

You did say "Cart on" Cashy, will my last post? do

cashman 26-08-2021 10:55

nowt wrong with that taddy if its summat that interests yeh.;)certain stuff if it dont interest some people they bitch about it.

dotti34 26-08-2021 11:32

Of course there is nothing wrong with people who have the same interests discussing these, exchanging views and ideas, and good on them for having such an interest. However, there are other topics that could be discussed as well, and wouldn‘t it be great for the forum if this was happening on a regular basis.

Les, the reason I put my postings on the ‘something wrong’ thread was that it seemed to be appropriate, this existing thread being on similar lines.

MH, I know where you are coming from but this is the sort of outlet where we can voice our opinions, whether they make a difference or not, it doesn’t mean we are moaning about a situation, it doesn’t have to be boring. Our opinions are important but how will we know what others think if they don’t express theirs. Even if nothing comes of it then at least we have had our say. Waste of time – I don’t think so. Good for the brain.

Margaret, you are right – without being impolite I would hazard a guess that the main contributors these days are of the older variety. However, I am sure there must be members who are of the younger set, it would be great to hear their views on current affairs from their perspective.

Taddy, if I lived near you I would buy my vegetables and fruit from you, you have so much and I am sure they are delicious (though I suspect your nose has grown quite a bit in the telling of your accomplishments as a gardener). I actually found your post very amusing and not boring at all.

Less 26-08-2021 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1256912)
Of course there is nothing wrong with people who have the same interests discussing these, exchanging views and ideas, and good on them for having such an interest. However, there are other topics that could be discussed as well, and wouldn‘t it be great for the forum if this was happening on a regular basis.

Yes, it would be great, but obviously it isn't going to happen, we are lucky, thanks to the Stanley contributors AccyWeb is still a viable concern, plenty of action going on just not in the threads YOU are interested in, if they had an interest in posting in the general forum they would be posting in it, obviously they enjoy the football, perhaps if you were to start a word game that involved free kicks, throw ins and penalties they might take an interest?

Margaret Pilkington 26-08-2021 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1256907)
The title of this thread is 'Something Wrong'.

Well, I can see nothing wrong with those that live, eat, breathe football posting in the threads that interest them, it is their choice.

Obviously the 'Something Wrong' is with the posts and threads started by the rest of us if they can't even generate interest amongst ourselves how can you expect others with their own interests to reply to something they aren't interested in?

Of course, you are right Less....and I would not presume to contribute to a football thread because I have little knowledge and even less interest.
The fact that there is nothing else on the forum is definitely down to us too.....and you know that there have been attempts to stimulate interest...you have yourself posted threads that have something other than football about them, but yet they have not gone very far.

Maybe the days of Accyweb are numbered....I do not know....but it takes interest and participation to keep it going....where is that going to come from if not from us?

Margaret Pilkington 26-08-2021 12:27

[QUOTE=taddy;1256906]
Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1250665)
I think that I may have to bore some Accy Webbers with "tales from my Allotment" or even articles about my coin collecting hobby. Yours, still the Luddite.[

Ok, here goes, I will be going onto my allotment this afternoon just to tidy up and add compost/manure where needed. It has been a good year; over half a hundred weight of three variety's of potatoes,two hundred Onions, ten pounds of Strawberries, fourteen pounds of Blackcurrants, sixty plus Apples,60 plus sticks of Rhubarb, four pounds of "shelled Peas, Three pounds of Green Beans, they are really( French) Beans but I don't like using the word, over two hundred Plum Tomatoes, Thirty Garlic bulbs and just to finish off I still have twenty Brussel Sprout plants to harvest in a couple of months.

I think thats enough to bore all Accy Webbers for a while, Stay safe, Stay happy, Your's, the Luddite.;);)

No, Taddy...that does not bore me....that you have had such a wonderful growing season and been able to ensure that your family has a plentiful supply of a variety of fresh, wholesome homegrown produce....that has added nothing to the air miles that this food stuff usually generates is to be applauded.
When does your fruit and veg stall open on the market?
We only have one stall selling this kind of stuff...it could do with some competition.

dotti34 26-08-2021 12:33

Less, that is a brilliant idea. It's bedtime over here right now but you know what - I will work on this tomorrow. Thank you for the suggestion. Might not be exactly as you suggest, and I know little about UK soccer and the players these days but I'm sure I will work something out. It might even be successful, who knows.

Less 26-08-2021 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1256916)
Less, that is a brilliant idea. It's bedtime over here right now but you know what - I will work on this tomorrow. Thank you for the suggestion. Might not be exactly as you suggest, and I know little about UK soccer and the players these days but I'm sure I will work something out. It might even be successful, who knows.

I know nowt about football either, but it must be interesting Stanley gets plenty of posts, I bet they don't have threads complaining about our lack of interest in their favourite subjects.

Margaret Pilkington 26-08-2021 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1256917)
I know nowt about football either, but it must be interesting Stanley gets plenty of posts, I bet they don't have threads complaining about our lack of interest in their favourite subjects.

Of course they have a huge following....they are an iconic club(followers all over the country and indeed the world)......so they have no need to complain about lack of interest.
So do you contribute to the Stanley threads then?
Are your comments taken seriously?
Because I can be certain that mine would not be....purely because I have nothing at all to add.

So should the general part of the forum be allowed to die?
It seems that you imply that it our own fault that there is a lack of interest....that somehow we are not posting interesting stuff.
There are relatively few contributors to the the general part of the forum....and the fewer there are, the less likely we are to come up with topics of interest.
Maybe we should just stop trying eh?

DaveinGermany 26-08-2021 17:50

[QUOTE=taddy;1256906]
Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1250665)
I think that I may have to bore some Accy Webbers with "tales from my Allotment" or even articles about my coin collecting hobby. Yours, still the Luddite.[

Eeh, all that & you still get change from a guinea! :D

DaveinGermany 26-08-2021 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1256896)
think the problem is people have been worn down by covid, the dingy divers and afganistan. we can have our opinions, but at the end of the day there seems to be less and less we can do about the situation but moan. we are voices in the wilderness. however our voices seem to be the majority of the population but rearely we can get a look in. you would have thought corbyn had won the last election when this country is more bothered about any minority and smaller the minority the better, than its majority of citezans whose views do not count anymore. this weekend will be interesting as the greenies go on rampage with very little done about it.

Good Lord, I thought your account had been hijacked, the plaintive despair, impotent desperation & a longing for a better time all eloquently paraded for the reader ..... then these final few telling sentences followed

"its majority of citezans whose views do not count anymore.this weekend will be interesting as the greenies go on rampage with very little done about it."

And I realized all is still well in the world & this really still is our very own MH. :D long may it remain so my friend. ;)

Ryewolf90 27-08-2021 00:37

I also have no interest in football, so when I see the most recent posts are about football my internal monologue says 'Why isn't this website called Accrington Stanley Web?'

Margaret Pilkington 27-08-2021 07:27

Ryewolf...maybe it will morph into that one day...it will be when those like you and me and the others who are not football minded, stop coming and posting.
And it will be a sad day for us, but it will be alright for the football fanatics.

cashman 27-08-2021 08:23

doubt if it will ever morph into that myself, but what do i know. think myself its sad when some suggest that cos they dont like football.

Margaret Pilkington 27-08-2021 09:48

Cashy, it is not that I don’t like football...I just don’t understand it...at all....and I do not have a mind to understand it either.
And please do not feel that I am as you put it ‘sad’ for suggesting that this is just because I do not like football....I am not a fan of any sport.
But I respect those who do like it and do understand it...their enjoyment of it takes nothing away from me....but the people who comment on the football side must have other interests and opinions as well....and it would make for an interesting forum if they occasionally posted onto some other parts of Accyweb.

You could say that I could do the same on the Football part...but....really?
I have nothing at all to contribute because I know only a few things about football....and none of them would stimulate any kind of discussion.

When all there is to read on here is football, then it makes me feel like I am not welcome....and yes...I know that my feelings are not the concern of anyone on here.
Attempts have been made by various people to get some other interesting posts going and they go down like a brick budgie.....and if we do not participate in threads then the forum will disappear...or be devoted to just Stanley....and as laudable as that might be for the Stanley fans,it would be a loss to the rest of us.

taddy 27-08-2021 10:50

[

Taddy, if I lived near you I would buy my vegetables and fruit from you, you have so much and I am sure they are delicious (though I suspect your nose has grown quite a bit in the telling of your accomplishments as a gardener). I actually found your post very amusing and not boring at all.

Dotti, Every year I weigh all the produce that I grow on my allotment,the name is Taddy not Pinnockio, (Yes I know that is not spelt right), the figures that I quoted are entirely accurate but I will not take offence. I was a fisherman for many years until age caught up with me and I could no longer carry all my fishing gear, the tales I used to tell about the monsters that I removed from rivers and lakes are legendary in my local boozer, yes my nose probably grew an inch or two after three or four pints of real ale but that is part and parcel of being an angler. Stay safe, Keep posting, Taddy.

taddy 27-08-2021 11:07

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1256915][QUOTE=taddy;1256906]

No, Taddy...that does not bore me....that you have had such a wonderful growing season and been able to ensure that your family has a plentiful supply of a variety of fresh, wholesome homegrown produce....that has added nothing to the air miles that this food stuff usually generates is to be applauded.
We only have one stall selling this kind of stuff...it could do with some competition.

Thanks for that Marge, Before I got my allotment in 2017 we owned one freezer as I suppose the majority of families do, please don't think that I am blowing my own Trumpet but after turning what was once an overgrown, weed infested patch of land into a productive fruit and Vegetable garden we had to buy another freezer in 2019 so that Mrs Taddy, (Hazel), could freeze the produce for later use in the making of pies, chutneys, Jams etc.

As always, stay happy, Stay safe, Taddy,

monkey hanger 27-08-2021 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1256970)
Cashy, it is not that I don’t like football...I just don’t understand it...at all....and I do not have a mind to understand it either.
And please do not feel that I am as you put it ‘sad’ for suggesting that this is just because I do not like football....I am not a fan of any sport.
But I respect those who do like it and do understand it...their enjoyment of it takes nothing away from me....but the people who comment on the football side must have other interests and opinions as well....and it would make for an interesting forum if they occasionally posted onto some other parts of Accyweb.

You could say that I could do the same on the Football part...but....really?
I have nothing at all to contribute because I know only a few things about football....and none of them would stimulate any kind of discussion.

When all there is to read on here is football, then it makes me feel like I am not welcome....and yes...I know that my feelings are not the concern of anyone on here.
Attempts have been made by various people to get some other interesting posts going and they go down like a brick budgie.....and if we do not participate in threads then the forum will disappear...or be devoted to just Stanley....and as laudable as that might be for the Stanley fans,it would be a loss to the rest of us.

actually at times i wish i did,t like football. for the heatache it caused me when i was young to the thousands of pounds wasted on watching it to get the occasional unforgettable game and moments. my mother and sister were both like you which annoyed my old man. they never realised they were a bit better off than the rest of the street through his efforts on the pitch. if he had been a joiner i doubt they,d have less an interest in his job for that what is was a job.

Margaret Pilkington 27-08-2021 12:00

[QUOTE=taddy;1256989][QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1256915]
Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1256906)

Thanks for that Marge, Before I got my allotment in 2017 we owned one freezer as I suppose the majority of families do, please don't think that I am blowing my own Trumpet but after turning what was once an overgrown, weed infested patch of land into a productive fruit and Vegetable garden we had to buy another freezer in 2019 so that Mrs Taddy, (Hazel), could freeze the produce for later use in the making of pies, chutneys, Jams etc.

As always, stay happy, Stay safe, Taddy,

Taddy you are entitled to blow your own trumpet...because you have worked hard to transform the allotment...but it has also meant that you get the pleasure from not only seeing the fruits of your labour, but knowing that your food is vitamin packed and will go into making your meals not just tasty, but economical too.

I am one of those unfortunate people who cannot grow anything(well, other than old and awkward)...I can kill the most robust of plants....I either drown them or desiccate them.....I am not fit for anything green.

cashman 27-08-2021 12:10

yer not alone margaret both of us can ruin anything.

Margaret Pilkington 27-08-2021 14:24

Never mind Cashy..we both have skills in other directions...it is not good for us all to dab hands at the same thing.

DaveinGermany 27-08-2021 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1256993)
....I am not fit for anything green.

Although I say it myself, I'm outstanding at weeds, some even have colourful flowers! :D

cashman 27-08-2021 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1257002)
Never mind Cashy..we both have skills in other directions...it is not good for us all to dab hands at the same thing.

i suppose so if yeh can remember what yer a dab hand at i cant.:D

Margaret Pilkington 27-08-2021 21:14

Son...I can wither a plant by just looking at it...strangely this tactic appears not to be so successful on weeds!

Margaret Pilkington 27-08-2021 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1257030)
i suppose so if yeh can remember what yer a dab hand at i cant.:D

Well, I have a few things I think I am a dab hand at....and most of the time my memory is not so dusty either...can’t say that about The sideboard.

taddy 28-08-2021 07:46

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1256970]Cashy, it is not that I don’t like football...I just don’t understand it...at all....and I do not have a mind to understand it either.

Nothing to understand Marge, it's just twenty two over paid Prima Donna's kicking a bag of wind around a field.;);)

taddy 28-08-2021 08:01

One for Dotti, after post 41 add two pounds of Blackberries that I picked yesterday. Mrs Taddy washed and froze them whithin a hour of me picking them, it don't get much fresher than that. The Goblin loving Gardener.

DaveinGermany 28-08-2021 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1257047)
The Goblin loving Gardener.

Yeah, you might want to rephrase that last comment Tads. :D

Margaret Pilkington 28-08-2021 12:15

No he doesn’t Son....that post made me nearly cry with laughing....I have a very vivid pictorial imagination.....are there female goblins I ask myself?

Margaret Pilkington 28-08-2021 12:16

[QUOTE=taddy;1257043]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1256970)

Nothing to understand Marge, it's just twenty two over paid Prima Donna's kicking a bag of wind around a field.;);)

Taddy that is the sum total of my knowledge of this game....so as you can see it would never provoke any kind of stimulating discussion.

DaveinGermany 28-08-2021 16:02

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1257065)
....are there female goblins I ask myself?

Most serpently! And I know which one I'd prefer ..... definitely the green one. :D

Less 28-08-2021 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1257095)
Most serpently! And I know which one I'd prefer ..... definitely the green one. :D

:confused:
Aren't they both green?

Only one for me would be the one that doesn't try to talk with her mouth full!

DaveinGermany 28-08-2021 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1257103)
Aren't they both green?

Well there is that, but one professess to being Green, while the other is a being of the colour green, I'm with the being of green on this one. ;)

Less 28-08-2021 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1257104)
Well there is that, but one professess to being Green, while the other is a being of the colour green, I'm with the being of green on this one. ;)

Yes. preferable to the one that would talk with her mouth full and head empty.

Margaret Pilkington 28-08-2021 19:27

Both of those pictures would keep the kids away from the fire.

dotti34 29-08-2021 05:51

Taddy, you are a tease. My mouth is watering at the thought of that fresh fruit and vegetables. Not like the stuff in the shops here – vegetables fed with whatever to make them grow big and fast but leaving the flavour behind. Stored for months in cold rooms before appearing on the supermarket shelves.

I am envious of your ability to grow these delights. I can’t say this posting is from one gardener to another as the only time I would have a green thumb is if I dipped in into a pot of paint. It took me nine years to grow mint, planting often– and then when I finally had success and it was doing well it took me 2 years to destroy it.

monkey hanger 29-08-2021 08:38

[QUOTE=dotti34;1257113]Taddy, you are a tease. My mouth is watering at the thought of that fresh fruit and vegetables. Not like the stuff in the shops here – vegetables fed with whatever to make them grow big and fast but leaving the flavour behind. Stored for months in cold rooms before appearing on the supermarket shelves.

well its funny how these smaller vegetables we buy from the allotments{please do not tell the local council** and the apples, raspberries and blackberries we pick growing wild taste better than their larger supermarket brethran do.

monkey hanger 29-08-2021 09:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1257095)

well at least the second one seems to know where the make up department is.

DaveinGermany 29-08-2021 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1257124)
well at least the second one seems to know where the make up department is.

Not just make up mate, she actually knows where the chuckle muscles are unlike the grumpy little goblin troll on the left. :D

Margaret Pilkington 29-08-2021 09:39

You couldn’t make the first one look nice....you can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.
It might make a difference if the Lass broke into a smile now and then...but all she seems to do is scowl......she is two scoops of grumpy with snot topping!

Margaret Pilkington 29-08-2021 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1257129)
Not just make up mate, she actually knows where the chuckle muscles are unlike the grumpy little goblin troll on the left. :D

Snap Son...snap!

taddy 29-08-2021 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1257113)
Taddy, you are a tease. My mouth is watering at the thought of that fresh fruit and vegetables. Not like the stuff in the shops here – vegetables fed with whatever to make them grow big and fast but leaving the flavour behind. Stored for months in cold rooms before appearing on the supermarket shelves.

I am envious of your ability to grow these delights. I can’t say this posting is from one gardener to another as the only time I would have a green thumb is if I dipped in into a pot of paint. It took me nine years to grow mint, planting often– and then when I finally had success and it was doing well it took me 2 years to destroy it.

Just to tease you a bit more, I forgot to mention that I also Have a bed of mint that I harvest and hang in my garage untill completly dry then strip the leaves off and put them in a chopper upperer and bottle/jar them so I can spinkle them on boiled/mashed tatties. Mrs Taddy can't stand the taste of mint though, (neer mind, more for me).

Margaret Pilkington 29-08-2021 19:00

I said that I could not grow anything...but I forgot...someone bought me a Kolanchoe plant(I only know that it is called that because it had a label on it telling me that was what it was) for Christmas.
i commented that I thought it might just make it into the New Year.
Guess what...It is still with me....no flowers on it now...and it has almost died three times(for lack of water)....but if it carries on, it might see its first birthday.

dotti34 30-08-2021 05:20

Taddy, I did have success with parsley some years ago. I planted this one year and over the following years parsley grew and grew everywhere until I felt like I lived in Parsley Palace. It came up in places I wanted it and places I didn’t. Different varieties as well. I had a garden bed that it was supposed to stay in but it travelled. I gave so much away, but the more I took the more it grew. I did what you did with the mint, I dried it – found that this was done very successfully in oven and microwave. Then one year it had all gone never to return. Disappeared. My husband said I had done something to it – but I don’t know what. Maybe I had pulled too much up from the roots. I don’t know. Anyway that was the end of that success story.

taddy 30-08-2021 08:09

[QUOTE=DaveinGermany;1257129]Not just make up mate, she actually knows where the chuckle muscles are unlike the grumpy little goblin troll on the left.

Eh, there's nowt wrong wy Goblins, especially the male ferret type ones; for the uninitiated a male ferret is known as a Hob, I have one at my feet as I type this and I am not refering to the bottled type. He name is Frodo, I also have a Jill ferret known as Freya, My daughter christened them not me by the way.
Stay Happy, Stay safe, the Luddite.

monkey hanger 30-08-2021 08:36

honestly dotti why did you bother with parsley. that along with water cress seem two of the most pointless plants we have around. at least taddies mint has a good smell to it even though you might not like it. suppose its each to their own as i do not eat lamb but have mint sauce on other stuff.

cashman 30-08-2021 12:34

i have never been able to stand mint sauce the smell makes me want to puke.

DaveinGermany 30-08-2021 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1257171)
for the uninitiated a male ferret is known as a Hob, I have one at my feet as I type this

So it escaped the confines of your trousers then? Do you do turns down the local Boozer ......

"Roll up, Roll up Folks!! Witness Mr.Tadstastic juggling live fiesty Frets down his pants while necking a Goblin!!!!"

Bet you go down a storm, are you the main act or just the warm up? :D

taddy 31-08-2021 10:13

[QUOTE=DaveinGermany;1257190]So it escaped the confines of your trousers then? Do you do turns down the local Boozer ......

"Roll up, Roll up Folks!! Witness Mr.Tadstastic juggling live fiesty Frets down his pants while necking a Goblin!!!!"

Bet you go down a storm, are you the main act or just the warm up?

Yes I do take them down to my local, the first time I did it the young lass behind the bar recoiled in horror; "Ooh those things bite don't they", she almost screamed but after watching some of the children that I allow to stroke the little Polecat Female, things began to improve with mothers asking for photographs of their tots playing with the ferrets; Until, (someone?) complained to the council and the Lass who owns the pub had to say "I am sorry but I shall have to ask you not to bring them in any more, the Hygiene people are threatening to remove my licence". Thats ok I replied its not your fault but I can still sit in the beer garden with them, so all is not lost.
Happy days still to come.

dotti34 01-09-2021 05:40

Monkey Hanger, anything at all that grows through my endeavours is much appreciated, except those weeds which I am a dab hand at producing. My husband was a good gardener both with vegetables and flowers. However, a miniature rose bush that he planted some years ago took off and is now much taller than me! No-one believes me when I tell them what it is, and it never flowers to prove I am telling the truth.

Here’s something for you to think about. My husband had a Happy Plant that was healthy and needed little maintenance. A couple of days after my husband passed away the Happy Plant died – just like that.

dotti34 01-09-2021 05:42

Taddy, we had a ferret at one time. She (Sally) lived with us for about 6 months. We used to bring her out of her cage and let her run around the lounge-room. Not exactly the most loveable of animals but quite cute. However, we decided she must be lonely and so gave her to a man who had a sort of ferret farm where she could have her pick of boyfriends. Hope that made her happy.

taddy 04-09-2021 08:22

[QUOTE=dotti34;1257259]Taddy, we had a ferret at one time. She (Sally) lived with us for about 6 months. We used to bring her out of her cage and let her run around the lounge-room. Not exactly the most loveable of animals but quite cute.
Depends what you class as "CUTE", Freya, the little Polecat Jill loves nothing better than to curl up on my shoulder and fall asleep whilst I am watching T.V. it causes a little friction sometimes if we have folk visiting but then again if they don't like it I tell them that they are free to leave at any time.:D:D

DaveinGermany 04-09-2021 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1257370)
Depends what you class as "CUTE", Freya, the little Polecat Jill loves nothing better than to curl up on my shoulder and fall asleep whilst I am watching T.V. it causes a little friction sometimes

Love me, love my Fretling! I suppose you've got a flat cap & a whippet somewhere too? :D

taddy 05-09-2021 08:50

[QUOTE=DaveinGermany;1257371]Love me, love my Fretling! I suppose you've got a flat cap & a whippet somewhere too?

Never owned a whippet Dave but I did used to make my own purse nets and gate nets and spent many hours on the fells around Clitheroe with my little Jack Russel, twelve bore shotgun and ferrets during winter time, Me and Mrs taddy fed our two oldest youngsters on rabbit pies, Hare stews and the like. Nowadays I struggle to kill anything, flies and bluebottles being the only things I now class as fair game whilst armed with just a fly swotter. Never owned a flatcap but was renowned for always wearing a Deerstalker.

DaveinGermany 05-09-2021 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1257410)
Jack Russel, twelve bore shotgun and ferrets during winter time, Me and Mrs taddy fed our two oldest youngsters on rabbit pies, Hare stews and the like.

Did the 12 bore & 410 when younger (13-14ish we started), Dad would take my younger brother & me out over the local farms, we'd take down what we needed & a couple for the farmer, if I'd had a loaded finger I think we'd probably have had more. :)

You can add pheasant, partridge & pigeon to that list of yours, only problem being, tasty as the game pie was, you had to bite very carefully or some dental work would be due for the incautious.

shillelagh 24-09-2021 00:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1257138)
Just to tease you a bit more, I forgot to mention that I also Have a bed of mint that I harvest and hang in my garage untill completly dry then strip the leaves off and put them in a chopper upperer and bottle/jar them so I can spinkle them on boiled/mashed tatties. Mrs Taddy can't stand the taste of mint though, (neer mind, more for me).

taddy if your wonderful allotment is not taxing you enough ... my garden has been totally ignored this year .. the only thing that has been done is ive mowed it .. due to not being able to .. if you want to do some weeding ... :D

taddy 24-09-2021 09:39

Thanks for the invite Shillelagh but I will have to pass on that one as I am still busy with my own allotment, earlier this week I picked four pounds of damsons, my first crop from a tree I planted as a two year old five years ago, Mrs Taddy has turned them into Damson jam along with the Blackcurrant and Strawberry jams that she made earlier in the year. (yes I am getting spoiled) but I love it.

DaveinGermany 24-09-2021 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1257906)
Mrs Taddy has turned them into Damson jam along with the Blackcurrant and Strawberry jams that she made earlier in the year.

Can't get better than homemade jams & preserves, you're a lucky fella seeing as your Missus still does traditional things. :)

taddy 25-09-2021 09:25

[QUOTE=DaveinGermany;1257912]Can't get better than homemade jams & preserves, you're a lucky fella seeing as your Missus still does traditional things.

I am with you 100% on that Dave, she has been looking after me for the last 68 years (we have been married for 64 of them); we were as they say "childhood sweethearts", Hazel was 14 and I was 16 when we met in 1963.

cashman 25-09-2021 09:52

[QUOTE=taddy;1257947]
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1257912)
Can't get better than homemade jams & preserves, you're a lucky fella seeing as your Missus still does traditional things.

I am with you 100% on that Dave, she has been looking after me for the last 68 years (we have been married for 64 of them); we were as they say "childhood sweethearts", Hazel was 14 and I was 16 when we met in 1963.

well do yeh think it will last then taddy?:D

DaveinGermany 25-09-2021 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1257947)
"childhood sweethearts", Hazel was 14 and I was 16 when we met in 1963.

I wasn't even a twinkle in the eye, let alone born all those long years ago! :D

Margaret Pilkington 25-09-2021 19:17

[QUOTE=taddy;1257947]
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1257912)
Can't get better than homemade jams & preserves, you're a lucky fella seeing as your Missus still does traditional things.

Are you sure about those dates Taddy?
I am only asking because we were in the same year at school.....so you must be 74.....or maybe 75.....so those numbers do not quite add up.
A week tomorrow we will have been married for 55 years....married 1966.
I am pretty sure that you did not get married when you were 11(or 12).
But, that apart...you picked yourself a gem there Taddy.
I think our generation still do the making and baking....I know that I do....but I don’t make jam, but I make a mean cheese scone....a fin3 roast beef dinner with home made Yorkshire pud....none of that frozen stuff.
We were taught to cook and never got out of the habit.

taddy 26-09-2021 08:07

You are Quite right Marge, my post should have read been together for 58 years and married for 54 of them,I must either have had a "Senior moment" or one hobgoblin over the odds thank you for spotting the error, Ishall have to start drinking less ale and more tea.
or then again maybe not. like you said you were taught young and properly.

DaveinGermany 26-09-2021 08:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1257989)
I shall have to start drinking less ale and more tea.
or then again maybe not.

I knew right there that when you made that comment it wouldn't last! :D

monkey hanger 26-09-2021 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1257989)
You are Quite right Marge, my post should have read been together for 58 years and married for 54 of them,I must either have had a "Senior moment" or one hobgoblin over the odds thank you for spotting the error, Ishall have to start drinking less ale and more tea.
or then again maybe not. like you said you were taught young and properly.

not sure if its respect or jealousy i have for you lot with one good long marriage. For one who has spent a few times in divorce courts with the financial costs it gave me i suppose its a bit of both. if only life was like a cricket test match where you have 2 innings it would be better. anyway with my luck rain would wipe the game out after the first day.

Margaret Pilkington 26-09-2021 10:47

Taddy, I think it might have been a combination of both senior moment and hobgoblin, I only spotted it because I knew we are about the same age in what it says on our birth certificates.
Personally I refuse to believe that lying document.
My heart is only 14...or 16 on a bad day(but even bad days are good at this time of life).
MH.....it is not really about luck.
It is like owning a lovely house.
To keep it lovely you have to put in the maintenance work...and I have to say that even the most beautiful rose has a thorn.....there are times when I would swap my other half for an empty pop bottle....and I am sure that I irritate the bejasus out of him....but it’s being able to live with those moments....and not let them take the shine off the rest of it.

I have to say that if he were to lift a finger to me..or if he was dallying with someone else then I would leave so fast he would smell the singe.

taddy 26-09-2021 14:47

I have to say that if he were to lift a finger to me..or if he was dallying with someone else then I would leave so fast he would smell the singe.

It is not a mans finger that you have to worry about Marge that is only about three inches long, it is the other male appendage that is usually twice that length that causes the most bother between spouses.;);)

taddy 26-09-2021 14:49

After that last post I am expecting a humerous quote from a scouser in Germany

DaveinGermany 26-09-2021 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1258002)
After that last post I am expecting a humerous quote from a scouser in Germany

Mate, 6" if that's all you've got ...... well, be thankful for small mercies! :D:D