Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-07-2012, 17:59   #1
God Member

A plague of flies

A plague of flies.

Has anyone else got them?

I have swatted lots of them today (probably about 10), and even though I would love to open a window right now I can't.

A plague on all our houses: Washout summer creates perfect conditions for surge in mosquitoes, horseflies and midges | Mail Online

You have probably killed them the easy way by insecticide spray, but I can't.

I have spent the whole afternoon stalking them and am feeling paranoic about them.

I have ordered one of those electronic UV fly killers from Ebay, but until it arrives my fly swatter goes with me from room to room.

I haven't had a decent meal today yet because all my kitchen worktops need cleaning before I can prepare a meal.

There is one little blighter left to get - hope I get it before I starve

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-07-2012, 19:24   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: A plague of flies

No problem around my Gaff Margaret and my windows have been open part of the day at least
Old 19-07-2012, 19:46   #3
God Member

It must be all the dog poo in the woods at the back.

If it is 'history repeating itself' there are six more plagues to go

Plagues of Egypt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 19-07-2012, 19:56   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
A plague of flies.

I have swatted lots of them today (probably about 10), and even though I would love to open a window right now I can't.

A plague on all our houses: Washout summer creates perfect conditions for surge in mosquitoes, horseflies and midges | Mail Online

I have spent the whole afternoon stalking them and am feeling paranoic about them.

I have ordered one of those electronic UV fly killers from Ebay, but until it arrives my fly swatter goes with me from room to room.

I haven't had a decent meal today yet because all my kitchen worktops need cleaning before I can prepare a meal.

We have a net curtain across any opening during warm weather, lets fresh air in, keeps the flies out. We don't like the dirty little beggars either, nevr know where they've been paddling, saves having to spray. I also have one of those UV fly zappers, its never caught anything in two years.

Last edited by Retlaw; 19-07-2012 at 20:00.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 20:20   #5
Junior Member+

Quote:
A plague of flies.

These flies wont be killed with fly sprays, there coming from cockers, Council are onto it, this is a little about it it will soon be big news
An investigation has now been launched after residents claimed queues of lorries and diggers have begun burying waste at the former NIPA Laboratories site at Nook Lane in Oswaldtwistle. Lancashire County Council said there was no planning permission ..

jepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 20:30   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
A plague of flies.

I have spent the whole afternoon stalking them and am feeling
Sounds Like a rather strict diet,not much meat on the short legged ones.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 20:30   #7
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepster View Post
These flies wont be killed with fly sprays, there coming from cockers, Council are onto it, this is a little about it it will soon be big news
An investigation has now been launched after residents claimed queues of lorries and diggers have begun burying waste at the former NIPA Laboratories site at Nook Lane in Oswaldtwistle. Lancashire County Council said there was no planning permission ..

The source of your story??
Old 19-07-2012, 20:31   #8
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
We have a net curtain across any opening during warm weather, lets fresh air in, keeps the flies out. We don't like the dirty little beggars either, nevr know where they've been paddling, saves having to spray. I also have one of those UV fly zappers, its never caught anything in two years.
The tubes in those things do decay over years of use & should be changed at least once every two years to keep attracting the bugs (in this guide they say once every season but then, I suppose they want you to buy more of them).

Bug Zapper Troubleshooting, Repair and Maintenance

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 20:36   #9
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
The source of your story??
Umm what about PLEASE, Its been in the telegraph, also im up there everyday walking, the environment had it blocked off today, you seem not to believe me, your only a phone call away from the council, Britcliffe was onto it last week
Edit, i dont go on facebook, i dont have a account but my grand daughter tells me its all over facebook, check it out

Last edited by jepster; 19-07-2012 at 20:40.
Old 19-07-2012, 20:50   #10

I've got a hand held fly zapper, much more fun than the one on the wall.

handheld fly zapper | eBay
Old 19-07-2012, 21:17   #11
God Member

I do recall that news last week
Oswaldtwistle residents in waste tipping fury (From Lancashire Telegraph)
but thought I was too far away from it to get the swarms, but thinking about it, Cockers smells used to reach this far, so that could be the explanation.

Old 19-07-2012, 21:20   #12
Junior Member+

Quote:
I do recall that news last week
Oswaldtwistle residents in waste tipping fury (From Lancashire Telegraph)
but thought I was too far away from it to get the swarms, but thinking about it, Cockers smells used to reach this far, so that could be the explanation.
Hyndburn councillor's fly-tip pollution fears
A COUNCILLOR has spoken out about his concern that waste tipping may be polluting a watercourse.
County and borough councillor Peter Britcliffe said he had been contacted by many concerned residents over tipping of waste at the former NIPA Laboratories site at Nook Lane.
Coun Britcliffe said he and residents were concerned about the long-term environmental impact. He said: “I am calling on the Environment Agency to check out Lottice Brook in Oswaldtwistle to ensure that whatever is going on at Nipa has not polluted the Water Course. People are very concerned about this.”

Lancashire County Council said there was no planning permission in place to tip waste at the site and the Environment Agency said it was investigating reports of activity in the last few weeks.
Old 19-07-2012, 21:21   #13
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepster View Post
Umm what about PLEASE, Its been in the telegraph, also im up there everyday walking, the environment had it blocked off today, you seem not to believe me, your only a phone call away from the council, Britcliffe was onto it last week
Edit, i dont go on facebook, i dont have a account but my grand daughter tells me its all over facebook, check it out
PLEASE forgive me, why shouldn't I believe you, but as you had copied some lines from what looked a news article I though you might have posted a link...

FYI I no longer live in Accrington, look at my location, I find Accyweb a good source of info about what's going on in my home town but I don't know what's going on from week to week with Britcliffe or anyone else.
Old 19-07-2012, 21:25   #14
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I've got a hand held fly zapper, much more fun than the one on the wall.

handheld fly zapper | eBay
Yes we have one of those that look like a tennis racquet.....battery operated, it electrocute the blighters...they sizzle when you bat them.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 21:25   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
but I don't know what's going on from week to week with Britcliffe.
Don't worry, nor does he.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..