Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Nuisance Calls (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/nuisance-calls-71512.html)

dotti34 22-02-2021 22:27

Nuisance Calls

I know that a few years ago there was a thread about nuisance calls which brought in a lot of comments. Anyway I thought I would start one again about this as I want to share my latest tactic, and think it would be interesting to hear what others say or do when they get one of these calls. I used to get all uptight and annoyed but now I do this. I wait until they tell me what they are ringing about and then I say in a very pleasant voice ‘thank you so much for calling me and it is very kind of you to be concerned but I really am ok. Have a lovely day’.

When I hang up, instead of feeling grumpy I feel relaxed and have to smile as I can picture them being speechless for once. I bet they never get an answer like that

cashman 23-02-2021 08:29

Re: Nuisance Calls

i just dont answer if i dont know the number dotti if its my mobile then i block the number, only let local calls through.

monkey hanger 23-02-2021 10:33

yes i follow that as well. if i do not know anyone with a certain area number then just let it ring. same with letters i just put Not at This Address on em and put em back in the post box. do not know what happens to them, could not care less, but hopefully they have to pay the return postage at the other end.

Gremlin 25-02-2021 20:40

I just hang up if I think the call is a bit dodgy, then dial 1572, then press 1 and that number is on the blocked list.

AccyMad 26-02-2021 06:25

My mum had a particularly nasty call the other day, claiming to be from HMRC & saying if she didn't call a certain number to stop a warrant being issued bailiffs would be called in to re-possess her house!!
She rang me immediately afterwards in a dreadful state, she realised it was a scam & thankfully didn't give them any of the financial details they were demanding but she was still left frightened & very shaken by the call. My stepdad passed away only a few weeks ago & she is obviously feeling pretty vulnerable at the moment- i feel these scum must be trolling death notices & ;picking out people in similar circumstances as they knew both her & her late husband's names. I know there's probably no hope of catching these despicable people but we reported it to the police & it was passed to their action fraud department so if anyone else gets such a call, please report it - you never know, if a lot of people do, then something might be done to stop these vermin

monkey hanger 26-02-2021 08:50

[QUOTE=AccyMad;. I know there's probably no hope of catching these despicable people but we reported it to the police & it was passed to their action fraud department so if anyone else gets such a call, please report it - you never know, if a lot of people do, then something might be done to stop these vermin[/QUOTE]

things like this have been going on for years. can anything be done or they cannot be bothered due to the work involved is the answer. similar things happen with mobile phones, so if they get your number surely someone could get their details. had my bank account scammed twice. only totalled about 280 quid in total. a lot for me but looking at the face of the copper i saw it was like i,d reported some minor vandalising incident of someone pulling up a single tulip in a park.

AccyMad 26-02-2021 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1250828)
things like this have been going on for years. can anything be done or they cannot be bothered due to the work involved is the answer. similar things happen with mobile phones, so if they get your number surely someone could get their details. had my bank account scammed twice. only totalled about 280 quid in total. a lot for me but looking at the face of the copper i saw it was like i,d reported some minor vandalising incident of someone pulling up a single tulip in a park.

I don't know for sure if anything can be done MH but the action fraud department took it seriously & said we did the right thing reporting it & that at least made my mum feel a bit better

taddy 27-02-2021 08:29

[QUOTE=Gremlin;1250817]I just hang up if I think the call is a bit dodgy, then dial 1572, then press 1 and that number is on the blocked list

I tried that Gremlin but all I got was a message saying not recognised, do I dial 1572 with the receiver off or on ? dont forget you are dealing with a Luddite of the highest order here.
Taddy

monkey hanger 27-02-2021 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1250850)
[

I tried that Gremlin but all I got was a message saying not recognised, do I dial 1572 with the receiver off or on ? dont forget you are dealing with a Luddite of the highest order here.
Taddy

in todays world you are now expected to know everything like that and own a smart phone. was actually told that face to face by somebody. as a fellow luddite i could not give a damn.

DaveinGermany 27-02-2021 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1250856)
in todays world you are now expected to know everything like that and own a smart phone.

While not as decrepit as some of you owd codgers & being the sprightly young pup I is, I must admit to a certain reluctance to join in this "Tech revolution".

I do possess a smart phone (by default circumstances) but it isn't an all singing all dancing shiny brand new Carlos Fandango model, it's got a few years on it & more than half the things it can do apparently I have no clue as to how they work. (That's what Nieces & Nephews are for! ;))

That being the case, I think I'm obliged & entitled to be an honorary member of you owd Luddites gang. :D

cashman 27-02-2021 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1250909)
While not as decrepit as some of you owd codgers & being the sprightly young pup I is, I must admit to a certain reluctance to join in this "Tech revolution".

I do possess a smart phone (by default circumstances) but it isn't an all singing all dancing shiny brand new Carlos Fandango model, it's got a few years on it & more than half the things it can do apparently I have no clue as to how they work. (That's what Nieces & Nephews are for! ;))

That being the case, I think I'm obliged & entitled to be an honorary member of you owd Luddites gang. :D

i am the same have no idea at all how to use my great phone i can get football latest scores etc which is why i got one the rest no idea,

lettie 28-02-2021 08:42

I started answering nuisance calls with a totally different approach.

When asked if they could speak to Mr Lettie (they always get my gender wrong), I simply asked if they were a friend or relative of the deceased?

I then say that I am Mrs Taylor from the Coroner's Office and am at the scene. I go on to say that it's imperative that I speak to a relative or somebody who knows the deceased..

They normally hang up at that point, and I've had a lot less nuisance calls.

cashman 28-02-2021 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by lettie (Post 1250943)
I started answering nuisance calls with a totally different approach.

When asked if they could speak to Mr Lettie (they always get my gender wrong), I simply asked if they were a friend or relative of the deceased?

I then say that I am Mrs Taylor from the Coroner's Office and am at the scene. I go on to say that it's imperative that I speak to a relative or somebody who knows the deceased..

They normally hang up at that point, and I've had a lot less nuisance calls.

thats a cracker Lettie wish i had thought of it.:D

monkey hanger 28-02-2021 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1250923)
i am the same have no idea at all how to use my great phone i can get football latest scores etc which is why i got one the rest no idea,

owner a merc estate a few years back. top of the range and must of cost the price of a street in bradford when new. so many buttons, switches and a radio that could do almost anything apart from finding a channel i wanted. left everything alone after playing around one day and the thing would not start. let her in the kitchen drive the thing as my old peugeots at least allowed me to get the radio lancs results and coleys after match reports. i might have well got a german language handbook with the car for what use it was. what has technology done for me. forced me to use garages when i did most repairs myself one time.

Margaret Pilkington 28-02-2021 13:49

Lettie I used that ploy many many moons ago...had great fun doing it and blogged about it.