Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-09-2012, 21:08   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Accrington Market Hall or Lancashire furniture?

Haven't bee....oh wait....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
The cafe's are fine -didn't ask for potato pie though -could be a line to explore for a new stall-holder though, with peas of course.

It's hard to keep in line with the tastes of the local folk - a good home-made Italian gastronomy stall could do well -will begin to research it...
....been into the market hall to actually site down and eat for quite a while(since before they did it up). I do love the corn beef hash from the butty van outside
Old 14-09-2012, 21:08   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
but the heart seems to have gone out of the place as peoples shopping habits have changed.
No, it's not to do with changing shopping habits. The council have ripped the heart out of the place - first the outside market and now the market hall. I've been in three different markets over the last few weeks - Bolton, Leigh and Wigan - none of them have the good fortune to be in a stunning Victorian building like Accrington's, but they're all bustling, busy and full of life unlike ours which now has a listless, semi-deserted air about it. They're busy because they do what markets are supposed to do, sell a wide range of cheap and cheerful items, along with traditional foods, all at good value for money. No art displays, no empty spaces littered with benches, no small business units, just retail commerce, pure and simple.
Old 14-09-2012, 21:09   #18

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It's a market hall.

People go there hoping to buy stuff they want.

Not to browse expensive antiques, or check out the latest trends in cutting edge design.

He seems to have a good turn-over when I go past twice a week.

At least he's making a friggin' livin', and it's not yet one more empty space in there, where stall holders once plied their trade for generations.
100% agree...

its cheap tat...but not everyone can afford Taskers quality, furnished my first home with mdf furniture from mfi, a plastic covered suite from cavendish, woodchip wallpaper and cord carpets......everyone starts somewhere
Old 14-09-2012, 21:16   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
No, it's not to do with changing shopping habits. The council have ripped the heart out of the place - first the outside market and now the market hall. I've been in three different markets over the last few weeks - Bolton, Leigh and Wigan - none of them have the good fortune to be in a stunning Victorian building like Accrington's, but they're all bustling, busy and full of life unlike ours which now has a listless, semi-deserted air about it. They're busy because they do what markets are supposed to do, sell a wide range of cheap and cheerful items, along with traditional foods, all at good value for money. No art displays, no empty spaces littered with benches, no small business units, just retail commerce, pure and simple.
Spot on, was in one in Plymouth yesterday was quite busy wi just stalls n couple of cafes in, Was in Burys last week that was heaving, Accys its been said countless times has been utterly destroyed,
Old 14-09-2012, 21:19   #20
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Hoe many new businesses are there, still upstairs?

Lots seemed to have closed.

Not much passing trade up there, except for the odd passing trapeze artist, if all you're selling is a few Free Trade feathers and beads.

Nearly as many unrented units up yonder, as there are spaces downstairs, where once there were stalls floggin' stuff, folk would fork out to buy.

Last edited by garinda; 14-09-2012 at 21:21.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 21:20   #21
Senior Member+

We used to have a cracking market in Accy when we had the market stalls ouside covered with canvas. I used to love going to the pot fair
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 21:25   #22
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
100% agree...

its cheap tat...but not everyone can afford Taskers quality, furnished my first home with mdf furniture from mfi, a plastic covered suite from cavendish, woodchip wallpaper and cord carpets......everyone starts somewhere
I furnished my first home with gratefully received third-hand furniture, and orange crates, which l turned into book cases.

Old 14-09-2012, 21:29   #23
God Member

Quote:
I furnished my first home with gratefully received third-hand furniture, and orange crates, which l turned into book cases.

Idem -mostly second hand stuff donated ny family members trying to get shut of a load of tat. had to choose between a TV and Washing machine.

Spent 50,000 lira (not a lot, believe me then-probably £20) on the market in Broni for some basic cooking equipment in 1987 -most of which I'm still using -what you bought back then was good quality.

Just remembered covering an orange crate in a piece of yellow striped cotton as a telephone table...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 21:35   #24
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hoe many new businesses are there, still upstairs?

Lots seemed to have closed.

Not much passing trade up there, except for the odd passing trapeze artist, if all you're selling is a few Free Trade feathers and beads.

Nearly as many unrented units up yonder, as there are spaces downstairs, where once there were stalls floggin' stuff, folk would fork out to buy.
Putting small businesses and arty crafty type places up there was a halfbaked idea which was bound to fail. It's Accy for crying out loud, not Covent Garden. A thoroughly depressing experience walking round the market now for those who can remember when it was the lively, bustling heart of the town.
Old 14-09-2012, 21:41   #25
God Member

Quote:
Putting small businesses and arty crafty type places up there was a halfbaked idea which was bound to fail. It's Accy for crying out loud, not Covent Garden. A thoroughly depressing experience walking round the market now for those who can remember when it was the lively, bustling heart of the town.
The problem is that things change over the years and you have to keep up with change. Back in the 1920's there were over 20 tripe stalls in Accy now there isn't even a cheese stall in the market...

It's a sign of the times to some extent -if the town hall want to maintain a bustling center they need to reduce rents and promote the town center more...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 14-09-2012, 21:45   #26
God Member

Perhaps Ms Ellie "Stinky" boots should set up shop in the Market Hall -she seems to have attracted a lot of attention in a short time

Could be the future of the Market Hall -a few pretty red lights - a kleenex stall in the corner .I see great success... could save the town from ruin

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 14-09-2012, 21:50   #27
Resting In Peace

Potato pie peas and gravy with hot Vimto in the market hall was always my ritual on visiting Accy. I do love corned beef hash too - will look out for that one!

But it's the same in Morecambe - the pie and peas and CB hash places now do panninis (YUK!) and pizzas instead. I usually go for a bacon butty...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Haven't bee....oh wait....

....been into the market hall to actually site down and eat for quite a while(since before they did it up). I do love the corn beef hash from the butty van outside
Old 14-09-2012, 21:53   #28
Senior Member+

A touch of Jealousy?

Quote:
Perhaps Ms Ellie "Stinky" boots should set up shop in the Market Hall -she seems to have attracted a lot of attention in a short time

Could be the future of the Market Hall -a few pretty red lights - a kleenex stall in the corner .I see great success... could save the town from ruin
Old 14-09-2012, 21:55   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The problem is that things change over the years and you have to keep up with change. Back in the 1920's there were over 20 tripe stalls in Accy now there isn't even a cheese stall in the market...

It's a sign of the times to some extent -if the town hall want to maintain a bustling center they need to reduce rents and promote the town center more...
No, as Wynonie pointed out, nothing to do with demographics, or changes in shopping habits. Other town's markets are still thriving, and bustling.

The once, until relatively recently, busy and successful markets in Accy, are on their uppers because of the intervention of clowns, who wouldn't know their arse from their pound of tripe.

Restoration fine.

Constantly arsing about with something that wasn't broken...madness.

Sadly for those who still bother going, we see the depressing evidence of this, on each visit.

Last edited by garinda; 14-09-2012 at 21:57.
Old 14-09-2012, 21:55   #30
Senior Member+

Nah. HAH. Got my attention by friend request and visitor message. As so others I imagine

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..