Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Allotment. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/allotment-72953.html)

taddy 25-07-2022 16:49

Allotment.

As there has been very little talk about anything over the last few days, I thought that a mention of the produce of the allotment might provide a response, to date, I have picked twenty-nine pounds of strawberries, (true), five pounds of Blackcurrants, also true, I have been harvesting new potatoes for many weeks, I never ever weigh them, but Mrs. Taddy has not needed to buy any this year, I still have to dig up the main crop Potatoes, and to be honest I am not looking forward to it at my age but it will have to be done, I also have to lift and dry a hundred and twenty onions, I am getting tired just thinking about it but never mind, three or four,(or more) pints of real ale after I have harvested them and I
think that I should be o/k.

Margaret Pilkington 25-07-2022 17:06

Re: Allotment.

Taddy…you need to get a stall on the Market.
It might pay your power bills.

cashman 25-07-2022 17:06

we have an allotment but grow nowt apart from grass lol we just use it to sit in the sun.:)

DaveinGermany 26-07-2022 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1267567)
we have an allotment but grow nowt apart from grass lol we just use it to sit in the sun.:)

Thought that was a rare occurrence in UK? :D

taddy 26-07-2022 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1267587)
Thought that was a rare occurrence in UK? :D

What, the Allotment or the sun?

DaveinGermany 26-07-2022 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1267590)
What, the Allotment or the sun?

The Sun. :)

cashman 26-07-2022 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1267593)
The Sun. :)

it is thats why we sit in it.

Bob Dobson 27-07-2022 14:14

It's good to know that Cashy is keeping, not losing, the plot, as somebody told me recently.

taddy 27-07-2022 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1267564)
have to be done, I also have to lift and dry a hundred and twenty onions, I am getting tired just thinking about it but never mind, three or four,(or more) pints of real ale after I have harvested them and I
think that I should be o/k.

Update on the onions, lifted them today and there are a hundred and sixty, I did not realise that I had planted so many, never mind the real ale is going down a treat ;);)

DaveinGermany 27-07-2022 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1267613)
Update on the onions, lifted them today and there are a hundred and sixty, I did not realise that I had planted so many, never mind the real ale is going down a treat ;);)

Raw oniogs & real ale, wouldn't want to be down wind of you! :D

taddy 28-07-2022 08:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1267616)
Raw oniogs & real ale, wouldn't want to be down wind of you! :D

Raw oniogs eh, if you tell me where I can buy the seeds for them I will have a go at growing them Dave, :tongueout

dotti34 29-07-2022 05:10

Taddy I wish you lived near me, I would be happy to be a paying customer. The strawberries in the supermarkets here might be huge but they're also tasteless and dry. If there is any taste to them at all it is tarty. Never sweet. I think they are force-grown or whatever.

Less 29-07-2022 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1267621)
Raw oniogs eh, if you tell me where I can buy the seeds for them I will have a go at growing them Dave, :tongueout

skuta 29-07-2022 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1267566)
Taddy…you need to get a stall on the Market.
It might pay your power bills.

No. Too much Red-Tape & wasting time with Council Jobsworths.

Have you thought about donating it all to 1 or 2 Food Banks?
I believe they're very popular these days and there will never be a shortage people who can't afford food. They'll be glad of it.
You could maybe even post a Sign outside your Home & give it away yourself. Too much effort or Council bureaucracy?

There'll still be places who'll take it for free. Who doesn't like free stuff?

taddy 29-07-2022 11:15

[QUOTE=skuta;1267652]No. Too much Red-Tape & wasting time with Council Jobsworths.

Have you thought about donating it all to 1 or 2 Food Banks?

Many of these people who "cannot" afford food "can" afford to pay £10/£12 quid a packet for cigarette's and £3-00p plus for a pint and what about the growing band of young and not so young "smackheads"?

If I can put my head down and ar-- up in order to dig, sow and cultivate my own food at seventy five year's of age then why should I give it away to the people who think that the rest of the population owe them a living.