Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-06-2007, 07:19   #31
Resident Waffler

Re: Accrington Pal's

Well I did say Dowry Street. Is Arago Street the other one?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-06-2007, 12:25   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
steeljack, st johns church has Dowry st, one side, Maudsley st, the other, Addison street runs along the bottom wall, forget the street at the top which ran past the infants school, which adjoined the church.its a fair way from the blockade mate,nearest pub is the Great Eastern, hope that helps.
You are starting to sound like a Canadian .... giving directions using pubs and bars as landmarks ... or maybe we inherited it from the old country. Much better than using churches as landmarks. "St. Mary's ... where is that?" "Oh, just down the street from Ben's Pub, on the right". "Ah, ok."
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 12:25   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
happy clappy, and that only a small percentage are C of E.
I think teh term you were looking for is 'progressive' oh and soem CofE would be deemed 'happy clappy' by your terms.

St Johns in Baxenden use LCD projectors instead of hymn books, use video clips from blockbuster films during sermons, have drums, keyboards, giutars and singers at teh front and don't often sing traditional hymns

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 16:08   #34

Mr. Collinson. Now there's a blast from the past! He was one of my teachers. Packed away somewhere in this house, I have group photos of my time at St. John's and I know he's in one of those. Will have to find them and take a little trip down memory lane.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 23:38   #35
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I think teh term you were looking for is 'progressive' oh and soem CofE would be deemed 'happy clappy' by your terms.
Evangelical, or charismatic, with a bit of happy clapping, would have been more accurate.

No offence meant...to any clappers.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 00:15   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
Mr. Collinson. Now there's a blast from the past! He was one of my teachers. Packed away somewhere in this house, I have group photos of my time at St. John's and I know he's in one of those. Will have to find them and take a little trip down memory lane.
miss thurman, miss plaice,mr collinson, all taught me, be strange if were on the same group photo. oh forgot miss riley,lol

Last edited by cashman; 16-06-2007 at 00:16. Reason: addition
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 15:48   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
miss thurman, miss plaice,mr collinson, all taught me, be strange if were on the same group photo. oh forgot miss riley,lol
When I attended, it was Mrs. Hargreaves, Miss Wilkinson, Mrs. Thurman, Mr. Collinson and Mr. Plaice. Over the weekend, I found group photos for the classes of Miss Wilkinson, Mrs. Thurman and Mr. Collinson.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 21:39   #38
God Member

Its a real shame all the churches are being knocked down and replaced with offices and supermarkets or being sold to convert to houses

Thankfully my church has what I call a decent sized congregation so I dont think it will be proposed to shut it down.

I dont get time to go like I used to at school, I used to sing in the choirs. I would hate it if my church got knocked down just to build a shop or something there.

As already said though the main problem is with church attendance figures and its not just happening in accy, its happening all over the country. The best thing to do about it is to attend a church regularly, otherwise all they'll do is keep knocking them down.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 15:58   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Its a real shame all the churches are being knocked down and replaced with offices and supermarkets or being sold to convert to houses

Thankfully my church has what I call a decent sized congregation so I dont think it will be proposed to shut it down.

I dont get time to go like I used to at school, I used to sing in the choirs. I would hate it if my church got knocked down just to build a shop or something there.

As already said though the main problem is with church attendance figures and its not just happening in accy, its happening all over the country. The best thing to do about it is to attend a church regularly, otherwise all they'll do is keep knocking them down.
But there is an unsettling irony in this. The reason that people are not going to church is that they no longer believe. And one of the major reasons for this death of belief is the carnage of WW1. It is no accident that the growth of existentialism roughly coincides with the war. The major rhetorical question on the minds of the people who lived thro' it goes something like "how can one believe in the existence of a benevolent god, when one has seen hell run unchecked on earth?" One Job we can accept, but not tens of millions. And what happens twenty years after the war to end all wars? Real evil, with a disarmingly silly tache, again runs amok.

But the irony is that the church which contains the memorial to the Pals may become a casualty of the war in which the Pals fought so bravely.
Old 21-06-2007, 16:05   #40
Resident Waffler

Sometimes I think God must despair of humanity when we cause so much carnage and then turn against him because of it. Maybe the Charlie Chaplin wannabe actually thought he was God.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 19:36   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Sometimes I think God must despair of humanity when we cause so much carnage and then turn against him because of it. Maybe the Charlie Chaplin wannabe actually thought he was God.
I vaguely remember a piece of doggrell from WW1, it goes something like:

Gott straffe England,

God save the King,

God do this, God do that,

God do everything.

Good God, said God,

I've got my work cut out.
Old 24-06-2007, 23:52   #42
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

nice to know that so many friends and strangers can come to gether just like the pals's of long a go
mab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 12:53   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab View Post
What a shame that the Church of England has decided to close in stead of repair not just a place of worship but a church and chapal dedicated to the men of ACCRINGTON who gave everything....i for one as a councial tax payer of Hyndburn think in stead of hyndburn councial thinking of spending thousands of pounds on a name change,why not put the money to better use!! and pay for the rewiring repairs and buy the church for ACCRINGTON and let the pals have there home for ever.
Can I just add that I agree with Peter Britcliffe's comments (not often you see those words on here)in this week's Observer when he said that it would not be appropriate to bail St John's out as there will be other churches in need of similar help in the future and it would not be possible to give money to them all.It really is down to the Church of England and the people of the parish.I hope they find a good home for the Pals chapel though,maybe St James in Accy centre would be a good place for it.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 20:42   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Isnt this a bit of a 'get out of jail free' card believers use to explain why their God has seen fit not to interfere with his creations continuing efforts to destroy each other. As Mr Pacino said God is an absentee landlord at best.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 21:03   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Can I just add that I agree with Peter Britcliffe's comments (not often you see those words on here)in this week's Observer when he said that it would not be appropriate to bail St John's out as there will be other churches in need of similar help in the future and it would not be possible to give money to them all.It really is down to the Church of England and the people of the parish.I hope they find a good home for the Pals chapel though,maybe St James in Accy centre would be a good place for it.
Just a bit unfortunate that he had recently said that he would do anything in his power to help the church though!

Actually I agree that if you help one you would have to help them all.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..