Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-11-2009, 00:22   #1
Full Member+

Accrington Beer festival

Just a thought..C.A.M.R.A. (the campaign for real ale folk) held a beer festival in Accy a couple of years ago, after it was ousted by the wonderful council from my hometown (Blackburn) for financial reasons. (i.e. the council were charging them too much to hold it in King Georges Hall).

It always seemed to be held in the back end of the year (when in Blackburn) and as I remember it was November '05 or maybe '06 the last time it was at Accy town hall.

Anyone got any idea why, after being held at Accy Town Hall, albeit a couple of years ago, it also disappeared from the radar of anybody who enjoys the taste of finer brewed hops???

I suspect Cashy or Wynonie might be able to shed some light on this???

I also think this event might have been ditched (due to rent costs from Hyndburn B.C) and may sadly echo the plight of all our pubs going to the wall. Not being a member of C.A.M.R.A. I'd be interested to know.

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-11-2009, 09:14   #2
Super Moderator

Re: Accrington Beer festival

Strange though it may seem, Carpon, I don't bother with beer festivals as a rule. Standing around in some civic pile, listening to bearded blokes in polo neck sweaters discuss specific gravities and hop content is not my idea of fun. Good ale is meant to be drunk in the convivial surroundings of a decent pub, enjoying the craic with your mates or whoever happens to be propping up the bar. Sadly, though, as you say, there are less and less of these fine establishments around.
Old 15-11-2009, 09:19   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

never been my bag at all Carpon,sorry mate. plus knackered now n can't drink no more.
Old 15-11-2009, 09:40   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Strange though it may seem, Carpon, I don't bother with beer festivals as a rule. Standing around in some civic pile, listening to bearded blokes in polo neck sweaters discuss specific gravities and hop content is not my idea of fun. Good ale is meant to be drunk in the convivial surroundings of a decent pub, enjoying the craic with your mates or whoever happens to be propping up the bar. Sadly, though, as you say, there are less and less of these fine establishments around.
Just google Kingston Brew Pub, and you just might find somewhere you may feel at home.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 09:47   #5
Super Moderator

Yeah, looks a decent watering hole, Eric. The Dragon's Breath sounds favourite. Think I might have problems with the last bus home, though.
Old 15-11-2009, 10:01   #6
Resting in Peace

This should save time.http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ale-40493.html

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 10:29   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yeah, looks a decent watering hole, Eric. The Dragon's Breath sounds favourite. Think I might have problems with the last bus home, though.
That's the trouble with you Wynonie you've no sense of adventure mate, if you miss thebus walk it
Old 16-11-2009, 05:19   #8
God Member

Quote:
Do what I used to do ... six penneth of chips, and hoof it .... you can get the chips at the Pilot House just around the corner.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 03:53   #9
God Member

There is a brilliant annual beer festival in Lancaster (falls in March) that has a great selection of ales and usually has on a nice band to provide entertainment. I didn't go last year as I had put myself on a drinking ban but the year before there was an absolutely wonderful band that played a mix of jazz, blues and a bit of rock n' roll and it was a brilliant atmosphere.

The best bit was that, being a relatively approachable person who smiles a lot, when the gents were leaving they'd hand me their tokens that they weren't going to be using so I'd have a pretty much cheap night (after paying £5 for my entrance and pint glass)

The glasses are really nice as well for a bit of a keepsake, and a must for anyone who collects glassware from the different ales and festivals. I'm really disappointed that I didn't go last year. Fortunately there is a pretty good selection of ales all year round in Lancaster and two of our college bars on campus have been in the Good Beer Guide. On campus we also host beer festivals through the year.

I agree with Wynonie though, nowt like sitting in the John O'Gaunt in Lancaster with a pint and a game of Scrabble underway. My idea of a great night!
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..