Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2009, 09:24   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: A near miss - and nobody said

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
i didnt know who dr mengale was (by name, i know of the nazi dr tho) so i googled it and i really wish i hadnt
why ems? people should be aware of what these monsters were capable of n did, agree it aint nice,don't forget this aint centuries ago, its in my parents lifetime, it may be just fancyfull but maybe the more know,the less chance of people allowing it to re-occur.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:25   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
The meteorite was the answer to their prayers. The bankers paid someone on high in order for it to miss thus allowing them to enjoy their hard sorry ill earned cash. Suprised certain world leaders aint been gettin on the band wagon.
You should know better than making statements like that Spugs, you'll be giving Gordon ideas, just another way for him to save the world
Old 05-03-2009, 09:31   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
why ems? people should be aware of what these monsters were capable of n did, agree it aint nice,don't forget this aint centuries ago, its in my parents lifetime, it may be just fancyfull but maybe the more know,the less chance of people allowing it to re-occur.
My Dad said very little about his service in the war, but he did show contempt for the Germans until the day he died, the only experience he did mention more than once was the fact that Germans actually booby trapped their own dead, knowing full well the the allied forces would stop to bury them, now that was sick
Old 05-03-2009, 10:11   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
i didnt know who dr mengale was (by name, i know of the nazi dr tho) so i googled it and i really wish i hadnt
He wasn't the only one to do it but I suppose it always helps to have one specific person to point the finger at.

I think it makes people feel better if they have someone specific to blame. And most of today's concern over the Holocaust is beyond actually solving any problems now, it's all about just looking a certain way.

I had a seminar yesterday where we were asked if we could justify the Holocaust in terms of ethical theories. There are a lot of academics who do put forward quite convincing arguments. And it isn't because they think what happened was right in anyway, but beyond just saying 'well Hitler was crazy/bad' there are ways to see how rational human beings can be capable of doing things and believing they are correct.

I find that quite interest and I see very little point in ranting about how terrible the Holocaust was because people KNOW that without even making much of a fuss about you.

The sentence '6 million Jewish people died' is enough to make people think 'that is bad', but it is much more worthwhile to consider the justifications of what happened, and as a result destroying those arguments as you build them (if you can) and actually saying something worthwhile on the subject.

People shouldn't be so afraid to speak against the norm an avoid criticism, it leads to a very boring life. WE don't live in those circumstances, so we should be able to do so without being shot down, and there is no pun intended there but lets face it, if we did live in Nazi Germany we would be shot for doing such a thing.

I've studied the Holocaust in many contexts throughout my education, less British children will learn about it in the class room because it has been taken off the syllabus, or at least it had when I last saw the issue reported on.

Is that a bad thing?

Well it was a landmark genocide, if I can call it that and not sound like I'm merely thinking of statistics, but there are many genocides which don't get the attention they deserve, some happening now, in this current lifetime, and not very much actually gets said about them.

That for me is a bigger problem, mainly because the Holocaust, as important as it was, was over 60yrs ago and hasn't made enough of an impact on the world to stop future genocides and people are still giving it more importance than the genocides which are much more close to today and those murdered in those are never mentioned.

What I find particularly odd is that Hitler is considered to be the worst when so many people have been killed under Mao and even Stalin that its just bizarre.

Syria and Rwanda are the most recent that I can think of, and obviously killings in places like Iraq and Afghanistan, and though the numbers don't compare in relation to death toll, I think it is a damn sight more worrying that AFTER Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Castro, Pinochet and all the other 'popular' (as in well known/talked about) leaders which caused so much death we can still see genocide occurring today.

THAT is what is worrying. Not the possibility of people FORGETTING the Holocaust, but the fact that people aren't seeing what is happening TODAY.

Sorry for the rant.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..