Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-06-2015, 12:43   #1
ash
Junior Member+

Accrington buses....all in one place.

Geek alert!!!

I've spent years hunting down various pictures of the old blue and red Accrington Corporation Transport buses. They were just sitting on my hardrive not doing anything so decided to put a Facebook page together so they can all be in one place for the nostalgia. There are many bus pictures still missing so if you have any that aren't featured feel free to add them!!

Just type in

Accrington Corporation Transport buses

or follow the link

https://www.facebook.com/groups/737513103031889/#

If anybody is concerned with the copyright of one of their photos please let me know and I will remove it or give full credit. I'm not trying to steal anybodies artistic right just think it's nice to have all the pics in one place.
ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-06-2015, 13:22   #2
God Member

Re: Accrington buses....all in one place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash View Post
Geek alert!!!

I've spent years hunting down various pictures of the old blue and red Accrington Corporation Transport buses. They were just sitting on my hardrive not doing anything so decided to put a Facebook page together so they can all be in one place for the nostalgia. There are many bus pictures still missing so if you have any that aren't featured feel free to add them!!
Great pics there, bud. I lived on Rishton Road, just up from Bayley St. where the No. 1 bus turned around before stopping at the Forts, from where it headed out for the Black Dog. Used to ride that bus twice a day when I was going to school ... and later when heading off to Accy for a few pints at the Junction and, later, the New Brewery ... it was part of my life; just took it for granted. Seem to remember reading that the color scheme was a memorial to the "Pals", and the black fenders were a symbol of mourning.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 13:52   #3
Senior Member+

Nice collection there Ash.
A lot of the buses were running before I came to Accrington so it was nice to see what they looked like.
I drove Accrington buses for three weeks in 1969 but sitting alone in the half cab with bells ringing in my ears and people wanting me to stop just when I got it up to speed drove me crackers.
I finally threw my jacket at the inspector on a Saturday night and said I would bring the trousers back later. End of job
Old 15-06-2015, 13:58   #4
Super Moderator

Brilliant...just brilliant. Been waiting for a group like this for years.

Just sent a request to join your group.

Cheers from a fellow Accy Corporation bus geek!
Old 15-06-2015, 14:55   #5
Beacon of light

I always thought Accrington buses looked very smart...regal almost.
Alas I cannot access the pictures(sigh).......I do not belong to Facebook
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 15:26   #6

Brilliant Ash - Will have a good reminisce tonight.

there is a good one documenting the old fire engines too - not sure if I found this via accyweb or not, but well worth another posting via the link below.....

accrington
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 17:18   #7
ash
Junior Member+

Eric, I read that too about the colours being used to mark the Accrington Pals but there is actually no evidence of this. Be nice if it was. Gremlin, I've had the most amazing job for the last 17 years (as someone will ask - I work for Manchester United as a cameraman for MUTV) but yet I'd love to go back to 1969 and swap jobs with you. Will one day drive a PD2 or similar!!!! Margaret, get signed up haha. Smobile, I'll have a look for that, cheers.
ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 17:24   #8
Senior Member+

I know who you work for Ash and I still have the program you gave me after the European cup. I told you I didn't want it for selling.
I retired in 1998 but hadn't driven a bus or coach since 1969.
I did coach tours for Batty Holt in 64/65. We did Italian Reveria.
I drove for Standerwicks on the Gay Hostess double deck coaches in the London job from Burnley or Blackpool.
I passed my test for PSV on a PD 2 with crash box and vacuum brakes.
The three weeks in Accy buses was a nightmare with the old Guys with Gardner engines all clapped out.

Last edited by Gremlin; 15-06-2015 at 17:29.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 19:20   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smobile View Post
Brilliant Ash - Will have a good reminisce tonight.

there is a good one documenting the old fire engines too - not sure if I found this via accyweb or not, but well worth another posting via the link below.....

accrington
Bloody ell. Ive driven practically every one of them, in fact I did my initial T.L. Training on DB300, last I saw of her she was in a museum in London, had a word with the curator as there was some wrong info on the display board, he said your the 2nd Acc fireman to complain, John Kelly had been in the week before, I'd forgotton about some of the bread vans we were lumbered with, thats what we used to call some of the emergency tenders, they were as much use as a bread van.
smobile likes this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 19:27   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash View Post
Eric, I read that too about the colours being used to mark the Accrington Pals but there is actually no evidence of this. Be nice if it was. Gremlin, I've had the most amazing job for the last 17 years (as someone will ask - I work for Manchester United as a cameraman for MUTV) but yet I'd love to go back to 1969 and swap jobs with you. Will one day drive a PD2 or similar!!!! Margaret, get signed up haha. Smobile, I'll have a look for that, cheers.
You can take it from me that the colour scheme for them buses was a reminder of the Accy Pals, Heroes one and all.
Margaret. Facebook is not there to be feared you don't even have to sign in to have a look, and you can be selective as to what you join, you can even start your own group how about (Woodnook Wiches).
cashman and Eric like this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 19:50   #11
Beacon of light

I do not fear Facebook, I just don't wish to be part of it.
And I used the link and it notified me that I must sign in to see the pics.
I lived in the era when these buses were on the road....I can remember them well.
Gremlin likes this.
Old 15-06-2015, 21:17   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
You can take it from me that the colour scheme for them buses was a reminder of the Accy Pals, Heroes one and all.
Margaret. Facebook is not there to be feared you don't even have to sign in to have a look, and you can be selective as to what you join, you can even start your own group how about (Woodnook Wiches).
Retlaw ... thas wastin' thi time. She's bull-headed As my gran used to say: "Hoo's so stubborn hoo'll dig in er 'eels reet up to th'elbows."
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 21:30   #13
Senior Member+

The late Robert Rush, whose book 'Accrington's Public Transport 1886-1986' I published in 2000 could find no official confirmation of the choice of livery but was of the opinion that it was linked to the colours of the East Lancs Regt and the memory of the Pals. The buses replaced the corporation's trams in 1928 and it was a surprise that the buses were in a different livery from that of the red and cream trams
Gremlin likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 15:26   #14
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Retlaw ... thas wastin' thi time. She's bull-headed As my gran used to say: "Hoo's so stubborn hoo'll dig in er 'eels reet up to th'elbows."
No Eric, not stubborn in this respect....Though Lord knows I can be when I have a mind to.
I am just being sensible about what I spend my time on.
Social media holds very little interest for me......it isn't useful to me....I don't need it.....and in most instances it is facile and shallow.(note...I did say 'most')
Old 16-06-2015, 15:43   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Are you sure it wasn't the Preston Pals?

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..