Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2018, 13:58   #1
Senior Member+

Accrington is Dead!

I came here after months of absence and it seems the forum is dead! When I had my "legalise cannabis" thread there was a lot of heated debate - in contrast to today!

It's in the paper today about a sick child who's illness is completely helped by medicinal cannabis but this government won't let her have it legally! That's ridiculous

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/uk/charlo...nnabis-oil-fo/

I've been attacked on this site for mentioning cannabis and certain people who know who they are, are censoring this forum, they have harassed me to stop me even mentioning cannabis...
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-06-2018, 14:21   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Accrington is Dead!

There is a vast difference between medicinal cannabis and the stuff that people use for recreational purposes...and I am sure that you know this.

The child in this story is a boy called Billy who had a prescription from a GP for the last 19 months....so it has been administered under medical supervision.

The cannabis you are advocating the use of is something entirely different.
I think if you feel you have been harassed then you need to speak to one of the mods...unless you think they are responsible for harassing you.
You can mention what you want (as long as it is within the rules)...but the fact that many people did not agree with your viewpoint is unpalatable to you....and the nature of any forum is that you have to be prepared to accept that others may hold different opinions.

If Accyweb is dead, what are you doing here?
dotti34 likes this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 11-06-2018 at 14:25.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 14:28   #3
Beacon of light

Yes...Accrington, the town, is very close to death....but so are many northern industrial towns.
Old 11-06-2018, 14:30   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

All forums go dead, get busy etc etc, its called life, if i was being harassed or thought i was, then i would probably ask myself why.
Old 11-06-2018, 15:07   #5
Beacon of light

Cashy, you once taught me a very valuable lesson.
That is...you can't put sense where there is none.
I wonder if that applies in this case.
You would have to NEED sense to promote the recreational use and legalisation of cannabis.
cashman likes this.
Old 11-06-2018, 16:47   #6

This topic was flogged to death several years ago. I think Kestrelx wants to keep banging on about it until everyone agrees with him.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ugs-55943.html
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 16:55   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

It was Michael and who started back then?
Old 11-06-2018, 17:11   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes...Accrington, the town, is very close to death....but so are many northern industrial towns.
The reasons for that are many . The rise of the internet shopping phenomenon being one. I can click on something and have it delivered to my home as quick as the following day. The price and the choice will be better than local shops. Maplins is a recent casualty of this.
There is also the out of town shopping areas, where people can go and park and walk freely around looking at the various stores,, all in one place.
Don't get me wrong it saddens me greatly to see Accrington as it is today, as Margaret said it isn't just our town that is dying.
We will all have our ideas about where things went wrong, where we lost the sense of community that a thriving town brings. For me it was the demolition of the 60's open market which was thriving every Saturday when I used to shop there. Also when Woolworths went. They had so much of my pocket money you wouldn't believe it.

Just my thoughts

Mark
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 17:34   #9
Beacon of light

Yes, Mark...much of what you say is true.
There are some folk in our communities though who cannot access the Internet.
They tend to be older folk who distrust this way of doing business.
The disappearance of branches of banks is also a nail in the coffin of small traders.
There has been much made of trying to get us to go down the route of a cashless society.
This does not sit well with me.
When you can see physical cash in your purse it focuses your mind wonderfully on what you can actually afford.

I really don't think the originator of this thread meant that though.
I think what he was trying to say is ' Accyweb is dead '....and though it isn't dead, it has far fewer participants than it used to have.
A forum only stays vibrant by people coming and exchanging thoughts and ideas.

Many former members, I think may have migrated to Facebook and Hyndburn Chat.
This does not do it for me as the format does not lend itself to a forum type layout....that and the fact that I do not do FB.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:30   #10
Beacon of light

My feelings are that the originator of the post came here with his sneering post to further promote the use of recreational cannabis. He has been a strong supported of recreational use of this stuff in the past.
I really feel he has no interest in the use of the oil for medical purposes.
Just because something has a medicinal use does not mean that the rules regarding the illegal use of the substance should be relaxed.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:24   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

All that needs relaxing is the stuff that medical people deem useful in treatment, certainly not the crap they sell on the streets.
Old 13-06-2018, 21:52   #12

The whole drug thing will always be a heated subject but fir what its worth this is my take.

I have a friend who suffers badly with MS. She doesn't take it although there is evidence to suggest it would help with her pain. I do think that in the case where it is proven to relieve pain it could be prescribed to those that need it as long as any side effects or dependency issues are in line with those of other medications. However those who use it for recreational purposes now bang on about its medicinal properties as a way of trying to get everybody to see that if its medicinal it cant do you any harm. (Not time for that old roast chestnut surely and wait theres more). I am sure kestrel like a lot of other users of drugs and I include alcohol and tobacco in this will give the line " I can give it up anytime I want" Yeah right so speaketh the addict. Debate that one.
Old 16-06-2018, 08:52   #13

It seems kestrelx is rehashing (or maybe I should say re-hashish-ing, sorry couldn’t help myself) a subject of which he freely admits he has first-hand knowledge apparently through force of habit.

I agree that the use of medicinal cannabis for someone who really does need it to ease their suffering should be allowed and if that person is suffering a terminal illness then the worry of possibly becoming addicted is of little or no consequence. As kestrelx undoubtedly knows, and as it has already been pointed out, medicinal cannabis and t’other stuff are not the same thing. It’s that other stuff that should not be legalised as there’s enough addled brains out there without encouraging more.

However kestrelx instead of criticising (and insulting) this forum and those who read it and/or subscribe to it why not bring some interesting discussions to it like other members do. After looking back at some of the other threads you have contributed to in the past I’m sure you have much more to offer other than a dopey topic.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 14:44   #14
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

I see Dotti has been "pun"ishing in her assesment, way to go lass, way to go!
dotti34 and Big Joe like this.
Old 16-06-2018, 17:13   #15
Beacon of light

The reason that this young boy has not been allowed to have the cannabis oil is because unlike other medicinal compounds, this oil contains THC(tetrahydrocannabinol) this is the component in marijuana that has psychoactive properties.(and make it illegal)
Other medicinal compounds that are prescribed do not have this component.

Anyway, I am sure that today I heard on the news that he is going to be given the oil that limits his seizures...and that currently he is in hospital and under medical supervision.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..