Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-09-2012, 19:48   #1
Junior Member+

Accrington Market Hall or Lancashire furniture?

This furniture stall is making the market look like a junk shop . this is the last straw he's now taken over the seating area, and making up flat packs there. I have already sent a letter to the market , no wonder people think the towns markets and shops are going to pot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wardrobe.jpg (242.1 KB, 38 views)
spacecadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-09-2012, 19:54   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Accrington Market Hall or Lancashire furniture?

Yes, terrible.

Market halls weren't built so some cheeky upstart could sell stuff in them.

Our forefathers built them so future generations could sit there, watching some nice community art event.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 20:07   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Yes, terrible.

Market halls weren't built so some cheeky upstart could sell stuff in them.

Our forefathers built them so future generations could sit there, watching some nice community art event.
Cheeky upstart!

You know what Spacecadet meant - a touch of class and quality! Good God -there isnt even a second-hand book-stall (that which I miss the most)or a cheese stall, among others, there's only one tripe stall left - I can't sleep for my Grand-mother turning in her grave...

The Market Hall has always been a place which has represented the heart and the citizens of the town -their needs and taste...has Accy become a load of cheap flat-packs and undesireable charity shops?

Wanted to avoid mentioning the outside market but i can't resist - it is a disgrace -selling cheap tacky stuff and famous store seconds just about to go outside sellby date -has the town no pride left...?!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 20:27   #4
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Cheeky upstart!

You know what Spacecadet meant - a touch of class and quality! Good God -there isnt even a second-hand book-stall (that which I miss the most)or a cheese stall, among others, there's only one tripe stall left - I can't sleep for my Grand-mother turning in her grave...

The Market Hall has always been a place which has represented the heart and the citizens of the town -their needs and taste...has Accy become a load of cheap flat-packs and undesireable charity shops?

Wanted to avoid mentioning the outside market but i can't resist - it is a disgrace -selling cheap tacky stuff and famous store seconds just about to go outside sellby date -has the town no pride left...?!
It's a market hall.

People go there hoping to buy stuff they want.

Not to browse expensive antiques, or check out the latest trends in cutting edge design.

He seems to have a good turn-over when I go past twice a week.

At least he's making a friggin' livin', and it's not yet one more empty space in there, where stall holders once plied their trade for generations.

Old 14-09-2012, 20:37   #5
Super Moderator

Personally, I'd get rid of the seating area altogether and put stalls back in there. Put the benches out the front of the market hall to replace the ones that were "experimentally" taken away.
Old 14-09-2012, 20:40   #6
Junior Member+

I did not really mean cheap stuff.... I meant that he is taking over the market, a lady with a pram could not even get past: there is furniture all over the place , outside the front we have a double bed... then next to the cafe we have another bed and other stuff. all over the outside lines of his stall and then next to mathews he's got another stall in there. it just looks so bad.
Old 14-09-2012, 20:40   #7
Senior Member+

Seems to me like most of it would be empty space if that dude didn't artfully misplace furniture everywhere. Least they could do is put comfortable furniture there so we could sit on them whilst the sold them
Old 14-09-2012, 20:42   #8
Junior Member+

At least he's making a friggin' livin', and it's not yet one more empty space in there, where stall holders once plied their trade for generations.[/quote]

yes fair enough, however there is a limit:
Old 14-09-2012, 20:48   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecadet View Post
I did not really mean cheap stuff.... I meant that he is taking over the market, a lady with a pram could not even get past: there is furniture all over the place , outside the front we have a double bed... then next to the cafe we have another bed and other stuff. all over the outside lines of his stall and then next to mathews he's got another stall in there. it just looks so bad.
I buy bacon from the butcher's facing it.

I have mobility issues, because I have Parkinson's.

I go past the stall twice a week, ever since he's been there, and have never, ever faced any obstruction.

Old 14-09-2012, 20:49   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It's a market hall.

People go there hoping to buy stuff they want.

Not to browse expensive antiques, or check out the latest trends in cutting edge design.

He seems to have a good turn-over when I go past twice a week.

At least he's making a friggin' livin', and it's not yet one more empty space in there, where stall holders once plied their trade for generations.

Fair enough -I can't really comment -the last time I was in the market hall was when I was over in April -I bought some sweets to bring home and generally found it to be a pleasant place to be. Enjoyed Atarah and company's museum and the tea -shop. There was also a good exhibition of local art from amateurs upstairs. The rennovation is great and i have some really good photos of it all -but the heart seems to have gone out of the place as peoples shopping habits have changed.

My Gt-grandmother shopped on a daily basis as her household journals attest -most people now shop once week at a supermarket. The market hall was once one of the hubs of the town where all gossip was exchanged and it was at the center of the townsfolks dealings -probably more gossip is now exchanged on Accyweb...sad but a sign of the times.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 14-09-2012, 20:50   #11
Give, give, give member

As for 'looking bad'.

Speaking aesthetically, no it doesn't.

In context, as a market stall, in a market hall, it looks perfectly fine.

Old 14-09-2012, 20:52   #12
Senior Member+

di. I sure do miss the potato pie in the cafe
Old 14-09-2012, 20:52   #13
Give, give, give member

I actually think their lighting display, visually scores better than fine.

Old 14-09-2012, 20:55   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecadet View Post
however there is a limit:
What's the limit?

Care to expand, on what should, and shouldn't be allowed in a market hall?

Old 14-09-2012, 21:05   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
di. I sure do miss the potato pie in the cafe
The cafe's are fine -didn't ask for potato pie though -could be a line to explore for a new stall-holder though, with peas of course.

It's hard to keep in line with the tastes of the local folk - a good home-made Italian gastronomy stall could do well -will begin to research it...

~ D. H. Lawrence

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..