Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-11-2007, 13:10   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool A Law Unto Themselves?

Unless a new law has passed me by in my dotage I always thought that no one under the age of 18 could legally buy alcohol.

So how come that Asda at Grimshaw Park in Blackburn has a notice at each checkout that states in effect the purchaser of alcohol has to be over 21 years of age and they always check?

I don’t recall an Asda political party or that Asda can now make laws as they see fit.

I appreciate that in their way Asda is doing its bit to help to curtail teenage drinking but they, just like the rest of us have to abide by the law of the land.

I also appreciate that a vendor is under no obligation to sell his wares if the vendor chooses not to do so. But once a customer has indicated that he wants to buy an item and has offered the money to complete the sale, the vendor must then complete the transaction.

Or has that changed too?
Old 30-11-2007, 13:34   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: A Law Unto Themselves?

does seem a strange one that.
Old 30-11-2007, 13:41   #3
God Member

Yes, the customer does not have 'right to buy' untill the vendor has ACCEPTED the money. Up to that point it is termed "Invitation to treat". The vendor can pull out at any point untill money has actually changed hands and a receipt given. Even then, if the sale can be shown to be an error of such magnitude that the customer would have known to be erroneous then teh retailer can still pull out.

As for the 21 thing. it is not law that you have to sell to 18YO's only that the minimum age that you can sell to is 18. its a bit like your usual argument of speed limits, they are a boundary not a compulsory value. in speed case anything lower than 30 is OK. in Alcohol anyting over 18 is OK. the choice of you travelling at 22mph is just like ASDA selling to >21's. I guess this is due to them proabbly being fined at some point for selling to under age so they move their goalposts to make sure that staff don't make the same mistake

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 13:43   #4
Resident Waffler

You may have misread the notice. It is likely to be one which says that if you do not look over 21 you may be asked to produce ID to prove that you are over 18. I know it sounds a bit odd but those notices are not just in Asda and I think it's because of the difficulty in telling between a 17 and an 18 year old but if someone looks 21 then they are probably at least 19! Hope that makes sense.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 13:46   #5
God Member

Those notices wind me up. Never once have they asked me for id
Old 30-11-2007, 13:47   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

that sounds probable willow.
Old 30-11-2007, 13:49   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Is that because you had a hard paper round mate?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 14:22   #8

Its very simple JB lad. The wont sell to anyone who looks under 21 so as to cover themselves in a way.
Mr Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 15:44   #9
God Member

As usual, Jambutty has it wrong. As with all supermarkets, off-licenses and many pubs, notices say that if you do not look 21, then you will not be served alcohol or fags unless you can prove your age is 18 or greater. The wording may be different on each notice but the intention is simply to decrease the risk of prosecution for selling to underage kids.

I wonder if the Darwen ASDA has opticians on the premises? If so, maybe Jambutty would care to pay them a visit next time he is in the store.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 15:45   #10
God Member

If this is true then a boycotting of Asda will ensue. It's certainly not Asda policy in Hull however, as I bought some last night. :]
Old 30-11-2007, 16:34   #11
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: A Law Unto Themselves?

You know entwisi it would be ever so nice if you read what was actually written before commenting on what you THINK was written. Oh! Hang on! I forgot you are a tech god so you know everything.

There is no mention of 18 years of age on the Asda checkout notices WillowTheWhisp. If there had been I would have mentioned it. Do try and keep up to reality.

You have bad habit there Aleks – talking to someone who doesn’t exist. There is no JB registered as a member of this forum. Not even a JB lad. You don’t happen to have a large grey rabbit sitting next to you whilst you watch TV by any chance do you? I suppose that you have to pity the mentally afflicted but they shouldn’t be let out without supervision.

Ah! Good old Tealeaf has crawled out from under his stone with some pearls of wisdom. I was expecting supercilious comments from ‘know it all tech god’ entwisi and ‘opinion about everything’ WillowTheWhisp and ‘talking to imaginary people’ Aleks plus a few others but I forgot about you.

I don’t care about what notices are posted in pubs, off-licences and other supermarkets Tealeaf. My comment was about Asda at Grimshaw Park, Blackburn and far from being wrong was spot on. Not Asda in Hull Cyfr or any other Asda. It was written clear enough for all to see. Not only do you need glasses Tealeaf but a functioning brain as well.

Oh! By the way Tealeaf! Would you be so kind as to lead me to the Asda supermarket in Darwen? I’ve searched the length and breadth of Darwen and I can’t find it. Could it possibly be because there isn’t an Asda supermarket in Darwen. So now who got it totally wrong?

Have you ever considered engaging your brain – that’s the wobbly grey matter between your ears – before spouting off? It would be a first if you did.

Now – whom shall I select for some negative Karma for being such a pratt? Nah! I can’t be bothered. I know! Why don't you all take a leaf (a Tealeaf?) out of Aleks’ book and imagine you all got some negative Karma.
Old 30-11-2007, 16:44   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
You know entwisi it would be ever so nice if you read what was actually written before commenting on what you THINK was written. Oh! Hang on! I forgot you are a tech god so you know everything.

There is no mention of 18 years of age on the Asda checkout notices WillowTheWhisp. If there had been I would have mentioned it. Do try and keep up to reality.

You have bad habit there Aleks – talking to someone who doesn’t exist. There is no JB registered as a member of this forum. Not even a JB lad. You don’t happen to have a large grey rabbit sitting next to you whilst you watch TV by any chance do you? I suppose that you have to pity the mentally afflicted but they shouldn’t be let out without supervision.

Ah! Good old Tealeaf has crawled out from under his stone with some pearls of wisdom. I was expecting supercilious comments from ‘know it all tech god’ entwisi and ‘opinion about everything’ WillowTheWhisp and ‘talking to imaginary people’ Aleks plus a few others but I forgot about you.

I don’t care about what notices are posted in pubs, off-licences and other supermarkets Tealeaf. My comment was about Asda at Grimshaw Park, Blackburn and far from being wrong was spot on. Not Asda in Hull Cyfr or any other Asda. It was written clear enough for all to see. Not only do you need glasses Tealeaf but a functioning brain as well.

Oh! By the way Tealeaf! Would you be so kind as to lead me to the Asda supermarket in Darwen? I’ve searched the length and breadth of Darwen and I can’t find it. Could it possibly be because there isn’t an Asda supermarket in Darwen. So now who got it totally wrong?

Have you ever considered engaging your brain – that’s the wobbly grey matter between your ears – before spouting off? It would be a first if you did.

Now – whom shall I select for some negative Karma for being such a pratt? Nah! I can’t be bothered. I know! Why don't you all take a leaf (a Tealeaf?) out of Aleks’ book and imagine you all got some negative Karma.
it does say that on the signe my son went to buy beer he is 18 they asked him for id then served him no problem my son asked why does the signe say 21 they said it stops anyone trying and arguing that they are old enough that was the reason givin by the girl on checkout
Old 30-11-2007, 18:22   #13
God Member

These signs are popping up all over the place and yes they may well be written slightly different on each one but the idea is the same.

If you don't look 21 then you won't be served unless having ID to prove you are 18+

I see no issue with it as it protects the vendor and the customer is pre-warned so may avoid embarressment

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 18:54   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
These signs are popping up all over the place and yes they may well be written slightly different on each one but the idea is the same.

If you don't look 21 then you won't be served unless having ID to prove you are 18+

I see no issue with it as it protects the vendor and the customer is pre-warned so may avoid embarressment
He still won't agree with you. If you stood the sign up his **** he would still argue about it.
Old 30-11-2007, 19:04   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I have International ID ... it's called gray hair ... fortunately I have lots of it, mostly on my head.

In Ontario, at the liquor and beer outlets, they ID anyone who looks under 25! Of course, Ontario has the most archaic liquor laws in the free world. Which means we have lots of bootleggers and they don't check for ID.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..