Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-04-2005, 07:30   #31
Give, give, give member

Re: A Panopticon for Oswaldtwistle

Aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder and are open to interpretation.

You say black, l say empty colourless void.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-04-2005, 11:03   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Purplelass, you miss the point, this is a joke, it points out the essential worthlessness of the whole idea.
No you miss the point. I know it's a joke, I'm not stupid and I do have a sense of humour.

The point is that people travelled to see it. If the real thing was built it would be bigger and better and people would travel from further afield to see it.
PurpleLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2005, 11:10   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I agree with your concern Bob. I only half understand the mysterious way these fundings work (if that much). It is the same as the £1 million HLF grant that HBC is hopeing to win. If they get it then it is 'highly likely' they will also get a revenue grant to unkeep the park for 5 years.

HBC should upkeep our parks and the coppice NOW.
The only reason they are in a poor state is due to HBC neglect and poor use of our money.
I agree with you about the upkeep - HBC should upkeep our parks and coppice now but the simple fact is that they don't.

As for funding, I'm not an expert either but the way I see it is like making a line of dominoes all stood on their end. You get one, push it into the next and so on. You can't apply for the whole thing at once because each step relies on the one before it being granted or spent.
PurpleLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2005, 22:15   #34
Always EVIL within us

With all the talk about the Panopticon here over the last couple of months, I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Darwen Tower. (Apologies if I have missed a post)

When I moved up north, it was the one thing that stood out as a perfectly placed Panopticon (although 100 years ago, the term wasn't invented) It stands above Darwen/Blackburn and is viewed my thousands of motorists driving along the A56 and M65 every day.

From a certain angle, it so closely resembles a 60's rocket despite its age.

The question I must ask is after over 100 years, how much investment has it brought into county? I would guess nil!

Likewise, "OSSYWOOD" is going to bring in locals to view as soon as it hits the papers but apart from perhaps a short-term additional turnover for the local tobacconists, no one would invest serious money because of either sites of local interest.

Sorry Gayle but the whole scheme of the Panopticon stinks! There is the government (any government) that cannot find the finance for essential services but distribute millions of ££££££'s to quango's with the instructions, "spend this or don't get any next year!" They look at stupid schemes to spend their (our) money on and that is what this whole "Panopticon" scheme is about.

For those that say "Oh, If we don't spend it, we will lose it" I say, "throw it back to the government, stop wasting our money on follies!!"

It is insane that the phoenix developement is floundering, N.H.S. Dentists are on the "About to become extinct" list, I am fed up of seeing a nurse instead of a G.P. Community wardens are a threatened species, Bins are emptied fortnightly instead of weekly, There is so much wrong with our way of life and these things should be our priority! Not a so called attraction out of town that is sure to encourage more of our money into advertising and strings pulled to get other quango's to release their money............(our money)
Old 23-04-2005, 23:29   #35
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLass
The point is that people travelled to see it. If the real thing was built it would be bigger and better and people would travel from further afield to see it.
I think we just travelled (ever so slightly) because we have been interested in the whole panopticon idea. Even if people do come from further afield to see something on the Coppice, which we've already established would hardly be visible anyway, I am yet to be convinced how this could possibly benefit the town in any shape or form.

Did anyone who went to see the "Ossywood" sign actually benefit Oswaldtwistle in any way? Did any of you spend any money there? All we did was park for five minutes and take a couple of photos.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2005, 00:32   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Did anyone who went to see the "Ossywood" sign actually benefit Oswaldtwistle in any way? Did any of you spend any money there? All we did was park for five minutes and take a couple of photos.
mmm yes on the way back from visiting the 'OSSYWOOD' sign I had to nip to the hole in the wall on Union Rd and then i went to Pet Warehouse for my dogs biscuits but I do that all the time so I don't think that counts, does it ?
Old 24-04-2005, 07:37   #37
Give, give, give member

Sales of meat pies at my Brother's shop were also up at the end of the week, coincidence?

Sadly, probably yes.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2005, 13:43   #38
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
i went to Pet Warehouse for my dog biscuits but I do that all the time so I don't think that counts, does it ?
I have told you to cut down on those dog buiscuits - they are making you barking.............
Old 02-05-2005, 11:54   #39

Damn, I drove all the way over there to take a picture, and you already found it ages ago. Oh, well Im gonna stick it up anyway.

AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..