Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   What, no posts for three days. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/what-no-posts-for-three-days-72977.html)

taddy 09-08-2022 17:08

What, no posts for three days.

As the warm weather seems to be affecting the posts on Accy Web I thought that I would put my tuppence in by saying that I have now "Excavated" all the maincrop Potato's in my allotment, as I said on an earlier post, I do not weigh them but after cleaning, drying and putting them into a hessian sack to store them over winter, I would (estimate), that we have the best part of a hundred weight of spuds, So, well worth the effort and the consumption of real ale after all the effort. :)

dotti34 10-08-2022 03:51

Re: What, no posts for three days.

Well done you, taddy, with your spud growing. There are a number of people currently posting on this site though, taddy, unfortunately for those of us who are not interested in the round ball most of these posts are not of interest to us. Please, pretty please, can some of you football fans write about other things as well. We need a few subjects to debate, give us something to argue about, get the old adrenaline pumping.

DaveinGermany 10-08-2022 06:47

That's Chips at least 4 times a week for the forseeable future that mate! :D

taddy 10-08-2022 10:04

[QUOTE=DaveinGermany;1267915] That's Chips at least 4 times a week for the foreseeable future that mate!

I don't eat a lot of chips nowadays Dave, have to watch the old waistline, "Beer Belly" ok, "Fat/Grease Belly" not so ok. Instead, I prefer mashed spuds with Mrs. Taddies homemade Garlic Butter. Yes, I also cultivate, (a posh name for grow) my own Garlick bulbs and in springtime we use wild Garlic, known as Ransoms, the leaves, flowers and bulbs can all be chopped and used in any dish that needs Garlick. The lads in the Peel Park Pub tend to know when I have been "On the Garlick", I wonder Why.

taddy 10-08-2022 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1267914)
Well done you, taddy, with your spud growing. There are a number of people currently posting on this site though, taddy, unfortunately for those of us who are not interested in the round ball most of these posts are not of interest to us. Please, pretty please, can some of you football fans write about other things as well. We need a few subjects to debate, give us something to argue about, get the old adrenaline pumping.

Dotti, how about enlightening us about what grows down under besides "pouched Marsupials" that wear boxing gloves, Great White fish with big teeth, Poisonous Snakes and Spider's and all the other creatures that hate Homo- Sapiens, is there anything in Australasia that is of benefit to mankind except for sheep, the game of cricket and good-looking blonde-haired models. :D:D

Margaret Pilkington 10-08-2022 12:22

Taddy…you could convert some of those spuds to alcohol…not sure if that is poteen.

As to there being no posts for three days….yesterday every post for the day was Stanley related.
It also seems that when anything is posted that isn’t Stanley…it gets little interest.
I know that this might be because the thread is not interesting enough, but I cannot believe that those who post to Stanley have no other interest.
Yes this topic has come up before….and I feel sure it will come up again.
What I know about football could be written on the back of a postage stamp, so I am not able to post to any of the Stanley threads.

Margaret Pilkington 10-08-2022 12:24

On consulting Google…you can make vodka from potatoes….and from Vodka you can make Gin….so there you go Taddy….get distilling.

dotti34 10-08-2022 12:31

Taddy you’ve just about covered it, though cricket is no longer the game it used to be and I know nothing about blonde models, good-looking or not.

taddy 10-08-2022 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1267925)
On consulting Google…you can make vodka from potatoes….and from Vodka you can make Gin….so there you go Taddy….get distilling.

Actually, making a "still" is no big deal, it's the customs and excise plods that tend to feel your collar because you have not paid the due demands for the distillation of alcohol and yes, Poteen I believe is made from potato's boiled and then distilled but I should think that yeast in one form or another must be added to the original brew in order to ferment into alcohol before being distilled but I stand to be corrected on that. Many years ago, a pal of mine married an Irish lass and her dad brought over a couple of bottles of Poteen to the night do at the Spread Eagle in Clitheroe, with me not being averse to a little alcohol I did attempt and I really mean Attempt to taste it, I think that it must have been this so called "Fire Water" that the British colonists fed to the native American peoples in order to subdue them.

Margaret Pilkington 10-08-2022 15:25

Yes, you are right Taddy…yeast is added to boiled potatoes and then they ferment and need to be distilled…as for customs…well, how do they know unless you advertise the fact.
I guess that if you added some of the fruit you grow to this distillate then it would make it more palatable…..and you can buy a bag of herbs that convert this alcohol to Mother’s Ruin….gin.
So I won’t tell on you.

Margaret Pilkington 10-08-2022 15:28

Oh yes…if you do start making fire water I think you will find you have lots of friends who want to sample your makings.
Be warned though…it does take a lot of spuds to make a pint of grog(estimated at about 26kg per pint).
Now I know why the stuff is dear.

taddy 10-08-2022 15:46

Its only dear because spirits, Whisky, Vodka, Gin etc. is taxed at (I think) about 70%, so for every £1-00 you pay 70 pence goes to the exchequer, nice work if you can get it (but I can't get it if I try), as the saying nearly goes.

taddy 10-08-2022 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1267926)
Taddy you’ve just about covered it, though cricket is no longer the game it used to be and I know nothing about blonde models, good-looking or not.

Ask Rod Stewart, I believe that his wife ex model Penny Lancaster is from the Australian continent.

Margaret Pilkington 10-08-2022 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1267939)
Its only dear because spirits, Whisky, Vodka, Gin etc. is taxed at (I think) about 70%, so for every £1-00 you pay 70 pence goes to the exchequer, nice work if you can get it (but I can't get it if I try), as the saying nearly goes.

Like I said I would not tell you were cooking up bootleg booze:)

Ryewolf90 10-08-2022 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1267924)
As to there being no posts for three days….yesterday every post for the day was Stanley related.
It also seems that when anything is posted that isn’t Stanley…it gets little interest.

That's a good point but if people visit the forum and all they see is Stanly related posts they might assume that it's a football related forum and if like me you have no interest in any sort of football you might be dissuaded from visiting again and/or posting.