Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2010, 19:08   #31

Re: A minimum price on alcohol???

I've always said they need to stop all the corner shops and supermarkets from selling beer and bring back off licences and off sales in pubs. It's far far to easy to just nip to the corner and get a few tins. Putting up the price won't make a differance but if people had to walk a lot further they might think twice. Just my humble opinion anyway.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-08-2010, 19:22   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Sam, you told me to get a grip and I asked you,as one of that age group, to come up with any suggestions.Your suggestion appears to be do nothing,the culture will change over generations! 1 generation is 25 years, so are you suggesting we let our young people carry on like this for 50 years,75 years? Do you want to live for another 50 years in a country which sits back and lets its young people soak themselves in drink and drugs as often as they can and doesn't try to help them?It's not fair on them and it's not fair on everyone else.We can't wait generations and neither can the young people, so come on,talk to your friends who think like you and come up with something.You have a new MP,give him something to work on.
I unfortunately do not know the answer and don't claim to, in fact I don't believe there is one.

If you look at the lifestyles and mindsets of the continental europeans compared to our own you will find we work a lot harder and *play* a lot harder. The problem isn't our attitude to drink, it is our attitude to life and I don't see how any government, especially one whose main interest is to spend more time in power rather than use the power they have for good, could do this, or even would want to as it would greatly lower the GDP.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 19:26   #33
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
I've always said they need to stop all the corner shops and supermarkets from selling beer and bring back off licences and off sales in pubs.
Again I don't see that being a problem, it is after all only an outlet & that being the case they are supplying a requirement, attitudes are the problem. I mean Germany doesn't have the 24 hour shopping that is available in the UK, so half way through the evening you can't nip out to a tesco's for bread, milk or Beer, but I can go to my nearest garage & pick up all of the mentioned items & yes that includes Beer, it doesn't lead to a raft of increased cases of drink driving or drunkenness simply because of peoples attitudes.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 19:27   #34
Senior Member+

Sam,good and honest answer. But it leaves me in despair.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 19:38   #35
God Member

Quote:
But you brought up the generation that is the parents of the problem generation. You want the blame to rest with the people of today but it started when after seeing Europe your generation found the drink related rules over here to constricting. Ever since these rules and laws have been nibbled at and we have a situation were everyone got what they wanted and sod the consequences. Now you are bleeting about it even though you started te ball rolling and hope that an answer can be found from those enjoying your bequeathment to them. Maybe the outcome should have been considered when it was started.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 19:38   #36

Quote:
Have a beer
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 19:47   #37
Senior Member+

Thanks Sam, I will,soon.What's yours?
Old 05-08-2010, 20:09   #38
Senior Member+

SPUGGIE J-Bleeting? Don't be silly.Your response is common and typical.Its not their fault, who else can we blame? Oh yes, let's go back 3 generations and blame them.Not that many of my age group got to go abroad and try different drink rules.And the 24 hour drink law didn't come in till Nov 1995. So don't try to pass the buck to me and my lot.Perhaps your'e feeling a little guilty because it was your age group that started the ball rolling?
Old 05-08-2010, 20:21   #39
Senior Member+

Whoops,I've done it again.It was Nov 2005.Must be the drink!
Old 05-08-2010, 21:19   #40
God Member

Quote:
SPUGGIE J-Bleeting? Don't be silly.Your response is common and typical.Its not their fault, who else can we blame? Oh yes, let's go back 3 generations and blame them.Not that many of my age group got to go abroad and try different drink rules.And the 24 hour drink law didn't come in till Nov 1995. So don't try to pass the buck to me and my lot.Perhaps your'e feeling a little guilty because it was your age group that started the ball rolling?
Some with money did get the chance to go abroad and sample a different lifestyle. As with everything that is considered to be cool in whatever era people will want a slice of it when they get home. Then once enough want it a culture takes of that as time goes by evolves. It can evolve better or worse depending on the situation.

Children in many cases follow the way of their parents. So if over several generations this balloons there has to be a route cause with following on effects. I will not denying my age group help start it or carried it on. But as I was growing up there was no money available for excess drinking. I never was a heavy drinker and never got into trouble through it as I knew it could be bad and was told so. The worst I did was waking up in a graveyard and the old brickyard at Huncoat.

If it was not previous generations and their attitude to drink that helped start this problem then how can you explain Scotlands problem that pro rota is bigger than that of England?

I could also be that having to work shifts not by choice many realised their weekend could be ruined. So if 24 hour drinking was available then they make the most of it. And shift work is not a new thing but we are seeing more and more of it.

I still say that the parents should be held accountable. How often do they kick the kids out on a Friday and Saturday night with extra cash in their pockets so it is quiet for them. They never educated the kids properly about the pit falls as it was easier to use the out of site out of mind attitude.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 05-08-2010, 21:31   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
But you brought up the generation that is the parents of the problem generation. You want the blame to rest with the people of today but it started when after seeing Europe your generation found the drink related rules over here to constricting. Ever since these rules and laws have been nibbled at and we have a situation were everyone got what they wanted and sod the consequences. Now you are bleeting about it even though you started te ball rolling and hope that an answer can be found from those enjoying your bequeathment to them. Maybe the outcome should have been considered when it was started.
thats crap spugs, i sure as hell don't know any of my generation that argued fer the 24 hours drinking, in fact why should we, could get a drink any time if we wished,n was more pleasure in after time.
Old 05-08-2010, 21:43   #42
Beacon of light

You cannot seriously blame all parents for the drunken loutish behaviour of some of the young people today.
It is far more likely that these drunken antics are influenced by the peers of the people in question, than the influence of the parents.

It also seems to me that there is a distinct lack of excitement and danger for young people.......maybe this is a force that makes them abuse alcohol, take drugs and get into fights and such.....but then how the heck would I know? I am in the old fogey category......you know the one....we grew up in the late fifties and didn't drink ourselves into oblivion......personally I was too busy trying to make a living.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 22:00   #43
God Member

Cashy not saying it was all of a generation just some. To Margartets point about a danger element did that not come with the chance of being caught on a lock in? Margaret the point about trying to make a living in the 50's as opposed to today is that dreaded phrase "disposable income" which is greater now. Up here it has become down the generations a right of passage in a way to be a hardened drinker. I have spent half my life up here so am out of touch with what happens down there. I cannot comment on what happens down there but just how it plays out up here.I cant go near a shop that sells booze on a Friday or Saturday without boozy teens asking me to buy drink which I wont.

For better or worse we are stuck with it till there is a real workable answer.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 05-08-2010, 22:11   #44
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Personally up your way spugs Rab C Nesbitt has a lot to answer for.
Old 05-08-2010, 22:13   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Personally up your way spugs Rab C Nesbitt has a lot to answer for.
Yep imagine making string vests a fashion statement.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..