Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-10-2008, 15:44   #1
Give, give, give member

A River Runs Through It.

It's raining.

It's raining quite heavily, but not torrentially.

I suppose that's why most of us are here. The damp Lancashire climate being ideal for the working of king cotton.

We live in a wet part of the country, yet our pavements make if feel as if we live somewhere that has Monsoons.

Whichever bright spark civil engineeer, or idiotic town planner, that thought it would be a good idea to replace all our town centre pavements with these half paved, half brick, monstrosities, wants shooting.

Pavements (I wonder where all the old York stone paving slabs ended up?) used to slope away from the shop fronts, and the water would drain into the gutters. Simple.

Now we have pavements, complete with useless bollards, which must be a nightmare for those with prams or wheelchairs, which drain to the middle of the pavement. Yes they slope away from the gutter, and away from the shop fronts, which creates a river which runs down the entire length of any given pavement.

It's almost Medieval, when they had open sewers/drains running down the middle of their thoroughfares. I suppose we should count ourselves lucky that we don't have turds floating down our streets.

If anyone can see any benefit at all to these half paved/half brick pavements in Hyndburn, I'd be more than interested to hear your case.

Personally, as I attempt to dry my shoes, I'm in favour of whoever is responsible being put in the stocks at Oswaldtwistle Library...in the rain of course.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-10-2008, 15:57   #2

Unhappy Re: A River Runs Through It.

I agree, Rindy _ going up Union Road you have to do the "Ossy Hop" to avoid the puddles and streams! The gutters are the driest parts. Town planners obviously don't need to walk!
ossylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 16:02   #3
Give, give, give member

Re: A River Runs Through It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossylass View Post
Town planners obviously don't need to walk!

Perhaps they are like council leaders, who are carried in their Sedan chairs, to make sure their little feet stay dry, and their silk stockings don't get splashed.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 16:05   #4
Resting in Peace

Couldn't agree more, if I remember rightly at the time that these pavements were altered, I likened it to Dorthy's yellow brick road, I wonder who the Dorothy was, clue she is a county councillor
Old 14-10-2008, 16:40   #5
Senior Member+

I am soaking!!!!
walked from woodnook to the top of sandy lane then down to the post office, into town,to PALS then back to woodnook..... in some places you cant avoid walking in puddles, there are rivers running down the pavements on hills, its ridiculous!

doesnt help that i have a choice of 2 coats, one with a hood that wont zip up and one that will zip but doesnt have a hood lol

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 18:28   #6
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
+

It's almost Medieval, when they had open sewers/drains running down the middle of their thoroughfares. I suppose we should count ourselves lucky that we don't have turds floating down our streets.
Where stray dogs have been doing their doings we do!

Up this neck of the woods it wouldn't matter if the pavements were sloped towards the gutters because the drains are all blocked anyway. We already have some lovely water features resembling miniature fountains gushing over the grates.

Whatever happened to those trucks which used to suck up all the gunk out of the grates?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 18:49   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Couldn't agree more, if I remember rightly at the time that these pavements were altered, I likened it to Dorthy's yellow brick road, I wonder who the Dorothy was, clue she is a county councillor
Maybe she could get the Firemen to pump the water out of the puddles

Am I correct in aying that footpaths are the responsibility of Lancashire County Council?
Old 14-10-2008, 18:52   #8
Member.

Bless Mandy.....I can't comment about Hyndburn but it the same over here, not been on the Golf Course all week, won't get on tomorrow without wellies and an aqua lung.

I can remember the old days when the rain water use to poor down Willows Lane in a torrent. Happy days eh, have a thought for the old and those mothers with babies who have no option but to be out and about in it.

Incidentally, I accidently soaked some poor ****** this afternoon, I didn’t see the very large lake on Red Bank Road at Bispham, I hit it at doing about 20 miles an hour, the bow wave shot across the pavement and reached about 12 feet in height, I looked back in the mirror to see this poor individual disappear in the deluge, forgive me please whoever you may be……I didn’t laugh, honest. Well to be honest I was horrified, but I have just raise a sly simile as I write this. Sorry………….

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 18:57   #9
God Member

c'mon guys, this is just rain ... you don't have to get out and bust your butt shoveling it. Just think of it as liquid sunshine
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 18:57   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

doug mate tell the truth, ya responded like cashy would have?
Old 14-10-2008, 19:05   #11
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
doug mate tell the truth, ya responded like cashy would have?
You wet yourself too...... What a releaf I thought I was the only one.......

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 20:05   #12
Resting in Peace

The answer is quite simple really,It's all down to levels.Let me explain as best I can.
Over the years roads have been re-surfaced,but the new surface has been laid on top of the old surface thereby raising the level of the road.Pavements on the other hand are not allowed to be higher than house floor levels as they would cause a great deal of dampness.As road levels are raised then kerb levels are also raised creating a kerb level that is higher than the house floor level the only solution is a central gutter.
Hope that explained it to you.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 20:14   #13
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Did ya know too, that from now on ya have to get planning permission to pave ya garden!?

That too is because of raised water levles....no where for the water to go cus of paved gardens and concrete!
Old 14-10-2008, 20:16   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
Did ya know too, that from now on ya have to get planning permission to pave ya garden!?

That too is because of raised water levles....no where for the water to go cus of paved gardens and concrete!
Only if you pave over a certain size
Old 15-10-2008, 09:10   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Maybe she could get the Firemen to pump the water out of the puddles

Am I correct in aying that footpaths are the responsibility of Lancashire County Council?
Quite correct Neil, HBC don't even carry out work on roads and footpaths under licence to LCC now, the County do their own, I even think the the cleaning of drains and street lighting maintenanem are the sole responcibility of the County too, but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..