Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-11-2007, 22:32   #16
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: A Teddy Bear Called ...............

This poor lady was, in my opinion, being a very good teacher. The teddy bear idea is similar to one that my granddaughter's school has. Each class has a soft toy and children are chosen on merit (not just work, behaviour as well) to take it home and write about what they did with it. It encourages them to plan activities and helps their essay writing skills, plus of course they do their best to be the one who gets to take it home.

So this woman let the children decide what to call their teddy and Mohammed was their favourite name. How, in the name of Allah, is that offensive to the Prophet? It sounds as though some idiot got the notion - hey, the infidel is insulting Mohammed - and the rest have followed like sheep. Isn't that how jihad gets off the ground?

It's 20 years since I was in Saudi Arabia but that was the most racist place I've ever been to. Perhaps racist isn't the correct word, shall I say religionist? They would not tolerate the practising of any religion other than Islam and the Lebanese we lived among (my husband was working for a Lebanese company), who were mostly devout Christians, had to have an "underground" priest, an engineer in his day job, who held mass in people's homes. If he had been discovered he would, at the very least, have been thrown out of the country. They allowed Christmas cards to be sold but they couldn't have the word Christmas on them - they said Happy Holiday - and they couldn't depict the nativity.

If this country treated a Muslim from Sudan the way this lady has been treated there would be uproar and international repercussions. Why isn't the British Government going in with guns blazing? Oh yes, I forgot, we are so tolerant, aren't we?
Accrington Web
Old 26-11-2007, 22:36   #17
Senior Member+

mohammed is a very popular name... just like jesus is popular in spain... i can honestly say, as a catholic, that i wouldnt be bothered if she called it jesus.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2007, 22:37   #18
Resident Waffler

Until recently I have had a lot of respect for Islam but things like this just undermine all that.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2007, 22:40   #19
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
mohammed is a very popular name... just like jesus is popular in spain... i can honestly say, as a catholic, that i wouldnt be bothered if she called it jesus.
Jesus wasn't an uncommon name in Biblical times either. The thief who was released was called Jesus bar Abbas (normally referred to simply as Barrabas). Jesus is referred to in the NT as Jesus of Nazareth or Jesus bar Joseph to identify him specifically from others with the same name.

I wonder if there were other people called Mohammed around the time of the prophet?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2007, 22:47   #20
Resting in Peace

Hilarious .. come home Gillian where you belong. How anybody can threaten people with jail for naming a stuffed toy after a 'non-existent god' such as Mohammed is beyond my belief. There again, I am an atheist, and always find these type of issues very, very sad and misguided.

Mmmm . have a little stuffed toy somewhere in the house .. think I will christen him Jesus !! Can I expect the Christian mafia at my door in the morning ..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2007, 22:50   #21
Senior Member+

yes katex..... we will be there at 7

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 26-11-2007, 22:51   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
yes katex..... we will be there at 7
Well, may your god be with you .. I prefer Humans ... x
Old 26-11-2007, 22:52   #23
Passed away 25-11-09

If it's insulting to call a teddy bear Mohammed, why isn't it insulting to give your son that name?

Incidentally, the name Jesus is the Greek translation of the Hebrew name Joshua so every little boy named Joshua is really a Jesus.
Old 26-11-2007, 22:53   #24
Senior Member+

good job your address isnt up... you would have jehovahs witnesses round!

Old 26-11-2007, 22:55   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Ah well, gotta' admire a tryer ..nowt wrong with that.
Old 26-11-2007, 22:57   #26
God Member

The thing that puzzles me is this happened in September, has it taken nearly three months for the parents to get offended? In another reprt it said a colleague had complained which sounds more likely to me.
Old 26-11-2007, 23:11   #27

Something that has always baffled me, is that lots of us go through life having our names shortened or altered i.e. Phillip to Phil, William to Bill, Margaret to Marge etc. No offence is taken. Similar with our nationalities, the Welsh are Taffs, the Scottish are Scots, English are Limeys… I don’t see major offence ever being taken at such terminology until it comes to the Pakki’s, what the hell is their problem????

Not completely on topic I know, forgive me for that
Old 26-11-2007, 23:12   #28
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:

Funnily enough we had them round on Saturday. There were 6 very young girls (no more than 16 years old), in pairs, going up and down our road in the pouring rain, looking thoroughly miserable and soaked to the skin. They were accompanied by 2 middle aged women and I felt like yelling at them to get the kids home before they got pneumonia.
Old 26-11-2007, 23:53   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Funnily enough we had them round on Saturday. There were 6 very young girls (no more than 16 years old), in pairs, going up and down our road in the pouring rain, looking thoroughly miserable and soaked to the skin. They were accompanied by 2 middle aged women and I felt like yelling at them to get the kids home before they got pneumonia.
Their god before their kids I guess..
Old 26-11-2007, 23:54   #30
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
There were 6 very young girls (no more than 16 years old), in pairs, going up and down our road in the pouring rain, looking thoroughly miserable and soaked to the skin.
Did you do the Christian thing and invite them in to dry off and have a nice hot cuppa?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..