Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-02-2008, 07:04   #1
God Member

A step in the right direction?

I am not in favour of a return to the old licensing hours, but I am conerned at the easy availaility of alcohol to people who are under age.
Perhaps HBC, the Police and local Trading Standards could do worse than keep an eye on this proposal...

Shops and supermarkets to take strong drink off shelves - Home News, UK - Independent.co.uk
Old 24-02-2008, 08:20   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: A step in the right direction?

I think it might also be a good idea to stop selling those alcoholic drinks which look like bottles of pop (and apparently taste like bottles of pop too) - those are the ones kids seem to go for without realising how drunk they get. If things like this were just sold in off-licences and more of a check kept on who buys them it would be a good thing, IMO.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 10:37   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
I am not in favour of a return to the old licensing hours, but I am conerned at the easy availaility of alcohol to people who are under age.
Perhaps HBC, the Police and local Trading Standards could do worse than keep an eye on this proposal...

Shops and supermarkets to take strong drink off shelves - Home News, UK - Independent.co.uk
Your right Bob, it is a step in the right direction, but as you well know anyone who wants these drinks will get their hands on it anyway. During the summer you can regularly see teenagers being dropped of, on a Friday night, at the bottom of Rhyddings Street armed with a six pack of strong ale, its obvious that their parents don't give a damn, so long as their kids are out of their hair when they go out on the razzle, leaving local residents to suffer
Old 24-02-2008, 10:54   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Your right Bob, it is a step in the right direction, but as you well know anyone who wants these drinks will get their hands on it anyway. During the summer you can regularly see teenagers being dropped of, on a Friday night, at the bottom of Rhyddings Street armed with a six pack of strong ale, its obvious that their parents don't give a damn, so long as their kids are out of their hair when they go out on the razzle, leaving local residents to suffer
That is quite a bit of the problem with under age drinking
You can't always blame the people that are selling the alcohol
You can only refuse to sell alcohol to a parent that is accompanied by a child that is saying (for example) i want that 1 mum!
Obviously someone on their own buying alcohol, whether it be lager, wine, whisky, strong cider, or alcopops (I am 27 and only drink alcopops) do not make you think of under age drinking
It is what they do with it when they get home that can cause the under age drinking
AccyLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 11:40   #5

Certain shops were happy to sell kids glue to sniff so I don't they'll loose much sleep over selling kids alcohol. However on a general note 4% should be the max for beer IMHO and I notice Stella have dropped the name completely as they are so embarrassed by the bad publicity they get in the courts.
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 14:40   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

personally dont think thats the answer, someone said thats a start i think not,theres a big % of the younger folk sup alcopops, which consumed at a great rate can cause havoc to the public, i think the most effective deterant for underage drinking would be to suspend the license of the seller, for a year or summat, then if they do it again,withdraw completely. to me supermarkets offering to take certain drinks off the shelf is just a sop to the powers that be.
Old 24-02-2008, 16:00   #7

As to the take alcopops off the shelf argument - have a listen to this XD

Can't beat Lancashire Hotpots
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 21:18   #8
God Member

dont forget cheecky vimto's

i think thats where the barman serves you a glass of vimto then tells you that you have a fat arse

blue wkd and port if you havnt tried it
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 09:05   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
personally dont think thats the answer, someone said thats a start i think not,theres a big % of the younger folk sup alcopops, which consumed at a great rate can cause havoc to the public, i think the most effective deterant for underage drinking would be to suspend the license of the seller, for a year or summat, then if they do it again,withdraw completely. to me supermarkets offering to take certain drinks off the shelf is just a sop to the powers that be.
I don't know cashy but I bet that you were just like me when a teenager, I admit that I had a few sherbets at weekends before I was 18, but I never made a nuisance of myself nor did any of my mates. Middle Bar at Accy Con on Sat and Mon nights, Bay Horse in Ossy on a Friday then home after Mother and Father had gone to bed, a good night had by all and no one else offended or annoyed, but what's happening now is ridicules, yet you never hear of annoy one being done for drinking under age, you did in m day
Old 25-02-2008, 10:03   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post

I have heard this during my time in Accy from local residents in the Area I am in but if I am honest it was an issue ten years ago when I was a teenager and nothing has changed.

.. "The more u see the less u know. The less u find out as u go." 'Sir Bono'

WalkOnBRFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 10:41   #11
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

kids have always been able to get booze, so shops getting rid of strong booze is not gonna do owt IMO
Old 25-02-2008, 10:52   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

It is action against the ones causing trouble we need. Hitting the shops is yet another soft target. I used to drink under age and hand about of the street but I did not cause the trouble we now see.

Deal with the offenders, it is the only way.

Blaming the shop owners would be like blaming the football manufacturers because some kid has just smashed your window with a football.
Old 25-02-2008, 10:59   #13
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It is action against the ones causing trouble we need. Hitting the shops is yet another soft target. I used to drink under age and hand about of the street but I did not cause the trouble we now see.

Deal with the offenders, it is the only way.

Same here, the difference now is Neil is that they only get a slapped wrist, while back then we didnt do anything wrong, probably because we where to scared of the consequences, also we had R E S P E C T !!

which is not seen anymore
Old 25-02-2008, 12:18   #14

The youth of today: sober, sensible and austere - but still not ready for M&S | Society | The Guardian

.. "The more u see the less u know. The less u find out as u go." 'Sir Bono'

WalkOnBRFC is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..