Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2008, 01:23   #1
God Member

a moral conundrum

jumping over from the "Pure altruism does it exist?" thread, a question came up over Dinner this evening , (a few ageing 50 somethings putting the world to right over good food and few bottles of good Napa Valley wine )
So me being the "jesuit" I am , I asked the question ........imagine the the old Roman coliseum and they bring out Dr Albert Schweitzer followed by Mother Teresa, tie them both to separate stakes ,then they let a Lion loose,........... which one would you want it to eat first and why ?
I don't have an answer , was just being 'bloody minded' at the pretentiousness(bull-crap) of the other diners, a couple of whom, both friends , may or may not be out of a job next week depending on the election results .

So the question is who would 'Accy-web' users prefered to have been eaten first and why
thanks
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-11-2008, 01:31   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: a moral conundrum

How strange you are Steeljack; the most obvious first answer to the question is that, if I were a Lion, the body with the most meat on it .. if looking to who is the least worth to mankind, then Mother Teresa of course.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:51   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
How strange you are Steeljack; the most obvious first answer to the question is that, if I were a Lion, the body with the most meat on it .. if looking to who is the least worth to mankind, then Mother Teresa of course.
I take exception to being called 'strange"

Well of course both are of "scrawny build " one from the slums of Caclutta and the other ravaged by African diseases so logically the hungry lion will want to eat both . But should the lion eat Albert first ( no jokes about a stick with a horses head handle , please) so Mother Teresa could pray for his soul in the meantime , or should the good Doctor be a 'gentleman' and encourage the Lion to give the Good mother a few more precious moments on Earth .

Last edited by steeljack; 01-11-2008 at 01:53.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:19   #4

Question Re: a moral conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
I take exception to being called 'strange"

Well of course both are of "scrawny build " one from the slums of Caclutta and the other ravaged by African diseases so logically the hungry lion will want to eat both . But should the lion eat Albert first ( no jokes about a stick with a horses head handle , please) so Mother Teresa could pray for his soul in the meantime , or should the good Doctor be a 'gentleman' and encourage the Lion to give the Good mother a few more precious moments on Earth .
What if it were a Vegetarian LION
south aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:02   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by south aussie View Post
What if it were a Vegetarian LION
There'd be a lot of Italian billionaires today
Old 01-11-2008, 09:11   #6
Give, give, give member

Which would I want the lion to eat first?

Neither of them.

I'd prefer for the Reverend Mother to spot that the lion had a thorn in it's paw, which the good doctor then removed, and they all lived happily ever after.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 15:17   #7
God Member

as long as the lions put on a good show i woudlnt care who they ate first

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 16:58   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
as long as the lions put on a good show i woudlnt care who they ate first
I wouldn't find the killing to my taste ... I prefer the mauling and the bloody dismemberment
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 16:59   #9
Senior Member+

Wouldn't be the first Albert eaten by a lion, ask Stanley Holloway.

I think the real moral conundrum is drinking American wine, personally I try not to fund their pursuit of world domination.

How about a nice Chilean red?

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:24   #10

Thumbs up Re: a moral conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
Wouldn't be the first Albert eaten by a lion, ask Stanley Holloway.

I think the real moral conundrum is drinking American wine, personally I try not to fund their pursuit of world domination.

How about a nice Chilean red?
What about a good Barossa red or a Mclaren Vale red from South Australia?
south aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:33   #11

You know what I find strange? The assumption that anyone would have a preference for who was eaten first!!
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:00   #12
I am Band

Talking Re: a moral conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by south aussie View Post
What about a good Barossa red or a Mclaren Vale red from South Australia?
On a thread wander...

I would much prefer a Farmer's Daughter, from the Mudgee region, just north of Sydney. Just don't tell Lettie!

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 15:58   #13
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkologist View Post
On a thread wander...

I would much prefer a Farmer's Daughter, from the Mudgee region, just north of Sydney. Just don't tell Lettie!
Lettie knows dearest......... I always know what you get up to when I'm not here.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 00:12   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

it musta been one crap dinner, fer that to come up mate.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..