Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2007, 18:28   #61
Senior Member+

Re: A Law Unto Themselves?

i dont think that would be fair would it?

I would make a rubbish mod

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-12-2007, 18:33   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Last edited by Neil : Today at 19:24. Reason: Used the wrong word again
The first word seemed OK to me. I think either description fits the bill.

From Wikipedia:

Sometimes, flamers attempt to assert their authority, or establish a position of superiority over other users. Other times, a flamer is simply an individual who believes he or she carries the only valid opinion. This leads him or her to personally attack those who disagree. Occasionally, flamers wish to upset and offend other members of the forum, in which case they can be called "trolls".

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 18:36   #63
God Member

I don't think it would be fair either, we all have opinions, I know you do, the difference I think is just in the way they are expressed, and the way in which they are responded to.
Old 02-12-2007, 18:44   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I thought that trolling was against the rules.
Is it not time that jambutty was banned?

Id invest in that lol
Mr Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 18:47   #65
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]

However the law is quite clear – the age for buying booze is 18 or over and for Asda to declare that Asda will not sell booze to anyone who looks under 21, not withstanding the trading laws, is illegal.

You missed by reply in your continuing rants

But just in case you still haven't got the message.

IT IS NOT ILLEGAL FOR ASDA TO DECIDE TO SELL TO UNDER 21's. IT IS TOTALLY UP TO THEM WHO THEY SELL TO.

so time to shut up and get back to being a miserable old koot again

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 18:54   #66
God Member

An excerpt from a post by Jambutty in the 'Introduce Yourself' thread.

Even at 70 I still ask questions if I don’t know something.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 18:59   #67
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Congratulations, this has just been nominated for 'ironic post of the year'

You forgot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey
You are actually the most annoying person I've seen on this forum to date.
Old 02-12-2007, 19:05   #68
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: A Law Unto Themselves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
In case it escaped your notice, Mr. Butty, it's not illegal. Asda ,or any other retailer for that matter, can pick and choose who they would like to sell any product to.
Talking to a non-existent member. Bring on the men with white coats.
Old 02-12-2007, 19:13   #69
God Member

Sign that you have lost when all you can put as a response is that someone didn't use your full title.

Give it up now

Old 02-12-2007, 19:21   #70
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
In case it escaped your notice, Mr. Butty, it's not illegal. Asda ,or any other retailer for that matter, can pick and choose who they would like to sell any product to.
Still talking to a non-existent person! It really is a shame when people cannot tell reality from imagination.
Old 02-12-2007, 19:22   #71
God Member

You're even repeating yourself now!

Old 02-12-2007, 19:23   #72
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Is that the best you can do? always the same isnt it JB.
This forum seems to be full of people who talk to a non-existent person! It really is a shame when people cannot tell reality from imagination.
Old 02-12-2007, 19:24   #73
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
Don't bother!! save your fuel and go to the Off License on Willows Lane
They have one of these posters. When I asked about the 21 thingy, they said ' you have to look over 21, or we will ask for I.D '
If I had read the sign before opening my gob, it does state it on the sign lol.
I know. Everywhere I know that sells alcohol has a "Challenge 21" poster. I even tried to explain to Jambutty that it would probably have been a "Challenge 21" poster but he seems to think that the Grimshaw Park ASDA has some sort of ruling of their own so I would just love to see it for myself to prove that it is nothing of the sort and simply the same as everyone else's.

Quote:
Much obliged for your contribution.

However the law is quite clear – the age for buying booze is 18 or over and for Asda to declare that Asda will not sell booze to anyone who looks under 21, not withstanding the trading laws, is illegal.

Not slow off the mark yerself it’s just that I have been aware of the notice shortly after it came on display. But being over 21 myself it was of no concern to me.

I took notice when the other day a young man, after producing his driving license and passport, was still refused the sale of a bottle of scotch for his granddad’s birthday because he looked under 21.
No, it is not illegal. ASDA is perfectly within it's rights to refuse to sell alcohol (or anything else for that matter) to anyone they wish to refuse to sell it to. Their reason for avoiding selling alcohol to some people is to avoid prosecution for selling to someone under the legal age of 18. The law is that they MUST NOT sell alcohol to people under 18. The law is not that they MUST sell alcohol to people over the age of 18. What you have done is use false logic to draw an erroneous conclusion.

However, that is merely a tangent. You are missing the whole point. You have presumably not read my previous reference to the "challenge 21" scheme which is not limited to one ASDA store but is a national scheme whereby ANYONE who looks under 21 is advised that they will be challenged to prove that they are OVER 18 - please note that OVER 18, not over 21 - before they can buy alcohol.

If someone did produce ID to prove that he was over 18 and then was refused he would certainly have cause to grumble but this is something you have now brought up as an aside after you have been shown to have lost your original argument. There was a case in the paper where a woman was refused because she looked under 21 and still refused even when her adult daughter proved that SHE was over 18! That just proved that a member of staff at the store in question was being plain silly, not that the store itself had an illegal policy.

Quote:

In case it escaped your notice the thread was to point out the illegality of Asda decreeing that they would not sell alcohol to anyone who appears to be under 21.
I really must see these posters in your ASDA - or did it possibly escape your notice that the number 18 appears on those posters?

Quote:
I would just like to say thank you to the torag who rang me a few minutes ago with the intent of having an argument. He refused to identify himself when I asked who he was so he was told to go away in the traditional Anglo Saxon way.

This must have made him really livid because after a few seconds he rang back but I didn’t pick up and he finally gave up when, I presume, he couldn’t hold the phone receiver to his ear any longer. What a sad dork!

Are we really expected to believe that an AccyWebber would go to all the trouble of ringing you up to argue with you about this?

Thanks Jambutty, for such an entertaining thread. Best laugh I've had all week.

P.S. Please look at the attached images, read all of the text, take time to inwardly digest it and then have a think about it and you might just be able to understand what people have been trying to tell you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg challenge 21_1.JPG (32.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg challenge 21_2.JPG (5.9 KB, 7 views)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 19:26   #74
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I thought that trolling was against the rules.
Is it not time that jambutty was banned?
What is trolling?
Old 02-12-2007, 19:29   #75
Resident Waffler

I thought you were a forum moderator elsewhere Jambutty. Surely you must know what a troll is.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..