Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2008, 13:16   #16

Re: 8 yr old found hanged after deaths in the family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Think you have got me misread on this, what I was trying to say was there are people in schools trained to pick up on the talk or lack of about the deaths of close relatives. In no way do I doubt that this little boy is beside himself with grief but can imagine he didn't want to make his daddy feel even more upset. That is where the counsellors come into their own, just being able to offload a tiny proportion of how he felt might just have helped him. RIP Joshua
According to todays The Times the child went to an independent school and these do not always have access to ancillary facilities that state schools have.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-06-2008, 13:39   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
According to todays The Times the child went to an independent school and these do not always have access to ancillary facilities that state schools have.
From what I saw last night on Telly, it seems that the school staff had tried to help him after his mother died, but obviously the poor lad kept it all bottled up, what a devastating blow for his family R. I. P.
Old 07-06-2008, 13:43   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
From what I saw last night on Telly, it seems that the school staff had tried to help him after his mother died, but obviously the poor lad kept it all bottled up, what a devastating blow for his family R. I. P.
I am absolutely sure that the school staff will have tried their very best to help him. However, that is not the same as having trained professionals working with him
Old 07-06-2008, 17:33   #19
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Having been to both a state and an independent school myself, as well as currently having close relatives at both types of establishments, the pastoral care is every bit as good in the independent sector, if not better.

I also know someone at the senior school where this poor boy attended, and there is a very good range of ancillary care for all pupils who may need it, at King Edward's.

I fail to see what type of school he attended has any relevance on this tragedy.

Very, very sad.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 17:37   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Having been to both a state and an independent school myself, as well as currently having close relatives at both types of establishments, the pastoral care is every bit as good in the independent sector, if not better.

I also know someone at the senior school where this poor boy attended, and there is a very good range of ancillary care for all pupils who may need it, at King Edward's.

I fail to see what type of school he attended has any relevance on this tragedy.

Very, very sad.
I didnt say that the type of school attended necessarily affects the ancillary services. Just that for every 1 private schools with good support services I can find 10 state schools with far superior services.
Old 07-06-2008, 17:41   #21
Give, give, give member

Hardly the thread to be debating the issue.

The poor child is dead, and your comments about what care he may, or may not, have recieved at school, resulting from his mother and grandfather's death, are insensitive to say the least.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 17:51   #22

Without examination of history we learn nothing

My full sympathies go out to the remaining families, let us hope that the authorities offer them the support and help they need
Old 07-06-2008, 20:25   #23
white rabbits

I thought i had problems,but this puts everything into perspective,,
,My heartfelt sympathy to his family...
Old 07-06-2008, 21:26   #24
Accy Goddess

Poor Boy. R.I.P.
Our hearts go out to his family.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 22:13   #25
God Member

Can I just point out that I wasn't criticising Bernadette, just pointing out that nobody expects an 8yr old to hang themselves.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 22:36   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Can I just point out that I wasn't criticising Bernadette, just pointing out that nobody expects an 8yr old to hang themselves.
can't speak fer bernie obviously, but i never took it as criticism, in fact i agree ya cannot comprehend a child of that age doing that.
Old 07-06-2008, 23:18   #27

R,I,P, joshua,
pussycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..