Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2010, 21:05   #16
Beacon of light

Re: A favour to ask.

Gayle I appreciate your reply and it is good that you contacted someone you felt may be vulnerable.

My Mum is in her 80's and is finding this bad weather something of a trial......she has me to check on her...and I do, regularly.
It got me thinking that there must be many older folk, who in normal circumstances are quite active and able, but in the current conditions might need some help.
People, who perhaps, have no family living close by to check on them......that was my motive....and the reason I asked the good folk on Accyweb to consider their elderly neighbours.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-01-2010, 21:10   #17
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
While I am not against humour in posts......I really started this thread with the view to making people aware that some of our elderly neighbours may need a helping hand.
I was trying to foster some community spirit.
It appears that I have failed.
I am sorry to have troubled you.
It had worked, it did remind us all, but do you want a happy smiling, I've just come to see you're o.k. type person, or a miserable I'm only doing this because Margaret made me feel guilty, sod calling on their neighbour?
If it's the latter, I'm your man but I must warn you, the suicide rate amongst my neighbours could go up with this approach!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 21:15   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

we checked on a lady at t-time funnily enough, but good to remind folk.
Old 07-01-2010, 21:15   #19
Beacon of light

No less, the older folk who see you coming up their path will probably hide behind the sofa until you have gone....they might think you are the 'tally man'....or worse......a 'God botherer'.

And I hoped not to have made anyone feel guilty,(though Gayle admits to this emotion.....note, you can only feel guilty if you feel that there is something you haven't done right) but to raise the awareness of being a good neighbour.
Old 07-01-2010, 21:19   #20
Beacon of light

good on you Cashy.

We have a very feisty old lady near us, and a few years ago she broke her hip falling in the snow......since then she has not ventured over her doorstep when it has snowed....so we did a bit of shopping for her today......normally we wouldn't be allowed to help out,she is very independent and likes to keep active and do things for herself......we noted that since the snow came down that we hadn't seen her.
This set alarm bells ringing....she was out of bread and has been drinking milkless tea for the last few days.
Old 07-01-2010, 21:19   #21
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Personally, I blame Neil for lowering the tone.
Your welcome, by the way if you think that is lowering the tone you must have had a sheltered life ( which I know you haven't )

Margaret, every time someone posts in this thread it fires it back to the top of the list. If someone who has not seen it before does because it is at the top then they will see your original kind request in post 1 first.
Old 07-01-2010, 21:20   #22
Beacon of light

Thank you Neil........I never doubted you had a good heart.
Old 07-01-2010, 21:30   #23
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Thank you Neil........I never doubted you had a good heart.
So all in all, can we keep the humour coming so long as we promise that deep down we really do understand it is an important subject?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 21:33   #24
Beacon of light

Of course Less......I didn't make you feel guilty, did I? (grins wickedly).

And yes, the subject is important....and I know only too well that sometimes, humour is a good way to get the message across.
Old 07-01-2010, 21:39   #25
God Member

Thought about it .... no, I don't think there is a real difference, merely a question of perception (accidental rhyme) ... but some of you might want to consider that being a good neighbour could be a full time thing ... not just something that happens in times of crisis. My neighbours and I often get together after a snowstorm to help one another out. Four shovels and a snowblower can clean driveways out in short order. And this neighbourliness continues throughout the year ... when a neighbour is away for a few days, or even weeks, all of us at this end of the street keep an eye on the vacant house ... pick up mail and flyers etc. My neighbour across the street leaves me his house key so that I can go in and feed his cats and change their litter. This is what community is all about. I know it may sound optimistic, but this kind of behaviour is one way in which adults can show good examples to the young.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 21:46   #26
Beacon of light

Hooray Eric, my sentiments exactly......but if you start off little then you have a chance to 'grow'.
And you are right about the example it sets for the younger folk too.
Good neighbourliness is something to cultivate and leads to the feeling of 'community'.

I am aware that some of our community may have reservations about trusting people, and this has to be overcome by building gradually.......and that there is a difference between helping out in times of need and fostering a dependence.......so it is something that has to be done with caution, and of course kindness.
Old 07-01-2010, 21:51   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
This is what community is all about. I know it may sound optimistic, but this kind of behaviour is one way in which adults can show good examples to the young.
Sounds like where I live mate.

A couple of days ago I got some shopping for our neighbour so she did not have to push the pram in the snow. We have keys for a couple of people and they have ours for when needed.
Old 07-01-2010, 22:00   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Thought about it .... no, I don't think there is a real difference, merely a question of perception (accidental rhyme) ... but some of you might want to consider that being a good neighbour could be a full time thing ... not just something that happens in times of crisis. My neighbours and I often get together after a snowstorm to help one another out. Four shovels and a snowblower can clean driveways out in short order. And this neighbourliness continues throughout the year ... when a neighbour is away for a few days, or even weeks, all of us at this end of the street keep an eye on the vacant house ... pick up mail and flyers etc. My neighbour across the street leaves me his house key so that I can go in and feed his cats and change their litter. This is what community is all about. I know it may sound optimistic, but this kind of behaviour is one way in which adults can show good examples to the young.
This is reciprocal neighbourliness though Eric; neighbours who are fit and healthy ... Margaret is talking about elderly people who cannot give anything back to the community ... do you help them? That is the question.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 22:04   #29
Beacon of light

Kate, I would bet that they do help those who cannot reciprocate, because the kind of reciprocal neighbourliness fosters care about others in the area....it is almost a mindset.....thinking of others. Not that I'm saying it doesn't happen here too.....but I know that some older folk are fiercely independent and will not ask for help.....but would take it in certain circumstances, if offered.(My ma is of this genus)
Old 07-01-2010, 23:07   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
This is reciprocal neighbourliness though Eric; neighbours who are fit and healthy ... Margaret is talking about elderly people who cannot give anything back to the community ... do you help them? That is the question.
But does true neighbourliness require a quid pro quo? And, of course you help. I think it is a distinctly negative way of thinking to suggest that the elderly have nothing to give to the community, that they are somehow used up and useless. We could all learn from other cultures, First Nations are a good example, in which elders are respected for their experience and the wisdom which often comes with age. And there are rewards for helping, not the least of which is feeling good about doing something useful for someone else ... as long as it is done with spontaneity, and not out of a sense of obligation.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..