Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-06-2008, 21:14   #1
Resting In Peace

About Primark

i have just been watching a program about India making garments for primark for as little as 7p a garment, now we no way they can sell them so cheep.
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-06-2008, 21:36   #2

Re: About Primark

Didn’t see the prog tosh, forgot about it. I wanted to watch it too.

Seems we all want a good deal thesedays, unfortunately someone has to be abused in some way to feed our greed. At least thats what the "High Street" names would have us think. It has nothing to do with their greed for profit.

My own opinion is that Primark knew or must have suspected that this was going on.
Old 23-06-2008, 21:42   #3
God Member

It would be rather interesting to know how much M&S, Umbro, Addidas and the like, Pay for the goods they sell at extortionate prices on the high street?
I know the intellectual property rights make a difference but I'ts still a rip off.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 21:51   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
It would be rather interesting to know how much M&S, Umbro, Addidas and the like, Pay for the goods they sell at extortionate prices on the high street?
I know the intellectual property rights make a difference but I'ts still a rip off.
royboy there was a program on about m@s a bit back thy was having there garments made in India a well on the cheep.
pam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 21:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
The items will most likely be made in similar type sweat shops. Of course, when asked, they will be oblivious to any such knowledge should it happen to be true.

I suggest that most of the High Street chains know exactly what is going on. I suggest that consumers also know. We just turn a blind eye to the situation.

Old 23-06-2008, 22:03   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
The items will most likely be made in similar type sweat shops. Of course, when asked, they will be oblivious to any such knowledge should it happen to be true.

I suggest that most of the High Street chains know exactly what is going on. I suggest that consumers also know. We just turn a blind eye to the situation.

reckon thats about right, the sanctimonious gits will say we shouldn't be buying from these people, the practicality is we have our own finances to worry about, its the "Governments" where these sweatshops exist have the "Real Responsibilty" if anything should be done, simple as.
Old 24-06-2008, 00:13   #7
Senior Member+

i think its the whole we outsource the contracts to outside firms and as such we werent aware thing - its their get out clause to avoid anyone sayin there's a direct connection corporately speaking.

the only thing is its fair enough to go on about closing such places but then the ppl who ur trying to help will be left poorer and just move onto else where. there should be more governing and more fairtrade. its inevitable u will ahve 8 yr olds workin in such places - u shudnt but there will be - instead of just goin over and sayin shut these places down companies should be made to finance a few classes a week for the underaged
Old 24-06-2008, 00:16   #8
God Member

if they are only getting 7p a garment shouldnt the real question be why are we not getting stuff cheaper?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 00:59   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
if they are only getting 7p a garment shouldnt the real question be why are we not getting stuff cheaper?
Are you a Conservative?

Anyone who watched the series Blood, Sweat and T-Shirts will know that this happens with expensive designer labels too, not just cheap high street clothes. They'd also know that shops like Primark that stop doing business with sweat shops end up adding to the poverty of countries like India because jobs are lost.

Vicious circle but it isn't easily solved, so unfortunately I'm feeling more tempted to say that it would be better for Primark to have continued business with the place than cut ties completely.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 07:16   #10
Beacon of light

This topic has been covered in a recent thread and most of these points were raised in that particular thread.
The thread was :-
Primark......do you, or don't you.........?
Check it out.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 07:30   #11
God Member

it was also mentioned in that programme last night that GAP do they same slave labour thing too as do certain other designer labels, it mainly targeted primark though and made them look like fools, it makes me wonder why they didnt go more into how GAP use slave labour and the other designer clothes companies....was it fear of being sued for millions?
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 07:32   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
reckon thats about right, the sanctimonious gits will say we shouldn't be buying from these people, the practicality is we have our own finances to worry about, its the "Governments" where these sweatshops exist have the "Real Responsibilty" if anything should be done, simple as.
How very free market of you.
Old 24-06-2008, 08:08   #13
Beacon of light

The thing about Primark using indian labour is that they are giving these people jobs and allowing them to support their families......and remember what seems like a paltry wage to us, is acceptable to them because their cost of living is different.......we couldn't survive on this wage in THIS country....but they can because their cost of living is different.
I think if you are on a very tight budget, then you buy what you can afford.....where ever it comes from...if you are not well off then you can't afford the luxury of fine principles.
(now duck and wait for negative karma)
It will be destroyed by those who stand by and do Nothing.
(a paraphrase on a quote by Albert Einstein)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 08:21   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Yes but they could double it to 14p, would we really notice an extra 7p on a T shirt?

Neil sits back and waits for Accywebs economists to explain by doing it we would cause massive inflation in India.
Old 24-06-2008, 08:55   #15
Resting in Peace

I's a case of your damned if you do damned if you don't, I watched the program last night, and its the people who are contracted to companies like Primark who contract out to children working at home. The thing is that if these kids didn't work they'd starve, but that doesn't make it right. The same thing applies if people over here stop buying goods from Primark, and one of the guys from far trade abroad, who said if people stopped buying from these firms it would put more people into poverty, its just a visious circle with no esy answers

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..