Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-11-2007, 00:33   #31
Senior Member+

Re: A Teddy Bear Called ...............

mohammed must be hammered into these young children from a very early age , and must have been the first thing that springs to mind. but why should the teacher get fourty lashes or imprisonment for it? after all it was it was there children that named it .how would sudan react if britain did the same to a sudanise commiting a crime over here? totally over the top!
david1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-11-2007, 00:43   #32
white rabbits

I bet she wishes she had called it Rupert,
Old 27-11-2007, 01:25   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Jesus wasn't an uncommon name in Biblical times either. The thief who was released was called Jesus bar Abbas (normally referred to simply as Barrabas). Jesus is referred to in the NT as Jesus of Nazareth or Jesus bar Joseph to identify him specifically from others with the same name.
sorry for the thread wander , but do you, or anyone else happen to know the names of the two other guys who were crucified alongside Jesus, are their names mentioned anywhere in the Bible or any other Bible , e.g. Orthodox , Coptic etc. something I have allways wondered about , thanks
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 03:35   #34
Yank in King Art's Court!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
sorry for the thread wander , but do you, or anyone else happen to know the names of the two other guys who were crucified alongside Jesus, are their names mentioned anywhere in the Bible or any other Bible , e.g. Orthodox , Coptic etc. something I have allways wondered about , thanks
I don't believe they are mentioned by name Jack. Just that He was crucified along with two thieves.

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 04:09   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
I don't believe they are mentioned by name Jack. Just that He was crucified along with two thieves.

Brian
Got me into doing a bit of a search and came up with this , the two thieves were named Dismas and Gestas
Saint Dismas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

a bit of useless info that may come in useful in a pub quiz

apologies for the thread wander folks

back to the original subject , maybe if the teacher had remembered she was British and not tried 'going native' and named the Bear Rupert all this fuss have been avoided

Last edited by steeljack; 27-11-2007 at 04:12.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 08:10   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
mohammed is a very popular name... just like jesus is popular in spain... i can honestly say, as a catholic, that i wouldnt be bothered if she called it jesus.
Jesus is a popular name in hispanic countries. There is even an appropriate joke (thank god the hispanic people have a sense of humor): "Hey, if Jesus was Jewish, how come he have a Mexican name." Major league baseball has had great players whose first name was Jesus.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 09:03   #37
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Hilarious .. come home Gillian where you belong. How anybody can threaten people with jail for naming a stuffed toy after a 'non-existent god' such as Mohammed is beyond my belief. There again, I am an atheist, and always find these type of issues very, very sad and misguided.

Mmmm . have a little stuffed toy somewhere in the house .. think I will christen him Jesus !! Can I expect the Christian mafia at my door in the morning ..
I bet she wishes she could come home. Nothing mildly amusing about the possibility of facing 40 lashes.

BTW Mohammed wasn't a God (real or nimaginary) he was a human being who declared himself to be a prophet of God. He wasn't the only person ever to have had that name so to make the assumption that a teddy bear called Mohammed is being named after the prophet is a dangerous assumption. To the children who chose the name it would probably jsut be another name by which some of their playmates are called (even if the parents did name them in honour of the prophet. It's OK to give the name to people but not toys or animals.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Something that has always baffled me, is that lots of us go through life having our names shortened or altered i.e. Phillip to Phil, William to Bill, Margaret to Marge etc. No offence is taken. Similar with our nationalities, the Welsh are Taffs, the Scottish are Scots, English are Limeys… I don’t see major offence ever being taken at such terminology until it comes to the Pakki’s, what the hell is their problem????

Not completely on topic I know, forgive me for that
I think it's because it has been used with the intention of being racially derogatory like the 'n' word or the 'w' word which are banned here on this forum because they are seen as racially offensive. The amusing thing is that the 'p' word is often used by Pakistani people themselves. A couple of years ago someone was banned from this forum for using it even though it wasn't meant in a derogatory way. It's just a PC minefield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
They are not actually named in the Bible but then again the Bible is only a selection of writings which were chosen and collated together. There are other gospel centred books which were at one time included and then excluded. There are some which are classed as "The Apocrypha" and appear in some Bibles but not in others, and just to complicate it even further not all Apocrypha contain the same books - that's before we get onto the books which never even made it into an apocrypha but are often referred to as apocryphal, and then there are yet other which have been discovered later and are disputed by some scholars.

Thus we have 'traditional names' which may or may not be the actual names - bit like Caspar, Melchior and Balthazar for the 3 wise men (or kings according to some traditions) who brought gifts to the Christ Child (who wasn't born on December 25th)

So it depends where you look for information. According to one apocryphal book the good thief was called Titus and he first shows up when Mary and Joseph are fleeing into Egypt with the baby Jesus to escape Herod's 'slaughter of the innocents'. He supposedly stopped other thieves from robbing the holy family. That story refers to the other thief as Dumachus.

But then again even in the canonical Gospels we get one person being referred to by different names (Dorcas being a classic example) depending on who is writing about them.

The names according to the Russian Orthodox church are Dismas for the good guy and Gestas for the bad guy. Interestingly the French name Dumas (as in Alexandre Dumas who actually called Dumas Davy de la Pailleterie ) is supposedly derived from Dismas.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 11:04   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post

Brian
When you are in Kingston, viist the Church of the Good Thief, built from stone quarried by the prisoners at Kingston Penitentiary in the nineteeth century. And for a name, try St. Dismas, the good thief, or the penitent thief.
Old 27-11-2007, 19:53   #39
God Member

The Church of the Good thief is a beautiful little gem. In the roof tiles there are images of three crosses. The Church of the Good Thief, Kingston, Ontario And if any of you are lucky enough to visit our city, it is well worth a look. It is situated in the Village of Portsmouth, close to the Portsmouth Olympic Harbor, and the Ports Tavern, a great little pub where even a Brit will feel at home. Sorry for the wander, but, who knows, there maybe a bear called Jesus inside. That is, inside the church, not the pub.
Old 28-11-2007, 11:09   #40
white rabbits

Thank God ,,oops i mean Goodness ,common sense prevails,,, All charges have been dropped,,,
Old 28-11-2007, 12:59   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
Thank God ,,oops i mean Goodness ,common sense prevails,,, All charges have been dropped,,,
should think so, a 7 yr old child in the class said he asked for the teddy to be named after him,not the prophet. it still begs the question to me- WHY do people go out to these places? everyone knows the score with these crazy places, while the people may be deserving, the religious crackpots that govern them, certainly are NOT.
Old 28-11-2007, 13:07   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
should think so, a 7 yr old child in the class said he asked for the teddy to be named after him,not the prophet. it still begs the question to me- WHY do people go out to these places? everyone knows the score with these crazy places, while the people may be deserving, the religious crackpots that govern them, certainly are NOT.
What places? You wouldn't be talking about the US would you
Old 28-11-2007, 15:20   #43
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
where ya got that info granny? just watched sky news, n shes been charged
Old 28-11-2007, 17:51   #44
Resident Waffler

I was just going to say that Cashy. She faces sentencing tomorrow.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 18:02   #45
God Member

I just read the article in the "Telegraph" on line. And that seems to suggest that she is off the hook. Maybe the news on Sky is more current, or maybe there are conflicting reports.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..