Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2021, 08:54   #1

A breath of sea air at last.

Hazel, myself and Sandy the dog returned home last Friday after spending a fortnight in the picturesque village of Amble on the Northumbrian coast; after the 18 months of lockdown it was a pleasure to be able to get sand between the toes and the scent of the sea in the nostrils once again.The ale was a tad expensive at £4-20 a pint but what the hell, we were at last given the freedom we have been denied for going on for two years.
The only downside was the journey home, It took use five hours to travel two hundred miles due to Highways Englands habit of repairing roads during the summer season.

Your's a refreshed and sun browned Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-07-2021, 09:57   #2
God Member

Re: A breath of sea air at last.

hope you told everyone that you were going on holiday and not that new staycation word. i,d swap even roadworks any day for being sat in a crowded airport for hours on end even in normal circumstances without jabs, tests trace and track or anything new they think up.
pifco and taddy like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:50   #3
Beacon of light

Taddy...I am a nice shade of emerald green...with envy.
How I would like to get a sniff of the sea....I would even go as far as to say I would tolerate sand in my sandwiches......and to have sand between my toes......ooh, that sounds like a small slice of delight.
As for the beer....well, consider it the grown up version of a big ice cream with toppings and a flake.
You always pay more at the seaside for such things, but then you have the added enjoyment of it too.
Glad to hear that you both had a lovely time.
taddy likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:01   #4

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1255197]hope you told everyone that you were going on holiday and not that new staycation word. i,d swap even roadworks any day for being sat in a crowded airport for hours on end even in normal circumstances without jabs, tests trace and track or anything new they think up.

You and me both old lad.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:02   #5

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1255200]Taddy...I am a nice shade of emerald green...with envy.
How I would like to get a sniff of the sea....I would even go as far as to say I would tolerate sand in my sandwiches......and to have sand between my toes......ooh, that sounds like a small slice of delight.
As for the beer....well, consider it the grown up version of a big ice cream with toppings and a flake.
You always pay more at the seaside for such things, but then you have the added enjoyment of it too.

Many thanks for that Marge.
cashman likes this.
Old 13-07-2021, 10:32   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Taddy...I am a nice shade of emerald green...with envy.
its funny how people who live inland view the sea and sand. lived the first 11 years of my life and then 7 years in the early 2000,s overlooking both. it never has the same interest when its an everyday occurance and tend to swerve it even now prefering parks and woodland. best thing about the coast is you rarely get those stuffy days without a breeze that you get inland especially in the midlands.
Old 13-07-2021, 10:52   #7
Beacon of light

Doesn't that show how little we value our own environment...and I do not mean that in a critical sense.
It is just that we fail to see what others who visit us may see.
I have always wanted to live by the sea....not nrcessarily in a place where it is bumping with visitors, but somewhere on the coast where you can visit a beach for a walk...for a blow.
To watch the sea even when it is mad at nature...and boiling with rage.
To sit and watch the sun come up on a summer morning.
Those things would be priceless.
I do not think I would ever get bored with it.

Yes, woods and dales have their attractions too but give me a sea breeze...the ozone.
Aaaah! I suppose I can dream.
Old 13-07-2021, 14:57   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i did live by the sea for a few years and absolutely loved it, we were right on the front and could see the sea by looking out the window, was a busy place, but not where we were. in fact rarely went into the place used to walk the other way lol.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 14-07-2021, 07:47   #9
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Grew up 10-15 minutes away from the coast most weekends we were there with the hounds & my first job was working in Ainsdale nature reserve. Living now in Germany I do enjoy the mountains of Bavaria, Austrian Tyrol & on occassion the Swiss Alps, there is also the vast tracts of woodlands & forests which I also enjoy.

All that said though, being an "Insel Affe" (island monkey), you are always drawn back to the seas & the coast, part of our DNA to my thinking.
Old 14-07-2021, 08:26   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i did live by the sea for a few years and absolutely loved it, we were right on the front and could see the sea by looking out the window, was a busy place, but not where we were. in fact rarely went into the place used to walk the other way lol.
same with me when i lived in norfork. only time i went on the beach was if one of the dogs did a runner to '' welcome'' another holiday maker. even as a kid in hartlepool we ignored the sea and sand. still think that when you see something every single day of your life you do take it for granted but i doubt those who,d say they,d swap your existance for theirs would do so after their first winter in the place. bit of rose coloured glasses i,m afraid with the coast like it always being sunny in the 6 weeks holidays as kids.
Old 14-07-2021, 10:48   #11
Beacon of light

Many of my visits to coastal towns have been in the winter months...I took Ma on many a weeks trip to places that would shut down if it were not for the Turkey and tinsel brigade.
I can remember it raining(this was a summer trip to North Wales) but I cannot remember ever being so cold that it made me complain....one December in Eastbourne I was sat outside the hotel in a short sleeved dress because it was too warm in the ballroom....and I was not cold sitting outside in the moonlight(maybe it was the brandy keeping me warm)

But Hartlepool....Norfolk....both East coast so I have not suffered the delights of those places.
That said, and being a female of a certain age...I take my own internal combustion heater everywhere I go....and these days I prefer cool...or even cold.
There are only so many clothes you can take off.
Old 14-07-2021, 11:04   #12

[QUOTE=DaveinGermany;1255222]Grew up 10-15 minutes away from the coast most weekends we were there with the hounds & my first job was working in Ainsdale nature reserve.

Aah, so you are not a true Scouser then!
Old 14-07-2021, 19:26   #13
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Aah, so you are not a true Scouser then!

Liverpool lad born & bred Tadmeister, I was whelped at Mill road Maternity, lived my early tender years at Tillotson street (I'm informed, to young to remember & sadly the street no longer exists) then me Dad got a job as a jailer & the family was moved out to the new PO's estate in posh Maghull.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...ls.asp?id=2651

https://historic-liverpool.co.uk/int...40879/-2.96069

So I can only assume your aspersions relate to my being gainfully employed, somewhat of a novelty by Scouse standards I know.
Old 15-07-2021, 08:44   #14
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;.and these days I prefer cool...or even cold.
There are only so many clothes you can take off.[/QUOTE]

thats always been my outlook on the weather. suppose you are like we are when the weather forecast is on. them getting excited and going OTT for heat and sun. one day one of us will put the screen in i,m sure.
Old 15-07-2021, 09:22   #15

[QUOTE=DaveinGermany;

So I can only assume your aspersions relate to my being gainfully employed somewhat of a novelty by Scouse standards I know.

No offence meant, as you know.
After seeing the storm damage and serious flooding in Germany on the news this morning I sincerely hope that you and yours are not affected.
Stay safe, Taddy.
DaveinGermany likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..