Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2008, 09:35   #31
God Member

Re: Abbey Street uniform shop - drug using equipment?

There are addictive substances available without prescription in chemists and supermarkets.
Benylin cough syrup is an example.
http://www.jabfm.org/cgi/content/full/19/3/320
Also what about glue? - that is deadly and appears to have faded from headlines lately.

Last edited by MargaretR; 03-09-2008 at 09:39.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-09-2008, 09:47   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

theres a few addictive substances on sale glue as you say being one, glue though aint n illegal substance, theres only one real use for these implements n it aint fer putting glue in.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:54   #33
God Member

Shisha pipes are for flavoured tobacco - if some people use them for smoking other things that is their choice.

If you take this argument to extremes you would avoid all shops selling Rizla papers

Old 03-09-2008, 10:47   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Shisha pipes are for flavoured tobacco - if some people use them for smoking other things that is their choice.

If you take this argument to extremes you would avoid all shops selling Rizla papers
thought you were doing that.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:53   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thought you were doing that.
I smoke tobacco roll ups - I do avoid all shops - get my Rizlas on line like everything else

Old 03-09-2008, 12:13   #36
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I smoke tobacco roll ups
I know, its funny isn't it that AccyWebs very own body purist pollutes her own by smoking and drinking?
Old 03-09-2008, 12:23   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I know, its funny isn't it that AccyWebs very own body purist pollutes her own by smoking and drinking?
Roll ups are pure tobacco with no artificial additives
It is the petrochemical additions in products which I devoutly avoid.

I am no angel - though my list of vices is now limited by age.

Old 03-09-2008, 13:54   #38
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Roll ups are pure tobacco with no artificial additives
So that makes them a healthy option then does it?
Old 03-09-2008, 14:05   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
So that makes them a healthy option then does it?
No - but addicted to nicotine for 50 years

I have always admired the ecologically friendly way of life of the North American Native Peoples

Old 03-09-2008, 14:28   #40
Resident Waffler

Right. I have been to the Abbey Street shop and spoken to one of the owners. He was a bit surprised at the idea of anything on sale in his shop being any more connected to drug abuse than anything on sale anywhere else in Accrington. He asked me to show him what was being referred to.

I must admit I had to have a good look before I actually found the items but then again Mick will tell you how observant I'm not. So I pointed out the cigarette papers and lighters and quite rightly he said there is nothing wrong with selling those. They are perfectly legal, I did mention that some of the lighters have a cannabis leaf image on them. I also pointed out 2 or 3 "rasta" ashtrays which have a smoking man and the odd cannabis leaf decoration implying that the man is smoking cannabis. He pointed out that similar ashtrays have been on sale in the local pound shops. I then pointed to the grinders which have been stated are for grinding up cannabis and he said he cannot control what people grind up in them but they are actually tobacco grinders and some of his customers use them to grind herbs which again is not illegal or drugs. I've got a similar shaped wooden grinder which is actually for chopping/grinding herbs. He was really puzzled that anybody would associate any of these things with drugs as he only associates them with legal tobacco. He asked my advice and I told him about this thread on the website and also suggested he might like to contact the schools and see if they do have any objections to these things being sold in the same store where the uniforms are sold. He also wondered if he should contact the council for advice.

He asked me if I knew the person who had made the original complaint on here and I told him that I do not. He would appreciate it if you would call into the shop eattothebeat and talk to him personally about this.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 15:05   #41
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Well done Willow. I like it when someone actually finds out what is really going on instead of making assumptions
Old 03-09-2008, 15:14   #42
God Member

Tried giving ya karma Willow, for taking the time to go and find out

Will try again tomorra, apparently I gave too much out recently
Old 03-09-2008, 16:21   #43
God Member

I've given you some - I thought the complaint was a bit OTT as you can tell by my earlier posts here.

Old 03-09-2008, 16:40   #44
Resident Waffler

Thank you

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 17:39   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Right. I have been to the Abbey Street shop and spoken to one of the owners. He was a bit surprised at the idea of anything on sale in his shop being any more connected to drug abuse than anything on sale anywhere else in Accrington. He asked me to show him what was being referred to.

I must admit I had to have a good look before I actually found the items but then again Mick will tell you how observant I'm not. So I pointed out the cigarette papers and lighters and quite rightly he said there is nothing wrong with selling those. They are perfectly legal, I did mention that some of the lighters have a cannabis leaf image on them. I also pointed out 2 or 3 "rasta" ashtrays which have a smoking man and the odd cannabis leaf decoration implying that the man is smoking cannabis. He pointed out that similar ashtrays have been on sale in the local pound shops. I then pointed to the grinders which have been stated are for grinding up cannabis and he said he cannot control what people grind up in them but they are actually tobacco grinders and some of his customers use them to grind herbs which again is not illegal or drugs. I've got a similar shaped wooden grinder which is actually for chopping/grinding herbs. He was really puzzled that anybody would associate any of these things with drugs as he only associates them with legal tobacco. He asked my advice and I told him about this thread on the website and also suggested he might like to contact the schools and see if they do have any objections to these things being sold in the same store where the uniforms are sold. He also wondered if he should contact the council for advice.

He asked me if I knew the person who had made the original complaint on here and I told him that I do not. He would appreciate it if you would call into the shop eattothebeat and talk to him personally about this.

So in other words he`s not bothered........? but well done for confronting him...........

Last edited by pipinfort; 03-09-2008 at 17:42.
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..