Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-09-2012, 21:55   #31
God Member

Re: Accrington Market Hall or Lancashire furniture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Potato pie peas and gravy with hot Vimto in the market hall was always my ritual on visiting Accy. I do love corned beef hash too - will look out for that one!

But it's the same in Morecambe - the pie and peas and CB hash places now do panninis (YUK!) and pizzas instead. I usually go for a bacon butty...

I absolutely hate the use of the word Panino or "Paninis" in the English version -panino means sandwich -how bluddy stupid can you get -same old, same old.

Sorry am that way our right now -some things get right up my nose -better if I close here...

Love Vimto though especially hot in winter!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-09-2012, 21:57   #32
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
The problem is that things change over the years and you have to keep up with change. Back in the 1920's there were over 20 tripe stalls in Accy now there isn't even a cheese stall in the market...

It's a sign of the times to some extent -if the town hall want to maintain a bustling center they need to reduce rents and promote the town center more...
Yes, you change in the type of things you sell - obviously, you couldn't have a multitude of tripe stalls now, because very few (apart from me ) eat it. What you do NOT do is change the function of a market, which is to sell cheap and cheerful goods and wholesome, traditional foods at value for money prices - not provide a venue for performance art or empty spaces for people to sit and stare into space.

And, no, it's not a sign of the times. If it was, every town market would be a shadow of its former self and that is not the case. Go and take a look at Bury market - it's everything that Accrington market should be but isn't. The present problems of Accy market are caused by successive councils meddling with one of the main assets of the town.
Old 14-09-2012, 22:02   #33
Senior Member+

I don't think it necessarily a bad thing that tripe is in limited supply. Knowing what it is.... YUK

My mates granddad used to eat it often. Tried it once as a kid. UGH was the response. Is it white and flabby looking?
Old 14-09-2012, 22:02   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Yes, you change in the type of things you sell - obviously, you couldn't have a multitude of tripe stalls now, because very few (apart from me ) eat it. What you do NOT do is change the function of a market, which is to sell cheap and cheerful goods and wholesome, traditional foods at value for money prices - not provide a venue for performance art or empty spaces for people to sit and stare into space.

And, no, it's not a sign of the times. If it was, every town market would be a shadow of its former self and that is not the case. Go and take a look at Bury market - it's everything that Accrington market should be but isn't. The present problems of Accy market are caused by successive councils meddling with one of the main assets of the town.

I wholeheartedly agree -the market hall in accy and the arcade are amazing spaces -really beautiful and they are not used to their best. I used to go to the market with my mum every Saturday morning to do the shopping and we'd meet my grandparents at some point even if not planned -we also went to the library. It was buzzing with people doing their shopping -supermarkets have taken the heart out of the town...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 14-09-2012, 22:05   #35
God Member

Quote:

Our generation is spoiled Restless -if you were hungry you would have eaten it- it's also about habit and what was available...aso how much families had to spend - Try telling familes on benefits to save money by eating tripe these days

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 14-09-2012, 22:05   #36
Senior Member+

Our friend Ernie moved from Accy to Bury years ago. Until he died, my parents visited often. My dad still goes over to buy stuff. Black puddings and other stuff. Some kind of fruit pie that only a place in Bury does good.
Old 14-09-2012, 22:07   #37
Resting In Peace

Yes but they're not English type sandwiches they're on those disgusting panini rolls and then even worse, pressed and toasted.
Quote:
I absolutely hate the use of the word Panino or "Paninis" in the English version -panino means sandwich -how bluddy stupid can you get -same old, same old.

Sorry am that way our right now -some things get right up my nose -better if I close here...

Love Vimto though especially hot in winter!
Old 14-09-2012, 22:08   #38
Resting In Peace

Yes. like the people who eat it... only joking, I like it, just don't know where to buy it round here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Is it white and flabby looking?
Old 14-09-2012, 22:11   #39
Senior Member+

Now. Print that into a leaflet and post it around shadsworth. Some tripe stalls might get some extra business

Quote:
Our generation is spoiled Restless -if you were hungry you would have eaten it- it's also about habit and what was available...aso how much families had to spend - Try telling familes on benefits to save money by eating tripe these days
I get the point. But hey I am happy to eat instead.
Old 14-09-2012, 22:16   #40
Super Moderator

Quote:
It was buzzing with people doing their shopping -supermarkets have taken the heart out of the town...
There are supermarkets in or around every town, but they haven't taken the heart out of it. I've been in Leigh this afternoon. There are Tescos, Asda, Sainsbury, Aldi and Lidl stores in the town, the market hall is a plastic shed and there is none of the graceful Victorian architecture that characterises Accy centre. Yet the town was far more busy than Accy's will be tomorrow afternoon - the prime shopping day.
Old 14-09-2012, 22:21   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
No, as Wynonie pointed out, nothing to do with demographics, or changes in shopping habits. Other town's markets are still thriving, and bustling.

The once, until relatively recently, busy and successful markets in Accy, are on their uppers because of the intervention of clowns, who wouldn't know their arse from their pound of tripe.

Restoration fine.

Constantly arsing about with something that wasn't broken...madness.

Sadly for those who still bother going, we see the depressing evidence of this, on each visit.
Missed several posts while blabbing -The demise of the market in recent times really gets to me, even as an infrequent user. It has been made so beautiful aesthetically and yet they have taken the heart out of it. I think the main issue is the ruin of the outside market .Whoever gave the word to pull down the old outside market -this person should be lynched.

The variety of fruit and veg stalls, eggs, cheese, materials and cloths, patterns for dress-making plus the rest...the sweet stall , the old fish market - I would bring 'em back in the flutter of an eyelid...along with the benches along Broadway and the flowers but then i'm a romantic...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 14-09-2012, 22:29   #42
Super Moderator

Quote:
The variety of fruit and veg stalls, eggs, cheese, materials and cloths, patterns for dress-making plus the rest...the sweet stall , the old fish market
THAT'S it...that's what markets are about the world over! What a pity the council were far too stupid to see it!
Old 14-09-2012, 22:35   #43
God Member

Quote:
THAT'S it...that's what markets are about the world over! What a pity the council were far too stupid to see it!
It's what I remember as a girl -we used to go into the library to change our books and meet grandad who was reading the papers as he did there every day...a cup of tea in the Copper Kettle on Abbey street and I used to spend my spending money in Wardleworths after mum had checked out the Wool Shop and the Lucky Shoe shop...

I got my wedding dress ...such as it was from Just a Second...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 14-09-2012, 22:53   #44
Give, give, give member

Quote:
It's what I remember as a girl -we used to go into the library to change our books and meet grandad who was reading the papers as he did there every day...a cup of tea in the Copper Kettle on Abbey street and I used to spend my spending money in Wardleworths after mum had checked out the Wool Shop and the Lucky Shoe shop...

I got my wedding dress ...such as it was from Just a Second...
The Copper Kettle's still there.

Was in the other week.

Incidentally one of the best salads I've ever had.

Totally unchanged English cafe.

Kept expecting Julie Walters to come out.

Fantastic survivor.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 22:55   #45
God Member

Forgot to mention the automatic photo booth in Woolies-many a photo taken there with my sister, Denise, friends Charlotte and Lisa - before going to the classic cinema for the Saturday morning cinema club...

~ D. H. Lawrence

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..